Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

netcat posted:

Maybe not a classic FPS, but Jedi Outcast was a fantastic game and the most fun I've ever had in a multiplayer game.

Jedi Outcast is great, but its FPS-only sections mostly suck and are easily outclassed by Dark Forces or Jedi Knight. It doesn't help that the game doesn't give you any of the fun guns until after you get all your Jedi poo poo so you're probably going to use them only minimally.

Unrelatedly wow, Scourge of Armagon doesn't gently caress around. You know what Quake needed more of? Floors collapsing into lava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Architecture and layout are an integral part of enemy encounters so yes it's still an issue.

The whole point of the asset reuse is that they can play on your familiarity with the areas to gently caress your poo poo up in new and exciting ways. It's not as if you're literally playing previous levels backwards -- Two Betrayals is the closest to this but has plenty of detours and such that weren't in Assault. Keyes and Maw play nothing like the levels on which their maps were based and have as much original map content as they do reused. Maybe that's still anathema to some people but I would much prefer an exciting remix of a previous map to a brain-dead "original" level like The Library.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

It also had a vastly different theme than the other halo games all around, such as the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWh9l8RSkPk <- seriously everybody click this.
That song is loving beautiful. I mean I love me the main Halo theme too, Marty O'Donnel rules as a composer, but ODST really let him stretch and try new things and it worked.

Their biggest problem was calling it Halo: ODST. What a terrible marketing idea. Only hardcore fan-nerds know what that means.
I'm confident if they'd called it Halo: Noir or Dark Halo or Halo: Nightfall it would have sold 10x as many copies.

ODST's biggest problem was that it was mostly dull blundering around a samey-looking city in the middle of the night with occasional interludes of blundering around the samey-looking city in the day. It's good-looking and good-sounding but the game plays like an even slower Halo 3.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

apophenium posted:

Finally decided to start playing Quake for the first time, and I'm curious about the difficulty levels. I really like playing Doom on Ultra-Violence, is that equivalent to Quake's Hard or Nightmare?

Quake doesn't really have anything quite like Doom Nightmare, so you could say that Quake Nightmare is equivalent to Doom UV. But I'd say start at Hard, playing Nightmare before you know the maps is going to get you killed an awful lot.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Reading all this makes me glad I've never played a single Quake game. :v:

Haha, who needs the greatest 3d shooter ever made am I right fellas

Woolie Wool posted:

If you play hundreds of Quake maps and aren't hopelessly bad at video games like me you'll become so good at Quake you need ever more ridiculous challenges to overcome. Fortunately most Quake mappers tend to be more lenient with easy and normal skill levels than Doom mappers. Most. (TRONYYYYYYYN :argh:)

Yyyyyyeah I just played Koshtra Belorn from mapjam2 on Nightmare and I'm ready to never see another scrag again

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

czg posted:

Minus the tech stuff; That's Bloodborne!

It's really not. I get that you could describe Bloodborne as gothic/inter dimensional but there's no way that translates into it being aesthetically similar to Quake. If anything Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are probably more similar in terms of what they try to accomplish with their environments - really forbidding dark grimy dungeons and castles where you never know what is going to jump you next - even though they don't really have the occult/scifi themes. I can imagine getting bombarded by Ogres and Vores as I descend 5-1 without too much trouble. Still that's kind of loose similarity, they both have scary dark medieval maps. I'd have a really hard time thinking of anything modern that is similar to Quake's art style actually.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Dark Forces really needs mouselook. Turrets are incredibly hard to hit, and one location in particular is full of cliffs that are really easy to walk off of.

Turrets are almost never worth killing in Dark Forces. They hit gently caress hard, they tend to be in corridors so there's not much room to dodge, and the weird artillery-style vertical aim means they'll blow you away while you sit there trying gamely to adjust your angle. Just sprint past and take the hit. Luckily they only have a really strong presence in one or two levels. The artillery aim makes a couple secrets a bitch to get too.

e: if you're a real bad rear end mother you can try chucking a detonator at the ceiling as you run by

Parrotine posted:

I remember this mining level, the one that you got to fight the phase 1 shock (?) Storm Trooper near the end of it...

Dark Troopers still scare the poo poo out of me. The high level ones are pretty much the most health in the game flying around at the quickest speed in the game with the best weapon in the game, while the low level ones are merely ungodly tough robot death skeletons that charge you fearlessly and beat the poo poo out of you the instant they spot you. The maze of tunnels when you're trying to escape the ice level was absolutely petrifying to me as a child, in reality it's like three rooms and they're all pretty small, but when you don't know that and you are panicking scrambling through tight identical corridors in half light and you can just hear those sons of bitches clanking around beyond what door you know not...it might as well be an endless hell for a baby FPS player. Think I only got through that bit by spamming the mortar around every corner and listening for the mechanical screams of soulless fury.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 11, 2015

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Deus Ex makes me wish there was a better Matrix game.

