Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Leperflesh posted:

God yes. I mean if you have to tear open walls and poo poo to re-wire? Yes. It takes ten minutes to swap out a regular outlet with a GFCI one and you can buy contractor 10-packs of GFCI outlets for $78 so that's $7.80 per outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/Gfi-Gfci-Outlet-Pack-White/dp/B003SS5MH2

To put it in perspective, you couldn't even try to fish a new wire for less than $100, so that becomes a hell of a steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SoundMonkey posted:

WhiteHaus: Bulletproof Stairs

Given the stupid amount of armoring inside it, I wouldn't doubt that the stairs do in fact serve a role as armor in some way.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

PainterofCrap posted:

Fun Fact: mold is everywhere. it's in your house right now. Only when mold-house-party conditions converge: moisture, lack of light, and the right temperatures - do you see concentrations. Clean it up & move on.

I'd honestly be more concerned with old asbestos pipe insulation and popcorn ceilings or tiles becoming airborne than mold. Mold makes my shower curtain smell funny until I wash it, asbestos can legit gently caress your lungs up on the DNA level.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cartoon posted:

It's because:

A/ Our homes are inadequately insulated if at all.
B/ We're really stupid.

National case of occasional black-out-drunk alcoholism coupled with occasional coldsnaps? Anyone who passed out face down on their deck last night wakes up a corpsicle.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Haifisch posted:

Also people's intuitions about what improves parking & traffic(and what impact specific parking/traffic structures have on commerce) have basically zero relation to reality, and convincing them they're wrong is a bitch.

Trying to make roads safer by making them wider and straighter just leads to people driving faster & more recklessly, parking mandates waste a lot of space and make property more expensive, car-centric planning in general makes places less pleasant to live in(and rarely makes them more pleasant to drive in, counterintuitively enough), etc.

Traffic engineering and planning is like pushing a huge-rear end rock up a hill, only every time it falls to the bottom a different moron comes up to you and you have to listen to his lovely opinions on how you need to 'lift with your legs' or 'push it up from the other side'.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Youth Decay posted:

No seriously what the hell is that stuff and why the gently caress would someone do that to their house?

Someone saw the alien hive scene from Aliens and thought it looked really homey, and just really wanted that same sense of organic growth on industrial areas at home.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Serious answer the night scopes in most military equipment have germanium crystal lenses. I was a 94A and had to work on the Bradley's night sight.

High end IR lenses in the near and far IR are generally germanium or Zinc Selenide, but holy gently caress are optical purity germanium crystals loving expensive. Near IR and visible can get away we certain kinds of borosilicate glass, or fused quartz, lots of options there. The crappy 'night vision' lenses for security cameras use borosilicate, it's the same poo poo they make pyrex dishes out of.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is it possible to do what he wanted to do without using steel I-beams or something? I see he connected the cut-off joists to headers, presumably with the idea that the headers would transfer load across to (hopefully reinforced) joists to the sides of the hot tub. If done correctly, that seems like it maybe ought to work? I mean, it's a hell of a lot of load to put on things, but if they're using strong enough boards and the right brackets (which I assume they didn't; looks like they just used 4 framing nails per joist) then it might work? Maybe?

Assuming of course that the weight of the tub itself is supported independently of the joists. Also I can't imagine that they have a good strategy in place for dealing with spilled water.

Yeah, seems like he did it the correct way. He attached the cut ends to the frame and to the uncut boards on either side, for the ~3ft of span that should work out without issue. 7/10, would not duplicate, but would use without fear bodily injury.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
You can also get corrugated or metal roofing that looks like shingles from a distance, so you get all the joys of an easy to install metal roof, with the added fun of it not looking kinda odd compared to the next house over.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

FCKGW posted:

Hell yeah lets built our upscale, walkable community around an active dairy farm.

Once people move in and raise enough hell over the active dairy farm, they'll get it shut down and wow, more cheap land to develop on! Depending on the state, they could incorporate the township against his wishes, create a series of zoning laws, refuse to grandfather him in, then sue for failure to comply with the laws.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

StormDrain posted:

Nah, eventually the operators of the farm will decide to cash out on their own. Sell the animals and equipment at auction and the land to a developer for crazy money. It’s essentially a retirement plan for them.

Oh, eventually that always happens, but sometimes it doesn't happen fast enough for the tastes of the people smelling cow poo poo all day.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Slugworth posted:

You joke, but honestly even on wheels, moving those fuckers just a few inches took some effort. And moving them was enough of a pain in the rear end that the thought of moving them along with everything else I own just made me wanna die.

It's funny, it's one of those projects that seems easy until you start doing it, and then you've made 75 trips up and down the basement stairs and out to the truck with arms full of trays, and the bed of your truck is giant mess of trays that spit out screws every time you hit a bump, and your girlfriend is telling you that she's not gonna help unload these ridiculous things that she doesn't even understand why you need when you get home, and then you're like, poo poo, is this one of those cases where she's right?

A case of ziplock bags, a sharpie, and a bunch of flat rate boxes from the post office is the best answer. Empty bin into bag, sharpie label on it, toss into box, repeat. Easy to move, easy to label, and easy to unfuck once you're at your destination. It worked really well for me when I had to move my dad's collection of fasteners across the country.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hospital Admin: gently caress you, wash your hands
Doctors: I dun wanna!
Janitors: Haha, no choice now!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Thread seems overdue for a new title and this is a good one

I dunno, DIY & Hobbies › Crappy Construction Tales: Time to remodel the old family labyrinth also sounds like it could be a contender.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Proteus Jones posted:

A real-life Konami cheat code.

