Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...
We built this coop for our chicks. They hadn't been moved in at the time of the pic which is why everything is still super clean.

Btw, has anyone with chickens noticed that Rhode Island Reds are particularly noisy and mean? We've had 3 RIRs butchered because they were too drat noisy. Great layers but christ, the awful midday croaking drove me crazy especially since I work from home. They also started to peck at us when we cleaned the coop, bastards.

We have a Buff Orpington and Speckled Sussex left and are almost ready to introduce three more, a Golden Comet, Jersey Giant and Cuckoo Maran. I get all :3: everytime they squat for me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Pinkerton posted:

I've been interested in raising a few chickens for years and, now that my wife and I are finally moving into a house, I'm planning to get started this summer. I have a couple of questions:

1. I live in New England and, while our winters are not as bad as say Fargo, temperatures can get fairly cold. From the reading I've done online, it seems that the use of heat lamps is pretty controversial. Some say they're necessary to prevent the chickens from getting frostbite while others say that chickens are fine without them even in cold climates. What are your thoughts?

2. Is it possible to sex baby chicks? I really don't want a rooster as I would imagine that the crowing at 6AM would be a nuisance. Does this mean I need to purchase older birds in order to ensure that they are female?

1. I wouldn't say it is controversial, it's just a matter of preferences in some ways. If you are worried about it, buy a heat lamp and be comfortable knowing they won't freeze to death. Unfortunately, we don't live in a particularly cold climate so I can't provide any profound guidance there but wise coop design can certainly help.

For instance, Alterian's coop is quite open and probably very drafty. Conversely, ours can be locked up pretty tight, we've even cut thick cardboard inserts for the doors so the only opening was the ramp on the bottom. Since the roosts are up in the riser I bet the body heat of the chickens would be sufficient to protect them to very low temps.

2. I was told that the really good breeders can sex to 90-95% accuracy. If you want to be absolutely certain though, you can buy sex-link breeds which are much more easily sexed because the roosters look different than the hens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_Link

edit:

GenericOverusedName posted:

Its sort of a pipe dream for me at the moment, but I would like to raise hens for eggs at some point in the future. About how many would you need for a dozen eggs a week? How much space would they need? How do you deal with predators (foxes, hawks, semiferal dogs, etc. )?

3 good layers would ensure more than a dozen eggs a week for most of the year. In terms of space, I think the rule of thumb is 2-4 sq. ft. per bird in the coop plus about 1 ft. per bird of roosting space. The run should be several times that depending on whether you let them out into the yard or keep them in the run 24/7. Your run should be built sturdily enough to protect your girls from predators. Incidentally, chicken wire keeps the birds in more than it keeps things like dogs out. Cyclone fencing or hardware cloth are much more reliable against larger predators. We don't have any birds of prey that would go after a full grown chicken where we live... Keep a roof on your run and don't let them out? I dunno :)

kafkasgoldfish fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 9, 2011

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

spog posted:

So, if I were living in a suburban house, I could keep hens in my garden without disturbing the neighbours - even if they are the fussy type?

Generally speaking yes. They will do the occasional egg song (youtube it) which lasts a few minutes and isn't too offensive. If you have a particularly fussy hen (like a few of ours.. were) she may make an awful croaking sound during the day occasionally. Usually it's because they want something or they just really don't like you. It's definitely not as a bad as a barking dog and you can't really hear it if the windows are closed. If it becomes a problem you simple eat/replace her, a solution that usually isn't considered when the family dog has a barking problem.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How hard is it to get the drat feathers off? I've watched a few butchering videos, but most of the ones I see just strip the skin off with the feathers whole and quarter the animal out. Are plucking or the boiling method really my only options if I want a whole carcass with skin on?

You could try building one of these:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=7968684598671806901

Basically a PVC end-cap with a bunch of rubber fingers made from solid rubber bungee cords and stuck on the end of a drill. I haven't tried it but we don't butcher many chickens. The ones we have butchered were hand plucked after scalding.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Chido posted:

Yes, they can.

Well of course they can drown by they can also float. Our chickens have fallen into the pool on multiple occasions. Ours tend to float but I suppose your mileage may vary. It's pretty funny, they literally get their feathers ruffled over it.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Such glorious outrage.

