Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaz2k21 posted:

I’ve been given a 2008 MacBook by a friend, it seems like it’d be perfect for basic browsing etc so I’m planning on sticking an SSD in there and maybe bringing the ram up to 8gb (may only read 6gb ) the only thing is I’m not sure what to do with the OS, it’s currently on 10.5 which has some compatibility issues, any advice on how I can make it usable???

If you really want to push the machine into the present, you might be able to get Mojave on it with DosDude1's patch tool.

I've got Mojave running on my mid 2008 iMac and it runs surprisingly well, with the physical hard drive being the only obvious bottleneck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spending nearly two years in a product and not releasing even a dumbed-down version of that product is truely brave.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The mouse thing was silly from both sides. Apple, why didn't you just put the charge port on the front, and users, why didn't you understand that charging the mouse was as easy as flipping it over and charging it overnight the day you got the low battery warning?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a new job and my trainer has a MacBook Pro that she specifically asked for, and got, because the company is actually pretty cool and accommodating to employee's wants/needs (plus she's been there for ten years). A lot of the software we use is Windows only, no big deal, she ruins a virtualized Windows instance while training, and macOS for everything else.

However, one reaaaaaaaly old accounting software we use needs the function keys.

"So we're gonna need to use your computer for this part, asecondduck, because *gestures at touchbar* my computer doesn't have an F5 key."

Me, not wanting to seem like a know-it-all rear end in a top hat: "Uhm, hmm. I wonder... what happens when you press that "Fn" key on the bottom left of your keyboard?"

The trainer: *surprised Pikachu face*

Not trying to make fun of her or anything, she's a good person, but maaaaaaaaan, I feel like if you're gonna ask your company to pay for a specific piece of hardware for you you should know/learn how to use it!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I get the appeal of having a MacBook that you can plug a graphics card into and game with, I totally do. Ever since I bootcamped XP onto my first gen MacBook so I could play Portal, eleven years ago (Jesus I'm old) the idea of a Mac that can also game has been a compelling one. And most Macs these days do... ok with gaming. Indies and games a few years old are certainly playable. I played the MacOS port of Arkham City with my Steam controller on my mid 2015 MBP a couple years back--the resolution was pretty low, though setting it to 1/4 the native res didn't look too bad.

Maybe in a few years the eGPU docks will have come down in price and effort enough to maybe be feasible, but honestly right now you're really better off building an ~$800 gaming PC or just buying a console. Heck, $800 would actually get you a PS4 (for those AAA games) and a Switch for the indies and portable gaming goodness.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was moving files from my stepmom's 09' MBP to her 2018 refub MBP and neither had tap-to-click enabled and it was most irritating. #Tap2Click4Lyfe

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm looking forward to Catalina on my 14 MBP solely because of sidecar, being able to use my iPad as an external display natively will be pretty awesome

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Woah everything about that article is terrible.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krispy Wafer posted:

My input device still has a ball. It's just upside down.

This tracks.

kefkafloyd posted:

The rev B hockey puck with the finger line on the button was moderately useable (as opposed to unusable) but the point about Steve being able to admit mistakes was the more important point. Go back and watch old Stevenotes, he has to unload hard facts and truths sometimes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Tim give the same kind of bad news delivery. Apple’s a fundamentally different company I guess but we’ll see what happens when the 16 inch MBPs are announced in January.

I have this mouse for my G3 iMac and.... it's okay. It works. I usually use my Magic Mouse instead.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MarcusSA posted:

I kinda get what you are saying but it’s also like saying that I wish Nintendo would drop the price of the switch because the Tegra chips are cheaper now.

This argument doesn't quite work now because Nintendo just updated the Switch with a new Tegra revision with a smaller die size that's almost certainly more expensive than the previous one :v:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aren't most graphics cards about twice as long as a Mac Mini?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So along with my MacBook Pro, I have an Acer Aspire R7. If you followed tech news at the time, you might remember it--it's the laptop that had a strange hinge that allowed the screen to be moved forward to float over the base, covering up the trackpad (which was moved to behind the keyboard) in the process. Here's a picture:

The screen could also be rotated around and placed nearly flat on the base, to be used for drawing with a stylus, or as a dummy thicc tablet.

It's an absolutely facinating concept and a rather striking design, in my opinion.

