Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

There's a thread for the panels in comicbooks that make you laugh, and there's a thread for panels that make you go "poo poo, that's totally badass!"
But there isn't a thread for those moments that give you goosebumps, the rare moments that catch you off-guard and makes you swear you got something in your eyes, or the panels that somehow inspire you to be a better man.
And I think it's time to remedy that.

My first contribution is from Beta-Ray-Bill, issue unknown

REHOST IMAGE

Whenever I look at these panels, it reminds me of Carl Sagans "A pale blue dot". There won't be a knight in shining armor to save the day, there won't be divine intervention to give us a happy ending. There's just us. And it's up to us to make this world a better place.

And of course, there's the panel this thread was named after.
REHOST IMAGE

All-star Superman, issue 10. Everyday, there are young people out there who give in to despair, who convince themselves that there's only one way to finally end the pain and torment they are feeling, and that is to end their lives. And maybe the only thing they need is for someone, anyone, to hold them and tell them they're stronger than they think they are. To have faith in them. And that's what Superman is, when it comes down to it, isn't it? He's someone who'll hold our hand, and convince us we're stronger than we think we are. Strong enough to do the right thing. And this page encapsulates that perfectly.

Those are my two contributions. Ya'll are welcome to post your own panels and pages that moved and touched you, that made you sad, that made you think, that inspired you, that made you pump your fist and yell "hell yeah!". If you can, please tell us where the panels and pages are from, and what issues, if you can't post them anyways!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader had a couple of good ones as well. Written by Neil Gaiman. It's kinda tricky to explain the set-up, but basically, it's batman's funeral, and friends and foes from various continuities and realities have gathered to pay their respects. We see how Batman dies in different itirations and realities, and how the people around him react. And this is what clayface had to say.

The two issues are more or less a giant tribute to Batman, but I think those three panels stood out the most to me.

Speaking of giant tributes to Batman, the animated Brave and the bold series would certainly qualify. It's filled with homages and references to both comic books and animated series, and last episode they had this ode to the dark knight, which I just loved. Heck, the entire series is a tribute to how awesome batman is, and I think we can all get behind that, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueDUIq7SLoY

The man singing is Joe Dimaggio, the same man who did the voice for Bender from Futurama.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 6, 2011

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Great contributions, keep it up lads! The theme of todays contribution from me is loss. At the risk of saturating this thread with All-Star Superman 6 (if you haven't read it, what are you waiting for?!) here's another one that always chokes me up.

The Set-up: This takes place before Superman left Smallville. Jonathan "Pa" Kent has hired three guys to help with the harvest (because wants it done the oldfashioned way). Turns out though, that these three guys are Supermen from the future, descendents of Clark Kent, hunting for a chronovore, a being which feeds on time.

Another one was related to the death of Bruce Wayne, probably the most touching reaction to his death. From Batman and the outsiders special 2009:

The way he apologises to Martha and Thomas to how Bruce chooses to say goodbye to his oldest friend is just heartwrenching.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gaimans idea of supermans hell is pure geniues, I love it.

When Ted Kord got shot in the head, the title of blue beetle fell on a kid named Jamie. The first 30 issues or so are fantastic, and I urge you guys to check it out if you haven't,
These two panels are from issue 17. A supervillian with control of the weather is causing hurricanes and floods. Blue Beetle saves a couple hundred civilians and tells them to head for a nearby hotel for shelter. While he fights the bad guy, he launches a tidel wave against the hotel. Turns out the hotel refused to let the civilians in. Jamie tries to save them, but some odd 30 of them drown. He chews out the hotelmanagment, arranges shelter for the surviving people then kicks the bad guys rear end. Once home, this scene transpires.

It's just the way he breaks down while saying he should have done better that gets me. I'm not doing this scene justice, and I really urge you guys to read the whole thing.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 22, 2011

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The following pages are from Superman Shazam - First thunder, a miniseries in 4 issues. Billy Batson, an orphaned 8-year old, has been given granted the power to turn into the Superhero Captain Marvel, powers granted to him by an old powerful wizard. A Lex Luthor wannabe called Sivana figures out that the new hero in town is probably a kid, so he sends a black ops squad to kill him. They fail, but Batsons best friend, another 8-year old, gets shot, and later dies in a hospital. Billy loses his poo poo and trashes Sivanas office and almost kills the old man. Superman hears about how Marvel went berserk and goes off to confront him.

