Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I think I would have drilled through and used carriage bolts and nuts.
In fact, I did, when I moved the location of an attic access hatch in order to clear some cabinets I was installing in the garage. Probably fine with the glue, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

I thought glued and screwed was the proper way to attach a doubler to a joist but I’m also a previous owner in the making so I invite someone to correct me.

Oh, the glue is no problem. I just figure bolts and nuts to be suspenders to the glue's belt.
And I will undoubtedly be a previous owner, but I hope not too egregiously.

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Also a previous owner but wood glue tends to be stronger than the wood itself and that is a heck of a lot of glue. I would have done bolts, personally, but if someone told me glue was the right way I’d believe it.

That's my thinking.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

rjmccall posted:

edit: good lord how did I end up in this thread

Good luck. Now go play the lottery.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

If you’re directly immersed, internal and external pressure will be more or less equal, so you’d still have that +.26.

Now, if your rear end in a top hat is an integral part of a larger pressure hull, yeah, it could get tricky.

Reminds me of a Robert A. Heinlein short "Gentlemen, Be Seated"
There's a large hole in the hull of a moon habitat, and the only thing handy that's big enough to plug the hole is the astronaut's butts. They're in spacesuits, but not enough air, so spacesuited rear end in a hole it is.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

IIRC they had photographic evidence of this occurring, they looked like a rocket launching on top of a brown exhaust plume.

This derail gave me some genuine laughs on a Monday. Thanks for that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jusupov posted:

It's impossible to know where the roof will peak

....even with presumably prebuilt trusses.
Or are those on-site built?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nitrox posted:

They look like manufactured pieces, but not exactly symmetrical for whatever reason, and few were installed backwards.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MH Knights posted:

You're drunk, go home.

Home, you're drunk. Go.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

E: As for why that house is leaning, it's on stilts. Well, concrete pillars. Well it used to be. You can see one leaning sideways in the picture under the house. That's because the home is in a coastal region or maybe even the Keys, so it was built on top of a garage and some pillars so that, loving get this, it can flood without doing any really expensive damage to the property. That's the actual point, like, the Atlantic or the Gulf or the Intracoastal Waterway can just expand, completely overtake the property to a depth of up to 6 feet, then recede and leave the home habitable. In theory the cars are safe in this scenario because they, and the people, have loving fled. The house to the right appears to be the same, only with the garage at the front, which is a somewhat less stylish decision.

E2: Pic of an older stilthouse:

We get those along the coast of Texas, too. Galveston, etc. Where they are literally built on sand bars that change shape every time a hurricane comes through...

Discussion Quorum posted:

And here I thought it was stupid that here in Texas we have to* water our houses in a drought so that the foundations don't crack

* As I understand it, the effectiveness of this is questionable, but insurance companies and landlords often demand it

Oh, I'm sure it works if you water enough, but then your using a ton of water in a drought.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

just lol if you think they have ever cracked open a bible

It's Texas, and the South. They have opened the Bible, but just to select passages, usually Old Testament. "Jesus" gets invoked, but without understanding what Jesus was actually about.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Computer viking posted:

They're your weird ancestors, you get to keep them :colbert:

Izal?

Nuh-uh, I'm mostly German and French. Which I can't decide if better or worse.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Time to bring back duck-and-cover drills, 'cause that's an icy B.M.

:golfclap:

`Nemesis posted:

*in new construction. anything older than like what, 1980 is not using pvc.

*cries in 1964 cast iron that was replaced at great cost with PVC last year.*

Christ almighty.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

A whole bunch of cleaning, camera inspection, measuring and mapping out junctions etc. happens before you push in the big sticky tube sock.

Why you gotta go and phrase it like that?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lager posted:

One of my wife's favorite gifts I've given was a cast iron skull that lives in our fireplace and glows red when we light a fire.

Bad Munki posted:

That sounds rad and now I’m shopping.

If I had a fireplace...

Wait! I have a firepit!

PainterofCrap posted:

Water running down (PVC) pipes can make a surprising commotion. It's not fun to be having a quiet evening at home and it sounds like Niagra coming down the wall. Cast iron really muffles it.

I replaced most of my cast (as needed) and lead(!) with PVC and the sound of water draining through it, as heard from the top of my basement steps, triggered me for the better part of a year.

The move I've been seeing in various newer/renovated homes is to stuff fiberglass insulation under tubs, showers, and down pipe chases in the walls, on the back side of the drywall.

Can confirm - new PVC waste piping is a *lot* louder than the old cast iron.

canyoneer posted:

It's especially important to buy metal goods that you'll be heating to high temperatures directly from the producer. You don't want to be surprised by a low quality metal or a cast full of bubbles. You want to be sure that whoever smelt it, dealt it.

I literally can't decide if this is legit advice, or you came up with it just for that last line.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Not so fast.

Not for long.

canyoneer posted:

Worked backwards from the pun and it happens to be factual

Excellent. I applaud the effort.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

And that’s all on top of the fact that you’d have to live in Texas.

