Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Gay Retard posted:

Sure, Apple went a little overboard on the privacy settings in Catalina, but there's no way they're going to lock people out of running other OSes. Apple's improved video encoding and faster SSD speeds make the T2 and SSD controller worth it.

Maybe I am misinformed then, is it possible to boot Linux off the internal, T2 controlled SSD these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Do we know the exact specs/names of those CPU yet? How does their GPU compare to a current 13" MBP, for example?

I am tempted to order one but the idea of a 14" with a dedicated GPU makes me want to wait, though it seems unlikely.

eames
May 9, 2009

Do we have any benchmarks of the new MBA yet?
I'm mostly curious how the GPU compares to the MBP, then again it's a -Y CPU with 4.5W TDP, so I'm not sure why I'm getting my expectations up.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah those Air benchmarks are super impressive, single core in particular. I might buy one for these for traveling (though it remains to be seen how much traveling I’ll do in the foreseeable future...), perhaps even with just 8GB because the 4GB RAM in my old Air never felt all that cramped for what I’m using it for.

eames
May 9, 2009

I do feel like the quadcores might be a bit warmer than what the semi-passive chassis/thermal design was originally designed for.
A simple heatpipe with fins like the older MBAs had it would probably improve sustained performance significantly, but if you‘re loading a MBA to the power/thermal limits for extended periods of time, you bought the wrong tool for the job and that’s neither Apple‘s nor Intel‘s fault. :shrug:

eames
May 9, 2009

Ifixit posted their 2020 MacBook Air teardown with a nice gif that shows that the extra 0,5mm thickness come from the new keyboard.

https://www.ifixit.com/News/36480/theres-something-new-in-the-macbook-air

I don’t want to blame any one person for the last few years of design compromises but at this point I find it hard to ignore the fact that MacBooks (16“ and MBA) are improving steadily since Ive left.

eames
May 9, 2009

it looks like first gen retina MBAs also suffer from anti-reflective coating defect.

I wonder if the recently released, newer gen devices still have that problem because there’s no easy fix or alternative coating for it. I pay extra attention to keep my old 15“ screen free of fingerprints and haven’t had issues yet.

eames
May 9, 2009

mediaphage posted:

I'm not gonna watch yet another tech youtuber give his opinion on a laptop, just say what the problem supposedly is

I watched the last 30% so you don't have to!

The CPUs are thermally constrained, so the performance of the more expensive quadcore does not differ much from the dualcore under sustained load.

I would argue that the two extra cores are still useful for many workloads (i.e. photo editing, perhaps light compiling and VM use) but if you're buying any Macbook Air for its sustained CPU performance you are likely looking at the wrong tool for the job. All of this was discussed ITT a few pages back.

eames
May 9, 2009

I was going to write a rant about these trash tier, zero research clickbait youtube videos but it's not worth it.
Yes, as you pointed out playing a webm/VP9 4K video in Google Chrome with software decoding on a ultra protable laptop will likely spin the fans up. That's ok and so is 100°C CPU temperature according to Intel's spec.
I understand your concern if you trust these videos. Hopefuly the owner of a new MBA will be able to tell us their experience with the thermals.

eames
May 9, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think people are pissed because there’s a sense that the computer could be better if Apple improved it (and possibly made it more expensive, but probably not by much), and that maybe Apple deliberately gimped it to keep the older MBP on top because the 14” model isn’t ready yet.

I mean the benchmarks of a hypothetical ARM CPU would also look better next to a thermally constrained ICL CPU, instead of one that’s actively cooled and turbo boosting to its full frequency potential all the time. :tinfoil:

eames
May 9, 2009

It does look increasingly likely (link requires translation) that the 14" is getting Icy Lake CPUs instead of Comet Lake.

So from what I understand a potential base 14" quadcore ICL-U CPU would be very similar to the quadcore in the Air (i5-1035G7 vs i5-1030NG7), which could mean that the active cooling/higher TDP-up limit is really going to be one of the main differentiating factors in CPU performance.
Apple must be getting these chips really, really cheap at this point with pressure from both their in-house team and AMD.

eames
May 9, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

Dunno how much stock I'd put into this given that Apple just used custom variants of most of the CPUs on this list for the 2020 MBA.

