Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Babby's first good turntable

The seller modified it, removed the pre-amp and cartridge, installed better plugs and grounding wire, and included a better counterweight. He assured me I'd eventually upgrade to a Technics 1200. I doubt it, unless they somehow come down in price. Even at a discount, this table plus a preamp and cart have run me about $450. I'm happy to finally have a decent player!

On the way from Amazon is the AT 440MLB and an ART USB Plus preamp, and cables. Damned cartridge cost me more than the table. I almost got the Shure X97 but reviews said it sounded boring. Hopefully the extra $100 makes a difference. I want to thank everyone in this thread for the help. It's a lot to sift through!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Save man. I was like "you lucky motherfucker" when I started reading your post. If nothing else you can sell the pre-recorded ones.

pwn
May 27, 2004

So. I have an issue.

The wires what came with my cart, all the black ends seem to be crimped shut. They absolutely will not fit on the connecters. Is there a secret thing I'm missing, or did I inexplicably get a gently caress-You set with my new cartridge. I've tried to pry them open, to no avail.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

They are meant to be very very very snug. Like, you're supposed to be bleeding from at least two cuts after installing them. That's the official number of cuts by the way.
goddamn it :(

Thanks for the info.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I'd love a flexi, I was just reading up on them the other day and thought it'd be pretty sweet to spin a new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul9_LO-IsnE

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

The two-LP Kimono reissue is still easy to come by. There was a sweet Sparks box set that came out last year that had all four of their Island releases and a bonus LP with B-sides, while Halfnelson was reissued earlier in the year, too.

But goddamn, my kingdom for a quality copy of Angst in My Pants.
No kingdom required - $19 shipped

?

Unless you can't use ebay, there you go.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Got something interesting. Ordered a flexi from a small artist a few months back and kinda forgot about it, and it never shipped. By way of apology she sent me 4 flexis instead of the single one I ordered. I gave two away to friends who have turntables, but that still leaves one. Anyone here want it?

Here's their bandcamp, which has one of the songs on the flexi: https://kimandthecreated.bandcamp.com/

e: not selling, I'll just mail it out if you want it
It arrived today!

It will be the first record I play when I finally get my table set up. Thanks!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ben Carsons Ghost posted:

I have a needle that I can flip over, so one needle is for 33/45 , and one is for 78. i ffell like the problem would be damaging the needle.
Apparently they will damage the gently caress out of the stylus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqLyHA7GO6s

pwn
May 27, 2004

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

can someone recommend me a decent, sub $100 phono pre-amp?
Nobody else had a suggestion, so I put this forth

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BBGCCI/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pick up an AC adapter too if you're planning to not use the USB feature, as it doesn't come with one.

pwn
May 27, 2004

1000 umbrellas posted:

Download code for Psychic Temple IV:

joyfulnoiserecordings.com/downloads - uch6-38ql

Don't sleep on this record if you love good sounding music. The songwriting may not be for everyone but the playing is flawless and the sound is that sweet analog 24-track sound.
I grabbed this, but it's good for multiple downloads. I'm digging it. :cool:

pwn
May 27, 2004

I made the mistake of watching a few record cleaning videos a while back. Now 60% of my Youtube suggestions are record cleaning videos

My unscientific conclusion: there are roughly 2 methods of cleaning records for every 1 record ever produced

pwn
May 27, 2004

drat.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Direct from Third Man :woop:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Herb Alpert- and at least in my experience, Anne Murray- are staples of Goodwills, yes. Probably because he was massively popular with a generation who have been dying off in droves over the past decade, and their adult children take their dad's records to Goodwill

pwn
May 27, 2004

He was on The Tonight Show last week, which was the first time I'd actually seen him, he is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cscMvlqyfog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-9vg8x-y9I

pwn
May 27, 2004

It is $20 worth of records for Chill Callahan

That said, fantastic haul. Are a lot of them still covered in cellophane, or just the few you've posted? Either way it seems this dude really Cared for his collection and will doubtless return to haunt his offspring for just hauling it out to the curb.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Earlier this Summer, I finally found an extremely rare CD from 2009 just chilling at toneVendor in St Augustine. I'm 1,500 miles away but I'd definitely give them a look if I were passing through the Old City

