Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Anyone who's using Safari 5.2 Update 2, go check your Developer downloads section for U3.

I wish they'd send out a notification when that's updated.

Wow, update 3 completely changes the developer toolbar.

http://f.cl.ly/items/1e1T2d1U1n3I081A022l/Screen%20Shot%202012-04-30%20at%2011.10.21%20AM.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Don't use the beta?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That YouTube feather thing is pretty neat, might enable that for some older machines I have.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

So do I need to update my development machine from the original golden master to the new, improved goldener master?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Switzerland posted:

I'm currently trying to log in to the Apple discussions forum, but keep getting stuck in a loop at this point:

I can enter anything in the Username field, and it just returns me to the same form, with variants of "username is already taken" or "An account utilizing this email address already exists" error messages.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I ran into something like this with an older AppleID that I wanted to start using again that was never transitioned from a username/password to an email/password. Might be something similar. I had to actually call Apple support to fix it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Honestly, I'd rather put the tip of a needle into my urethra than rely on bluestacks for anything important.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Or you could roll your own Fusion drive by buying the dual drive kit for that Mac Mini from iFixit, put in an SSD and a platter, and enjoy the extra space AND capacity.

Sounds like a good way to spend a weekend! :thumbsup:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mavericks will work fine on that machine.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

jackpot posted:

There's something I'm doing when I'm using just my laptop (no external mouse), where if I'm in a browser and I swipe with two fingers, it's the same as hitting the back button. I'm struggling to think of any loving scenario where I'd actually want this to happen, especially since it always seems to happen when I'm 2/3 of the way through filling out a form.

Anyway, how do I turn this poo poo off? I can't find it in my mouse options.

I use a browser too. I think it's a great browser. Anyone else use a browser?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

jackpot posted:

Did I hurt your feelings?

No, but I just don't get all of the flak that a browser gets from almost everyone. I've been using a browser since 2006 (well, I did switch to another browser for about two weeks a couple years ago, but had to go back since it didn't meet my expectations) and I've never had any issues with it.

You came to this thread asking for help with a browser and since you were so specific in mentioning this particular browser, I thought I'd just throw my hat into the ring and try to figure out why you singled it out. The two finger swipe was clearly a Mac OS-thing and didn't have anything to do with a browser.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TACD posted:

Are you honestly flipping out because he said 'a browser' instead of 'Apple Safari® 7.0.3' in a completely normal context while asking a completely reasonable question?

I don't see anything in my post indicating that I was "flipping out" about anything. And yeah, I've used Safari and yeah, it's okay, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Ever since they added a feature in 2012 and stopped developing the Windows version, I've not been a fan.

I'm just an old gent, stuck in my ways I guess!

Anyone still use iCab?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Eh I'm being a shitheel, don't worry about it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

I like the two finger swipe gesture so much that I won't use the Chrome because it doesn't have the fancy animations like Safari and Firefox.

I find that Chrome's version of the two finger swipe is also much more accident-prone as jackpot mentioned.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Well for one, iTunes 11 tries to do poo poo when I open iTunes 10 so it throws an error that does more or less nothing but express its dissatisfaction about "why did you open this instead of iTunes 11?", but it's really annoying to get that every time you open it. When I open music files from the desktop, it automatically goes to 11, and the Quick Look preview also sometimes has a bit of a tantrum about how I haven't set up iTunes 11 correctly.

My needs include "shouldn't look like a cheap billboard ad," which iTunes 11 just does, so unless people make skins for this kinda thing (and it looks like they do, but most of them seem to be made by bronies, so I guess you could say "no pony poo poo" is an unfortunately necessary addendum to my billboard rule), that's unfortunately not an option.

Still, I'm quite fine with jumping through hoops if it'll keep poo poo like that out of my hair. I'm still using the final version of Skype 2 because it was the last Mac build before the malwarey changes they made in versions 5 and later, and that'll probably keep working until they make a jump comparable to going from OS Classic to OSX.

You should probably start taking your medicine again. It'll probably stop the real billboards from talking to you as well.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

what

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pan Ache posted:

I've been tasked with recovering old Mac Word 1.x-5.x docs pretty sure they're mac 5. I currently have an old laptop running 2004 that people have been using for garbage web browsing. 2004 will successfully open and convert the files with minimal loss of formatting but do I need to worry that these files will pose a security risk to a desktop running mavericks 10.9.2 or word 2011?

Security risk? Like a risk to our national security? I guess it just depends on the documents...

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Got a fairly simple OSX apps question - I am fairly new to OSX and Apple computers. Used them a little in school, got a Mac Mini a few months ago, and haven't looked back since. It's a fantastic little computer and a great OS.