We'll see, I feel like a 14" with Comet Lake and the old iGPU would be somewhat disappointing compared to what might be possible with a "larger" ICL chip and decent cooling.

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't know why but my 2012 MBP 15" non-retina with its original battery can last months while sleeping. None of my other MacBooks can do that but I don't have a comprehensive sample set of MacBooks.

Your old MBP is likely not sleeping but hibernating (memory is written to persistent storage and powered off).
Modern Macs can (and under certain conditions will) do this too but the default options are optimized for fast wake-up times rather than better battery life.
If you care about this you can tweak the behavior of newer machines to your liking. "man pmset" will point you in the right direction, you can even adjust the thresholds at which a machine should switch from sleep to safe sleep/hibernate.

I did this to a few of my older machines that I rarely use anymore, that way accidentally closing the lid without a shutdown won't run down the battery and potentially damage it if it gets put away for weeks/months at a very low state of charge.

eames fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 15, 2020

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh interesting. So a closed lid MBP can still go from sleep to hibernate after some timer has elapsed?

Yes, as far as I know all of them do that by default to prevent data loss and damage to the battery once the state of charge crosses a certain threshold.

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Hmm must be a low threshold I recalled opening the lid on my MBP and seeing 80% battery left after months of storage.

I imagine that newer hardware is so optimized and power efficient that battery drain during sleep is no longer a concern. My 2015 MBP will definitely hibernate after a while. If pmset is correct then the default hibernation mode (3) writes data to persistent storage under certain conditions but keeps the RAM powered on.

man pmset posted:

standby causes kernel power management to automatically hibernate a machine after it has slept for a specified time period. This saves power while asleep. This setting defaults to ON for supported hardware. The setting standby will be visible in pmset -g if the feature is supported on this machine.

standbydelayhigh and standbydelaylow specify the delay, in seconds, before writing the hibernation image to disk and powering off memory for Standby. standbydelayhigh is used when the remaining battery capacity is above highstandbythreshold , and standbydelaylow is used when the remaining battery
capacity is below highstandbythreshold.

highstandbythreshold has a default value of 50 percent.

and

man pmset posted:

hibernatemode supports values of 0, 3, or 25. Whether or not a hibernation image gets written is also dependent on the values of standby and autopoweroff

For example, on desktops that support standby a hibernation image will be written after the specified standbydelay time. To disable hibernation images completely, ensure hibernatemode standby and autopoweroff are all set to 0.

hibernatemode = 0 by default on desktops. The system will not back memory up to persistent storage.
The system must wake from the contents of memory; the system will lose context on power loss. This is, historically, plain old sleep.

hibernatemode = 3 by default on portables. The system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and will power memory during sleep.
The system will wake from memory, unless a power loss forces it to restore from hibernate image.

hibernatemode = 25 is only settable via pmset. The system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and will remove power to memory. The system will restore from disk image. If you want "hibernation" - slower sleeps, slower wakes, and better battery life, you should use this setting.

Anecdotally I played around with hibernatemode 25 on my older machines but got worried that it would wear out the SSDs from writing the whole RAM to disk after every sleep. I don't remember the exact numbers but the average hibernate wrote less than 1GB to the disk because of differential compression. (checked by reading the TBW counter of the SSD after n sleeps)

eames
May 9, 2009

There's a twitter account that claims that Apple will launch a "new computer" in May. The codename is close to the new 13" MBA, so I have high hopes that the 13/14" MBP refresh is coming next month. He got a lot of information regarding the iPhone 9 and iPad refresh right before they were released.

eames
May 9, 2009

there’s an article making the rounds right now that describes how charging 15“ MBPs via the left side ports may cause high CPU load from (software-)throttling.

quote:

Ergo, high CPU usage by kernel_task is caused by high Thunderbolt Left Proximity temperature, which is caused by charging and having normal peripherals plugged in at the same time.
https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/363933

One possible explanation I’ve read is that the T2 chip/SSD controller is on the right hand side and the throttling may be there to keep its temperatures in check. Charging from the other side lets the right sensor exceed 100 Celsius.

eames
May 9, 2009

~Coxy posted:

The article is a bit unscientific. CPU temps as logged are not particularly high...
Would have been nice to log CPU power and multi.
It's possible it's actually the VRM temps, and they happen to be close to whatever charging circuitry. But then that doesn't really align with the right hand side ports workaround.

