Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Atlantis does genuinely improve over time, starting with the second season, eventually matching and maybe surpassing SG:1. But then they also bring in a new noble savage who is essentially a more blindly aggressive, monosylabic, Teal'c with none of the character depth.
They do the same thing in SG: Universe, except by that point the noble savage has devolved into what is essentially the master's loyal but barely restrained attack dog.

It really is repugnant when you stop and look at it.

I think you could make an argument that Greer consciously chooses to be that way because being a blindly loyal soldier allows him to avoid having to deal with this own inner demons.

Teal'C had a bit of that going on, as well.

There's no excuse for Ronon, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Really, by the end of SG-1, I think all of the characters, and particularly O'Neill, had actually lived a shitload longer than a regular human due to temporal fuckery, alternate dimensions and sarcophagus use.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just randomly caught the Atlantis episode with the rebel Asgards that kidnap McKay and Daniel. What a pointless arc, they aren't even mentioned ever again, nor is the Wraith-hyperdrive exploding device (I think, can't recall).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Flatscan posted:

Except half of every episode taking place on Earth and the constant attempts to make the Lucian Alliance seem like a credible threat.

By season 2 that was no longer an issue, really.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I can't decide whether the SGA episode where McKay and Keller go to Dave Nelson's global warming conference is campy-bad or just bad.

I didn't watch Bill Nye as a kid (though I knew who he was), nor did I know who Neil DeGrasse Tyson was, so the nostalgia factor wasn't even there for me.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of civilizations we never hear from again, what ever happens to the Hoffans?

I vaguely recall their drug getting used again in some later episodes, but do we ever find out what happens to the Hoffans themselves?

Also, Sheppard is so loving smug in that episode, "stop experimenting with technologies you don't know anything about, you're endangering the whole galaxy!". Oh, the irony. At least the Hoffans actually put it to a vote (eventually).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

They're the intergalactic mafia and they're a big threat after SG-1 killed all the Goa'uld because

Something something space corn.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember Jonas having a sort-of romantic vibe with Carter during his first few episodes and then that getting dropped.

Am I totally misremembering that?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Feel free to request any other stuff from SG1 or ATL, I like to gif.

In Episode 4.20 (:420:) there's a badass scene where an alterneate reality Carter is doing guerrilla style drive-bys on Wraith ships. I remember one specific scene where she warps in, blows up an enemy ship, does a loop and destroys another.

Any chance of getting a gif of that?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Again, going from memory here, wasn't that partially because RDA wanted it to be more of an ensemble show and not have a main character? i.e. he didn't want Shanks hogging the spotlight either?

Shanks was probably pissed off because from Season 8 onward, RDA literally started taking up most of the screen.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Yes, that was the joke.

Still owned the poo poo out of every scene he was in.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have nothing to back this up, but I picture her making a whole bunch of Hallmark/Lifetime movies, for some reason.

"Jane was just a regular mom, until her daughter was enslaved by a Goa'uld System Lord. With no help from the Earth government, she will embark on an intergalactic journey to get her home."

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I just watched the Repli-Carter episode. I can't remember if that arc was terrible or interesting.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Oh my God, I had completely forgotten about Teal'c's son and his terrible, terrible storyline.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Message in a Bottle is a really good episode, but really these loving aliens could've chosen a slightly less aggressive way of getting their message of survival across, as opposed to, you know, impaling a dude against a wall.

However, "undomesticated equines could not remove me" might literally be the most touching moment in the series.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Oh my God, "Foothold" is such a lazy episode. Like, at one point one of the aliens has Carter on the floor ready to be killed and then he literally walks away. They don't even come up with a decent reason for it, he just gets called over the PA system and he turns away and leaves her there.

Even the showrunners must've felt embarrassed by this episode because the ending is all "oh no, the aliens escaped with all our knowledge they could come back and invade us again" and they are never mentioned again.

I did like how at the end the alien leader who gets trapped before he can gate out turns around and presses a big red button on his chest that starts flashing a big red light and making a beeping noise faster and faster, and everyone literally stares at him for 60 seconds before they realize that hey, that might be a bomb.

Fake edit: just realized that the aliens in this episode were the SG equivalent of Scooby-Doo villains.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

counterpoint: that episode had Maybourne being cool, and was the episode to start Maybourne actually being a likable person, as opposed to the cartoon villain he was prior.

Did he actually become cool after that?

I barely remember his story arch and also I hate his smug face. Is he the one that ends up becoming king of some medieval village?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Kinda sucks that in the last episode of SG-1 we barely get two minutes to say goodbye to the Asgard, pretty much the oldest friends Earth has, before the planet is unceremoniously blown up to kill a measly two Ori ships.

I get that they were strained for time (on the episode runtime, I mean), but still.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Half a season worrying about Teyla's special hybrid child and then he's born and it's like "welp, job well done everyone, now let's do absolutely no followup on the kid and see why Michael wanted him so badly".

Not that I'm complaining, I'm sure whatever they could've come up with would've been terrible, but still.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Heightmeyer that random redshirt that started appearing on a lot of scenes in Season 4/5? She was always in the Gate Ops room and randomly make comments on high-level conversations and every time I'd think "who the gently caress is this?".