How dare you touch me without your gloves, peasant.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i have two young ravens who are menacing my yard right now. one is more amenable to humans than the other. they've got surprisingly expressive faces with their big blue eyes - they'll both dive on my quail right in front of me, when i interrupt them the wild one goes :catstare: and the tamer one goes :kiddo:. it's so hard not to reward their bad behaviour just for being so cute.

I can't even begin to put into words how envious I feel right now.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Alterian posted:

I'd be more willing to free range ours if we had a rooster. Our old house didn't have predator issues so they had access to the whole backyard.

Roos have made all the difference for our flock. Every now and then I'll be outside when a hawk flies real low and our rooster will let out his pterodactyl growl that gets all the hens on alert.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

BTW, Chickam update! :derp:

The size and color of that red egg is to die for.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

MrUnderbridge posted:

They were at the "toddle, toddle, toddle -plop, sleep" stage.

Many thanks for this visual.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Joburg posted:

Talk about live prey! Our little buff Orpington cockerel caught this big toad yesterday and it took him a long time to figure out how to eat it.

Tiny little murder beasts.

The first time I saw one of my hens rushing about with a frog dangling from her beak, I followed because I was concerned she'd choke or something and then watched as she basically opened her giant maw of death and gulped it down with no problem before rushing back for more.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Oh lord, you know your hen has been broody and busy hatching chicks when the comb has fallen over to the side like that. A hard working mum, that one.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

torgeaux posted:

I lost 8 of 10 to a fox couple

Sprayed wolf urine on scent tags at the four corners of the run, and along the outside fence, so we'll see if that deters. Gonna keep making visits here painful.

That's awful; let us know how this deterrent goes for you.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

Found a new home for my girls, they leave Thursday. :unsmith:

It's really kind of you to make sure that their forever home is a good one.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

It feels so quiet outside now, I guess a part of my brain is always listening out for them, especially when walking through the kitchen.

::Tina Belcher voice:: My hearrrrt.

I'm so sorry. Animals really enrich our environments and it's sad when they're gone.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

I am going to housesit for my mom and her wife for the next week and I am looking forward to hearing their neighbour's deranged rooster who crows like he's dying, but constantly

I love him

Please return and post updates.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

RudeCat posted:

She looks like she's at the beach!

What's a chicken version of a summer beach read, I wonder.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

lekker posted:

birds the word

The tufts on their heads!

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Joburg posted:

LOL, veryone except the hen on the left, I’d guess. Spot the broody in this pic:

This is an absolutely beautiful goat. Why don't we have a goat thread???

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

I stayed up so late last night reading through this thread.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

City of Glompton posted:

there was much complaining and gnashing of beaks in the chicken yard during this process because i took a little stray cat we've been nursing back to health outside with me. she just sat quietly in the sun, but the chickens could not get over the presence of such an interloper

I hope they adopt the cat begrudgingly and end up taking dirt baths together by the end of the summer.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Joburg posted:

The Guinea hens hatched their egg and their keet is still alive on Day 2!! :neckbeard:

Look at their polka-dot fashion!

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

A chicken named Wildflower; my heart cannot take it.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Really digging this "raised bed" set up you've got going on here for your bucket planters.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

It's that time of the year when my girls stop laying and I dream about fresh eggs for months.

Joburg posted:

I sold my ducks today. I’m a bit sad.

Awww, I hope they settle into their new home and safe healing to you.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Dienes posted:

As household Quail Mistress, the right of prima ovum falls to me.

This is the sweetest egg ever laid.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

I can barely handle the absolute sweetness of all the baby peeps being posted.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Alterian posted:

Robert Smith surveying the land.

Oh my goodness at Robert Smith's entire aesthetic.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Now that it's Spring again my rooster is back to Matrix-like wild acrobatics and tries to stab me as many times as he can after I open up the coop every morning.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Uggggh, my heart when the goose caught up and the face I made when the little black lamb joined in the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Joburg posted:

I was trying to take a picture of the new NPIP legbands, lol.

Perpetually angry chicken faces melt my heart; I love them so much.