Anyhow - I know on iOS I can install an application I buy on multiple iOS devices that are linked to my apple account.

On OSX, if I have the same account linked to both a Mac Mini, and, say, a MacBook Pro, do I need to purchase applications twice, or can I run the same purchased app on both computers?

EDIT: Looks like I can, up to like five computers.

I think it's actually an unlimited number of computers.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thauros posted:

I know this is stupid, but I admit I'm still on Mavericks simply because I don't care for the look of the new UI. It's not like I'm blindly against change either, I liked IOS 7 from the outset. The "flat" look just doesn't work as well on a desktop OS IMO.

How customizable is the theme currently? I found guides to get a Yosemite look on Mavericks but not the other way around. I'll probably use the dark theme when I do inevitably switch since I at least like that one better.

If you enable "Reduce Transparency" in System Preferences > Accessibility > Display, you sort of get that metal-looking window color back.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lexicon posted:

I was led to believe that in Yosemite & iOS 8, it's possible to use a different cloud storage provider other than iCloud as the syncing backing store for iWork documents. I can't for the life of me work out how to set this up, despite copious Googling to that effect. Is it not the case?

No.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

Yes. On iOS 8 you do this via share extensions (the Dropbox app has it already; don't ask me details, I don't use it) and on Yosemite you do it the same way you always did because there's never been the file management restrictions iOS has...

If this requires you to share/export the document to Dropbox every time you modify it then no, it's not really replacing iCloud as the "syncing backing store for iWork documents." It's close, but you're still just exporting the document back and forth between Dropbox and iWork, making duplicates each time. Not really "syncing" anything.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. Just got a pre-release 10.10.1 seed update in the App Store. Is there a way to opt out of pre-release software? I'm guessing this is because I ran either the PB at one point, or the GM. I'm running 14A389 now FWIW.

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/unenroll

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

flavor posted:

You sound like a lost cause, but just for the record:

1. Outside of maybe the first two weeks after its release or so, it's never been smart to run Windows 7 instead of 8/8.1. Desktop applications work as before and the only feature I'm using from the "tile world" is the shutdown/reboot.
2. You don't need to reinstall, you can upgrade.
3. It's not like Windows 8.1 came out last week. You're not going to need tech support unless you're running some weird applications or peripherals that only run on Windows 7.

I don't particularly like MS and Windows, but sometimes I pity MS for the attitudes they have to deal with.

The biggest drawback for installing Win 8/8.1 over Win 7 on my Bootcamp partition has been the fact that Win 8/8.1 is a greasy pile of poo poo. That's my only holdup.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Look, we can beat around the bush and list off our favorite hacks that make Windows 8 usable, but come on. You all know deep down that those hacks exist because Windows 8 sucks. I've heard nothing but horror stories from family, friends, "IT folk", about it.

If you like to drink piss but dye it a different color via hacks, that's fine, but don't pretend you're drinking pink lemonade, just admit you love piss.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

According to MS I'd have to pay $120 to "upgrade" to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7. Are you making GBS threads me? I'd rather not spend that money on enabling Some Tiled Thing by Microsoft. Seems like I could pay to get tortured in much more creative ways. ;)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

"Win 8.1 is just fine guys. No I would not buy it though, why do you ask?"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jury's still out on Win 10, though. From what I've seen it's in a very early alpha stage with placeholder icons and stuff. Has anyone tried using it with Bootcamp?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

How does the photo library handle stuff that is located on removable drives?

Here's the basic situation: I have a poo poo ton of personal photos that just stay on my computer. No biggie, I really don't give a poo poo about how those are organized behind the scenes as long s I can find what I want when I want.

On the other hand I also have something like 200gb of photos of old documents. Most of them have long since been stitched into .pdfs and I've got my own, separate way of organizing those, but I keep the originals around on a few external HDs* just because a lot of time and money went into generating them all plus once in a blue moon I'll need the original high-res photo of one particular page for this reason or that.

Up until now I've simply kept them sequestered from my other photos and just search the drives by the file name on the rare occasions I need to refer back to them. But, if the new app plays nice with removable media I also wouldn't mind indexing them and just keeping them as a separate album or whatever the reasonable in-app division would be.

*before someone gives me a lecture about media backup it's two identical drives, one of which is stored with some other crap I can't fit into my current living situation. It's a temporary solution to a temporary situation

I personally wouldn't want a bunch of scans of old documents sprinkled in with photos of my loved ones. I imagine that's what would happen if you were to view photos in the timeline/moments view.

There's probably a better, separate app for managing and storing document scans on Dropbox, iCloud Drive, or whatever.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aperture is dead.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pivo posted:

Dying! But it still starts up when I ask it to.

