Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

There are no k-01's for sale that cheap locally, and ebay/amazon aren't that cheap either. I do admit the kit lens would be nice, I have the original SMC-M 40mm and it's a very nice lens.

That's good to hear.

If you want a good secondary lens with it, the Oly 45mm f/1.8 and Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Despair, if you haven't handled an OM-D with the battery grip, you may want to test one if you can first before you buy one. They're in the $250 range, and batteries from what I've found are still $45-50 apiece. I just have my one battery, and took it out yesterday in 20-30 degree weather for about 4 hours, taking about 150 shots and it never had any problems.

If you like how the old OM film bodies held in your hand, this is very similar.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's awesome dude, enjoy it :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

I have the GF5 and while I like it a lot, the dorky 14-42 is to big for carrying around in a pocket.

The 20mm 1.7 is about £200 on ebay
The 14mm 2.5 is about £100 - but potentially, I could buy a GF3 twin lens kit from someone, keep the 14mm and resell the remaining bits.

Is the 14mm worth it...or would I always be lusting after the 20mm?

No alternatives?

I've been thrilled with my 20mm f/1.7. The only mild annoyance is the focus can be a little slow, although that might be more that my 45mm f/1.8 is fast as hell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

That's the 20mm that is $348 on Amazon.com or £317 ($491) on Amazon.co.uk?

Man, gently caress this international pricing bullshit.

The same. And yeah, that's an incredible ripoff. :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

That's about £100 ($155)

I am a big fan of Sigma, but it doesn't seem much smaller than the 14-42mm and only marginally faster.

Size is the principle requirement here - I want to carry it with a suit without a bulge.

If you want absolute smallest size, there's always the body cap lens. Runs $50 here in the states.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

krooj posted:

Also, the articulating LCD on the OM-D or GH3 allows for TLR-like street shooting, which is great for shooting from the hip.\

I really love this feature, and only wish it would swivel around to face the front of the camera as well (like the E-5), but that probably would have added to the size more than it was worth.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DanTheFryingPan posted:

I've been pondering switching to a smaller kit for traveling, and specifically the OM-D. The lens selection seems good, especially with the recent Panasonic workhorses. I cover events, and usually use a mid-range zoom and a fast prime, with on-camera flash if needed. New kit would probably include FL-600R, Panasonic 12-35, Olympus 45mm, and some 35mm equiv. prime.

Any experiences with the OM-D at events?

I've been at a few with my 25mm and that's been about perfect. Keep in mind the OM-D and the other m4/3 cameras still have Olympus' 2x crop factor, so the 45mm, while it's a great lens, is going to have quite a bit of reach. The tilting screen is a big help too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sharizard posted:

If that's the case, do you think that this lens is a good upgrade or replacement for the old Oly 17/2.8?

I've been on the fence about selling my 2.8 and grabbing the new 1.8, but I haven't found any decent reviews about the newer lens to help guide my purchase.

EDIT + Bonus Question:

Anyone own the Olympus FL-600R? I'm looking for a good baby's-first-hotshoe-flash, and I have an OM-D. I'm just having a difficult time finding a unit that explicitly says its compatible with my cam, and I figured I'd settle for the FL-600R. It's a lot more than I'd like to spend for a first flash, though. I just need to know if it's worth grabbing at full price.

I believe the FL-36R and 50R will work in it as well. Off to find out :science:

E: It does! :toot: Have a lovely cell phone picture of an OM-D with body cap lens, FL-50R and Flyers gnome!

DJExile fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 28, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

And am I the only one who really dislikes a neck strap on a P&S-sized body?

Not at all.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

m4/3 dudes, how do you guys like the 75mm f/1.8?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

alkanphel posted:

I rented it to use for fun during Xmas on a walkaround shoot, it was ridiculously good. Sharp as hell and with lots of creamy bokeh. You definitely won't regret buying it, if you like the equivalent 150mm fov and can afford it.

Sweet, going on a trip in a couple weeks and might rent it myself.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't know why I never tried hooking my old 4/3 35mm macro to the OMD with the adapter. That could be a lot of fun.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

poo poo's so paper.

Body cap lens bros :cool::respek::cool:

E: What is that viewfinder?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What are you taking pictures of?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Full frame is pretty awesome but you're paying out the nose for just about everything. If you have a good m4/3 body like the OM-D or a recent PEN or Panasonic body, you'll have access to a huge market of very good lenses.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Anyone can recommend a good and cheap wide angle equivalent prime for the m43 system?

If you want crazy cheap, there's the 15mm f/8 body cap lens for $45. The Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 is well-reviewed for about $320 NIB, as is Oly's 17mm f/2.8 for $300 NIB.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EvilRic posted:

The Olympus 45mm 1.8 is great but also not massively expensive.

Absolutely this. Fantastic lens.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

I am detecting a theme here....

