Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

canuckanese posted:

In low level leagues, hell in most adult rec leagues, losing by three goals is hardly a blowout. If my team lost 9-1 or something like that and they were celebrating like they won the Cup, then I might get annoyed, but it's just part of playing. The other team is happy they won, let them enjoy it. Most of the time when it's a blowout by 7-8 goals, they won't be assholes about it.

Just focus on improving your own game every time you get on the ice. Lower level leagues are about learning the game and having fun, who cares if you win or lose?

Also, how long has your team been together? A lot of the time some teams are just better because the guys have been playing with each other for a few seasons and know each other's tendencies and playing styles. Maybe once your team gels a little bit more you'll find you're playing better as a group.

The biggest thing is focusing on what you can control. Don't get worked up too much about whether the other team is celebrating like dicks and as annoying as ringers can be, every league has them and at a certain point you just need to make peace with it. You'll also find as you play longer that the ringers normally aren't as good as you thought they were and teams will adapt to them and start shutting them down. Normally it will be guys who cherry pick (not play D and wait by the blue line for a long outlet pass) or guys who are skilled, but buckle once people start playing them a little more physically. Also, continuity is important. It can take anywhere from 2-3 seasons for a team to settle down and everyone to get comfortable, but once you hit that point you can make big strides with virtually the same guys. Also, as others have suggested, find some clinics/skills sessions, stick & puck, and even open hockey. Get out there and work on developing your skills and play some better players. If you only ever face C-leaguers, then you'll never move past that level, but if you go up against better players, watch what they do, and push yourself a little harder to try and keep up with them, then you can improve quite a bit.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

poser posted:

The guy who runs our league could be a bit snarky at times..

The director for one of my league's posted something similar:

quote:

2 things all hockey players should do:

Referee a hockey game
Play goalie

Your attitude about these parts of hockey will be enlightened. Things are different when all eyes are on you. Pressure can make or break!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

I would love a chance to play in net a couple times just for the "walk in their shoes" bit, but gently caress if I'm gonna drop $1000 on pads to find out I hate it.

Rinks and some goalies will have gear that you can borrow. It may not be the best gear, but it's enough to give you a feel for the position.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

joeburz posted:

Surprised to see a penalty shot called ever in a beer league game.

They happen, but it is pretty rare. I think I've only faced 3 or 4 in the couples years I've been playing in leagues.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bradf0rd posted:

The ones I've seen are typically for the same stuff as HZ sees: non-goalies covering the puck in the crease. No one is really trying hard enough that often to backcheck on a breakaway.

This exact situation came up tonight. The refs claimed one of my defensemen covered the puck and they awarded the other team a penalty shot. I was annoyed by that, so on the penalty shot, I came out about 6 feet from the top of the crease and tackled the shooter. I made the save, so it worked.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

Vindication: heard this morning that the guy who was on my team and gave me poo poo attitude all the time was "uninvited" from the beer league for having a crappy attitude.

And here I thought it was just me. :allears:

Also I actually managed to deke a couple guys this morning and control the puck in tight quarters.. which is a first. Incremental improvements!

Having a bad attitude is the easiest way to get kicked off a team. Even if someone is a good player, people will only put up with that for so long.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

loving bro hug posted:

This is good to know. I haven't quite gotten my pre-game/post-game eating and hydration right yet and find myself getting queasy more often than not before a game is done.

In general, eating 3-4 hours before playing is fine. Just be careful to not anything that might make you feel sick later. As for water, hydrate in the 24 hours leading up to your ice time and then ease back on your water consumption about 45 minutes before skating.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Those sweaters look awful. Hopefully, Nike doesn't do that to Sweden's sweaters too.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sellouts posted:

Jesus christ dude. Again?? Just kidding. The pants were a little small for him but they worked. Thanks again for that.

It's good to know that goalies aren't the only gear whores.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't like ordering things on the world wide webs. I hear it's dangerous.

I don't think it is unusual to be concerned about giving your credit card information to a business selling counterfeit jerseys. There are protections built in with most credit cards and on the merchant side, the customer can issue a chargeback and enough chargebacks can lead to a company potentially losing their merchant account. It would also be reasonable to have concerns about how securely they store their data. If things go wrong it could be a hassle to get straightened out and I'm not sure that's worth saving some money on a jersey, but I guess that answer will be different for everyone.