It's not being updated anymore. It's "dead"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

What an odd question. I don't even know any devs that run Windows anymore.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Safari has started doing this thing where it'll freeze up on pages after it starts loading them and locking up the tab, sometimes the browser. It's happened a lot on github documentation pages and google and youtube search, and less often on other sites like Facebook and here.

I haven't really made any changes lately. I'm up to date except for the 10.10.3 supplemental update. I'll probably run the update tonight but does anyone know what might cause this?

I updated to the public beta of 10.10.4 and Safari seems snappier :shrug:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

People who like watching Netflix and saving battery power on their Mac should never use anything other than Safari. Less than 6% CPU while I'm playing an HD movie, and that's on a 13-inch Late 2013 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.10.3.

Yeah, plus watching stuff in Safari is the only way to see most full HD content In the higher bitrates Netflix provides. I think anyway. Breaking Bad never plays in HD on Chrome for me.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

2010... Running 10.9? So not modern I fear.

It's weird because it seems to brick Safari and my connection until I quit the app. Yet chrome is flawless, I think silverlight is to blame as the Internet suggests Chrome doesn't use silverlight.

Does Netflix even support the Mac/Silverlight combo anymore?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

enMTW posted:

All Macs with Sandy Bridge processors or older use it for Netflix in Safari. In newer Macs, there is a new EFI call that returns mystery data and is used for DRM - iTunes Movies and HTML 5 DRM in Safari. Older Macs don't have that in the EFI, so they still have to use Silverlight.

Chrome does its own HTML5 DRM thing, so I would just use Chrome to watch Netflix personally.

The really weird part is that I think Sandy Bridge Macs support HTML5 Netflix despite not supporting the EFI thing.

Chrome doesn't play Netflix in full HD on a Mac (in the US) in my experience though. It maxes out at like 3000kbps and not the higher 5800kbps bitrates that Netflix provides for some shows.

Edit: oh you meant on older machines. Yeah that probably is easier than dealing with Silverlight, which is dead.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 12, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay, last time trying this. I have a MacBook Pro:"Core i5" 2.4 13" Late 2011 2.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-2435M) Model A1278 (EMC 2555*)

It came to me, not wanting to run. I have yet been able to make it run. I thought it was an overheating issue as it would run for a bit then stop, but the mouse would work. Did all the normal stuff (regreased, clean, blah blah blah), it's not a heating issue. The odd thing that was happening before was that it would go to the disk utilities screen, I would click on the reinstall Lion part, and it would start the process, go back to disk utilities and then just stop responding. Sometimes the mouse would move, sometimes it wouldn't. Here are the things I've tried:

Tested RAM: Fine.
Tested HDD: Starting to go bad, but not completely shot (I have since used another HDD).
Tried the SMC recovery (twice).

At this point, I'm sitting here with a blank hard drive, formatted to hfs(c?)+. I tried the USB stick (this one), and a burnt CD and both do the same thing. They start the recovery process, then after a few minutes, it just goes to the disk utility and says to retry the installation.

I'm going to try the internet recovery one last time, unless someone else has an idea?

Was the CD/DVD burnt from the image provided on the stick? If the image was hosed on the disc, it could be hosed everywhere else too.

Also, maybe try installing Linux or something cuz that might have better error reporting to help point you in the right direction. If you experience mouse freezes on another OS, I'd probably be looking at the processor.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Xabi posted:

Regarding remote desktop apps: What's the easiest way for me to download stuff to a Mac at work, while at home? Any one of those mentioned above, or are they mainly for more advanced stuff? If I can log on to my work Mac with a an ipad/iphone it's a plus, but not a must.

I think TeamViewer has file sharing

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kuskus posted:

Delete the non-OS volume, then extend the primary's into free space just with Disk Utility. Should work! I used to do this occasionally when I flip-flopped between wanting native bootcamp or VM.

I think deleting the non-OS volume would probably delete their data on that volume too...

There's not really an easy way to do this without storing the data somewhere else temporarily and moving it back after extending the primary partition

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Updated ten or so workstations manually and no issues updating to 10.10.4

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

And then they got sued by a patent troll with networking patents, and lost. As a result they had to alter the system from a peer-to-peer model to passing everything through their servers, resulting in $2-3 million per month in bandwidth costs. They're not gonna let non-customers use it as long as they have to pay for it.

FaceTime did work a lot better when it was peer-to-peer :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Djarum posted:

Anyone else having weird issues with Safari and the newest El Capitan beta?

I am having web pages just randomly not wanting to load and Safari hanging up. This isn't even fancy pages, I have had it happen with the forums here. It started this afternoon as soon as I installed the update.

El Capitan is still in beta, so that might be why some of you are experiencing issues.