It also makes for an absolutely garbage use-on-your-lap laptop. For starters, it's freaking huge and surprising heavy (it's nearly five pounds), and pushing the keyboard forward to the edge makes typing awkward, unless you use the included leather palm rest (hard to do on your lap).

As a desktop replacement to be used on a desk, perhaps with a Bluetooth mouse, though, it's quite good, and the fact that the screen floats and can be moved around as needed makes the touchscreen more practical than you'd think. That said, even though the whole point of the drat thing was "practical touchscreen laptop" it's still ultimately a failure because, well, Windows 10 still isn't a great touchscreen OS, even years later.

Adding a touchscreen to an laptop, even with clever design to make touchscreen practical and even preferable to traditional mouse + trackpad, doesn't mean poo poo if it's a pain to use the touchscreen to replace those things.

On Reddit the other day, I saw a post from a user who bought a MacBook Pro with a busted screen. Instead of replacing the screen, they modified the MBP to work headless, and installed a magnetic mount for their iPad Pro where the display had been. They then installed Catalina and set up sidecar, giving them an MacBook Pro with a "display" that could be removed and used separately as a tablet. Ultimately, I think that's the coolest "touchscreen" laptop I've seen, and what I've wanted from Apple for while--an iPad with a trackpad/keyboard dock that runs MacOS when docked, a "best of both worlds" scenario.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

That looks like someone got drunk and was having trouble trying to multitask on his laptop and iPad.

*sees who posted it*

Ah, that tracks

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Badger posted:

Mods are asleep this year or became Linux fans

Finally, it's the year of Linux!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xabi posted:

After a couple of weeks of light use with the 2019 MacBook Pro I’m not sure if I will get used to the keyboard. One thing is that it feels strange but now I suddenly write like an rear end with lots of mistakes. I will (probably?) get used to it over time and adjust but at this stage I’m thinking about returning it and instead find a used 2015 with a (IMO) proper keyboard. It will mostly get light use anyway so a 2015 would probably hold up fine.

(Then I could spend the extra money on an iPad as well....)

I have a 2014 MBP and the original 10.5" iPad pro (which I think is the same as the current "iPad") and it's a fantastic combo. No Sidecar though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cowofwar posted:

I have an early 2011 mbp and can’t run os x 10.14. The computer has a nice SSD and 16gb of ram so it has no speed issues. I have been waiting forever for a better keyboard. Hopefully 2020 is my year.

You should absolutely use the DosDude installer linked above. It works, it really does. I've got Mojave running on an '09 iMac and it's clear that that bottleneck is the hardware, most notably the stupid physical hard drive that I would replace except I'm afraid of breaking the screen.

I bet Catalina will run great on your MBP.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cowofwar posted:

Sounds like not ideal for me. My system has a AMD HD6750M 1024MB dedicated GPU and Intel HD graphics 3000 512MB.

Ah crap, I forgot about that. High Sierra is as far as your laptop will go, then.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

The 16" will have zero ports whatsoever and only charge wirelessly. If you want to use an external display it uses a form of sidecar technology.

We are probably ~3 years away from this being a real thing.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hadn't really thought about data recovery from a T2 encrypted being difficult as an issue. In fact, t's kind of the point, isn't it?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
iFixit examined the 16" MBP keyboard and as far as they can tell, Apple's back to the same scissor mechanism as they were before, maybe ever-so--slightly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

My top of the line 2016 MacBook Pro with touchbar just poo poo the bed

Apparently the logic board died, and the Apple affiliated store I went to charges 2,500 dollars to replace it :aaa:

Apparently it’s all packed so tight together that you have to replace the whole thing. Unbelievable.

Not that I needed the tech guy to tell me, but at that price I’d rather buy a new machine, just wondering how is this even possible.

I’m going to try going directly to Apple support, but this is insane. Pretty mad about this, a laptop that just dies after 3 years with no possibility of repair, and apparently even the data is gone because it’s tied to some flash mem, loving ridiculous.

I admittedly have been out of the loop on costs for repairing Apple products but that estimate can't be anywhere close to the truth, I have a feeling the "Apple associated" store employee was trying to make a sale.

Can you provide more details about where you are, or what store you went to?

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/Oh right, that too