[

I love this scene. I love how Superman actually stops to listen to Marvel. I love how he doesn't even think twice about walking up to one of the most powerful Magical beings in the universe to chew him out for giving an 8-year old boy the burden that few people should ever have to carry.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 24, 2011

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah, magic is one of the two big weaknesses superman has (the other being against kryptonite of course). In fact, this was highlighted in the second issue of the miniseries where him and Captain marvel face of against a magical beast. The beast fires a beam that encased Superman in crystal but it didn't affect Marvel due to his magic resistance.

So yeah, Shazam was in theory capable of kicking Supermans S up and down the multiverse. But that's the thing about Superman. He doesn't care who you are or what you can do, it doesn't matter if you're the most powerful being in the universe, he's still going to step between you and the innocent.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 24, 2011

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vakal posted:

Was combing through some some old No Man's Land comics and one of them had this short story done in the BTAS style.

No Man's Land - Secret Files

That's actually a "remake" of another issue of NML, exact same story, except the old dude with the violin was a kid.

Anyways, some time ago Garth Ennis wrote Hitman-JLA. I didn't really care for it much, since the story had an undercurrent of "superclowns in tights". However, it did give us this fantastic line.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Stop arguing stupid comic book physics or I'm turning this thread around right now, I swear to god!

Magic Love Hose posted:

Love that sequence. (Obviously.)

It's actually thanks to your sig I bothered reading that issue.

Here's a scene from Action Comics 762. It was released around christmas time, and just like christmas, some will like it and others will find it sappy and trying to hard.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 25, 2011

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

While reading Action comics 775, this little gem caught my eye.

"It's worked for better men than me". How fantastic, how amazing. That this man who can juggle planets and ignite suns can still be so humble.

I posted this in the new DCU thread

I think it's sad that this is probably the best send-off of postcrisis Superman we'll ever gonna get.

It's been fun, Kal-el. I'll miss you :(

McCloud fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 1, 2011

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

You might wanna check your image links there.

Oops! Thanks for the heads up

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Magic Love Hose posted:

I think Secret Origin had some good ideas, but never really gelled together into a cohesive storyline. It also suffers a bit from Geoff John's tendency to be Way Too Obvious Man. There are surely more elegant ways of setting up the dichotomy of Superman as a human or an alien than just having someone ask him flat out.

My favorite origin of Superman is Birthright. Here's why. Spoilers, obviously.

For context, at the start of Birthright, Mark Waid injects a head-slappingly obvious notion, that Jor-El and Lara had no idea whatsoever if Kal-El would survive his journey. They were living in hope and they put all those hopes into the rocketship.

Fast forward to the present day, and Lex Luthor's first real plot against Superman is collapsing like a burning kite and Luthor, in a last-ditch attempt to save his hide, is using the same time/space wormhole he's exploited earlier to get his hands on Kryptonian images and information, to actually requesting help from what he considers the only beings in the universe he can hold a conversation with.

This is the result. (Click for pictures.)

There are a lot of inspirational Superman quotes and stories. "There's always a way" from All-Star Superman is a great one.

But for me, "Mother, father... I made it" is king of the hill.

God, I love Superman.

YES! I was thinking of posting this exact scene as well! It annoyed me that they tried to redo the whole secret origins thing when they had the perfect origin in birthright already, and truly those pages are beautiful. I also felt Waid made lex an actually sympathetic villain. And reading those opening pages still tug on my heart string. The impending doom of their amazing civilization, the death of every idea, advancement and philosophy..

"They yearned for a heaven...so they created it beneath their very feet". I feel Waid was saying that could be us, if we only stopped being so divided by our petty bickering, if we only set our aim higher. But the real kick in the gut in that scene is when Lara asks how far earth is, and Jor-El just whispers "far".

I wish I could show these pages to every single one who's ever said superman is boring. Then I want to kick them in the groin.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gavok posted:

The story is that coming off Tim's biggest "gently caress you, Batman" sentiment ever, the two made up, went off and trained together with Dick for a year. Now things seem smoothed over, though slightly tense. At the end of the first story back in Gotham, Bruce tells Tim that he'd rather have him living in the mansion, but he can't legally make him his ward. He'd have to adopt him and he's not sure how Tim would feel about that.

Surprise hug.

Is it this one?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Electric Slug posted:

I know this was way back on the first page, but I really wanted to thank you for putting this up. I know this is going to sound sound corny as all hell, but I had read this way back when this thread first started about a year ago, and I was reading the thread again when I saw that again, and I actually teared up a little bit.

