Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Got a copy of the new Beach House album 2 weeks early. My local record store had a listening party last night for the new album, and raffled off a copy which I won.

It's a great album. Much more cohesive than Depression Cherry/Thank Your Lucky Stars.
Your setup is beautiful and I’m going to copy it. Where did you get the cube shelf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

It’s just a white kallax from ikea.
Thank you, kindly rat

pwn
May 27, 2004

Skeezy posted:

So Cowboy Bebop is finally getting a proper record release :dance:

But only if you buy it in a bundle. :negative:

It’s funny because they know anyone who wants to buy this would already have bought the series on Blu-Ray, DVD remix sessions, and DVD OG release. Just a straight, “gently caress you, suckers”

Even if I had $250 just laying around, no way would I ever buy this

pwn
May 27, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Guns N' Roses just announced a massive archival box set of their Appetite for Destruction-era material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpVrCQv3m7c

Rumored price is $699

:suicide:
For an extra $1 they’ll throw in Chinese Democracy

pwn
May 27, 2004

dorium posted:

looking at the pre-order numbers now, this thing might not even happen too. they're nowhere near their numbers they want to start manufacturing these.

https://www.funimation.com/bebop20th/
The website uses Standard Time when we’re in Daylight Time

This is not a professional operation

pwn
May 27, 2004

camoseven posted:

As a professional web developer I will tell you that time zones are loving hard, and while there are many things I judge websites harshly on that’s not one of them.
It isn’t a time zone, it’s six months of the year when most of the country uses Daylight Time.

They’re listing all these funding deadlines as CST, or Central Standard Time. The deadlines are happening during Daylight time, so they should read CDT.

It’s one of those things that most people don’t care about, and that’s fine, people just repeat things they hear without thinking about what they mean. But if you’re expecting me to give you hundreds of dollars, I’m going to expect you to know what words mean

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

I feel like my greatest contribution to this forum is getting people to buy this album. I’m fine with that.
it’s me, i’m the one who is susceptible to peer influence

Too bad the plastic isn’t green and splatty (Sad!.) but the tunes are extremely green and splatty :hellyeah:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Previously, on Goon Giveaways- -

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Got something interesting. Ordered a flexi from a small artist a few months back and kinda forgot about it, and it never shipped. By way of apology she sent me 4 flexis instead of the single one I ordered. I gave two away to friends who have turntables, but that still leaves one. Anyone here want it?

Here's their bandcamp, which has one of the songs on the flexi: https://kimandthecreated.bandcamp.com/

e: not selling, I'll just mail it out if you want it

pwn posted:

It arrived today!

It will be the first record I play when I finally get my table set up. Thanks!
Alright, so I’m a procrastinator, and it wasn’t the first one I played. But I am quite enjoying it right now

Grungy greasy lo-fi and it really fits the flexi-disc format. Thanks again!

pwn
May 27, 2004

MrSargent posted:

I jumped on that Fatbeats Exclusive for the Rev Shines feat. Conway LP called Grimey poo poo. I will absolutely take a picture when I get home because the album art is pretty cool. I listened to it last night and its really good stuff, exactly the kind of beats I like. I didn't realize that Rev was such a huge DJ and that he is largely responsible for Questlove's vinyl collection.
Just looked it up. The art is... uh. I mean it’s cool and all but kind of Bad Idea Jeans too.

Also,

quote:

Limited to 500 copies, with controversial artwork from legendary Los Angeles visual artist ABCNT, this record will not be around for long. This will be exclusive to vinyl, with no digital sales or streaming.

Street Corner Music does it again.
:jerkbag:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yeah that’s why I was looking it up and why I am Very Upset that it was limited to 2 copies with no streaming and the master tapes thrown into Kilauea.

Just make a decently-sized run so I could have enjoyed it, jerks. :(

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone here want a copy of Fiona Apple's Tidal? I have one, I don't want it. It's unplayed.
PM sent :o

pwn
May 27, 2004

is it green and splatty??

