Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There are no mitamas in four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't there a dreamcast game like that?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Delsaber posted:

I can't bring myself to name my protagonists anything other than Charlie Tunoku. Doesn't even matter what game it is.

The only correct name.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Considering that persona 5 is coming out for the ps3 getting a ps4 is a pretty bad way to get into the persona series. If you get a vita you'll have access to every main persona game released so far. A ps3 has got persona 3 fes and persona 4 as ps2 classics and the second half of persona 2 as a ps1 classic plus persona 5 when that comes out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

I really didn't "get" Marie's character at all. It was almost as if they were lampooning some kind of stereotype but I just couldn't understand and struggled with her jumbled-up manner of speaking. And it was also annoying the way the game forced her on you every five seconds. Like, she seemed to have gently caress-all to do with the story so why would I want to date or even befriend her again?

She has fuckall to do with the story because she wasn't in the original version. She's a poo poo character who is awkwardly stuck into the game and it sticks out like a sore thumb. She's the only negative that I could give the golden version and I would Rebuy P4 for the third time if they did nothing but remove her presence.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Can't you just get a US account and buy US cards to buy the games with.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

The same way it's possible in theory to play any game unreleased in the west if you buy the thing that bypass zoning and learn japanese. See where I'm coming from? Yes, it's possible, but it's honestly too much efforts and downsides for a game that's not really worth it.

Except completely different because it takes minutes to wipe a vita and buy a card and years of dedicated practice to learn Japanese. Also Persona 2 is great and anyone saying it's not is a European mad they can't buy it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Wait, I thought Almighty ignored Makarakarn? :psyduck:

It does that's why he spams it, because its the only thing he can do without hurting himself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Blasted/Infernal Tokyo are alternate universes based not on the present (you not interferring), but on the choices Flynn's past life made, which is the same one Masakado references when he says Flynn has been reincarnated.

Is this only confirmed in the Neutral ending? I always figured that's what was going on but never saw any confirmation on my law or chaos playthroughs. Blasted and Infernal tokyo are really cool thematically it really makes it seem like SMTIV is the sequel to a game that never got made.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Excels posted:

The Shadows in Ultimax freak me out, man. They sound either really upset or super-smarmy. When you pick Shadow Junpei, you just hear this sad, echo-y "I just... gotta win, right?" :smith:

i feel like not having a shadow marie is a missed opportunity tho.

They can't have shadow Marie because everyone would like her more than regular Marie.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You probably forgot to have it in your stock earlier and just now ended up not having enough points. You don;t need the persona equipped to get the bonus by the way.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Race Realists posted:

Finished P3. Do I HAVE to play The Answer? I feel like it somewhat ruins the ending of the game a tad bit.

P4 or Nocturne?

You shouldn't play The Answer. Look up an LP if you want the story stuff. Play Nocturne P3 will have eased you into it's style and playing P3 and P4 back to back could easily lead to burn out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Nocturne also has the benefit of next to no vocals in the soundtrack.

There's plenty of vocals in the soundtrack they just happen to be completely unintelligible.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We'll sacrifice the son of god
Mans greatest glimpse of iron red.
???????????????????????????????????
Even after all these years I can't figure out what the rest of the verses mean.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

We'll sacrifice the Son of Heaven.
Man's greatest glimpse of fire red.
Oh, how they're lost in our prayers for our greatest God.
Let me sleep, please. I am a man, half-human.
I am tired as heart and person weaken, in the name of...
God! I will not crack! Can you hear them?
God! I will not crack! Can you hear them?

Sure...it sounds exactly like that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Toadsniff posted:

So SMT4 has like the best soundtrack ever. I mean listen to this poo poo and tell me your 90's JRPG self isn't just all about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEtRzDYYBuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmqjfaebnhI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohAiFqvZkvE

Game owns so hard.

I was worried so much in the pre release that the soundtrack was gonna suck. And I turned out dead wrong, SMTIVs got the best soundtrack since the DDS games. I only wish I had been wrong about thinking the new demon designs were going to be poo poo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

neongrey posted:

That's strange, because I distinctly remember around when I got it there being a lot of talk about the 3DS version being outright better because it was less bug-ridden than the Vita one; I was annoyed that I'd bought the version that was buggier.

e: maybe I read it wrong all along? weird. I could have sworn...