I know that it takes alot of strength to speak at someones funeral because my Grandpa actually died of a heart attack a few months ago, and I requested to be able to go up and say something at his service. I actually spoke because when I read this in the past it reminded me of something -that when the time came I had to tell everyone what he meant to me: about how much he inspired me to try and be the best man I could be in life; and how to give everything I could to help others to make the world a better place. I know its an awful thing to say that a grown man was inspired by a Superman comic book, but when I went up there and told everyone about who he was I felt nothing but pride and strength for him. And even though it was really hard to do, I knew that I had to honour his memory by speaking because thats what he would have wanted. He expected us to be strong that day.

Again, this was a post way back in the past, and when I saw this just now my heart really sank. I figured that you should know that you really helped me out and that you gave me alot of strength that day. Thank you.

I am so sorry for your loss, and I know how hard it can be to be strong when you are falling to pieces inside. But you made your grandpa proud that day.
I have no shame in saying Superman has inspired me. Growing up, I didn't exactly have any strong role-models around me. But I had him. And when I read All-star Superman, I got a bit teary eyed. Superman has inspired me to be a better person, and I made this thread hoping that the stuff people would post would inspire others. And it makes me very happy to know that it helped at least one person. It means a lot to me. Thank you.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The great thing about Kingdome Come is that it totally validates Bruce and Clarks stance regarding killing. Once Gog showed that you could get away with murder, every two-bit hero wannabe started murdering gangsters left and right, and sure, it got rid of Ra's Al Ghul and the Arkham crazies, but it replaced them with heroes with absolutly no regard for collateral damage who thought the ends justified the means, and who had no qualms about having shoot-outs in the middle of town.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Superman: Peace on earth is about Superman trying to eradicate famine and world hunger. Long story short, it argues that unless Superman becomes willing to overthrow corrupt leaders and dictators, then solving world hunger isn't an achievable goal, even for . I can link a few pages when i get home if there's interest.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Please do, because it's really a great treatise on the whole "well why don't superheroes just fix the world with brute force?" problem. Though really, all four books are different perspectives on that theme.

And if the answers still seem inadequate, replace "superheroes" with "the US government" or "NATO" or whatever authority and reconsider the scenario.

Alright, you twisted my arm.

The story starts out with Superman rescuing a homeless person from almost dying of starvation. Vowing to do something about this, he talks to congress and agrees that instead of letting all that surplus grain and food go to waste, they gather it up and he'll take it to impoverished nations himself. Done and done, they load up the food in giant containers, and he sets of like Santa Clause, only with bagels instead of toys or whatever.

The first couple stops go well. People are happy to see him, and he leaves the food and keeps going. But soon, trouble starts.

In the end, Superman has two choices if he wants a better world. He can either lead by example, and hope that one day humanity chooses to follow out of our own free will, or he can force us by becoming a benevolent (and probably violent) dictator.

It's the "Catch them if they fall" vs the "put the whole world in a bottle" approach.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

Hey I sure like those comics where superman punches a bad guy in the face, amiright?

Holy Hannah, I leave for half a day and this thread implodes!

This thread is the inspiring panels thread. It's for posting cool panels that you think inspire and / or are touching. This discussion, although very interesting, is also a derail, so please either take it to the off topic thread, or make your own thread. Either way, cut it out and post cool stuff!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

All this reminded me of the time I learned that Superman helped fight the KKK.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/23157/how-superman-defeated-ku-klux-klan

The relevant quotes:

quote:

In the post-World War II era, the Klan experienced a huge resurgence. Its membership was skyrocketing, and its political influence was increasing, so Kennedy went undercover to infiltrate the group. By regularly attending meetings, he became privy to the organization's secrets. But when he took the information to local authorities, they had little interest in using it. The Klan had become so powerful and intimidating that police were hesitant to build a case against them.

Struggling to make use of his findings, Kennedy approached the writers of the Superman radio serial. It was perfect timing. With the war over and the Nazis no longer a threat, the producers were looking for a new villain for Superman to fight. The KKK was a great fit for the role.

As the storyline progressed, the shows exposed many of the KKK's most guarded secrets. By revealing everything from code words to rituals, the program completely stripped the Klan of its mystique. Within two weeks of the broadcast, KKK recruitment was down to zero. And by 1948, people were showing up to Klan rallies just to mock them.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Enough about the blood and rape already.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I thought this moment was a bit sweet from this weeks All New X-men, since Alex and the present Scott haven't exactly been close. Was a chance to feel like he had a normal relationship with his brother for once.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

From Superman Batman 2 that came out this week: There's a bad guy that can cross dimensions, and brought Batman and Superman to Earth. Superman meets his Earth 2 counterpart at his parents farm and starts freaking out, when this happens.