Enter the Matrix makes me wish this

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Heavy_D posted:

Hey guys, some classic Quake action going on. It's a retro jam, this time trying to copy the strange styles and features of the Elder World (aka Ep. 4 ). These maps were all made in a week so they're not full size, but they are well worth playing:

http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61250

Should have seen this coming when I heard "Elder World", but gently caress spawns, seriously

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

netcat posted:

I remember falling into the water in the city(?) level (where you can find Max in a house) and a giant goddamn fish just came out of nowhere and it scared 11 year old me shitless

The squid things are actually really squishy and totally non threatening at a distance. The most dangerous enemy in JK is gravity by far

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Those things are also supposed to be squids, but you could be forgiven for not noticing since their modus operandi is to pop up in pitch blackness, flail at you for half a second and 50 damage, and then vanish.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

With maximum Force Sprint, you could off yourself by running into the walls.

Oh yeah, four stars in Force Jump is almost as bad a newbie trap - especially if you played the later games first and, oblivious to the ceiling above your head, are wondering why holding down your jump key doesn't seem to make you jump.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Shayu posted:

I'm not so sure about playing Marathon, I viewed some people play it on Youtube and it seemed too simple, so did 'Outlaws' but I think the cartoons will be interesting enough for me to desire to play it. These other games though look so interesting to me, I might purchase them if they become cheap enough so that I will not care if I do not enjoy them. I thought CHASM: THE RIFT was the most interesting of all the games, I am going to purchase it this winter now that I have much free time and can waste it on frivolous things. Thank you for your expert opinions.

This game looks SO cool.

I appreciate the recommendations.

The first Marathon has really simple mapping but there's a few levels which are really good. It's the second and third games where you start to get interesting designs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

fishmech posted:

Honestly Half Life 1's least pleasant part to play these days is the alien world parts. I find the Black Mesa parts to be pretty great but the Xen stuff is just blugh. It really feels dated, and I usually just skip it when I replay HL1.

Totally disagree, Xen's gameplay is annoying and unsatisfying puzzle nonsense interspersed with whack-a-vortigaunt but in terms of atmosphere and vibe it is way cooler than anything at Black Mesa. Since the whole game is annoying and unsatisfying puzzle nonsense interspersed with whack-a-vortigaunt, that counts for a lot.

Also I don't get how people think Quake has aged badly, it is a drat good looking game for its time and its gameplay has held up a lot better than that of any HL game or even the major 2.5D shooters.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

What's different in the devbuild? I booted it up in regular Quakespasm for a couple minutes last night and got an error on startup, but the menu and game worked fine apart from that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Has anybody else playing Arcane Dimensions managed to find all the tomes on ad_swampy? I want to love the map, poo poo's huge and really impressive but god drat is that an obnoxious prop hunt

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Convex posted:

I should point out that the Gog release fixes these issues and makes the menus and cutscenes work in full screen. It also includes the soundtrack which was ridiculously omitted from the Steam version.

Seriously, please pick up the Gog versions if you want to experience JK in any way resembling how it was meant to be played. The Steam version is loving terrible and there was literally zero effort made beyond getting the thing to run without crashing straight to desktop.

...JK has a soundtrack?

e: they don't have Mysteries of the Sith on GOG, do they? The Steam release of that is even more broken than base JK and I get all sorts of bizarre color glitches on top of the menu/cutscene issue.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 7, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Counterpoint: Jedi Academy is a bitchin' game.

Way under-rated. That sweet, sweet lightsaber combat.

All the Jedi Knight games have good light saber combat and all have some cool spells, but in very different ways.

JK: zip around at tribes speed, flail wildly at enemies as they pass
JO: much more fluid, combo based with distinct movesets
JA: more movesets, even more combo and acrobatic based

JA multiplayer was kind of fun and lingered on for a while iirc, there was a lot of e-honor bullshit like bowing before duels.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Is anybody else having this problem when running Demonsteele in ZDoom?

Only occurs with heretic.wad, heretic1.wad, hexen.wad and hexdd.wad as far as I can tell. When loading up the game it also has the same kind of color problems. I guess it's some kind of palette screwup (?) but I can't find anything online about how to adjust that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

DemonSteele unfortunately doesn't support non-Doom games. Sorry.
It is a palette screw-up, DemonSteele uses a desaturated and slightly darker color palette reminiscent of 80s animation--since it's based off Doom colors, what's happening is that it's applying to the Heretic/Hexen colors, which...make things look wonky.