Maybe if I get the 45mm to go with my 14mm, then I won't need to buy a 19/20mm

(who am I kidding)

If you think the 14mm is too wide, you could probably sell it easily and get the Lumix 20mm f/1.7. It's a fantastic walk-around.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

Well, it's more that I don't particularly like 14mm as a walkaround lens: the distortion and excessive foreground aren't to my taste. however, 5-10% of my general photos need the extra width of 14mm and 20mm would mean my missing out on certain shots. As you know - you can always crop in, but not out.

Oh, that's fair then.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone have the battery grip for the OM-D? How do you like it?

A few are finally hitting the used market and now I'm much more curious because gently caress paying $300 for one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oly's battery grip parts do also maintain the weather sealing, if that's important to you.

If only more than 2 of their loving lenses did :argh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus officially releases the OM-D EM-1 body and the 12-40mm f/2.8.

That lens looks loving awesome :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There are a few old Olympus PEN bodies that would be in that budget as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I kinda want that waterproof one since I'm pretty sure it's the only waterproof digicam that shoots RAW... I don't $800 want it though :negative:

It has consistently stunned me that the Olympus Tough TG1 and TG2 don't shoot RAW.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have nothing to add to your comments but for the record, your username owns.

m4/3 peoples, 60mm f/2.8 macro or go the whole hog and get the 75mm f/1.8?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

alkanphel posted:

This is like deciding between the Canon 135/2 and the 100/2.8 macro. You can do portraiture with either one, but with the 60/2.8 you can also do macro - which is why I got it over the 75/1.8.

How fast are both focuses? I have the 45mm f/1.8 and it's stupid fast.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

alkanphel posted:

The 75/1.8 is pretty fast, but you need to set the focus limiter on the 60/2.8 if you want it to be decent for non-macro usage.

Argh this is tough. I always like reach but macro is awesome, especially when I'm travelling.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

alkanphel posted:

If you want flexibility for travelling, just go with the 12-35/2.8 & 35-100/2.8 zoom pair, then you get both close-up and reach. And if you don't intend to use them again, maybe consider just renting them for your trip.

I've got the 20mm and the body cap lens right now along with the 45mm. I've been looking at the 35-100 and some of the other long-reach zooms. This system spoils you for choices, jesus.

I really really want that 12-40mm that's coming out soon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Awwwwwwwwwwww :kiddo:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OM-D EM1 on Amazon went from $1399 to $1799 :stare:

E: Oh now 1499. Fun with listings.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Are there any lines on OM-D batteries that aren't $50+? Any 3rd party ones that don't suck?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daspope posted:

Becase olympus hates you and the rest of their customers. Olympus makes you pay for a lens hood separately.

This drives me nuts because their regular 4/3 lenses always came with hoods, many of which were pretty huge.

So far I have loved the 60mm f/2.8 macro. Focuses quicker than I thought it would and the limiter helps. Still mad tempted by that 75mm f/1.8 though.

Wengy, just get the silver 45mm. It's a fantastic lens. Stupid fast focus too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wengy posted:

Just ordered the black 45 f1.8 from Amazon UK because gently caress my local shops who just add a hundred bucks to the price of the black one :getin:

Well done. You're going to love it.

Edit: I believe there's a screw-in metal hood available on amazon for relatively cheap as well, made by EZPhoto

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

Hmm, so I have the opportunity to buy a "second hand but new condition" OM-D E-M5 body for $550 inc postage. I have an X-E1 with the 18-55 right now which I love, but the plethora of lenses available for the Olympus is making me think about it... Seems like a good price.

That's an exceptional deal. Quick amazon check shows them going used for $630-650.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

If you ever notice shutter shock just turn on the Anti-shock feature. It adds a 1/8 of a second (or up to 30 seconds, you can adjust it) delay to help prevent it.

With a rubber band it doubles as a free intervalometer :buddy:

My lord, that is outstanding, can you do anything like that on the EM-5?

MOD EDIT: Your capitalization and choice of words offended my sensibilities so I edited it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 14, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

keyframe posted:

This was posted on the 3DCG thread but relevant here too. Photoshop and Lightroom are $9.99 a month for a year on adobe.com right now. Deal is only good till tomorrow.

Righteous :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wengy posted:

Yeah, I passed on it eventually, the auction still went for like 860 Swiss Francs (which is only 200 less than I'd pay for a new one). I'm gonna use the 12-40 and the 45 some more before I invest that much cash :)

How are you liking that 12-40 so far?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wengy posted:

And here's a couple of samples: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11236288@N04/sets/72157638424748874/

I included the garage door to showcase what DxO's prime noise reduction can do with ISO 3200 on M4/3rds.

Holy poo poo where are/were you because that's gorgeous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mest0r posted:

So there was this 40mm f0.85 lens announced yesterday that going to come in a variety of different mounts:

http://kipon.com/en/articledetail.asp?id=60

It's going to be $2080 so don't be too excited.

Holy poo poo :stare: