Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Racist posted:

Wonder if this is tied into that 'any new Mini or Air purchased can restore Lion over the internet' feature.

Has anyone tried Lion on a 2 GB Air yet? I'd highly consider one as it'd be a secondary computer for me, mostly for typing notes and documents on, but if it's a dog even at basic usage that'd be a bummer.
I'm running Lion on my base 13" Air and it runs just fine. It did stutter a little the first time I used Versions but it hasn't since. The animations are all very, very smooth too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ilifin posted:

And yes this is mostly because the browser is so extremely slow and for some reason demands to spin up my USB drives (which are only used for Time Machine) every single time I open a tab. This spinup takes a minute and locks up Finder and some other things while doing it, so you can imagine how annoying it is.
The latest version of Safari is as fast as Chrome is as far as I can tell.

As for the USB spinup, I have no idea. Maybe you have an extension or .simbl addon installed? It certainly doesn't happen on my Mac.

I used to use Chrome but switched to Safari when Lion came out, mostly because of fullscreen mode but also because I missed Reader (the Chrome extension looked good but took too long).

IUG posted:

So my CEO has the newest MacBook Pro, and has been using it with an external monitor at work. Before Lion he was using it with the screen slightly ajar, but with the Macbook's screen turned off. With Lion it insists on waking up the Macbook's monitor at the slightest hint of an angle.

The whole reason why he does this is because he's afraid of the computer having a heat stroke and dying. Some people at the Mac Store told him to do this, and it would be a "bad idea" to run the computer with the screen closed entirely.

Is this true? If it's not, is there some kind of official Apple document I can show him that shows them making the statement?
Boom. It doesn't say it won't harm your computer, but then again I don't think Apple (or any manufacturer) would recommend doing something that harms your computer.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 22, 2011

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Residency Evil posted:

Those of you with MBAs, what are you doing for storage? I'm getting the 128gb model, and although that's going to be plenty, I'm wondering if this might not be the time to figure out a better way to store my media/files. I have my personal documents on dropbox, but I'm kind of playing loose with my mp3s. I only have about 15 gigs or so, but I don't have a backup at the moment. Thinking about getting an external USB drive, but those are such a pain with laptops.
I had the same problem… only my iTunes library was 60GB large. I ended and getting myself a subscription to Rdio.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You should run a VM of Lion inside a VM of Windows 7 Inside a VM of Ubuntu.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I got one of those $99 TouchPads and I've barely touched my 2010 MacBook Air in a week. Is it crazy that I'm considering ebaying the MBA and buying a 2011 Mac Mini? From what I can tell the base level Mini can handle Source games just fine and the fact that its got thunderbolt means that I'll theoretically be able to plug in a real graphics card down the line.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

japtor posted:

Just keep in mind a Thunderbolt box will cost quite a bit. I think the ViDock guy threw out $300 as a possible price (vs $200 for their current/soon to be last generation model), and on top of whatever the box is you'd need to pay for the card itself. You might as well spend the extra $200 for the better GPU now (or wait for refurb to save some money) if you're going to be gaming. Still not a great GPU but should hold off thoughts of upgrading longer at least.
I'm actually thinking that I may just be better off getting a Windows desktop... I will mostly be using it for gaming, after all.

It just feels so... wrong, somehow. :ohdear:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've put my base model 2010 MacBook Air up for sale in SAMart.

It pains me to do it but I simply don't need a notebook anymore.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I bought a new base level MacBook Pro last night. I immediately upgraded it to Yosemite, and it's working and looking great (though the switch to Helvetic Neue and the transparancies make it look very close to Linux Mint's default theme, which is... interesting).

When I use a laptop on my desk, I like to use a mouse. I was using a Microsoft Sculpt Comfort mouse with my old laptop; it works pretty well with OS X, but there's a side button/gesture area that I was hoping to use with Mission Control and Spaces. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't support the mouse on OS X.

So I went into storage and dug out my old wired Apple Mouse--the one with the scroll ball and squeeze gesture (hey, I really want to be able to use Mission Control with a mouse!). Unfortunately, when I go into System Preferences, the changes I make don't actually seem to take effect.

Is anyone else still using their old wired Apple Mouse with Yosemite that can confirm that changing the button assignments doesn't work?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hello Spaceman posted:

Get BetterTouchTool and it'll let you assign functions to those buttons on your Microsoft mouse.

No dice, BTT doesn't see the button on the side. On the other hand, I remembered that Hot Corners are a thing and I'm using that now.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hello Spaceman posted:

Oh :(

I only recommended it because that's what I use for my Microsoft mouse.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good suggestion! But it appears that the side button isn't part of typical bluetooth spec and thus computers don't see it unless the right driver is installed (which isn't available for OS X because Microsoft the side button and gestures are really intended to Windows 8 things like swiping between open Modern apps. No big deal though, Hot Corners actually make more sense to me then the mouse button does, especially if I put them down on the bottom where I never mouse otherwise.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Anyone use a rMBP 13 as a main computer? Thinking this 15 is too big, but I might get used to it if the 13 just can't cut it.

I'm using one as my main. Like Martytoof, I've increased the resolution to give myself a bit more breathing room (though I switched to the "More Space" 1680 x 1050 resolution). I've done some very light Photoshop work, edited photos in Lightroom, and did some not-too-demanding gaming (Poker Night At The Inventory, Rocksmith 2014) and haven't had any complaints. It's a fantastic machine.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got a 128GB rMBP and it was a little cramped for space--until I moved TF2 and some other Steam games onto my Time Machine backup drive. Loading times weren't great though, I'm probably upgrade it to a USB 3.0 drive (I'm not sure the cost of a Thunderbolt drive is worth the additional speed). I'm also trying to figure out if moving my photos to an different external drive (and then backing THAT up routinely) is worth the hassle of, well, backing up that drive. Can Time Machine handle that? Will it get all pissy if I list an external drive as something to back up but then only have it plugged in while doing a backup maybe like twice a month?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it was this thread that someone asked about Bootcamping on an external drive? Well, after I tried installing a few Steam games that were "Mac compatible" only to have them give me black screens, I decided to look into that.

Using a Dreamspark-provided Windows Server 2012 .iso, my newly purchased USB 3.0 drive, and these instructions I got a perfect Windows install on an external drive (the Server 2012->more or less Windows 8.1 conversion instructions from here helped with that). Works like a charm, I would never guess that it was running off of an external. It's actually faster and snappier than my previous very-similarly-specced Windows 8 laptop, which is a little strange but I'm okay with it, obviously.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pivo posted:

WoW ran well on my now-deceased mid-2014 15" rMBP with the discrete nvidia card. I did have to run it at half resolution (no loving way it was going to run well at the full retina res) but it looked just fine.

Gonna piggyback off this to note that, under Windows, my 13" 2014 rMBP runs TF2 with most settings set to high at native res at ~40-50 FPS (there's the occasional dip to ~20, but never at a time that's caused an issue), which is pretty damned impressive.

Actually, what's really impressive is that I'm playing a twitchy FPS on a machine that has integrated graphics, is about a half inch thick, and is running both the OS and game off of an external USB drive and getting results roughly on par with the (admittedly inexpensive) full tower gaming PC I had three years ago. That's loving unbelievable to me. Oh and I get a fantastic connection/ping on wireless, something I never would have thought possible (though I'm not sure if that's the result of the wireless card, my kickass new AC router, or both).

Living in the future loving rocks.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spacebump posted:

Does anyone have any idea why a Macbook hard drive would suddenly be full and open up new space when files are deleted? It's my parent's computer and it's disk is full with over 122gb filled that isn't any kind of media. I couldn't find any large files that weren't movies and can't figure it out. This problem started recently.

Did you have a look at their hard drive with Disk Inventory X? On top of giving you a graphical representation of the drive (so you can see big files easily) it'll also color code them by file type. If there's a program on their computer creating junk files of the same type, it'll be fairly obvious and then you can figure out what program is doing it by searching the filenames/locations/etc. Though by the sound of it (since files are auto deleting) it's likely some log file gone horribly wrong.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

fleshweasel posted:

Wow dude. Props for making an 8 year old computer work for you.

I have a 1,1 White MacBook that I keep around because back in high school I made some lovely GarageBand tracks that heavily relied on loops and built in instruments and they won't import into current versions of Garageband because those things are missing. I don't want to lose them forever, therefore my MacBook has a valued place in my closet for those occasions once every couple of years when I want to tool around with old poo poo I did.

(I tried adding the loops and instruments to the current version of GarageBand and while the loops added okay the instruments did not (it would load every single sample one at a time for an instrument every time I launched the project and then ran really really slowly))

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

1st AD posted:

Why don't you just export the rendered audio into a new project, while retaining a track with the notes/velocity preserved (but with a different instrument)?

Because I... uh...

didn't think of that. :eng99:

(thank you)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I have a bit of an odd question and I'm not sure if it can be answered easily.

I'm contemplating canceling Comcast and using my phone as my main internet source. I'm currently a T-Mobile subscriber with an Unlimited 4G plan. Per T-Mobile themselves, they do not limit their unlimited plans UNLESS it's a P2P service, meaning that you can stream as much Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. as you want on your phone/tablet/whatever and they won't throttle. The plan also includes 5GB of computer tethering.

Now, I enjoy watching my Netflix on my big screen TV. From what I can tell, one of the main differences in how an Apple TV works vs. Chromecast, Fire TV stick, etc. is that the content that's streamed to the Apple TV is sourced directly through your phone's internet connection, instead of your phone telling the stick to load content and then use the stick's internet connection to stream.

That said, I know that AirPlay requires a WiFi connection to work... but, if my logic is correct, if I were to tether the Apple TV to my phone's wireless, then open Netflix and AirPlay it to the Apple TV, the stream would still go through my phone's internet connection and it wouldn't count as tethering data. Am I right?

[Edit: Reddit suggests that this works thanks to the new Peer-to-peer AirPlay available with my 6 Plus and the latest revision of the Apple TV, but can anyone confirm that it does?]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 27, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I said come in! posted:

My experience with tethering is that your phone shows up as a wifi hotspot, so any device that requires wifi will work. A question I have for you though is, have you unplugged your router and just used your phone data plan for an entire day or two and see if you actually like it? Are the 4G speeds in your home fast enough for what you want to do? The thing to understand is that 4G is not a consistent speed, it fluctuates wildly from area to area and can be around the same speed as 3G in some cases.

I'm gonna test it for about a month starting today to see (I'm gonna keep Comcast for the time being). I've found that T-Mobile's LTE is very reliable where I live, I pull down ~17 Mbps on average and I have yet to see it drop down to 4G while I'm in my apartment.

I understand why this is a bad idea for several reasons, but I'm pissed as hell at Comcast (the only high speed internet option where I live) and am willing to try pretty much anything to drop their rear end.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whelp, it doesn't work. It appears that, even with the Peer-to-peer AirPlay, the Apple TV itself still needs an active internet connection. My phone just straight up won't connect to it without one (I can see it in the AirPlay menu but it won't connect).

Oh well, guess I'm stuck with Comcast for now.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

smax posted:

Get a wireless router you can set to client mode for your wired devices (including Apple TV), then set it to connect to your phone wifi?

I hadn't considered that--I did try tethering the phone directly to the Apple TV, but that failed. Time to dig out my old router!

Also did you mean bridged or client mode? I gotta be honest, I don't really know the difference between the two.

Nevermind, figured out the difference. One of my routers has it, but I'd rather not interrupt the House of Cards marathon. I'll give it a try tomorrow, though I have a feeling it won't work out in the end. Plus you need to use Asus' program, which is an .exe, to find the router after you change it to client mode (or as Asus calls it, "Media Bridge"). Ugh.

[Edit: Got a step further... I had to update the Apple TV. I'm an idiot. Unfortunately, video's a no go; Netflix crashes, Amazon's an endless spinner, "trailers" in the App Store throw up an "An Error occurred" message. Google Music works real well, though!]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 28, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think that's the plan. I can see Apple killing the Macbook Air line in favor of the next Macbook revision, for which they'll probably have miraculously figured out how to add a second (or even third) USB type C to the laptop, a traditional USB port to the charging block, and put a proper i3 onto the logic board. Coincidentally, that's probably when I'll upgrade to it.

If I was a sales rep or something that needed to fly across the country frequently I'd pack the new Macbook and an Apple TV and look like a bad rear end when I make my pitches. But I'm not.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

appropriatemetaphor posted:

apple tv question. i want to use airplay, but i have a mid 2011 air, does that mean i can't do it? apple's site says 2012 or later.

There are third party apps that work with AirPlay, but depending on your use case you might actually have a better experience air playing files from an iPhone (I have). There's an app I just bought called Infuse that can stream any kind of video to an Apple TV, even in the background.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unless I'm doing something where I want the MOST SCREEN POSSIBLE (Xcode) the option in between is the sweet spot, at least on the 13" rMBP. I imagine it'll be similar on the new MacBook.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I just found something very strange out about my rMBP.

Here's my setup. I have an extension cable running under my couch, which my Macbook and phone are plugged into. My Macbook is sitting in my lap. If I pick up my phone with one hand and move my other hand across the surface of my Macbook, it feels... resonant. If I put the phone down, or unplug my Macbook, the "resonant" feeling goes away.

What's happening? It is something I should be concerned about?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dan Hollis posted:

So are any of you buying this new loving MacBook or not?

Yes, when it gets at least two more USB 3.0 ports, which I'm sure will coincide nicely with my plans to upgrade from my 2014 rMBP a few years from now.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Froist posted:

The relationship is the opposite way round - It's actually exactly 19% fewer total pixels, and exactly 10% smaller in each dimension (an effective resolution of 1152x720 vs 1280x800). It's 36% fewer pixels and 20% smaller in each dimension than the 13" Air.

I don't get why the 13" MBP still has a lower effective resolution than the 13" Air, nearly five years after the new model Air was released. I know the retina screens allow you to turn on scaling, but I've seen far too many reports of that bogging down performance that it's not a reasonable solution.

I'm running my 13" rMBP at 1440x900 and I can't say that I've noticed much of a performance difference.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I have a mid 2014 MBP and while the battery and performance is still fine, I know I’ll probably want to upgrade it with a replacement at some point in the next few years (also the entire time I’ve owned it I’ve struggled with the 128gb storage, since I use Office & Adobe apps).

Currently it looks like if I sell it on eBay I would get ~$600ish, which is pretty good. I’m worried that if I wait another year or two, that will go down to $400ish.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PRADA SLUT posted:

Though, Logic is probably the “standard” music production software nowadays, if there was such a distinction. On the Windows side, I don’t even know what you’d use aside from Ableton. I haven’t heard of anyone using anything from Cakewalk or Propellerhead recently, and it seems like Adobe is pushing more for a simplified commercial option, rather than a full-fledged digital music workstation.

I personally use Studio One (mostly because it was included with my USB Audio Interface) in Windows, and there are still people who swear by Protools. FL Studio is still relatively popular with the EDM and rap scenes.

But yeah, Logic is very much the primary choice for most, and the latest version now includes Melodyne-style pitch shifting and Live-style tempo stretching, so you get all the cool tricks for a relatively inexpensive $199 pricetag.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 14, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I picked up an early 2008 iMac from a Salvation Army earlier today. 500 gig hard drive, 4 gigs of gram, Nvidia graphics. Probably ~3k brand new.

The store employees must have thought it was a monitor (or underestimated Apple hardware longevity) because it was only $25.

A few hours later, I've got a patched version of Mojave on it. Insane.

[Edit: MY loving AIRPODS AUTOMATICALLY CONNECT TO IT, WHAT THE gently caress APPLE. HOW]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuyop posted:

Pairing is through iCloud loving magically.

But... but I'm using a computer that wasn't officially supported past 10.11 because it didn't have the right kind of Bluetooth. THIS ISN'T SUPPOSED TO WORK, APPLE!

If Continuity works too I'm gonna go throw a rock through Tim Cook's window.

[Edit: Continuity does not work, looks like Apple was partially right.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 18, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pzy posted:

Weird question... was that store in Somerville?

Nope, the Hartford, CT area.

And the existing username was the same as a semi-local computer repair store, so I guess the store had it kicking around for a few years without selling it and gave it to the Salvation Army, at which point I got it.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 18, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Merv Burger posted:

Not at all, there's a tool that will download the MacOS installer, put it on a USB drive, and patches it for you.

I have an Early 2009 iMac that runs High Sierra quite nicely.

It can run Mojave, but I just haven't bothered to yet (there are slight graphics issues with pre-Metal GPUs, that basically forces you to use the dark theme, or apply a bunch of patches to improve the light theme.)

Dark mode is pretty awesome and I'd be using it even if I didn't have to, tbh.

There's a slight graphical issue even with dark mode--a black border around programs that, as far as I can tell, is the result of the graphics card not supporting Metal and the Wifi chip doesn't work (not an issue for me because, well, A. it's a desktop that B. sits three feet away from my router).

Clark Nova posted:

Nice. I got an original iMac for like twenty bucks at a thrift store years ago, also probably because they thought it was a monitor. It was too long in the tooth to really be of any use, though
I also have a thrift store G3 iMac and, yeah, it's pretty much useless at this point EXCEPT I can play Spectre Challenger and Super Munchers, which is secretly the real reason I got it. I thought maaaaaybe I could use it to run Final Cut Pro and digitize some ancient DV tapes I have but... no.

It's a nice desk decoration though!

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 20, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lambert posted:

That's pretty dangerous thinking, because components displaying images or video could be vulnerable to attacks. Using an OS that's out of support is a bad idea, better off switching to Windows or Linux.

There are also patches made by DOSDude1 that allow Mojave to be installed on pretty much every older Mac someone could reasonably still be using these days (unless you've got an iMac with AMD graphics). I haven't noticed a significant difference in speed on my early 08 iMac from when it was running El Capitan--and according to other peoples experience if I were to drop in an SSD and use APFS it would actually be faster than it ever was on El Capitan. I'm seriously considering it, though with my luck I would probably break something.

Here's a link to his page explaining the patcher and its compatibility.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man I dunno about a full-sized laptop touchscreen keyboard.

If there was some way that you could still feel the keys, and if they implimented, like, force touch in a way that allowed you to rest your fingers on the "keys" without registering a press then it might be usable.

But it still wouldn't be better than, y'know, a traditional keyboard.

I guess the idea of being able to turn your MacBook on the side, connect a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and have two 15" portrait displays on the go is pretty neat though. You'd look like an even bigger douche than most in the people in the Starbucks, though.

[Edit: oh I just saw the patent and uh how is that worse than I thought it would be?]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had a keyboard overlay for Final Cut Pro ages and ages ago that helped me learn the shortcuts, but it wasn't necessarily better than just having a sheet of paper that had them all listed.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PRADA SLUT posted:

That’s what I was wondering. Batteries life degradation is normal, but is a battery swelling also normal?

Hell loving no

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Badger posted:

You think we'll all run our games on a megahunka laptop locked away in a server vault somewhere and just VNC to them so it doesn't matter if I have a poo poo laptop so long as it has fast HEVC decoding and a good internet connection?

It'd be a virtualized Windows instance on a server farm somewhere, but yeah, more or less. There are services that exist right now that offer a similar thing for $20/mo and if you're feeling inspired you could even roll your own through Amazon AWS for slightly cheaper.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Splinter posted:

Wouldn't the latency be pretty noticeable? Like if you click on something, that needs to be sent to the server, result rendered, sent back to your computer and decoded (plus any additional input or output lag on your computer) before you see a response. Seems like this would be pretty terrible for anything fast paced or player vs player. Even looking around seems like it would require a round trip since the client can't render anything at all.

The other poster asked about how a streaming game solution would work and I explained it. Im not sure how well it works, but I reckon it would be roughly on par (if not better) than playing through PS4 Remote Play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My wife is a freelance editor/writer, and most of her work consists doing research on the web and writing and editing in Microsoft Word. You'd think that she'd be able to use an iPad, but she can't because a lot of the places she does freelance work for use templates and macros in Word, which the iOS app doesn't support (or supports in a limited fashion).

That's kind of the story for a lot of things on the iPad: there are apps and solutions that get you 90% of the way there, but that extra 10% of functionality is missing.

From what I can tell there are jobs and industries that could totally work 100% on an iPad (there's some fantastic screenwriting software, for instance, and an illustrator friend I know recently replaced her Cinteq with a 12" iPad Pro and moved her workflow onto it), but most jobs and industries still need a computer that runs Windows or Mac OS.