You did read it wrong.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

The game doesn't actually expect you to do that, those quests are always open. I don't think you can actually complete that quest for real until way late in the game. It's really cool that it allows you to try, though.

I did it on my first try as did many others. It's really not hard if you've been playing megaten games long enough to know how to game the system.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I'm playing PQ and what's a vow not to bossy mean during the second boss fight?

No Leader skills. It's color coded.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If it makes you guys feel any better I think that the last dungeon is a hell of a lot better than the festival.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cat doter posted:

I'm torn between SMT IV and Persona Q, since I'm so gay for persona 3 and 4, but I've heard the writing is really caricature-y

I'm fuckin poor as poo poo at the moment so it'll probably have to be SMT IV

SMT4 is by far the better game. Persona Q's writing is only passable and the game design is terrible.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm at the final boss in Persona 4 Golden presumably the giant ball with one eye. What can I do about his strong laser attack?

Defend also not the final boss.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

you get to actually s-link all your party members

S-linking party member is actually terrible because it forces their characters to be static throughout the whole game instead of growing throughout cause atlus sure is hell wasn't gonna write special dialog for each character depending on where they are in their social link arcs.

Arist posted:

That really ends up not mattering at all, and I'm going to say it for the billionth time, the male route of P3 is fundamentally worse than the female route.

FeMC has worse music in most cases, especially the battle theme. And the difference in quality of SL is overblown in my opinion.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well gently caress me. This is the second time it's happened so I'm saying it now as a potential warning for others. The game crashes if you try to Fuse weapons. Just going to Antiques and clicking Fuse Weapons will shut the whole thing down.

I have lost a lot of progress twice now. I figured it was a freak accident the first time but come the gently caress on.

Are you playing the Ps3 ports? those versions have a ton of issues for some reason if at all possible you should hunt down original PS2 copies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

... Uh, what?

A) Atlus has already done things where they lock specific social link advancement behind story beats.
B) Even if they hadn't, the character arcs in P3 and P3P are exactly the same except P3P fleshes things out more and allows you to slightly alter some events.

A) It should be the other way around instead of locking the social links behind the story they should change the characters perspective in the story depending on where they are on their link.
B) To be honest I'm more talking about P4 and it's complete inability to let it's characters change in their social link.

I just wish that we could have the fun of social linking with people but also have characters who actually develop and have arcs like in P1 and 2 instead of giving the one story scene or one level ten rank up scene and then have them act exactly the same for the rest of the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

I think the solution of "let's just not give your party members links then" is going way too far though and would piss a lot of people off.

And what you want from social links seems way too complicated.

I think there's probably a good middle ground somewhere. Something more a kin to the Desu2 system with some branching paths both in the story outside of it could work. I think them forcing themselves into the start social link > 9 Ranks > Date Y/N > Rank ten, new personas > and never hang out with them again is really working against them. I am glad that P4G has incentivized you to actually spend time with your girlfriends and best friends instead of forging unbreakable bonds and then ignoring them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think you guys are overplaying how bad raidou 1 is. It's clunky for sure, any first action game made by primarily RPG developers is likely to be. But it's pretty easy and fun and reading an LP loses out in a lot of the 20's Japanese flavor you get from actually playing it. The story is also cool as hell and the final boss is indeed awesome. It's like what 10 - 15 dollars at least try it first before you dismiss it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I swear the Yukiko's castle mini boss is bugged or something, I'm replaying golden and he just one shot my MC while he was using a resist physical persona, he even killed Kanji who was 300hp. :psyduck:

I'm at level 24 to, I don't understand why his rampage does such insane damage.

Iirc he actually has a special enemy only version of rampage with a much higher base damage.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sea Sponge Run posted:

As a person unaccustome to true smt, the beginning of 4 has been really rough on me

I'll press onward, though

Much like almost every megaten game once your options start to open up after the first few areas the game becomes significantly easier. Once you get to the world map proper you should be golden.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Yeah I was thinking going with 2. I have both versions on the Vita (Innocence Sin and Eternal Punishment), but how janky will the PS1 game be when I get done with Innocence Sin, since US didn't get the PSP remake for it?