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 27, 2017

pwn
May 27, 2004

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Reminds me of when I found a signed Belle and Sebastian poster Goodwill. It was tucked in the record bins for some reason with a clean crease right through the middle. They charged me $0.50 for it.
Nice! Photo please?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yeah, they take the name from the 1965 French children's novel and subsequent animated series. I loved the cartoon when I was a babby, and I've loved the band for 19 years :shobon:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Google Butt posted:

On a whim I decided that I wanted to get a record player, so I got myself an AT-LP3. Unboxed it today and my dad surprised me with his crate of records from when he was a kid, didn't even know he had them! Most super dirty, but I found a clean ELO LP, threw it on with my dad. Very cool experience listening to something with my father that he hadn't heard in 30 years. I also dug out a random LP that I had never head of before and it turned out to be 100% fire (seriously), sounds so nice through my Magni 2 + HD650s.

I've ordered a bunch of cleaning supplies, new sleeves and a Vinyl Styl cleaning system.

1. Awesome :)
2. Is that a potato crate? I was just at my buddy's house and he had about a dozen crates of taters in his garage; it didn't even occur to me to measure them, I might have to procure one or two
3. Is that oboe record the 100% Fire disc?
4. Fantastic photography, thank you for making nice pictures

pwn
May 27, 2004

I have an SNL LP from the first season like that. It’s basically an episode or best-of in audio form.

No musical guests, ironically.

(This copy is a repress from the late 80s. The original issue from ‘76 has a purple title.)

pwn
May 27, 2004

drat, dude

pwn
May 27, 2004

I seriously considered buying that but then remembered I never played nor knew about that game. Seeing it, I’m not sure I made the right decision

Thanks for the great photos!

pwn
May 27, 2004

I’m gonna have to take him up on his offer of living vicariously through this video, because I’d have a hard time forking over $35, let alone $135, for that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oh yeah, this should be good for another 6.5 days I think? Came with my book, a few different versions of the White Stripes song.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Or get one of those obscene 3 RPM records from Third Man Records (and figure out how to play your table at 3 RPM.)

pwn
May 27, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What I was getting at was more "how did it sell so much." I've played it a couple times and it's OK, but not something for my regular rotation.
My personal theory, from the last time this came up -

pwn posted:

Herb Alpert- and at least in my experience, Anne Murray- are staples of Goodwills, yes. Probably because he was massively popular with a generation who have been dying off in droves over the past decade, and their adult children take their dad's records to Goodwill

pwn
May 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Autobiographical chronology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msCS8dvSok

pwn
May 27, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

The Rascals complete As and Bs will be really good, since they are really a great band. It isn't until the very end that the quality of the singles go down, even after they stopped having hits.

Hopefully, they do something about the foreign language Groovins, since listening to that song 3 times in row, twice in what I assume are bad versions of romance languages cannot be enjoyable.
The Icky Thump B-sides disc that came with the Icky X box set last year did a similar thing with “Conquest,” where both the acoustic mariachi and Spanish language versions were together at the end of side B. It would be nicer to bookend the side with them rather than listening to the same song twice in a row.

pwn
May 27, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha Jesus that’s super weak. So I guess the mindset is ‘wed rather have less angry people who are super pissed, than more angry people who don’t mind that much’.

super nailgun posted:

Yeah I wouldn't be at all surprised if they consider the early orders a lost cause and they're just trying to keep things smooth with those going forward :(
And this is why it’s important to hold them accountable for $25.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Edit: Ohhh and I got the Ratatouille set that came out last year as well. Love the packaging on that one. Such a good OST.
Ugh, I didn’t know this existed before. $40 poorer, now :eng99:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yeah, it’s $60 a pop under the guise of a sub. I bought the Icky X package last year, and the WS live show trio after that. I skipped (canceled) for #35. I’m afraid I may have to somehow find $60 for this, however :ohdear:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Maybe they used to do it differently, but you can cancel up to the end of the first month of the quarter and still not get charged. So you have about four weeks to decide if it's worth it.

