Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I'm looking for a laptop upgrade. I was looking at the 13" Macbook Air or the Macbook Pro for the ret display. How does Bootcamp (or Windows specifically) handle retina displays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

The 15" is stupid big.

I tried to live with the 15" but couldn't take it out of the house. Doesn't fit on small coffee shop tables, awkward to carry...

Don't ever buy an 11" MacBook Air. It has ruined every other laptop for me since it's so portable. I was looking to replace my old sandy bridge 11" with a new 13" MBP or MBA but I couldn't pull the trigger because the 13" felt too big. I'm hoping for an 11" MBA with a retina update.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can also just install windows on an external and boot from that.

I've always wanted to do this with my 128gb Macbook.

Is it possible to boot Windows off an external USB Solid State Drive? If so, how's the performance?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

This is perfect. I remember trying to do this back in 2011 when I bought my laptop but I couldn't find any guides on how to boot off a USB. Thanks!

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I was looking to get a second-hand MBP 15" retina. I was looking at an early 2013 Macbook Pro 15" retina on craigslist. After googling the laptop model, I found that Apple had problems with it's video card. Should I be worried about the video card problems with this specific model? I emailed the person who owns it and he said he never had problems or had the logic board replaced.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/19/macbook-pro-repair/

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Is it worth to buy a fully maxed out second hand late 2013 MBP 15" (1TB SSD + discrete video card) + apple care until 2017 for $1600? It's The SSD and apple care makes it tempting but $1600 is a lot for a two year old compute. It's in great condition with only 120 battery cycles

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I use that exact machine and it's still ridiculously fast. That 1TB PCIe SSD is stupid fast and Haswell's still great. For development, VMs, and tons of Photoshop and Lightroom usage I've seen no reason to consider upgrading.

Also that's like half what I paid for it.

Thanks swooping on the craigslist deal. I saw that the specs weren't much different then the 2014 models. The 16gb of ram sold it for me for VMs.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

WELP so that late 2013 15" MacBook Pro I bought a bit ago for $1600 was having graphical issues when it switched from the integrated to discrete card. Luckily it had Apple care on it because the previous owner never mentioned the screen flickering. They replaced the logic board, wiped out SSD, and finally replaced the screen but the problem still persisted. They put on an older 10.10 image on there and it still gave us screen flickering in the Apple Store. They wanted to replace the logic board again. I was kinda frustrated at this point because I'd be out of the computer for another 5 days.

So they ended up just replacing the whole machine with a new 2015 1TB 15" MBP. The catch was that the Apple care didn't transfer. I have to buy apple care for it again but that's not bad. I have peace of mind buying any used Apple hardware as long as there's any Apple care left on the machine.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 2, 2015

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

enojy posted:

This reminds me of when I bought a used (second or third-gen) iPod off of eBay for a too-good-to-be-true price, and it started clicking and taking forever to sync only a month or so into owning it. I went to the Apple store with it ready to lie my rear end off about buying it brand new and taking perfect care of it and I lost the receipt and blah blah blah (I was like 18 ok), turns out it still had a few weeks of AppleCare left on it and they just gave me a new one before I could even get the chance to bullshit them. It's good to hear AppleCare is still awesome.

Well I knew that Apple Care transferred over to the new buyer so I knew I wasn't SOL. To be fair, I would've bought the base discrete rMBP off the refurb store if that meant I didn't have to deal with going to the Apple Store four times in a row in two weeks. Nothing against the Apple Store, but it's a pain to wait 2 hours each visit since the store nearby me is understaffed. My productivity this week was at an all time low sadly.

At least I was able to get a prorated refund on apple care on the old defective unit. I was also able to use my girl friend's educational discount to purchase apple care for this new laptop; so in the end it only cost me only $130. $1730 is not bad for a fully maxed out 15" rMBP with Applecare but I NEVER want to spend another minute in a crowded apple store. Great customer service but I just had bad luck on a lemon.