I'm not really a fan of these. I agree that jerseys are priced unreasonably and that RBK and the NHL should make some concessions and reduce the price to make it easier for people to purchase officially licensed goods, but I'm not sure if the desire is there.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

Time to vent.

Played defense tonight. We played against a team that's won the league four of the last five season and haven't been kicked out because they're friends with the league director. Who actually tried to play for them. Whatever. They have a lot of team speed and the defensemen are busting rear end because we are spending 75% of the time in our zone and sprinting to get to pucks that inevitably turn over at the blue line anyways.

Our goalie isn't great, but I don't mind. Me and my partner go back to collect a puck that has been dumped in, I yell at the goalie (not mean, but to make sure he hears me) to stop it for us. Doesn't move. He just watches it go around the net. I bust my rear end to try and get it as it wraps around, but I don't get to it in time and their offense sets up and I bust my rear end and when we finally clear, I get my winded rear end to the bench.

Very next shift, same drat thing. WTF. I'm kinda pissed and yell "Goddammit goalie!!"

But I calm down and next whistle, I go over and tell him, "hey man, you gotta help us out and stop a puck or two behind the net." And he flips. "What, you want me to do your loving job!?" Well, no, it's not my job to stop dump-ins behind the net, but whatever. Well, maybe it is my job, but it's his job, too.

"Yes."

"OK, I'll do your loving job!!"

And I just think...whatever. Period ends, I head back to the bench and so does goalie, who starts up again.

"Hey, defensemen: if you don't want to do your loving jobs maybe you should move up to forward instead!!" And it gets kind of heated and there's some yelling back and forth (I don't participate) but it all calms down and we keep on playing.

We get to the locker room and we've all calmed down, and he starts explaining to me his point of view, which can be summed up as "I'm not Marty Turco, therefore I will NEVER stop a puck behind the net for you, ever."

And I just can't believe anybody would have that attitude. I know that he's not the best skater or stickhandler or whatever, but he won't even make any effort to try and stop a puck for us? Absolutely refuses? We bust our asses to keep pucks out of his net for 60 minutes and that's the teammate he is going to be? Can't help, won't even try? I'm really thinking about taking his suggestion and moving to forward, because I'm just not sure that I want to play for a goalie who straight up refuses to help out his D. I think that's totally lovely.

There's definitely no excuse for his attitude, he should be willing to help out his teammates even if it's not something that he's comfortable with. I was a little confused about your description though. Was the other team dumping the puck into your zone or were they passing/clearing the puck around the boards? If the other team is already attacking, then I can understand his reluctance to leave the net, but if they are dumpins, then he can make an attempt to stop them even if it's not something he's comfortable with.

You know as well as I do that a lot of beer league goalies aren't comfortable playing the puck or even skating out of the net and some teams even discourage it, so it does create an atmosphere where a goalie may not view playing the puck as part of his responsibilities. He should still help out when asked, but it sounds like he was frustrated by having the puck stuck his zone all game and he may have been overloaded with the thought of doing something he was uncomfortable with on top of everything else it.

How much do you play the puck when you're in net? I'll stop some dumpins and play the puck if the opportunity presents itself, but normally my defensemen just want me to stay out of the way. I've started playing the puck more in some situations and I suspect that I'll need to get even more involved in that aspect of the game this season. It's hard because confidence is everything with playing the puck, but it can get frustrating when your D gets mad at you for playing the puck. Usually, it's not a mistake, but they seem to get on edge if I wait "too long" to pass or clear the puck even though I'm purposely trying to draw in the attacker to create space for me to pass or clear the puck out of harms way. Goalies playing the puck is a really underdeveloped skill in beer leagues.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

It was both, I think. I don't really remember the details.

Yeah, I can certainly relate to being nervous and uncomfortable playing the puck, but...come on. I mean, you're a goalie right? If you signed up and thought you'd avoid having nervous or uncomfortable moments then you clearly made an awful choice.

Overall, it's just messed up and a lovely attitude to have toward your teammates and like you said, there's no excuse for it.

In terms of my net playing, I don't play that frequently anymore and when I do, it's drop-in so it's kind of lazy as it is. I do my best to stop everything I can before it gets out of reach for the defense and I try to set them up in a good spot or make a simple pass for them. I don't try to make any stretch passes or breakout, it's just too much for my limited skill.

