Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nothing related to anything posted recently but two things:

1. Been watching cyraptors old doom 2/d64 lps as background and they're both pretty hilarious. Well okay, d2 was hilarious, d64 alternate between funny and sad because you could tell he was hating it by the end. Both good runthroughs though, if you need something to watch. Dunno if he even visits sa anymore but if he does, thanks for all the effort you put into those!

2. Been slowly playing Doom 3: BFG with a controller, having only played the original version when it first came out, and you can totally tell they designed it around the slower pace you need with sticks because it actually works.

Also, after loving around with lots of options in the console to get it looking like the original, I have to say I think the pumped up lightscale in bfg looks a lot better than the original. But unless you change a lot of options the game really does look like poo poo, it took a few hours of work to get the game to accept manually changed config options without using the console (so i can still get achievements) and getting all the right options copied from D3 to have it looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CyRaptor posted:

Hey hi thanks yeah I'm still here. Those old LPs are pretty embarrassing and bad and you probably have bad taste for liking them. I also did an Ultimate Doom marathon stream last year that's up on Youtube and marginally better but still sad.
Hah nice! And yeah im replaying d3 so clearly my taste is pottery poo poo, so can i get a link to that yt? Was actually kinda bummed that you didn't have a ultdoom lp to watch lol

It's been a few years since you did those lps, did you finally give up the doom life or you still making wads? Move on to duke3d?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hey CyRaptor, finally got through your udoom lp. Good stuff! You've really mellowed out lol. I've never been great at doom so finally seeing how all the secrets work was a plus, and getting to see all the alphas was awesome. Definitely looks a lot better than the previous lps as well.

e: did have one question from the video though: you had mentioned in the inferno levels (i think) that one of the demon head wall textures was actually an arch-vile and that there was a story behind it or something, but you never got around to talking about it. Do you remember anything about that?

site fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 5, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

EvilGenius posted:

Mid to late 90s pre-rendered graphics are my favourite thing - remember when you saw those grainy FMV pre-rendered videos and thought 'one day the actual game will look like that'?

Haha yeah i remember when i got my ps1 it came with a demo disc with Tekken that had a prerendered video at the beginning and my reaction was just so :O :O :O i actually pulled my parents in to watch it too lol. Ah to be young again...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Had to hit Google to get a big enough screen cap from D2 to compare but yeah I can see it.

I don't suppose they ever gave a reason for cutting it from D1? I'm sure it was nothing more than time purposes, but due to the nature of the character I'm a little curious if they had problems with balance or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shadow Hog posted:

I also wish to know where that image came from.

Hell, it's barely even a mention, it's just tacked onto the description of a forum that has all of two topics, neither of which are related to Powerslave.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569772&pagenumber=108&perpage=40

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh yeah, forgot to officially request a Duke Nukem 3D LP thread.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CyRaptor posted:

I did a stream of the whole game about a year ago and never uploaded it anywhere. So, uh, I guess I should do that, since you're not the first person to ask. Give me a few days to get it together and I'll post the links in here.

The half-finished Blood stream that succeeded it will never see the light of day again, though. What a clusterfuck that was.

And I'll never, ever do an proper LP thread again. Way too much commitment.
Sounds like I lucked out then, thanks!

e: I actually watched a blood lp a few months ago and to be honest it looked kinda boring anyways...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
For once I agree with you, fish.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I didn't know he co-founded Doomworld. That's pretty awesome!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dominic White posted:

Planisphere 2 is less good, but is a scale model of New York.
Just watched a YouTube of this and while amazing to look at, how the gently caress are you supposed to play something like that?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hey CyRaptor, you're probably just busy but I'm gonna poke you anyways.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I remember Prey doing a lot of loving with players with the portals.

Does the level design style of Turok have anything to do with saving storage space, ie is it easier on memory requirements to have a level multiple stories (though obfuscated through things like fog) than it is to have a sprawling "real world" layout?