I want to be mad at you for this, but... yeah
:smith:

Orvin posted:

Just curious, but is this entirely down to terrible contractors? Or is some of it from lovely building materials? And if it is lovely building materials, did the contractor just go with the cheapest of whatever he could salvage from local dumpsters, or are there quasi legitimate companies delivering lovely and/or defective building materials?

I get that lumber isn’t always perfectly true straight. Any trip to Home Depot reveals that pretty quick, and that contractors may have to deal with slight defects in materials. Just curious if building materials are getting all around worse like most other things.

Nah. Most of that was just really bad measuring and cutting.

Nitrox posted:

I know this is totally crazy, but hear me out. When you find crooked lumber at home depot, just don't buy it. Buy the straight lumber, where available.

Building contractors don't get to go to the store and pick and choose. Typically they order lumber and it comes to the job site in the big strapped-together stacks you see on the racks at the store, with the loving ski slope boards hidden in the middle.

e: f,b.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

Ft Drum housing

That's a whole lot of work to avoid notching the shelves in order to come straight down.

kid sinister posted:

I got a feeling that would look more normal if the dryer were situated along the right wall.

There is no situation where that would look normal.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Texas, for one. All new construction for years, possibly decades.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I have a claim now winding up to a denial.
Policyholder’s bathroom ceiling fell in. Drywall was wet; insulation above it was saturated.

They were puzzled by this because the roof was replaced within the past year by…the roofer subbed from the solar-panel installation company they contracted. Said that they had to replace the roof (which is rolled asphalt/bitumen) before the panels could be installed.

Turns out the roofers removed the chimney structure completely, sheathed & rolled right over it. Leaving no chimney at all. It’s not entirely clear how exactly this happened.

In any event, the gas hot-water heater was venting directly into the attic space, which was only a foot or so above the ceilings below. But things really got going when they fired up the gas furnace last November…only took a couple months for the humidity to turn that space into an equatorial jungle environment.

The engineer I sent out confirmed that there were no roof leaks. The entire attic space was saturated by combustion by-product moisture.

The best part? They never replaced the roof! They re-sealed seams, and laid some patches here & there, and sheeted over the chimney base…but the insured paid for a new roof. Oh, and when the roofers demolished the masonry chimney structure below the roofline, they packed the flue with masonry debris.

How no one died, I do not know. I sent them the engineer’s report, and I imagine that they’re looking for a good lawyer. No homeowner’s policy covers this kind of thing. They’ve already paid +$10K for a new chimney.

The sheer amount of scam and grift in the above just stuns me.
I'm glad that I have a working knowledge of stuff like this, so it's unlikely to slip by me, but saddened that these scum dupe average people who trust experts and tradesmen to help them deal with things they have no need to have knowledge of.

skybolt_1 posted:

That story is just bananas. I don't understand how people can be so disconnected from their day to day reality that they wouldn't somehow grasp that maybe, just maybe, things weren't being done properly when they noticed a missing chimney. I'm really hoping that this was an absentee landlord or very elderly person scenario....

Also, I'll just leave this here as a warning to others.

I love how greed and capitalism have managed to mostly destroy something that could help us all.

I installed a video doorbell specifically so I could ignore or tell to gently caress off door-to-door salesmen (I don't handle face-to-face confrontation well - I envy people who can do that.)

Renovated house with butler's stairs left in place?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pro move would be to use a front loader and turn it 90 degrees so you can load unload at chest height from the stairs.

Nitrox posted:

When you have lots of fittings, but no pipe left on the truck

and you really love compromising engineered beams.

So sad that all of those stores are either remodeled into boring boxes or gone entirely.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

drat! I didn't even notice that part, but maybe because I originally saw it on my phone.

I only saw it first because of scrolling and how the page displayed on my monitor. The billion 45-degree joints are sort of dominating.

This poo poo always reminds me of a starter SCP-015
https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pretty sure that's just the underwater variant of SCP-015.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

I saw this abomination at an open house yesterday. They want top dollar for the house and its overall quality is pretty fairly conveyed in this one image.

It's also worth noting that while this looks to be on an exterior, it's because it's a porch that was fully enclosed, so this is inside the houses envelope.

shoeberto posted:

Can anyone in the know comment on how dangerous the gas line is there? It looks like one trip and your entire laundry(?) space is filling with flammable gas?

That much flex line is very much not legal in TX. They had to add more hard line when I had the water heater replaced to bring it up to code (from being installed last in the mid-'70s. Respect to that water heater for hanging on that long.)

I also love the unreasonably long stub on the gas line jutting out from the T.

edit: the Fry's in Dallas was cow/ranch themed. I forget what the Arlington, TX store was.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

The Arlington, TX location was "Warehouse" themed. I wish that was a joke.

Sounds about right. It's been a long time since I visited that location. The Irving, TX location (no theme) was closer to me, and the last one I visited before the completely folded. Last purchase: one tube of Artic Silver. With the condition the store was in (mostly empty) I was mildly surprised to find even that.
That location used to be Tandy Corp's stab at Best Buy/Circuit City, called Incredible Universe. Incredible Universe was pretty awesome, but Tandy was adept at ruining everything (see: Radio Shack.)