Handling pressure is a big part of goaltending. Hopefully, he'll realize that he acted like an rear end and learn from his mistakes.

How is your ankle doing? Are you getting close to being able to play more net or do you think you'll be skating out for the foreseeable future?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I've had a couple seasons where I got hurt early on and just had to eat the registration fees. It sucked to pay to not play, but that's how things go sometime. That being said, I agree with sellouts on the idea of talking to commissioner or perhaps your teammates and seeing if you can find a player to replace him. If you can find a replacement player, have him pay the injured guy and everything is good. If your team would rather just not fill that roster spot, then the decision you have is to make him eat the cost or have everyone chip in $30, so they can get more ice time.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

Ankle is doing well. I basically don't think about it anymore, which is good and bad. I probably need to work on strengthening it, but I just don't because it doesn't really bother me day to day. I think at this point, it's not stopping me from playing net.

What's really stopping me is lifestyle. My job/hours change month to month, so it's hard to a team to play with regularly and the shinny I usually tend for is outdoor and therefore winter only. I've been skating out twice a week and that's probably too much so it may be awhile/never before I find a goaltending spot that really works with my need for flexibility. Which is too bad, because I'd really like to get back to it.

It's good to hear that your ankle is doing better. The schedule sounds like the hard bit. It's easier to deal with an inconsistent schedule as a skater, since that's just next man up. Your best bet may be finding a group that organizes their own games at hours that work better with your schedule. It won't be quite the same as a league, but would still be more structured than open hockey. Being a goalie involves a lot of responsibility and there are times where I envy the flexibility and relative anonymity that skaters have.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 10, 2013

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Doctor Butts posted:

Money is really tight for me this year with the baby and all, and my team is insisting on spending like $105 for a jersey. I might have to drop out, another 100+ is just something I can't afford. This would be the first full season of a beginner's league team. Everyone keeps saying "OH WELL YOU KNOW I'D RATHER SPEND FOR QUALITY FOR SOMETHING THAT'S GOING TO LAST...." gently caress that poo poo. I tried to tell them they're cheaper options and... well, we're a god drat beginners team, we don't need loving sewn on nameplates, huge rear end full color crests and poo poo with laces and a bunch of garbage.

edit: we already spent a hundred loving bucks on our 'home' jerseys and now they want to turn around and spend like crazy for a loving away jersey.

The sewn on name plates are never a good idea. It's a beer league, rosters will inevitably change, and they'll regret that. I understand the urge to want to get really nice jerseys and honestly, ordering jerseys can be a confusing process. I went through that when I started my team. I started off looking at jerseys with sewn on numbers and crests for around $80 and finally settled on screen printed jerseys for $40. The jerseys have held up very well over the course of a few seasons and I'm glad that I went with a cheaper option.

The thing that really sucks is that I'm getting low on jerseys and need to place an order for more very soon. I only get the $40 price on orders of 12 or more. The jerseys we have are a combination of player owned and team owned and I'll probably have the new players that want jerseys pay for theirs and then pay for the rest myself and see if anyone else will chip in. The other option is to try and buy back jerseys from some former players, but that may not work since I need to stock up on some specific sizes (e.g. XL and XXL).

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
One league is $460 for 18 regular season games and 3 guaranteed playoff or consolation games. The other is $450 for 20 games and a 1 guaranteed playoff game. Both offer some sort of early bird discount, which can knock anywhere from $30-50 off of the listed feeds, and goalies get half off. It seems like the pricing structure changes every season, so sometimes I can get a full discount as the captain/goalie.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

D C posted:

I brought my mini Jambox into the locker room during the playoffs last season, blasted Jock Jams Volume 1 to get everyone pumped for hockey.

There is also not much more rewarding then a howitzer from the point that goes in.

You watched the mites skate before your game while blasting "Rock and Roll Pt 2" on repeat, didn't you?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
The team that I run is having big problems giving up a lot of breakaways and high quality scoring chances. I know that a big part of it is that the the forwards and center typically end up deep in the offensive zone (e.g. behind the goal line or in front of the net), so that gives the other team numbers and passing lanes when they start heading towards our zone. I know at the very least we need to have our center hanging back towards the high slot if not further to help take away passing lanes and be in position to join the D on the back check. However, do you guys have any other recommendations on what we should be doing to limit breakaways?