Did we read the same article? The hypothesis is that kernel_task forces idleness as a precaution when the Thunderbolt Left Proximity temperature sensor exceeds a certain threshold. CPU temperatures, -power or -multiplicator have nothing to do with this.

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh I know this guys face. I have a 2009 MBP17 with the top end T9900 CPU but its kinda meh in Catalina. Max mem is only 8GB on it as well. If they had a Core2 quad in a MBP I would be all over that.

I can imagine that Catalina won't run great but wonder if these are any good for Linux. I have a 17" with a T7700 somewhere, but I'm not sure if it is fast enough for current Linux distributions. Most cheap chromebooks would probably be faster at this point. That matte 17" screen though... :allears:

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Hypothetically speaking, if an older 2013 MBP thermal compound was going bad and I replaced it with new 'enthusiast' paste, how could I measure the difference? Idle temp delta? Load temp delta (but what if both before and after hit tjmax)?

CPU frequency in Intel Power Gadget. As you mentioned they’ll both hit 100 Celsius under a sustained full load, but the one with the better TIM will turbo boost much higher while the one with the old TIM might not even be able to hold base clock.

I would be hesitant to run Prime95 on a mobile Mac, a simple video encoding task should be enough.

eames
May 9, 2009

Are the two cheaper SKUs still using 14nm silicon? This release makes the new MBA more attractive as a portable machine to me, unless the CPU and GPU benchmarks are somehow off the charts.

eames
May 9, 2009

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's exceptionally weird and discordant how I can spec out a 2020 MBA with double the storage and a much newer i5 processor than a "new" 2020 13" Pro at the same $1299 price point. Yeah, I know it's apples and oranges since the 13" MBP still has faster, higher TDP chips and potentially other improvements like battery life, but still feels bizarre for the base models to be offering 3 year old hardware. Like, uh, this is what people waited nearly a year for?

The new MBPs would've made more sense with a 14" display update across the whole lineup, but as it is the entry level 13" just has me wondering what exactly went wrong there. :psyduck:

I wonder if these are supposed to be machines for the edu market that are there in case the 10nm parts run into supply/yield problems. Kind of the equivalent of the 5400rpm HDD iMacs.

eames
May 9, 2009

Dave Lee offers a different perspective on the 8th vs 10th gen 13" MBP discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hSOuK7qBgM

Maybe he has a point, but I suspect he's testing 28W 8th gen vs 28W 10th gen rather than the (rumored) new 15W/28W lineup.

eames
May 9, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Noooooo. Don’t ever ever ever ever tell anyone that “the base model Air is fine”

“It’s got a dual-core in 2020, but you can bump up to a quad for $100 more....but it’s probably not worth it for you”.

loving dummkopf move right there champ

It’s not obvious to me why the quadcore is that much better than the dualcore in the case of the new MBA.
Singlecore performance is almost identical and any sustained multicore load is going to be limited by either power or temperature, so the clear advantage will be in workloads that use all cores in short bursts and don’t trigger the turbo power limit. These seem relatively rare to me.

Reviewers like Dave Lee state that there is no subjective, noticeable difference between the two models in normal use (Web browsing, light photo editing, etc).

Don’t get me wrong, I’d definitely spend the $100 but I don’t think that recommending the base model is dumb.

eames
May 9, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Once you start adding storage and RAM to the lower-tier MBP you’re better off jumping to the $1800 model IMO, if you can afford it. Enough QoL additions to make the extra $200 worth it.

And once you start adding upgrades to the $1800 and get it above like $2400 the 16” immediately starts to become a much better value proposition again.