Ah, too bad. I'd love to play the Heretic campaign with it, but I can see how it'd be a lot of work to make it compatible. Great mod though, having a blast with it.

Anybody else in the thread played with Sun Shihong at all? How does she work relative to Hae-Lin?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

For better or worse people tend to expect a plot in their Marathons, and it's hard to do much plot beyond "kills aleins" in one map.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm going to have a bitch of a time going to Star Wars Dark Forces. Not having full freelook isn't terrible, but the lack of WASD is gonna be tough. IIRC you can change the controls but by making it WASD you can't enter in any of the cheats since the A key makes you move.

What do you need cheats for? DF is one of the easiest pre-2000 shooters I can think of, DF on Hard is less difficult than Doom 1 on HMP. Invincibility is literally an option you can toggle in the pause menu.

The far worse control crime is that as far as I know, you can't bind alternate attack to any mouse button.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I must be the worst DF player because I play Doom 1, 2, and 64 only on UV and have a pleasant time, but found DF ludicrous on the default skill level :(

Huh. Maybe I'm just bad at Doom (in fact this is very likely) but I have to say there are only a couple of enemy types in DF that are any danger at all. The guys with concussion rifles are huge bastards, dark troopers in both phases are scary fast and have loads of health, and the "hey Kyle gently caress you, have fun fist fighting a couple of lizards the size of a Sherman tank" sequence is rage inducing bullshit unless you learned how to bait attacks and punch back, a skill that is never useful at any other time in the game. But almost everything else in the game is popcorn that you pretty much have to stand there doing nothing to get killed by. In most levels you're more likely to fall to your death than to get killed by anything actually trying to kill you.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It's not like any of the other Marathon games have simpler mapping, it took kid-me days of loving around to even figure out how to exit the first level of Infinity.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

The good thing is that you repeat it 4 times so you have plenty of time to learn it!

Nah, that's the last level, which gave kid-me enough trouble that I'm pretty sure I didn't beat it till I was old enough to vote. Too bad none of the bad end levels are remotely comparable to Aye Mak Sicur in how they play, or it actually would give you a good chance at learning the map, but they're all really cut-down versions of it and none of them has anything worth exploring much for (and iirc one or two of them are vacuum levels) so you basically want to leave as quick as you can manage. The first level is completely unrelated apart from having the Jjaro texture set.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Also, WoolieWool, when you say that Shadow Warrior had bad game design, what exactly do you mean? I agree with you on your other points about it, but I'm curious what parts of it were poorly designed.

Totally unsolicited opinion, but it's hard as balls and not in a good way. Enemies can mostly kill you in a hot second, a lot of it is hitscan damage or running around a corner into a couple of suicide bomb guys who rush you before you know what is happening, and your best weapons are all explosives that ideally you want to be popping out of cover, firing, and popping back into cover, which gives the game something of the feel of Gears of War at Mach 10. There's also some really dumb puzzles.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Can't get this to run at all, gives me an ctd error "Mod_LoadModel: progs/s_plasma.spr not found" when loading any map. There is indeed no such file in ad/progs. Anybody got it to work?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Johnny Law posted:

Did you install the patch over top of the mod? (The patch itself is just some new/added files, it's not the whole mod.)

Yes. The AD download on Quaddicted still works just fine. Patches don't. First patch loads up Q1 default start map, but crashes on trying to load any of the AD maps. Second patch gives me this missing sprite (?) error.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

laserghost posted:

What sourceport are you using? Works flawlessly on qspasm.

Latest version of Quakespasm yeah. Got it to work though, I just had the download unpacking over whole folders by mistake instead of unpacking into each individually. Whoops :rolleye:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm replaying Dark Forces and half the levels end with you having to trudge back to the landing area. Its boring as poo poo and kills the pace - and is exactly the sort of things hyper-linear videogames have moved away from.

A lot of levels you exit without returning to the start, and most of the ones where you do have to return to the start either give you a shortcut to get you back there or are quite small. In fact the only level I can think of where you actually must backtrack for any considerable length of time just to leave is Coruscant. DF is supposed to have a pretty sedate pace for a retro shooter anyway imo, it's much more about exploring/puzzling than Doom is and winds up feeling a lot closer to the Marathon games in terms of time you spend shooting poo poo vs. running around taking things in.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

dark messiah is pretty great as far as the actual gameplay goes, for sure. the source engine has been put to good use by some outside game devs over the years. i can't get over how boring and awful the protagonist is, though. sounds like they grabbed some random intern from the hall to do voice lines.