Also, how do you guys handle cherry pickers? Do you just leave a defensemen back at your blue line with him and then a F/C drop back to the spot the D would normally be covering? Do you have the defensemen drop back towards the red line and then have the F/C that drops back hang around the top of the circle?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
This is typically something that you only do with higher skilled/good skating defensemen. If you have a guy without a ton of speed, then he's better off staying back, but a lot of teams will put their best skaters back on D and those tend to be guys who will want to jump into the play when the opportunity presents itself. What you need to do as a forward or center is keep an eye out for that player and drop back to fill whatever void he vacates (providing that you're the nearest players). If a forward or center drops back to fill the void, then you really shouldn't have problems with the play going back the other way. Some guys will do this more frequently than others, but as this becomes more common on the NHL (Jonas Brodin is a good example of this), then I think you'll see more guys want to jump in on the play.

As for bringing the puck up, I do agree with Coldwind that some forwards don't do a good job of positioning themselves to receive the pass, so I can understand why some D may decide to take the puck up themselves rather than make a dangerous pass that could result in sending the puck the other way.

I think these situations apply mainly to strong skating defensemen. An average defensemen is probably better staying back, but guys who are strong skaters have a bigger margin for error and should take more chances if they think they can capitalize on them.

I'm not a defensemen myself, but as a goalie who runs a team, I always try to find strong skating defensemen since they tend to be a big advantage at my level.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sellouts posted:

I think there's a pretty clear difference between a defenseman leading a carry-based breakout out of the zone and bull-in-a-chinashop rushing around. I agree though, Pinky. Without an understanding that someone is going to cover the D, it's not a very fun game.

I think if the D wants to lead a charge a handful of times in a game it's pretty easy to have someone be prepared to cover him with a little bit of communication out there. If the D is smart they'll reserve it for a matchup they like or a long or late line change leaving a lot of space and the other team out of position. A D leading a charge doesn't have to mean coast to coast carry either, which could help coldwind set up his players into a position where they might be able to more easily receive a shorter pass with less pressure on the north end of the ice rather than a faltering breakout buried in or near the defensive zone.

I also dunno how anyone expects their team to get better without them making a lot of mistakes, especially at the adult level.

Some mistakes are helpful and there are some mistakes that you could make a thousand times and not really learn anything from. If it's a case where a player has trouble handling breakout passes, then maybe reps will fix that. If it's a case where the player is out of position to either receive the pass or keep the rush going, then I don't think that making a bad play there will help anyone. Ideally what you want is the more experienced players to tell that guy how to be positioned to be useful on a breakout and when they start positioning themselves properly then reward them with a pass, but if that guy is flatfooted and turned the wrong way, then I don't blame the D for choosing to take the puck up himself. That being said, there are some D that will just carry the puck up every time and that's something you need to address as a team. Problems don't get better unless you try to communicate with your teammates, though depending on your person, you need to pick your spots. There's a line between being helpful and being overbearing.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sellouts posted:

Hah we had the opposite. 13 guys and a goalie showed up. We won and played well but it kinda was shocking that somehow that time was more convenient than the others.

It seems like guys with kids prefer later games.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I've run teams in a couple different leagues, usually with a wide age range, and the only thing I can say with consistency is that 9:30/10pm games usually bring the full roster. The 7pm ones get missed by guys who have more intense jobs, the 11/11:30 ones get missed by guys who work early or are coming from further away.

Still, I always run into roster size problems, I rarely hit the right number, because that number ends up being determined by the flakiness of the players. My teams always get drawn from a fairly big player pool, and sometimes I have to cap the roster size lower than normal because everyone who signs up first are the guys who are always there. We're starting a 4v4 league soon and I'm a little worried because I capped it at 13 instead of 12.

I think that my ideal roster size for 5X5 is 13 skaters, which seems to the sweet spot where I have enough guys that I don't need to track down subs all the time, but not so many players that forwards are bitching about ice time. I did have to give in and add a 14th skater this season, because we only had three guys who were willing to play defense full time. That caused a lot of problems since the 4th spot was being handled by committee and then we had quite a few absences on D on top of that, so we really needed another full time D to stabilize things.