Arlington Fry's is a discount furniture place now, as I recall. Don't know what the Dallas one is. Irving one is just an empty store.

Nitrox posted:

Well, that's new.

So they just framed over grass and dirt, ran the plumbing and then poured concrete?

Soooooo, no rebar, no beaming, no skirting, and only about 2" thick. Oh, and the weight of the structure is actually on dirt, not the concrete, as meager as it is.

edit:

Arrath posted:

Its like the construction version of those math problems that pop up where they're obviously getting the order of operations wrong.

Yes, EXACTLY!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 21, 2024

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

What did they cut those panels with? Did they just gnaw them off?

Freaquency posted:

They’re doing a bit :ssh:

Ah.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

That picture is making me feel a lot better about the lovely job I did resealing around a window. Two sides reasonable, one side poor and of course that's the most visible one.

I loving hate using silicone.

There is an art to it (and I'm a hack...)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

But that's true? :confused:

Us Americans are all about the land, sea, and air wars!:freep:

Yeah, it's true, but it's punching down, as OP noted. Low-hanging fruit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Slugworth posted:

They ain't wrong

Your avatar just works with this statement.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Every tub I've seen the tile overlaps that flange, but I presume it depends on how the tub is designed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Backer board and tile is supposed to overlap the flange so that you don't get water behind your tile and loving up your wall. They either rip it all out now or in like a year when their wall is rotting from the inside out.

Sorry, yeah, I meant backer board under the tile, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Love catching my shoulder on the legs repeatedly while moving from the stove tot he counter and vice versa.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Feature, not a bug.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wheatpuppy posted:

Also: old stuff that has survived to the present was well-built in the first place. There was probably plenty of cheap crappy construction in the past, but it didn't survive so we don't think about it.

That's survivorship bias - the thing that makes us say "they don't build them like they used to". The truth is, just like now, some things were built to last, others weren't, but only the stuff that was built to last is, obviously, still there, leading to a false perception.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

See this? This is what Murphy’s Law is about. It’s not that if something can go wrong it will (that’s Finagle’s Law, more or less); Murphy’s is about if a thing can be done wrong, someone will do it if you don’t make it so they can’t. And sometimes even then. Murphy’s Law is the reason for polarized and indexed connectors.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

best explanation i saw for this was the builder hosed up the measurements so the rise was too small, so instead of cutting new stringers they did this.

I do think it's easily salvageable with bracing on the underside as well as risers. I think the design is visually interesting at least, and apparently well constructed even if done wrong.

The rise is the same whether the boards are there or on top, except for the very top and bottom steps.
Those stringers are precut from Home Depot or the like.

Platystemon posted:

What do you call these sinks that stick out the front of the countertop, and why are they suddenly everywhere?

e: Keyword is “farmhouse”.

e2: :barf:

I think they forgot something.

"What do you mean I have to 'do more than toenail the deck into the fascia board'? It's *fine*! Where's it gonna go?"

kid sinister posted:

The front fell off.

I think that's the back.
Perhaps they used packing tape?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Gas station bathrooms in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas, ft tool socks and hi viz reflective shoes.

wiegieman posted:

But this is art.

Yeah, I'm giving those a pass. Something had to be done, and that's functional and not awful.

The Dave posted:

Actually yes. Turned out our kitchen was really just mostly a porch decades ago and the foundation for the exterior walls were unmortored cinder blocks sitting on some loose shallow concrete and dirt. So no proper support and some unforeseen plumping issues had also rotted the poo poo out of the sill plate. On top of that the exterior walls were framed with 2x4s so we had to pay to support the existing second floor, excavate out, put up a new block foundation and pour a pad plus the time and costs to have that plan drawn up and approved by the township.

Original bid: $60k / 4 weeks
Current expected final costs: $120-130k
Timeline: 4 weeks in and have yet to begun the original scope

This is the kind of poo poo that makes me hesitate to start any home project.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

Is that wall 400 kgs (pounds?)? Cause they might just try to prevent people from stealing their shower fixture.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

good idea but the wall doesn't look like it's made of concrete

Now THERE's a freaking callback.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I would say those two guys need to sue whomever they got to survey their land before they built, but I'm sure they didn't.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jesusfuckingchristgetthatawayfromme!

Buttchocks posted:

One of my professors wrote his own textbooks, but instead of publishing them he just printed them out for us. We only had to pay $20 for the cost of paper and ink. Best professor ever.

Same. Well, actually, we paid the campus print center, but same thing. I really liked that guy. Coincidentally a physics professor. I still have those, because hey, physics! Also some math (calculus, diff eq.) and engineering (statics and dynamics, as I recall) textbooks, because of course they changed editions and were worthless to sell back, so why not keep them?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I majored and doctorated in history. What are these "textbooks" of which you speak? I haven't seen one since high school.

Well, back in my day, they had physical books in college, instead of the digital copies that cost the same, but are even impossible to sell back.
:corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Still better than that one where they toenailed the treads inbetween the stringers.