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

Nah. But it plays perfectly and sounds awesome. Really all I care about.
:hfive: it’s living in steady rotation. Great for housecleaning and whatnot.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Wizgot posted:

Thanks for the Response. I contacted the seller and will pick it up tomorrow or on Saturday. I also saw a Dual 430 turntable but the cover was melted due to being in the sun.
It’s probably an LX210 and not an XL210 if that helps you find information. You may want to confirm with the seller

pwn
May 27, 2004

Actually your favorite thing is that they’re both too old to hear the damned difference anymore.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I trust my eyes as much as i trust my ears and just bought a scale. $14 to Know For Sure.

I spent 10 minutes getting it level by eye, zeroed out the counterweight, weighed it on the scale, found out it was a little over a gram too heavy. Buy the scale

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I'd like to know where these garage sales are that have poo poo like this instead of Barry Manilow comps and showtunes from the 50s.
For real.

Also last time I was in a Goodwill, they were asking ridiculous prices like :10bux: for the usual beat up 70s Country and lite rock. It took a decade or two but news of The Vinyl Resurgence™ has finally made it to Susan at Goodwill Industries International, Inc.

:rip: Finding cheap records at Goodwill. It was fun while it lasted

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

JACK WHITE, SEND ME MY TROUT MASK REPLICA. :argh:

I know they said early June and I don't care. Gimme.
Just be happy you could afford it :cry:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Thanks a lot, buddy, I am $40 closer to a June of abject poverty.

pwn
May 27, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

I ordered windswept and cherry and international shipping was $36 :( I wanted to get themes for television too but that bumped the shipping up to $51. has USPS increased their prices recently?
What? I ordered Camera and a 7”, and shipping to the US was only $6.30. Did you get rush shipping on accident?

pwn
May 27, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

international shipping. it's never been cheap but I would have expected more like $25 for 3 discs, not $35
Oh, drat. I thought this was shipping from Italy, ha. That’s brutal.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Get a lot of music for a little price from the good folks at PiaPtK and Folktale records:

quote:

GET 15 Items for $19.99!

Folktale Records was a kindred spirit of our based in Los Angeles. We co-released the Anni Rossi/Whitman split with them almost a decade ago.

Christopher Payne, who ran Folktale and recorded under the name Whitman, decided to shut Folktale down, get rid of everything and move to Austin. A few months ago, he loaded up my car to the ceiling with Folktale stock, because otherwise it was going to the dump. And these are quality records that deserve loving homes. Most are in hand-silkscreened sleeves.

We are throwing in Folktale releases with most purchases, but, if you want something specific, or just want to bulk up your collection in a hurry by buying the Folktale Starter Pack, we are selling them SUPER CHEAP.

Folktale Starter Pack: 5x LPs, 1x 10", 2x7"s, 1x5", 4xCDs, 2xCassettes - 15 items for $19.99!
Whitman – White Sunrise LP
Whitman – I'll be Waiting LP
Whitman – Dog Rose Gall LP
Whitman – Recovering Darkness LP
No Paws (No Lions) LP
Anni Rossi / Whitman 10”
Whitman/No Babies 5”
Whitman – I'll Be Waiting CD
Whitman – My Heart is an Anchor CD
Whitman – Dust Unsettled CD
Whitman – Dog Rose Gall CD
Foot Ox 7”
Ezra Buchla / Whitman 7”
VA – Smashed Summer Jams 2xCassette of covers by a ton of artists including Simon Joyner, R Stevie Moore, Carla Bozulich, Charlie McAlister, Amps for Christ, etc etc.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

Probably a pricing error but you can get Leonard Cohen's Songs of Love and Hate for $8 on Amazon right now
$6.99 now, but only for Prime members. My friend was boss enough to grab us both a copy though.

Thanks!

pwn
May 27, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I have this and I don’t think I’ve ever listened to it due to the combination of it not being a fantastic record and the sheer inconvenience. I’m not entirely sure why I picked it up, but I do remember I paid for it and didn’t bother actually collecting my copy from the store for about 6 months or so.
I got you both beat. I not only own the AFI album, but I bought it from Hot Topic.

Why was I in a Hot Topic? Because they had a small vinyl selection, and in 2007 it was hard to find anyone selling vinyl around here. The struggle was real

On the other hand, the mid-2000s were such an affordable time to collect records. I was looking at a Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks double LP I bought at Best Buy in 2008. Price tag? $13.99. And a Cat Power record from a Madison store has a tag of $10.99. The aforementioned decemberunderground was either $20 or $25, it would easily be $40 today. I bulked up my Dad Rock collection buying huge lots of pristine discs from goons in SA Mart cheap.