The other factor is that since we have fewer than 15 skaters on the roster, we were not allowed to use subs, so that made absences on D a lot tougher to deal with. I actually had guys that could sub on D, but I just wasn't allowed to use them because of that stupid restriction.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Why do so many guys hate playing D?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm willing to bet Hockey Monkey makes the majority of their money on Mondays or Tuesdays.

Composite sticks are so drat expensive.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I know that there are some officials that post here. I'd like to know what contact to the head of the goalie is considered a penalty? I've had situations where I've taken stick and body contact to the head and while I get that contact in some situations like bending over to cover the puck may be deemed incidental, I'd like to know what contact you would deem worthy of a penalty? I know that there is an emphasis this year to penalize players for hits to the head, but from what I've noticed so far, I haven't seen this protection being extended to goalies.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

CMvan46 posted:

I'm an official for an adult safe hockey league and it varies wildly depending on situation and game flow.

If its a guy who I can tell has been looking for something all night I tend to have very little patience and anything even borderline to accidental I'll call as something.

In our league head contact (face washing, pushing the face, or punching his head) is 2 and 10 and body checking is 5 and a game so it has to be pretty deliberate, or as I said before coming from somebody I know is a poo poo disturber, to be called as such. If a goalie is going down and sprawling out and gets a stick to the mask in the chaos that isn't a penalty. If a guy skates by the net and gives you a shot, especially to the head, then that's a penalty every time I see it.

In all honesty though the goalie is one of the last players I look at on the ice unless the puck is right there. We use a 2 man system so my eye has to be on the puck nearly all the time because I'm also the linesman. So between that and making sure the rest of the players are doing things properly I rarely look at the goalie since typically they are all alone. Also one thing I get complaints about every single game, including all 3 I did tonight, is goalie interference or crease violations but what the goalie can't see is his own defence men pushing him there. That isn't a penalty and I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt in most cases when he is pushed in.

I hope that answers your question in one way or another.

Thanks for your response. That sort of confirms what I feared. I wouldn't expect a call on contact to the head when I'm sprawled out, unless it was deemed excessive (e.g. hacking at the back of the goalie's head after the puck is covered, it's not going to dislodge the puck and is just a dangerous play). I've also dealt with the issue of having teammates push guys into me, which is a really dangerous play and honestly, I wouldn't mind if my teammate would be penalized in those situations. What I've noticed a lot are guys doing excessive follow-throughs on shots near the net and guys trying to sneak in stick or elbow contact if they are in close to the crease. There have been some other instances too, but I'd need to think back to those specific situations.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Around 5 years of playing. Started out playing roller and then moved to ice:

1. Mild concussion (Jan 2012)
2. Grade II MCL tear in right knee (Mar 2012)
3. Grade II MCL tear and dislocated kneecap in left knee (Sep 2012)
4. Mild concussion (Oct 2013)

I've had a bunch of other minor things, but I've taken a beating as a goalie.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I always try and convince my dmen not to take penalties on my account, but its ingrained with a lot of hockey culture that you go after someone who takes too many whacks at the goalie. My guys mostly listen to me about it now, when an opposing forward crosses the line, I have ways of getting back at him myself without drawing a penalty (assuming he finds himself in front of me later in the game). Shoving around the crease always ups the tension of the game and leads to more penalties as the refs try to regain control. But never once have I been called for slashing the poo poo out of the back of some rear end in a top hat's calves.

The main issue I have with players shoving each other around the crease is that can lead to one of the players being pushed into or fall onto you. I had a defenseman get into a scrap and he shoved a guy only to have him crash into my head and I've had guys pushed into me while I'm in my butterfly. Both of those types of situations are really dangerous for the goaltender. I don't mind guys standing up for me, but most of the time I'd rather just move onto the next play.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

inSTAALed posted:

Ughhh I need to get my skates baked and first time sharpened today.

Always forget how expensive all that is. :(

Depending where you order the skates from, you can request to have them profile and sharpen the skates before they send them out to you.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Nitramster posted:

Definitely going to be trying things on.

For humors sake is there any stigmas with certain things, like colors or styles? Like with motorcycling if you wear white boots you had better be the fastest guy, or for cycling if you wear a yellow jersey you had better have won the race/tour for it?