Besides, will be amusing since going to another Persona about a Joker.

The gameplay is identical but the menus and general feel is far less sleek. The strangeness of the translation bothers me far more to be honest.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Oh yeah, the names in Eternal Punishment are a hybrid of the ones from Japanese and the old Revelation Persona translation?

I'm not familiar with the names in Revelations but they end up being like Hama-on and Agiaon and such. Similar enough that it doesn't cause confusion but just ends up feeling off. Likewise I believe there are no honorifics, and they had to keep some of the revelations names to keep continuity even if they were changed in localization so you see Mary in the game instead of Maki.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So I was going over why I didn't enjoy Innocent Sin with some people elsewhere and a fact was brought up that didn't even occur to me in spite of its obviousness.

It's really damned easy. Game difficulty is one of those things that varies a lot from person-to-person but the fact is, I was so bored by the combat in the game that I just didn't engage with any of it and blundered my way through most of the game unchallenged. This is in sharp contrast to Strange Journey, P3 and 4, Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1.

Is Innocent Sin the easiest Atlus game?

It's probably the easiest of the games released in English. If it's any consolation EP is significantly harder, you do need to engage in all the systems in it right from the start instead of just relying on the Personas Philemon gives you. Although It's still easier than say SJ or Nocturne.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Disagree on both fronts. SJ is probably the second easiest game released in English, even discounting how absurd reflect is; the only game easier is IV.

e; Wait, poo poo, Persona Q exists. Right. Uhh... that's. Hmm. Okay, yeah, Persona Q is the easiest released in English by a loving mile. At least in IV, you have like two fights that might game over people.

If you only count in battle as difficulty I'm inclined to agree but SJ has much more complicated and multilayered dungeons and seeing as you spend roughly half the game running around them I'd say it factors into the difficulty. Also we both missed soul hackers which is the real easier game in English being a complete cakewalk on all fronts.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

ya know i actually would like it if they included some more modern myths in smt, maybe not terrorism literally, but idk make social commentary and have the internet appear as god

How quickly you forget chemtrail.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Is SMT IV: Apocalypse any good? I realize abruptly I've not played it. It's some sort of sequel to the regular SMT IV, it seems?

Gameplay wise it's pretty much a complete improvement with the caveat that it's even easier than IV. Story wise it's a mildly interesting mess that is a sort of what if of the neutral end of IV.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

So I finished SMT IV last night. After complaining in here about not being able to beat Merkabah, I booted up the game for the first time in months and got him in a couple of tries. Once I brought in a party which didn't have weaknesses to Zio/Zan spells, and enough healing, it was fine really. Lucifer's Palace was a lot easier than Purgatory I found. It didn't feel as long, and it just had a couple of easy enough mini-bosses at the beginning. Lucifer himself seemed ok, I died to him once or twice but beat him then. That move which returns a Demon to your stock is such a dick move. I abused Tetrakarn a little bit, and had a few demons with Null Ice.

Time to start Apocalypse. :unsmigghh:

Man I would stick a game in between those two, they're very similar and it's easy to get burnt out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I've clocked about 60 hours into SMTIV as my first megami tensei game and I've got to say, I love the pokemon-on-steroids recruitment and combat system, but don't so much enjoy how this game basically expects me to know the geography of Tokyo with really obscure instructions on where to find the things I need to complete a quest.

Luckily Apocalypse actually has a usable map.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

So for Soul Hackers, is there any guidelines for leveling, like are there any outright bad stats like how Strength is bad in SMT4 because it does the same exact thing as Dex but worse? Also general pointers are cool too.

Pick sexy for nemissa as it's the earliest access to almighty for her. Your mc doesn't get magic so he should be all str and nemissa should be all magic focused. Your z guy whose name I forgot doesn't cost mag to keep summoned so you him and nemissa are going to be your main crew for most the game. You should really only have to summon more guys for bosses. Soul hackers, especially with the 3ds features, is one of the easiest megaten games so don't stress too much

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is anybody going to post the japan only phone game so we can get all the technicalities out of the way?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure the mobile pprts of smt1 and 2 broke when apple updated something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sj's soundtrack sounds so much better not filtered through lovely D's speakers.