SilentW & Zaphod42: In terms of level design, what does 5d mean (if easily explainable)?

site fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 18, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wow, thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Now for my next question, as someone who has no level designing experience whatsoever, is there maybe a good YouTube or general overview of the differences between, say doom's 2.5d, duke's build engine room over room, and today's 3d design capabilities? I understand the concept of just adding poo poo together in today's engines well enough, but I don't really "get" what you guys mean when comparing to the other two engines and I figure a visual would probably help lol.

E:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone even remotely interested in this stuff should read Mark Z Danielewsky's fantastic book House of Leaves.
I can recommend comic series Locke & Key for the theme as well.

site fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 19, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SilentW posted:

The shortest way to explain it is this - DOOM and other '2.5D' engines treat maps as a set of infinitely tall vertical planes (think of a bunch of fences) with defined 'top' and 'bottom' heights, which are where the engine draws the horizontal floors and ceilings.

True 3D engines treat maps as sets of points in 3D space - every point has a X, Y, and Z coordinate, and is connected to some arbitrary other number of points to create polygons.
Okay, so for levels with room over room and/or big arena spaces you need to essentially hack the level editor by making the "fences" absurdly huge to get everything to fit?

e: just saw your edit

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, part of the reason that the only enemies in Portal are unmoving turrets is because the AI literally can't interact with the portals in Source. If you install a Portal Gun into Garry's Mod, the enemies will completely ignore it, and considering Source's AI, they'd probably explode trying to enter one if they could.

Do you know why not? I get why they wouldn't know how to use the gun itself but shouldn't portals just be treated as doors for AI to interpret?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Does Source really not do dynamic pathing? I remember having to compile pathways for custom maps a lot back when i played cs; could they not enable that functionality real-time and offload it to a core nowadays?

site fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 20, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Are there any into dumps around on source 2? I'd be interested in seeing what's new/changed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sir Lemming posted:

Don't think I saw this posted yet. Unreal Tournament: The New One has its first fully-textured map up and running, and it looks fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4tNU2jgTZU

Still cutting-edge graphics with a big fancy skybox, but the overall aesthetic is closer to Mirror's Edge than Gears of War. Clean, crisp, easy to tell what the hell you're actually running around in. I have high hopes!

You can download the latest pre-alpha from the sidebar at http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/ with a free registration. It's got an actual full-blown installer and all that, very easy to set up.

Oh, and apparently Unreal Engine 4 is 100% free now as well, no developer's subscription or anything.

Is this the free to play ut that was talked about a while ago?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jblade posted:

edit: Apparently Wolfenstein: New Order is getting a standalone prequel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVEpo_35sA

This reminds me I still haven't played or even watched an lp for new order.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sir Lemming posted:

I thought so when I watched the video, but during actual gameplay you barely notice it. Even with no enemies. Or maybe my video card just doesn't do the shiny.

I skimmed through some of the other unfinished maps that ship with the alpha and some of them have massive potential. I can't check right now but I think one called Cannon had a lot of cool jump pad stuff, and another one was very reminiscent of that awesome mountaintop castle map from UT99. But with a cavey skybox.

Is 2towers or whatever-the-gently caress back?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

haveblue posted:

Facing Worlds/CTF-Face :getin:
That's the one!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CyRaptor posted:

really cool stuff
That was me. Thanks a bunch for putting in the effort to get these up, I really appreciate it! Can't wait to get into em.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kazvall posted:

I just got two copies of Zero Tolerance for the Sega Genesis. Arguably the first original console FPS released in North America. In 1994. It features things like jumping, ducking, melee combos, persistent blood on walls and floors from hurt enemies, bouncing grenades, night vision, a flashlight, and a full inventory system. Hugely ahead of it's time.

Why did I get two copies? Because it's the only Genesis game that can use a system link cable to play coop.
This sounds amazing.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Absolutely. What's ironic about me not listening to game soundtracks back then (even though I did, just not always) is that I now do a bit of video game scoring. I have to say, though, that I only really played 'outside' music during a game that I had already played to death. For any new game, I'd usually stick to the soundtrack.

Not FPS related, but I actually played a lot of Ocarina of Time to Radiohead's OK Computer, so that would be one of my exceptions. At the time, I was sad that the Legend of Zelda theme wasn't actually in the game, and almost all of the music was new to me, as I hadn't played LttP that much beforehand (I was a Genesis kid, not a SNES kid).
Spyro the Dragon with Gorillaz self-titled

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Conversely, what game would you say you listened to the most music you got introduced to with?