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Didn't something like 30% of the world's population die out off screen in a two parter never to be mentioned again because of the Ori virus? Also, wasn't it the same one that killed the Ancients but we cured it and distributed it in a couple of days?

IIRC the Ori plague never made it to Earth, or at the very least the SGC came up with a cure before it got out of control.

There is an episode where a bunch of alternate SG1s start appearing and an alternate Fraiser says that in her reality the Ori Plague is pretty much wiping out humanity, so maybe you're thinking of that?

Edit: just checked the Wiki. The plague did make it to Earth but apparently they stopped it after it killed "only" 3000 people.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 3, 2014

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I didn't like Kolya as a villain because in the end he was only super effective or super dumb depending on what the plot required, but really that is a problem with most of Atlantis Stargate Sci-Fi tv shows in general.

Todd at least was amusing (vs. Kolya's boring sociopath character) and was the source of more interesting problems.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

They were really going for budget Stephen Seagal there, I think...

Steven Seagal is the budget Steven Seagal.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Aleph Null posted:

How 'bout those replicators?

Something something reproductive parts on the inside.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
All this death talk reminds me that for all of Weir's blandness and her questionable replicator storyline, she went down like a badass. Spacing yourself and with your last breath tricking your companions into spacing themselves is as good of a redemption as they come.

Too bad they couldn't the real actress for that, though.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

I thought Independence Day was supposed to be a Stargate sequel?

Captain Steven Hiller. Two Ls.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
SGC sends a confirmation after opening the iris.

There's a bunch of episodes where the offworld team sends the IDC and for whatever reason the SGC won't send the confirmation (usually because the real team is already on the base, that happened a lot on SG-1) and there's a few seconds of the team on the other side yelling "WHAT'S GOING ON SGC WE'RE GETTING MURDERED OVER HERE, OPEN THE IRIS!".

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I think the technobabble explanation with the gate was that it wouldn't engage as long as there was something inside where the event horizon would form (so basically, inside the donut hole). Move it a millimeter away, and it's all good.

But really, the most dickish thing that the Ancients did was not bothering to put a back cover to the gate.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
IIRC Teal'c mentions offhand that one time a Jaffa walked into the wrong side of the gate and died a horrible death.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that's Midway, on season 4, where they get stuck on Midway station.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Syka posted:

The only thing wrong with Midway is that they blow up Midway station. I really liked the gate bridge idea.

They fix it again, don't they?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I honestly refuse to believe that Atlantis didn't have a ZPM-factory in one of those unexplored portions of the city.

Knowing the Ancients, it was probably a terribly impractical factory that required a human sacrifice for each ZPM produced and also most likely destroyed a random universe each time it was used.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

Wasn't this pretty much exactly a plot for an Atlantis episode? It's been so long since I watched it, but I remember something about a power generator (ZPM recharging or replacement?) that tore holes in universes or some other interdimensional fuckery and they had to shut it down.

Edit: I was pretty close! http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Trinity_%28episode%29

Yeah, that was a new power source that was supposed to blow ZPMs out of the water but something something exotic particles and McKay blows up an entire solar system.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

There's also the episode where they figure out a way to charge ZPMs and almost destroy an alternate Universe and cool-McKay shows up...

that episode was so :smith: for McKay.

What I liked about that episode is that, IIRC, they implied that ZPMs are basically bottle-universes that are slowly forced into total entropy as all energy is sucked out of them.

I like to think that each of those bottle-universes had their own civilizations so basically the Ancients were powering their flying city via mass genocides.

Edit: someone is probably going to correct me on this with some techno-babble but I don't care THE ANCIENTS WERE MULTIPLE-MASS-GENOCIDERS NEVER FORGET.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 6, 2014

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

Vala is a bad character in general and really brings down the show's quality I think. Farscape guy is inoffensively bland by comparison.

The only good thing about Vala is getting Daniel to be Hans Olo and showing us a rare look at a space culture that is not apparently involved in the System Lords time capsule culture program (that one episode with the race around the planets or whatever it was).

Isn't that a season 5 episode where it turns out Carter is a biker chick (for the sole reason that Amanda Tapping is a biker chick IRL) and then some alien they helped once invites them to participate in a space Nascar?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

DirtyRobot posted:

but Syfy/MGM didn't want something new and weren't willing to give it the time it needed--they just wanted some reliable income from the reliable formula. I'm pretty sure, though, that now they're kicking themselves since fantasy and sci fi are becoming popular on TV again, and they have to start from scratch on a bunch of poo poo.

Someone in this thread said that the SGU actually didn't have that much network pressure, and that while its ratings were declining, it still brought in enough money to justify its timeslot.

The show just got shafted due to MGM being a mess during the bankruptcy proceedings.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
You probably are because I seriously cannot decide whether I hated the Human Replicators or the Ori more.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress are you even talking about.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

Third shot was the perfect thing for stealth missions but they seemed to just forget about it even when they did those.

It'd be pretty interesting to see as a game mechanic I think.

I think it would be a bit creepy if SG-1 just went around coldly desintegrating any Jaffa that got in their way.

At least when you shoot them you can still pretend that they're just injured and will eventually recover or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

Didn't they swap out the naquadah for naquadria somewhere around the point where Jonas Quinn got written out of the show?

IIRC Jonas' home planet was responsible for refining Naquadah into Naquadriah.