For example, package 35 was announced like the first few days of January, and I was charged for it January 31st. Boy oh boy do I wish I'd skipped that package, but I definitely had opportunity.

I don't really like these last couple packages with a single album, a single (that's really just two songs from the album this time) and a bunch of gimmicks. My first packages were 33 and 34 and I guess those spoiled me. I'll be skipping this.
An album, a single, and a premium, was the original model for TMV releases. 33 and 34 were my first, and they WERE spoiling, but I’d been looking on from afar at them since 2009. I wish I could’ve afforded the mono Icky Thump in Vault 1, that thing goes for laffo prices nowadays.

Also, the Third Man sub is charged on the day of the month you subscribed. So if you originally subscribed on April 28th, then every quarter you will be charged on the 28th.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Chill, Callahan

pwn
May 27, 2004

I thought this page 148 from 5 years ago would be fun to revisit

Ras Het posted:

What's the colouredest vinyl you got? Mine's this:

It's Discharge ‎– Realities Of War, Cherry Red Records pressing from 1984.
a few of my recents to kick things off

Golden Boots - Ev/Coyote Deathbed Surprize/Telelog Freedom. Yeah, that’s a tape of Telelog stuck on the front, PIAPTK like to be jerks about your record not fitting in with the rest of the collection. Nice orange sherbet-y vinyl

Jim White - Waffles, Triangles, and Jesus. Another PIAPTK beauty, translucent maple syrup double LP

King Gizzard - Polygondwanaland (Needlejuice Records pressing.) The second variant of NJR’s inaugural release, a red and blue split

Mother 2 (Earthbound) OST repress. I bought it for myself, and received the Meteor Splatter, nice. Then I realized it would be a perfect gift for a friend’s birthday and ordered a second copy. When he opened it, we discovered he got a variant, Ghost of Starman Starburst. We agreed it would be Totally Cool and Kickass to swap discs and now we both have both :hehe::hfive:

And an oldie

(Wooden) Wand/Golden Boots split 7”. My first taste of Golden Boots, found in a St Paul record store some 8-ish years past. Also one of my first color records. Marbled slate grey

pwn fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 19, 2018

pwn
May 27, 2004

MrSargent posted:

Ummm, so I just found an original pressing of Led Zeppelin II in decent condition for $7. It has one small scratch on the A side but is otherwise perfect. I need to go back to that dealer and scour the rest of his collection for more gems tomorrow, the store was about to close as I got there.
Does it say “RS/SS” in the dead wax? Those Bob Ludwig discs are supposed to be superb.

pwn
May 27, 2004

MrSargent posted:

It looks like it has RL / SS in the dead wax, is it actually a different pressing?
Not really, it’s the same thing. I’ll trade you my Columbia House copy :)

Robert Ludwig mastered it “hot” at Sterling Sound, which caused the stylus to jump out of the groove on cheap turntables. Atlantic’s president ordered a remaster which wasn’t as dynamic. Since I’ve never heard this fabled pressing, I have no opinion of it, but good on you!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ludwig only did II and HotH as far as I know.

pwn
May 27, 2004

MrSargent posted:

I’m actually considering this to help fund my vinyl collection. I found an estate sale with 14 boxes of records from the 50s-70s that the seller only wants a couple hundred for that I have my eye on. There’s probably 500+ records in the collection.

With vinyl seeing a resurgence lately, I have thought about trying to get into selling records as a way of funding my collection. Please tell me if this is a stupid idea.
The reason your record is scratched is because of those aforementioned cheap needles skidding across its surface. There were 200,000 of these discs pressed; copies that aren’t scuffed-up are the ones you can sell to Rich Dads.

Try to flatten it out and enjoy your record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3V95uZMv70

Long-time forums members will recognize this. PayPal being PayPal.

Considering that orders were still going out as of early March... have faith, I guess. Sorry for your troubles :(