Edit: Just checked the display manufacturer after Star War Sex Parrot's posts and I went from an LG panel to a Samsung panel in the new rMBP. I don't see a drastic difference but I do see a more "clearer" picture color wise. Closer to the korean 27" IPS monitors I have at home.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 3, 2015

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Net result: another logic board and display assembly. At least it was an amazingly fast turnaround for a holiday week. Plus the Fruit Stand was open at 8AM so I could get there while the mall and Store were still a ghost town.

Warehouse repairs have super fast turn arounds. I had to do it three times before they issued a replacement, but each time only took 3 business days, including the day I dropped my laptop off at the Apple Store. It usually only takes one day for the repair and they use Next Day when shipping it both ways.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Raymn posted:

I have a brand new 13" rMBP that I am trying to connect to an external monitor at 1440p. Specifically this guy http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765HT-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00KYCSRSG which is also brand new. However, I cannot get the drat thing to display anything higher than 1080p. I've used an Apple branded mini DP to DVI, 3rd party mini DP to DVI, multiple dual link DVI cables and I tried a different 15" rMBP with the same results. I've read people talking about connecting theirs to older MBPs with no issues but I've also read people having problems getting their MBPs to display higher than 1080p on other monitors. I think I saw a Benq support post where a rep stated that you needed to use a mini DP to DP cable and that adapters won't work but that seems ridiculous given the number of people talking about using the monitor with their MBP and failing to mention that. Any ideas?

Edit: Now that I think about it, I'm assuming the Mini DP to DVI is dual link but I guess it might not be? Ugh. I'm getting 1200p out of one but I guess I should check on that first.

Buy a mini-displayport to displayport cable and use the displayport input on your monitor. You need a dual dvi adapter if you want to use the DVI port. The dual dvi adapter for macs are $100 so your best bet is to buy the mini-dp to DP cable.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Housh posted:

AMD/ATI is garbage. Apple needs to stop getting GPUs from them. They're recalling the 2013 Mac Pros now. I really hope the 2016 15" rMBP dGPU isn't AMD.

My old late 2013 15" rMBP did the same thing and it had a NVidia GPU. It was eventually replaced for free due to Apple Care. I think Apple products just run a bit too hot due to the form factor.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Is there any specific reason for why Apple currently aren't using nvidia cards in MacBooks, or is it just that currently, amd offers a better deal/fit?

They probably got a better deal from AMD at the time. I'm really hoping the new Macbook Pro 15" refreshes get a better retina display. The current retina display isn't too bad but it only scales well at 1440x900.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I don't know. I think the MacBook is a bit overpriced and I'm hoping the reduce the base price a little bit with the next model, like they did the Air.

Remember the first MacBook Air was $1,799 (SSD was a $1,000 option), 2GB RAM, barely 3 hour battery life...

Then later on in 2013 you can get the 13" for $799 on sale at Best Buy with 4GB/128GB and it was a screamer with 12 hours of battery life.

The CPU advancements from 2010 -> 2013 were amazing. It kind of stagnated from there sadly. AMD needs to step up their game so Intel can stay honest

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I've got a cat that has a tendency to chew on power adapter cords. My current power adapter is breaking apart at the block-smaller cord interface, plus it gets really hot sometimes and it feels like I'm holding a bomb, so it's time to get a new one. (It's been less than a year since I got a new one what the gently caress Apple :shepicide:)

I want this one to last as long as possible, so I'm looking for cord protectors that are good for handling pet chews. What are some recommended options?

I bought an extra oem 85 watt adapter off eBay for like $40 for my 15" rMBP. Check eBay for your power brick needs. Make sure you get an OEM one though and not a knockoff.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

enojy posted:

Nope, haven't even looked at used/refurbished Apple displays yet! My interest was piqued because I've been using Xcode a lot more recently, and I just want poo poo to be bigger. 1680x1050 on the 13" MBP is fine for just about everything but Xcode. Newegg also had this on sale, and I was like huh, a 27" monitor isn't as expensive as I'd thought. Only 1080p, though.

If you have patience, you can wait for a cheap 27" 1440p refurb monitor off the Acer store.

http://acerrecertified.com/27-and-Up

Sometimes you can get lucky and pick one up for $200~

edit: You can also go the cheap Korean 27" 1440p monitor route but I don't recommend that with Macbook computers. I have the official apple adapter (MDP -> Dual DVI) but for some reason my korean monitor does not play nicely with my rMBP with a m370x. The screen flickers every 4 seconds.

It's strange though, the korean monitor plays perfectly nice with my 11" MBA though. It makes me assume it has to do with the m370x.

double edit: I went to go play with it again and it seems like the screen does not flicker when I use bootcamp. So it has to do with a software problem with the m370x

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 1, 2016

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

More rumor bullshit:

Apple still plans to announce its new MacBook Pro "in the month" with shipments to begin at the end of October, according to new information shared by Japanese site Mac Otakara.

Citing a "reliable Chinese supplier," the site says that Apple will launch both 13 and 15-inch models, continuing to offer the machine in the same sizes available today. Apple is also expected to launch a new 13-inch MacBook Air, but will not debut a new 11-inch MacBook Air machine.

Both the new MacBook Pro models, which will replace existing models, and the new 13-inch MacBook Air are said to include USB-C ports and Thunderbolt 3 support.

Previous rumors and part leaks have suggested the upcoming MacBook Pro will include[ four USB-C ports, doing away with an SD card slot, an HDMI port, USB-A ports, and a MagSafe connection.

RIP magsafe

I can live with the USB-C ports but why the MagSafe connection? The MagSafe is one of the top reasons to have a Mac Laptop

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bummer, it looks like it is using the MacBook keyboard.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I was hoping for a 4k display so scaling to 1900x1200 wouldn't be scaled

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I was hoping for at least a base 512gb. Hope the max is 2tb so I can grab one later down the line used.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Roadie posted:

The idea for ~the future~ is that you basically do monitor -> laptop with one USB-C cable (or monitor -> hub -> laptop with two) and that does both data (to monitor) and power (to laptop), and then connect other stuff to the monitor or hub and it acts as a passthrough. It's annoying that there's not much hardware for it yet, but it does mean basically one less cable for every device once it catches on more.

I'm glad this is happening. I currently have a set up where I have to plug in a USB wire for my monitor's built in USB hub, the displayport wire itself, and a magsafe connector to charge the laptop. It'd be nice just to use one wire.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Both of these loving macbook pros are still on DDR3 memory, for how much cash!? 16gb max, looool

I thought Skylake was DDR4?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

ONE Old style thunderbolt and one old style USB port would shut me and most of everyone else up

The price hike is stupid too

This or even a 4K display would make me shut up. There is no excuse to not include a 4k display in the 15" laptops.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Why, other than the fact to check a box that says '4k'?

The pixels are small enough at current resolution. You're just killing battery life and performance by going higher on the built-in screen.

I could understand possibly arguing for 1680x1050 Retina (3360x2100) instead of 3840x2160, but it's not like the lack of a 4k display hurts anyone.

Using 1440x900 sucks for any development work so I always use 1900x1200 mode, which doesn't 2x scale and looks pixelated under the "retina" display.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

TraderStav posted:

So the touch bar is going to kill dual-booting into Windows via boot camp, right?

No, it will just display the function keys normally according to MacRumors.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

The image of someone whipping a $2000 macbook out of their dogshit $7 foam sleeve that doesn't even fit right is pretty amusing. I mean you gotta save somewhere I guess?

It's just a foam sleeve that does its job by protecting my laptop from scratches while in my backpack :shrug: It doesn't need style points

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

How does one prep a MacBook Pro to sell now? I know with iCloud and all that, it's kind of hard. I want to show the potential buyer the desk top and all that but without any of my info (my iCloud) on there. Is there a way to reformat and gain access to the desktop without logging in? I know iPhones won't allow it.