God bless you Ma

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bown posted:

The problem with that panel is just that it's a lovely, lame panel that doesn't belong anywhere near this thread. Does anyone here really manage to find enough emotion from that one corny panel to call it touching and/or inspiring?

Well, there's me. If you don't like the panel someone else posted, you are more than welcome to post your own, encouraged to do so even! What we don't like is you making GBS threads over someone elses contribution by calling it lame or lovely. We don't want people to hesitate to post what they think is a heartwarming panel.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Batman/Superman #15 followed up on that. Spoilers obviously.

It's so heartbreaking because all he wants is for Bruce to be happy.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Stop derailing my thread with this poo poo. Either take it to D&D or shut up.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jiro posted:

Actually he doesn't want to do it at all and has to be begged to take it on. Also Jim Gordon is 46 years old? Comic book years that puts him at what 35?

He does it because the alternative is some rookie cop with kids taking it and getting his dumb rear end killed.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Toshimo posted:

I was 50/50 on posting this to the badass thread, but...

Hah, it's funny because I actually had that picture in the first post, but the links apparently expired, so you totally picked the right thread for it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It should come as no surprise that the son of Bruce Wayne and Talia Al Ghul has issues, and a somewhat...complicated childhood.

When Damian was young(er), during something called the year of blood, Ra's and Talia had Damian collect various artifacts around the world, usually while loving up whatever guardians/tribes that were guarding said artifact. Robin: Son of Batman #6 shows the final part of his quest.

I absolutly love Son of Batman, and these pages in particular show that the little guy really is his fathers son.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Infinitum posted:

EDIT: Don't know the issue sorry.

Oh man I have a cat and I haven't seen her in months since I moved overseas and this hit way to close to home. Stupid mooncat.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

violent sex idiot posted:

namor destroyed their earth with a really big comic book science bomb

Wasn't that fixed by the end of that whole crossover?

What series is this?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Well that's just horrible, can we get a real writer like Frank Cho to do something actually awesome with Wonder Woman already?

I will cut you.

WickedHate posted:

That girl is gonna come back in a decade as a dead body for Wonder Woman to get angry about.

To hell with all your cynicism, I love those panels. You go, Peony!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

purple death ray posted:

The gently caress is wrong with yall

This.

Just to be clear, this is the "touching and inspiring panels" thread. You wanna keep up this conversation take it to the badass panels thread or something where they appreciate mindless violence and gore, not here.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Are there any panels or stories where Batman gets taken down a peg / gets his rear end kicked / gets called out on his poo poo / generally made to look like an idiot? Because I'd love to see those. The only one I can think of is when Bane broke his back, but I'm not a huge Batman reader.

That covers pretty much all appearances by Batman during the 90's to be honest, culminating in the terrible Bruce Wayne: Fugitive story. He was xenophobic, abusive, distrusting and all around rear end. I think it started to get obnoxious after Morrisons JLA Bats. He portrayed Batman as that hypercompetent coworker who's supergood at his job and expects you to be so too, and doesn't have the patience to humor you if you gently caress up or say stupid poo poo. Lesser writers kind of interpreted that as him being an rear end in a top hat and just ran it into the ground, so you had comics where he's deriding Martian Manhunters detective skills (for no loving reason at all) and where he goes on semi-racist tirades against metas, and that's not even covering the dumb poo poo he does to the Bat team.

Having said that, if ya'll are gonna be posting panels not relating to the thread title , please do so in the appropriate threads i.e Not in here. If nothing else, there's the "request a panel " thread that exists for this purpose Tia!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gavok posted:

My favorite, which I mentioned a page or two back, is I think OMAC Project #2 during the time when Batman was at his most insufferable. Don't have the panels on me at the moment, but the background is that Blue Beetle was investigating some robbery of some kryptonite his company had and how it was leading to some kind of bigger conspiracy. Batman was too busy obsessing over the new Red Hood and told him to gently caress off. The only people who didn't treat Ted like a joke were Wonder Woman and Booster Gold. Booster even seemed to realize that Beetle was fated to die because he tried to "take the bullet" (which he apparently tried to do for Superman when he initially threw hands with Doomsday back in the day) and ended up hospitalized. Still, Beetle ended up getting shot in the head, jumpstarting the Infinite Crisis event.

Next thing you know, Booster was picked up at the hospital by Wonder Woman so the two of them and Superman could hear news of Ted's whereabouts from Batman. Batman explained that the Brother Eye satellite was stolen from him, pulled out Beetle's broken goggles and says that Beetle was investigating said conspiracy.

