Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

hayden. posted:

Tassles are one thing I'll never get. It always makes me think of this:

and how they're trying to make a more manly version of it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

That attitude is why I stay away from the assfault junkies forum.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

If you go fast enough and it's wet, you'll hydroplane when you layer dan.:haw:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Xovaan posted:

and despite being new, it barely idles.
Probably the EFI running lean to meet EPA emission regs, I bet new mapping would do wonders.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I've pissed off a few douches by calling them fagpipes, the pipes, not the douches. Most of the people that have seen The F Word just laugh, though.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I suppose I'd rather layer dan than go over an overpass and fall 50ft like that guy in SF did a few years ago.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Maybe he meant using the clutch to shift then a clutch up for a wheelie in every gear. PERFORMANCE:rock:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

You have to get it from up in the mountains over the pollution, yes I know it's thinner, but free-range air is always better.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I wish the MSF or something like it were mandatory for your license here.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

That's always an option on a long distance ride. :c00lbert:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I think we must all accept that to a vast majority of Americans, bikes are either Harleys or "crotch rockets".
Or dirt bikes, if I have to explain the KLR to someone, I've given up saying dual sport, enduro or on/off road and just say dirt bike now. The next question is usually "You can ride that on the street?".

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

americanzero4128 posted:

Overheard stupid poo poo? Happened to me yesterday! I was sitting at a stop light on my Honda Shadow and this guy on a Harley rolls up next to me, goes "Bet you wish you had a Harley right now!", looked over at me all :smug: like he had issued the most wicked burn ever.

Had that happen and told him I didn't like minivans.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Strife posted:

Yesterday I met a buddy of mine at a steakhouse for lunch. I was sitting on my bike in the parking spot texting him when I noticed that the truck pulling out of the space next to me had stopped in front of me and both people were looking at me. They weren't old, but they looked like they'd just passed middle age in the least graceful way. They woman in the passenger seat leaned out the window and asked, "Hey what kind of bike is that?"

"Harley Davidson"

The driver yelled out "She thought it was a HONDA!"

"No I didn't!"

As they started to drive away, the driver yelled out "Yes she did!" and started laughing at her.

I don't even know what to take away from that.

"But he looked like one of the nicest people."

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Had the obligatory ATGATT discussion with some dudes on a local forum. All of the standard arguments were there, such as "I already put myself in danger by riding a motorcycle, gear doesn't matter", "who cares what other people choose to do?" and "I'm only hurting myself if I crash".

In the end, it more or less devolved into people screaming "You are NOT the boss of me! Na na na I can't hear you!".

Goddammit. I love bikes, but I hate most of the people who ride them :(

The sheer unadulterated cognitive dissonance is mind-boggling.

I usually shut them up with something like I'm against helmet laws too, but it's because I want to see the faces of the morons so I know who's too loving stupid to ride near.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

nsaP posted:

To me 'squid' is a mentality, not just a lack of gear, but get used to meeting those types.

Wait till they tell you that all the stuff you wear is the reason that you can ride in the 'cold' (i.e. less than 60F). My buddies dad said to me some time in April or May "Weather's looking good, it's finally time to get the bike out." He'd seen me riding all year round but said it anyway. I bit and said "Hasn't stopped me from riding..."

His response was "Well you got all that stuff on keeping you warm."

As if it's impossible for him to ride wearing anything to keep him warm...guess it's a peek into his mindset, or it's just what he tells himself so he doesn't feel like a pussy for wrapping his bike up 6 months out of the year.

I've had a couple of fair weather no gear riders at work mention it was too cold or rainy to ride when I was getting my gear on for the ride home. I usually tell them to quit being a pussy, man up and put some gear on.
None of them have yet.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I think if someone brought up the resale value thing like that (not that I ride a lot at the moment but I want that to change) I think I'd give them the most WTF look imaginable and say something along the lines of "I bought my bike ride, not to sell!".

I always liked "You bought something that depreciates as an investment? You're like the worlds dumbest businessman."

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Layer Dan strikes again.
http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/crime-law/2-year-old-causes-dayton-motorcycle-crash/nY5Jr/

quote:

John J. Golden was riding a maroon 1979 Harley Davidson going west on Fourth when the child ran out into the road from between two parked cars, according to the report.

Golden laid the bike down and avoided striking the boy.

Police noted when officers arrived the man was sitting on the curb in obvious pain because of the possible fracture. He was taken to Miami Valley Hospital for treatment.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Guy at work left his KZ1000r at the shop because it was raining, he told me he doesn't like to take it out in the rain since it always kicks the rear wheel out from having too much power.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

He says the tire were new last year, I said to keep off the throttle and he replied that it has too much power for wet roads. This is the someone they used to call Superbike Mike because he'd try to get a knee down, go too slow and fall over. He also told me about someone using a copper penny as a shim*.

*poo poo that didn't happen txt

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

nsaP posted:

Make sure the kill switch isn't disabled....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mQ-5mWNOLo

Isn't that the same road the redneck in the truck tried to run the rider off the road a couple of years ago?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

There's an enormous area of the midwest that looks exactly the same as every other area of the midwest, too. That could be essentially anywhere between Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Iowa.

It's an nsaP/ Assfault Junkies post, there's a really high chance it would be KY 22.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Plus it let's you ID idiots you're probably better off not riding near.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Ban hydrogen dioxide NOW!
Well, it IS pretty nasty stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I gotta remember that one.

Chrome Turd.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Richard Bong posted:

What are the thoughts on all the Concourses that sit at about $3k with 40k miles on them on craigslist? If that is a dumb idea what is the other affordable sport tourer option?

You mean the old ZG1000? Good bike for what it is, they're a bit top heavy and tires in those sizes are getting hard to find, but the engine's pretty simple to work on with screw type valve adjustment, kind of like an EX500 with 4 cylinders. One of my instructors at the MSF course had an early 90's model with a couple hundred thousand miles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

• Locked thread