Anyways, jumping from my 2015 rMBP to the new 2016 models wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. I miss the old keyboard but the dongles aren't so bad once you learn how to tether them together to the power supply. The 2016 MBP makes the 2015 model look thick and bulky, it's crazy how much lighter and thinner it is in person.

I also don't know how they did it but the SSDs in the 2016 15" MBPs are even faster then last years model. I had a 1TB ssd in my old 15" MBP and that was blazing fast already.

Edit: I just wished this laptop had a GTX 1050 instead of the Radeon Pro 460 for CUDA

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 3, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Just got a new MBP 13". Can anyone recommend either a carrying case and/or those shell protectors?

Amazon makes some cheap but good quality neoprene sleeves that should fit the 13" MBPs.

It should be under their house brand called Amazon Basics.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Any chance the 13" MacBook Pros get updated with the new low watt quadcore chips anytime soon?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Do you think Apple will release quad core 13" MBPs this summer? I saw that Intel released ultra-low-voltage quad processors and Dell released a XPS 13 with it. I don't need a discrete card anymore and switching from 15" -> 13" sounds really tempting since I dock my MBP most of the time when I need the screen real estate.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 3, 2018

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I am irritated that the base 13” model only has 8gb of ram for a pro machine

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I just picked up a 13" MBP from the apple store. This thing is amazing, it's as fast, or even faster, then my maxed out 2015 15" MBP. This thing feels like it has the same footprint of a 13" MBA but with a beefy processor and retina display.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Chrome is great across ecosystems, its just battery life is greater using Safari (on Macs) so I recommend that.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I've had the 13" MBP for almost two months. I am happy with downgrading from a 15" -> 13". Going to a quad core on the 13" sealed the deal for me. I don't miss the extra screen real estate at all. I do miss the legacy USB ports on my 2015 MBP though.

Going back to my 15" MBP feels weird with the mushy keyboard.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Apparently the MacBook pros are going to be upgraded with radeon pro Vega gpu options next month?

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/10/all-new-macbook-air-takes-flight/

I’m surprised, they just refreshed the MBP line. I assume this only applies to the 15” model since the 13” uses only a integrated gpu

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Pitwar posted:

I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to tech specs of computers, so I'm after a bit of help.

I'm looking to buy a MacBook with it's main use being editing videos for use on YouTube.

So, my plan was to pick up a 256GB 13" MacBook Pro as this seemed liked the best bet, based on my budget.

However, before I do this I want to ask whether this new Air would be suitable for my needs, or is the Pro still the best way to go? I kinda like the look of the new Air better than the Pro, but of course it's whether it'll be up to the job I want it to do.

For video editing, I think you'll benefit more with a quad core in the MacBook Pro than the dual core in the MacBook Air. This is assuming you're looking at a Touch Bar model for the MBP.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

A co-worker told me about the $999 stand and the $200 VESA option. I didn’t believe her.

They can honey comb the back of the monitor but can’t include a built in VESA mount?

Edit: not complaining about the price of $5000 for the monitor just the vesa mount option... should be built in

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 4, 2019

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Craigslist MBP for a friend who just broke theirs. 1256 cycles!

I had like 600+ cycles in 3 years (before i had applecare replace the battery) from my development 2015 15" macbook pro. that doesnt seem that bad

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Speaking of moot, Apple just declared the following models of laptop to be Vintage status, which basically means Apple has dropped all support for them unless you live in California..

‌MacBook Air‌ (11-inch, Mid 2013)

‌MacBook Air‌ (13-inch, Mid 2013)

‌MacBook Air‌ (11-inch, Early 2014)

‌MacBook Air‌ (13-inch, Early 2014)

‌MacBook Pro‌ (13-inch, Mid 2014)

drat my trusty 15" MBP is almost going to go vintage status....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

It's like, how did people get anything done with the old (2015) 13" MacBook Air? 128GB/4GB and the CPU was 4x slower :(

I still use a 11" 2013 MBA 4gb for some web development. But the 4gb is really limiting