Booster lost his poo poo and, paraphrasing, yelled, "You son of a bitch! Ted went to you from the beginning! He went to you and you knew what he was up against and you did nothing! YOU GOT HIM KILLED!" while trying to outright vaporize Batman. The only thing stopping it was Superman dashing in the way. Superman said blame would be placed later, but Booster scoffed because of course Batman would never be punished.

Hey now, to be fair, Batman had a lot of reasons to be a distrusting prick.

After the aforementioned Bruce Wayne: Fugitive, Batman did in fact soften up a bit. He was nicer to his family, he was less of an obnoxious rear end in a top hat to his colleagues, he dropped the xenophobia, he didn't threaten heroes who came to Gotham, and was generally the nicest he'd been in a long while.

Then Identity Crisis happened.

I don't know what the gently caress was going on at DC at this point in time, but I'm guessing there was some sort of mandate that Batman should revert back to being a prick. It was revealed that a group of people in the JLA were systematically brainwashing villians into being "nice". The pied piper, the top, even Catwoman were magically induced to stop being villains. Batman found out and they wiped his mind, and it was implied (but never confirmed) that Superman had an idea of what was going on. When Batman started unraveling this he went full on apeshit, and created Brother Eye as a means to keep tabs on all heroes. It was also implied to have been the impetus for his infamous plans to take down the JLA and his fetish for contingency plans.

Of course, Brother Eye was later hijacked by a alternate universe Lex Luthor, who passed it on to Max and Checkmate so they could distract the capes while he put his nefarious scheme into action. Joke was on him in the end though (heh).

So in a nutshell, the league proved Batman right by being pricks in the first place, and the only reason Brother Eye was hijacked was because the smartest man in that quadrant of the universe stole it. He might have helped Kord, except that Jason Todd was just revealed to be back from the dead and understandably he was a bit busy with the ramifications of his biggest failure being back from the dead to haunt him, and afaik he didn't know Brother Eye was lost when Ted came to him for help. He only found out after Ted died and started digging himself.

This was the leadup to a mindcontrolled Superman (proving Batman right again mind you) almost murders Batman, and Diana killing Maxwell Lord to release him. This fractures the Big Three, all culminating with Infinite Crisis, where Alt Lex and Superboy gently caress everything up. The big three mend wounds and Batman fucks of on a journey to be less of an rear end.

If you want scenes where Batman is taken down a peg there's one where Hal Jordan punches Batman after he's resurrected from the dead (and which Batman later punches him back for).

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

:goonsay:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Right at this moment, as I type this, my cat Cheeto is a few feet away from me, nearing death due to a terrible, incurable disease. He has anywhere from a few days to a few hours left. I feel heartbroken, angry, powerless in the face of this disease, while grateful for the time I've had with him, happy to have known him. This comic strikes me to the core of these almost opposing emotions, breaking my heart anew while also helping it to mend.

Thank you for posting this.

For what its worth, you gave your friend a good life, with lots of love, affection and tasty treats, and I'm sure if he could speak he'd tell you how happy he was to have you as a friend. I can't begin to imagine what it will be like for you when he passes, but know that you've been good to him, and you gave him a happy life, and that's the greatest gift we can give to our furry companions.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

He's the platonic ideal of white. The very concept of white

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm sorry, I know that page is hearbreaking and very touching, but it's completely undercut by those stupid panels of Bucky smiling like an idiot

Infinitum posted:

But for realsies

This is one of those "sounds good until you spend more than 2 seconds to think about it" things.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

DC has a really bad habit of assigning writers that don't get that about him *coughmoviescough* and he becomes infinitely less watchable.

The movies get him just fine, friend. He may not be the silver age father figure comic book fans yearn for, but that's part of the appeal.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

*sighing, unsheathes my katana* OK, I'll bite: What about him do you think the movies capture the essence of, and how do you justify that after the majority seem to feel the portrayal lacks key signifiers of the character?

Assuming we're talking about Snyder-man here,
The essence of Superman is actually a very simple one. Powerful God-like being uses his powers to protect the weak, despite the difficulties and sacrifices he has to make to do so. The man flies, is strong, he has a cape and an S, and he saves the world. That's the core of Superman. A man with great powers with humble upbringing who does good. This core is intact in the movies.

Why "fans" are upset about the movie usually comes down to this version of Superman not matching up with the idea they have of him as a father figure that will always "find a way" and reassure them with a warm friendly smile. A superman that causes collateral damage and has to resort to lethal violence is anathema in their mind (doubly hilarious because the "real" superman in the comic books has done the same).

But the long and short of it is that fans are whiny babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Read JL #25 ya mooks. Best superman moment since all star