Mirrored visors, white gloves/pants, and maybe neon skate lace.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

real_scud posted:

Hooray I guess. Went to the Dr this morning and he thinks it's just a sprained MCL that'll heal in a few weeks. Sucks that it means I can't play for a few weeks but at least it didn't require surgery.

Did he mention if it's a Grade 1 or Grade 2 MCL sprain? Hopefully, it's just a grade 1 sprain. At this stage, you can start riding an exercise bike for 5-10 minutes per day with no resistance, which will aide recovery. MCL injuries suck, but that ligament can normally heal well on its own.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

real_scud posted:

No, he didn't do an MRI because he thought it wouldn't really be worth it to have the insurance cost when he saw no major damage. Because of that I'm going to guess it was a grad 1 sprain.

He gave me a knee brace with a frame and said to wear it when I could, he didn't mention any exercise stuff and said to try to keep off it 6-8 weeks and it'll be good but he realized because I play sports he'll be lucky if I actually stay off it 2 whole weeks.

I'm not scheduled to play in net until the 24th and I'll look at how I feel closer to that day but realize it'd probably be best if I stayed off it an additional week to get almost 3 full weeks of healing in before I really try to go crazy.

I had 2 Grade 2 MCL tears in 2012. Both injuries took between 8-12 weeks for me to recover and the longer time frame was due to the increased stress that playing goal puts on my knees. Hopefully, your injury is only a Grade 1 tear, but 6-8 weeks is the usual time frame that they'll give you for a Grade 2 tear. I would highly recommend seeing a Physical Therapist. Make sure to find one who is covered by your insurance, but they'll teach you how to build up strength to support your knees and make sure that your injury heals properly. You want to be careful and make sure that you don't rush back too quickly aggravate the injury. Do you have a follow up appointment schedule with the Orthopedist or did he not think it was necessary?

Hopefully, it is only a Grade 1 tear and you recover quickly, but I really recommend being careful. If you skate out, then you should be able to return to that quicker, but playing goalie puts a lot of stress on your knees and leaves you stretched out in vulnerable positions that it is really easy to aggravate your injury if you rush back too quickly.

Edit: You'll want to wear the knee brace for at least two months after you return to the ice. You can add a little padding (~1/8" to 1/4" of foam) to the point where the your MCL hits the brace, that way it won't hurt when you butterfly and it won't impact the function of the brace.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Does anyone know where to track down the blue Nike Swedish Olympic jerseys from this year's Olympics? Neither Ice Jerseys nor NHL.com carry it. I found a version of it on the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation's site, but it looks like it is made out of the same weird material as my HV71 jersey and I'd like something that I could actually play in. Is there anywhere else where I could track down the Nike version of that jersey? I am looking for either a XXL or goalie cut.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

I'm looking for a crested jersey. I did nearly use K1 Swedish jerseys for one of my teams. I already have a yellow Swedish jersey from a couple years ago and just want to get one of the new blue ones to go with my leg pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Chemmy posted:

I can't imagine that if you get hit in the head that damping the rotation of the helmet will somehow stop your brain from rotating in your skull.

Their site is a mess, these were the best two videos that they had explaining the testing and technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmumVlxVPgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xa8YvozKwU

The name is a bit misleading, since a helmet would do nothing to prevent you from sustaining a rotational concussion (when your head rapidly rotates and shears and damages brain tissue), which is different from an impact concussion. Impact concussions are caused when you take a hard hit to your head and your brain floating in fluid hits the opposite side of your skull, so if you are hit in the front of the head, then you'll be concussed in the back of your brain. It seems like their technology is designed to dampen the force and slow down the impact, so that your brain will hopefully not move as much or as forcefully when you are hit to the head. Research on concussions is changing rapidly and we're in this sucky period where people are trying all sorts of new technologies to reduce concussions. Some of them are complete BS and this one at least seems somewhat plausible.

Edit: Article on rotational forces on impact concussions in football (again not rotational concussions). Everything is really murky now, but honestly is a case where neurologists are still trying to figure out the best ways to reduce concussions and at least they are moving away from antiquated tests and standards.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/06/20/helmets-safety-concussion-prevention-nocsae/11139183/

Aniki fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 27, 2014