This kind of upselling is of course meticulously thought out to work across the whole product stack.

If I start to spec out a simple base MBA but I want 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD, I might as well buy the 13" MBP for the better cooling and screen. At that point, with that spec, the 16" with a larger screen, dGPU and better audio isn't much extra. Since I want 16GB/1TB anyway, the eight core CPU model with a better dGPU doesn't cost much more ... you get the idea.

eames
May 9, 2009

because it is mobile, saves you $700 for the wheels

eames
May 9, 2009

I'd just keep the Air and pay for one of the game streaming services.

Ok Comboomer posted:

You’re gonna be trading that in for an $1800 model, mark my words

Last time I checked reviews even the new Ice Lake iGPU barely seems to break double digit FPS in the old unigine benchmark, most of the optimizations appear to be focused on compute (like video rendering and geekbench synthetics). Happy to stand corrected if anybody can find a good review.

eames fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 14, 2020

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Is the 7W processor on the 2020 throttling itself to the point it's actually running slower on average than an older Air?

It wouldn't surprise me. These devices just aren't built for high combined CPU and GPU load.
For example my old 2013 15" MBP ran some taxing 3D games faster with the GT750m dGPU disabled, simply because the heat output of the GPU under full load made the CPU thermal throttle below baseclock, to the point where it became the framerate bottleneck. It took them until the 16" to address these issues.

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Hoo-kay, it's not the new Airport, but it is interesting..

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/05/15/apple-files-regulatory-docs-for-mysterious-internal-network-adapter

Definitely not speedy considering it's only 1 GHz bandwidth..

There’s a leaker with a quite solid track record that insists that iPhones will lose all ports in favor of going completely wireless over the next years. This would also let Apple bypass the EU USB-C regulations (wireless charger+adapter is technically not a cable). He claims the U1 UWB is the first step in that direction, maybe this is related?

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, notebookcheck.net says that when stressing the i5 CPU and GPU on the 2020 Air simultaneously, effective throughput clocks down to a ridiculous 400 MHz. [...]

I just read the review and they straight up recommend the dualcore over the quadcore, because it runs cooler/quieter and singlecore/everyday performance identical.
GPU and multicore performance are both so limited by power/thermal limits the they don’t think it is worth it — their conclusion is get the dualcore for internet browsing or buy a MBP.

eames fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 15, 2020

eames
May 9, 2009

I don’t think this is such a big deal. They likely designed this ultraportable expecting power efficiency to increase faster than it did and now the 10nm quadcore refresh is reaching the limits of what the chassis was designed for.

After reading the notebookcheck review and data I’d lean towards the dualcore version.* The tradeoff is 30-40% in sustained multicore performance and 0% in singlecore performance for higher temperatures and more fan noise.
According to the review that’s not just from higher fan rpm but also a different fan curve. The dualcore is quieter than the 2019 version they tested.

So here we are, the long rumored ARM Mac will go up against the quadcore MBA that’s now being labeled as the „loud and hot but the best choice“ in mainstream/YouTube reviews.

* my only concern would be Hyperthreading; if it ever gets permanently disabled due to security issues, the dualcore may struggle with basic multitasking.

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Imagine getting a 20-30% performance boost from just 1mm of extra thicc. Or XPS style vapor chamber. But nah, apple target demographic would notice the thickness more than the performance.

Bring back 2008 thickness. Call it a Pro S Max. Change $5999 for it.

17“ 18“ MacBook Pro please :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I would hope that they are sandbagging with today's demos and the A12Z DTK to release some unheard of 16-core monster SoC in a MBA form factor later this year.

It's going to take a very significant performance increase over x86 hardware to get me to switch away from Mojave into a potentially even more locked down platform, though I admit that I haven't heard anything in this direction today.
Are apps outside the app store still going to be a thing? Do we know what's going to happen to the package managers like brew and macports?
With all the iOS-ification going on it wouldn't surprise me to see those go away and Apple will point at Virtualization as the replacement. This might turn out ok (see WSL2) or a total nightmare (see current Docker on macOS).