Obviously it was more that the vinyl market was in a depression ten years ago than that the prices are hyperinflated now. But drat do I miss those days

pwn
May 27, 2004

My Chromatics arrived today, complete with NWS cartoon titty sticker on the package

And like someone else here, I too had some bonus promo posters and CDs used as packing material. Score!

Thanks, Italians Do It Better :thumbsup:

P.S. and I don’t have Amazon Prime, but my friend does, and so today I also got some love and hate

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 19, 2018

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Call me back when you make a kickstarter version of the Edison cylinders, you loving posers.
It’s the only piece of modern equipment that I will touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fA9sJ3LBwg

pwn
May 27, 2004

The Walrus posted:

new presets album arrived from au and it's beautiful

Wow. That’s awful pretty.

(Googles)

:suicide:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Someone mixed up the plates at the plant. Any chance of identifying the country-rock artist/album/side?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Or google one of the lyrics.

pwn
May 27, 2004

i hate you

(Enjoy the record!)

pwn
May 27, 2004

drat. You guys maybe live near bad distro centers? I’ve gotten about half a dozen records from them over the last year or so and each has been perfect. The ones friends got me for Christmas came double-boxed in ridiculously oversized outer boxes, even.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

That's on the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack as well. As embarrassing as it is to discover music through movie soundtracks, Tarantino usually comes through. Death Proof is particularly wanky about it and features his personal jukebox pretty prominently in a few scenes. Still owns though.
haha, you aren’t familiar wjth all music and have to experience new things through curated media. like a plebe

Nah, there’s nothing shameful about discovering new music through soundtracks.

Edit: re: ”I Gotcha”: I first heard that song from my mum singing it :shobon:

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ylVRqfKfvM

I’m not a restoration expert, but this seems very sound. Then the comments section is filled with tech bros harrumphing her process. I’d love to see the response in an alternate reality where everything was the same but the gender of the technician. This isn’t entirely rhetorical; the comments may actually be making some good points, I don’t know enough to say one way or the other. My gut (and it is a prodigious one) says that she’s doing a fine job, and the negative reaction is down to a mix of mansplaining and horrible nerds who spend too much time gazing at EQ charts and not enough time listening to music.

Re: Horrible nerds: They’re a cancer on the photography industry as well. Pixel Peepers, we call ‘em. I prefer photogs who know the technical stuff but use it to make great photos, rather than becoming obsessed with gear

pwn
May 27, 2004

oh my god

edit: it has four sides :confuoot:

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 26, 2018

pwn
May 27, 2004

Seems like a vexing problem amongst ATs and Technics, alike

Make sure it’s level, and lower your anti-skate?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tropical gently caress Storm’s special edition is already sold out, which is probably good because I was about 70% of the way to talking myself into spending $30.85 that I absolutely do not have to spare

(:smith:)

pwn
May 27, 2004

I have one tape-only Golden Boots album, a couple Gay Cum Daddies albums, a two-tape compilation from Folk Tale Records, and a couple oddballs my buddy gifted to me. And a bunch of old stuff from my teen years that’s sitting in boxes somewhere

Still no way to play them, of course. Thankfully most of them came with digital downloads

pwn
May 27, 2004

If I hadn't gotten laid off yesterday, I never would have found this gem at the thrift store today.

Sometimes things just work out for the best.
MUSIC INSPIRED BY
STAR
WARS

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

...I don't own this :negative:
Thank you for reminding me that I have to get me some Negativland at some point in the future.

As for today, I also thank you for alerting me to this gem, which arrived fresh from Essex today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

UPDATE

pwn posted:

Tropical gently caress Storm’s special edition is already sold out, which is probably good because I was about 70% of the way to talking myself into spending $30.85 that I absolutely do not have to spare

(:smith:)
And yet, this morning, it was still sitting in my cart, and I was able to purchase it... despite it having been sold out for two days. :shrug: I know they reserve extras of their limited editions for replacing damaged copies, so I will probably get it. Looks like I got lucky. We’ll see around Halloween