Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I really like how well "breaking your chains" works symbolically as the new Persona summoning method, particularly with the big contrast between the Hero as a student and as a thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's a shame that Atlus makes so few HD games, they're way better at translating their artists' character designs into models than most other JRPG devs as of late.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Best Girl posted:

Personas are a reflection of one's self, so they're probably cool kids on the inside.

It's pretty blatant with the imagery they're going with this time. The Hero's awakening is him literally breaking the chains of the mild-mannered persona he has as a schoolkid.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 25, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It'll be interesting to see what his dialogue choices are like.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Excels posted:

I hope that's the localized title as well. Just straight up tell people "this is what you're getting and it's weird"

As of E3 the Nintendo localization team was calling it "Genei Ibun Roku Sharp Eff Eee".

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Beef Chief posted:

Burch sounds really terrible as Rise. Like holy poo poo, how does she sound so bad? The voice acting is usually one of the things you can count on to be good in these games outside of VA changes.

It's probably because the dumb dancing Vita game isn't something that Atlus USA thinks they need to put a ton of effort into. Persona 5 is supposed to be releasing in both Japan and NA this year, so they're probably focusing the majority of their localization effort on that right now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That reminds me that I haven't played DeSu2, so how's the gameplay compared to Overclocked, and how many times am I responsible for taking care of suicidal NPCs?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

littleorv posted:

Not too often actually. I can only think of a few times I had a mission to protect NPCs.

A lot less than the first DeSu at least.

That's nice to hear. It wasn't really that bad since even the generic salaryman could take a hit or two, but it was still more of an annoyance than a challenge.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hubris.height posted:

tales of hearts isn't done any favors by having no dub imho

Mainly because they clearly translated the text with the intention of dubbing it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

It'd be like Final Fantasy V. V has more tactical depth than any SMT game, even with Press Turns, because of stuff like that.

While I'm a big fan of FFV, I'm not sure it's right to say that it has more overall tactical depth when that depth only becomes relevant once you impose large restrictions upon yourself, such as the FJF.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

You would need to completely rebalance status effects if you don't want the player to be able to just completely lock down bosses like in PQ.

Yeah, it's a hard thing do to on the player's end. If you don't do it well it ends up as either gamebreaking or pointless. Sure, there are some enemies in FFV that have one status effect as a massive chink in their armor, but you can't really discover that through normal gameplay without either tossing every status effect spell you have at every boss or looking into the bestiary after you've already killed it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

your posts are getting really depressing, beef.

the curse of animod

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Basically now it's just a phrase that people toss at whatever characters they don't like when they aren't able or can't be bothered to come up with actual criticisms.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

I dunno, that definition seems to fit the P3 protagonist pretty well.

You could, but it shows how silly throwing that term around is. The P3/P4 MCs are semi-blank slate player controlled characters in a game where one of the core mechanics is building relationships with people, of course they're going to be basically perfect if you play the game optimally.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

iirc one of the writers even said the plot was based on some kind of anime or something.

he said that with xenoblade chronicles they were trying to make a plot like that which would appear in a typical cartoon or comic for boys, rather than the wackiness of takahashi's previous games

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I remain utterly bewildered that anyone could call Xenoblade "not anime." It has the most anime loving plot in the world. It's basically a mecha anime JRPG (shocking for a Xeno game) except instead of a mecha the protagonist has a laser sword. The ending would be the most JRPG ending in the world if Lightning Returns didn't exist.

I'm really confused sometimes by what games goons standards are for "anime", like the point at which they start melting down if someone starts posting about it near them. It's actually a bit surprising to me that atelier games and such are considered acceptable in the rpg thread.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

xenoblade was kind of dumb in how it doled out characters. once you leave colony 9 your third party slot is filled by a healer in a game where healers are boring to the point that they removed them in x, but then your next alternative is having two tanks at the same time. you can't really build fun parties until well into the forest area.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It also says that the FFVII remake is a 2016 release and :laffo: at that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

no man's sky-TBA:TBA

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

http://duckfeed.tv/bonfiresidechat/27

i don't know about existential crisis but the first part of this podcast is like a 15 minute tirade about how anime is garbage

there's an abject suffering ep about fist of the north star where he speculates that japanese people/culture may be more predisposed to autism than normal

it makes me kind of sad that people get so angry about japanese cartoons and comics. there's plenty of awful crap, especially in animation, but when you look a little bit more, especially in manga, it can actually be a pretty cool industry sometimes. like the author of fullmetal alchemist is a mother of three who went on to make another successful comic about farming

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Terper posted:

it's almost like they're... human beings...

yeah it's cool

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Chexoid posted:

Yukiko's got the best VA by a lot:

https://vimeo.com/96104505

barkley 2's save points are coming along nicely

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Please don't give Square money for their pity Dragon Quest.

from reports it's a pretty good DW spinoff. Only real issue is that they've already announced DQH2.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

Haha, yeah, let me care about the dumb crossover with a bad series for a bad console, instead of the insanely epic RPG where you can date a cute doctor.

But not being a crossover is the whole reason people are real mad about it!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

no nintendo cares too much about that crossover they've mentioned once in like three years.

they've talked about it a decent amount considering it was only properly revealed back in april.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

the 3ds has lots of good games, you should buy it if you have the money to spare.

Notably a whole bunch of Atlus games, a ton if you include the DS library.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SectumSempra posted:

Persona 2 is worth crawling through for the story and characters,

The game play isn't horrible but definitely is dated. Innocent sin then eternal punishment.

Also can we just get a p5 date already?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Excels posted:

Earthbound had no marketing whatsoever and it sold like ten copies at launch

More like it had anti-marketing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

anime is too persona

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

why do people get weird over the FE kids stuff, a timeloop family is just kinda funny, not offensive at all.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Probably a rerelease or something. If it was for an entirely new game, it'd at least get a teaser site of its own.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh.

That's a really ugly piece of boxart.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the castlevania dawn of sorrow rerelease boxart

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tae posted:

The costume designer for #FE has a fetish for brown combat boots.

good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

littleorv posted:

For everyone saying they aren't buying #FE I hope it's because you don't own a Wii U

Also: buy a Wii U. They're good.

they're okay

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Oh man, goddammit. I thought it was going to be a 3DS game.

I'd rather kickstart buying an ice cream truck for a pedophile than buy a Wii U.

wha

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Vengarr posted:

I do not like the Wii U but also would not contribute to a pedophiles kickstarter under any circumstances, hope this clears up any confusion

Counterpoint: ADTRW

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

stop

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILOvAkmILV0&feature=youtu.be&t=1626

SMTIV FINAL footage from today's JP Direct.