I played so much cs as a kid, I've listened to drat near everything with it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol forgot about that ad campaign.

Good game though. Having never played Sin before emergence i was pissed I only ever got one episode. Really showed how lovely that idea was for major games.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

Anyone else having terrible stuttering with eduke32 recently? I have an Nvidia card and since about a year ago it's been practical unplayable.
Yeah, me too. Had to drop down from that polymer renderer to polymost to get it to run again. Or vice versa. Whatever is the max to next best lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Totally wanna play Emergence again now...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

Sadly I get the exact same stuttering problem with that as well :( maybe an underlying Nvidia driver issue or something, who knows
Nah, i have ati so whatever it is is built in suckage.

What secret level in emergence?

site fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 12, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Woolie Wool posted:

Tribes 2 music works quite well with Quake.
Omg Tribes :drool:

The game that got me into FPSs. Always a place in my heart for you!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I forgot about Emergence's weird AI system that can end up with you in near or straight up impossible sequences if its up too high. And the loading system for Source games...ugh. So glad we've moved beyond this in today's games.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Tecman posted:

What, this thing?
http://www.cafepress.com/sinepisodes.58219858

Yeah, pretty amusing. :)
Of course the model guy has a pony tail.

And yeah, the tower part, and the parts where your up against the mutants, but the game doesn't supply you with enough ammo (and specifically the pistol secondary that does mad damage to them).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Interested...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't know if this fits in this topic, but I somehow believe Gearbox is currently developing a Duke Nukem game, and I look forward to it one day. Always bet on Duke.
There was once a mod who felt as you do...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Except for the unique enemies at the end of each act and the flying Hitler things, though, I think.

Hey, yeah, "trance" is a really good way of putting it. I feel like, when I'm at my best in Doom and Serious Sam, I'm usually in a sort of "zone". They might be pretty different games, but there's a distinct rhythm to the weapons, movement, and enemies in both. The Cyberdemon's rockets are spaced this far apart; a Kleer will automatically leap at you within a certain distance; the shotguns fire this fast; etc. You get to a point where you stopped actively thinking about what's going to happen next because you're tuned in to the patterns that everything makes based on animation and sound, like some sort of FPS Rainman. That's when you can just endlessly circle-strafe around a mob of 50 Kleer without being injured, or effortlessly dismantle a gaggle of imps and HK's without a scratch. It's basically a magical dance of sorts.
That's a great way to describe it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I know I'm gonna get reamed for this, but does anyone know of any texture packs for 3D Doom enemy models that don't suck complete rear end. Admittedly, I'm giving Doomsday a shot, and although obviously it has the option to play with the original sprites I wanted to give the 3D models a go. I figured someone would've come up with better textures by now...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sad, but not unsurprising. I just kind hoped that after all this time, and with how popular Doom modding is, someone mighta taken a crack at it. Oh well, back to sprites.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cat Mattress posted:

Nah, there's the old Doomsday models but there's also a newer set by Sitters for Risen3D.
http://risen3d.drdteam.org/downloads.htm

Disclaimer: I've never used either.
Thanks, I'll guinea pig em tonight.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Elliotw2 posted:

Probably a lot of this is because Doom doesn't support animation blending. If a sprite is attacking, it's using the firing frames even if it's moving around. You might be able to halfass it with some extreme decorate hacks, but it's probably not worth it at all when you can just use the same few sets and let the low resolution cover for the engine limits.

Isn't this what Beautiful Doom does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

closeted republican posted:

Hey, I like BFG edition more than regular Doom 3.
Yeah, bfg is better once you adjust the configs.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NeTuWMzYJw

At what stage does something stop being a mod and becomes a bizarro art piece? :psyduck:
Awesome.

I always thought Outlaws was an adventure game...Hmmm

Hey CyRaptor, finally got through your Duke videos. Man what a slog. Guess I had major rose-tinted glasses going on for that game. Still, thanks for doing the LP and then putting them up for me. You do good stuff!