Sareth is occasionally really funny with how bland and :geno: he is, it's like the protagonist in Dark Corners of the Earth ("The stench of rotting flesh and death is overpowering :shrug:"). Also I don't know if it was intentional or just a hilariously unsubtle attempt to recapture a subtler game design decision in other games, but the dynamic between him and Xana feels like a hilarious send-up of the dynamic between Master Chief and Cortana, or even between Gordon Freeman and Alyx, where the player is pushed to project their attitudes into a blank slate character and can then be basically instructed/manipulated to accomplish objectives in the game by having a female character talk approvingly about them through their character. Only instead of saying poo poo like "wow great job player you're so smart, gold star!" she's more like "AHAHAHAHA EXCELLENT EXCELLENT, MURDER THEM ALL FEAST ON THEIR FLESH AND gently caress ME IN HELL FOREVER". It's pretty refreshing and Sareth's total lack of affect plays off her pretty well, it may be one of the hammiest performances in the history of FPS.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 9, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

EYE: Divine Cybermancy, for fucksake.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think I have ever seen a crash or significant glitch in DF with Dosbox. Unless you count Boba Fett running into walls, but he just does that because he's an idiot. Dark Troopers have a habit of doing that too, it's just that the player is probably too busy making GBS threads their pants to notice.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Blood wins a lot of points just for the awesome weapons. You're in good hands when a flare gun is your basic pistol.

I love Dark Forces, but the weapon variety is a bit iffy. Outside of the occasional long range weapon, the stormtrooper rifle is your bread and butter. Although the thermal detonators are a lot of fun.

The trooper rifle is good to start, but quickly gets overshadowed by the repeater which is basically just better in every way except occasionally ammo frequency. Also the fusion gun sucks and I'm glad they replaced it with the bowcaster in every subsequent game: even though the functionality is pretty similar, it feels way better and hits way harder. Then you get into the back half of the game and they start to throw ammo for the conc rifle, mortar, and plasma cannon at you, around the same time as the trooper rifle becomes inadequate due to enemy numbers and motherfucking trandoshans. Jedi Knight has a better arsenal than DF by far, though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Blackfyre posted:

Vanilla Doom's gunplay has aged better than Quakes in my eyes. BD is great but I think a Brutal Quake would be really awesome. Might be too much work though.

I need a Quakensteele in my life

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

Speaking of true to era poo poo, maybe you guys can help me. A few years ago on another forum i no longer visit, i saw a guy posting Quake shots where he used some kind of renderer that made the game look like the perfect mess it did back 1996, complete with it's old dos colour and pixel nightmares and i can't for the life of me remember the name of it. It was like a software renderer but i'm having trouble describing it, i wanna say 8bit but that's dumb it's not 8bit. Anyone know what i'm talking about?

qbism Super8

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

I never got why Jedi Outcast was so praised and Jedi Academy is like this barely remembered turd.

Jedi Academy is all jedi all the time, refines the original's combat, and is literally wall-to-wall fan service.

JA is in many ways a logical evolution from JO, it's streamlined a lot of what the previous games were about but not always in very impressive fashion. The shooter element of the series is all but stripped out and the game is entirely about saber and force. However despite the new moves and styles they added for JA, the flow of saber combat itself hasn't really been improved much since JK; in fact that game knew exactly what it was doing by limiting saber duels to a small number of boss fights which they put special effort into making unique, because bread-and-butter saber combat in all the JK games is quite repetitive, seriously goofy looking, and not especially fun by itself. It's a pity because both games do still have good boss fights across the board (well, maybe not Rosh and friends), but between these fights there's long successions of generic saber duels with uninteresting bots. JO is a bit better about mixing them up, there's several long sections of JA by contrast where you have to carve through half a dozen reborn in a row.

JA's mapping is also a lot simpler and less ambitious with fewer puzzles, secrets and side areas than previous games, which contributes to a feeling of being a bit oversimplified. The earlier games maintain a pretty interesting balance between FPS, action, and adventure, whereas JA is much more focused on being an action game with only rare forays into any other sort of play. It's not a bad game and some parts of it are really enjoyable, but it definitely limits the scope of the series rather than building on every aspect of it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

they're both poo poo. dark forces 2: jedi knight & mysteries of the sith is where it's at.

Mysteries is mostly terrible unfortunately. It's JK with no difficulty curve, no plot, and no good bosses. The only unquestionably good thing it brought to the series was the charge attack on the pistol.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Cool, another "old school" FPS that looks like complete dogshit.

To be absolutely fair, there are plenty of actual old school FPS that are beyond dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Eriamjh is a misspelled reference to Terry Gilliam's Brazil