"Up, uhhh up, down down, uhhhhhhm, righ? *AHHHHHHHH WHACK THUD* Owwwwwwwww"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ripoff posted:

Are you pulling this from a newer digital multimeter with an auto-ranging display? If so, welcome to the land of capacitance and extremely sensitive electronics. Basically some other live wire in the area is emitting EMR and it's causing a "voltage" to apply to the line because your multimeter has such a high impedance on it that the line can't ground-out like with shittier, older multimeters. I'm not sure what the technical words are for this, but it was plaguing my lines around my house until I realized that the "voltage" is bullshit.

Strap an old-school crap-tacular MM on there and see what it reads.

My lovely Simpson 260 is still my go-to for this exact reason. If I need a stupid fancy reading on something, I dig out my o-scope.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GreenNight posted:

Depends if your swing needs to be rated for 500 pounds amirite fellas.

You can 100% pull out or break anchors designed for 500 pounds using a 120 pound perfect waifu, if you lift her up 6-12 inches and drop her into the swing. Shock loading and instantaneous peak forces can be way way higher than 500 pounds for the critical milliseconds needed to permanently deform or damage the anchors.

If you go by the ratings on the various bolts, hangers and attachment points at Home Depot, you probably want a 5x safety factor, just because falling 3 feet onto your tailbone would be very very un-sexy.

Also if that's not the new thread title, I will be very very sad.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Synthbuttrange posted:

Just load testing the wife iykwim

A teaspoon at a time?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

poemdexter posted:

But why would you want to?

Perhaps it wasn't your wife in the swing at the time?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The only hanging light fixtures I would ever get would be:

And they would only go above the pool table.

A super awesome stained glass fresco style lampshade featuring dudes playing pool, over a pool table would be amazing.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Liquid Communism posted:

Copper thieves are not known for their planning abilities.

They are known for their alarming lack for foresight and incredible conductivity though! Why yes, those 15kv feeder lines sure do look expensive, better get out the bolt cutters and steal a bunch!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, just cut power to that breaker box, and free bees and honey! Cleanup of the breaker box might be a problem though.

Constructive loss of the equipment probably. It's a pain in the rear end to clean electrical poo poo without loving it up, and honey is it's own joy to remove. Or if you're a service tech, scrape it with a handy set of pliers, fix the specific thing you were called to do, then leave it for the next poor fucker. Bees? I saw no bees.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

opengl128 posted:

LIVELAUGHLOVELIVELOVELIAGHLOVELIVELOCHEOIU78ty78t#ghLLVINFMLOVELOVLELOVIVLIE

The number of Live, laugh, Love wall hangers and painted on dinguses correlates directly with the number of Bota boxes of wine consumed by the household per week.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

schmug posted:

WTF is a sales engineer anyways? I always assumed it was something along the same lines as calling a janitor someone who works in the custodial arts.

Ideally a sales engineer is the guy who sits between the sale's guys slavish devotion to his quarterly bonus and the engineering team that are hunting about for pitchforks and torches to storm the sales area with. They convert 'we want facebook, but better' into 'ok, that'll be three years and 20 million dollars please', and generally act to pin down the energetically wiggling weasel words from the sales guy into concrete in writing deliverables (that are always changed twelve times before final product).

In reality, yeah, they're basically sales weasels that know just enough technical bits to over promise and under deliver, while being really convincing that they know what they're talking about.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Platystemon posted:

Heat sink, meet hot sink.

Now I kinda wanna get a 5-pack of those novelty stick on power outlets and stick them to the inside of urinals next time I travel.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Ah, the ol' Groan Throne

:lol: at thinking boomers are gonna remodel the interior of their giant gaudy gently caress-off McMansions to rent out to millennials that don't have money because of the economy they ruined

The real estate company the absentee boomer homeowner leases the property to will do that.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes, I can imagine sitting on the toilet taking a huge poo poo when the rollerdoor starts sliding upwards and the entire world is now watching me poop like something out of a nightmare.

Just own it. Start flexing, sit up straight, take a wide stance and greet the day!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Platystemon posted:

Electrical equipment manufacturers: what if we used a screw that could be driven by either a slotted or Philips driver?

Electrical equipment technicians: driving these things with either is a pain, but what if we had a driver that engaged with both surfaces?

I have that screwdriver and it's legit amazing for any of those stupid universal screws.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Platystemon posted:

It’s like if you have a dyke along a river. Rising water isn’t going to overtop it all along its length simultaneously and gently trickle down a face a kilometre in length.. There’s going to be one spot that happens to be slightly lower, and that spot is going to get overtopped and quickly eroded.

Diodes also are weird in that they'll want .7 volts across them no matter what, so when they get hot, they conduct less, so they steal more current to keep that 0.7 volt drop, so they get hotter so they steal more current, and very rapidly end up releasing the magical blue smoke in rapid progression.

The picture is less a useful thing that'll work and more a really creative incense burner if you really love the smell of fried power electronics.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Javid posted:

I want to build a thing. Is there a better thread for a "how do I make thing" question? As far as I know there's no actual code where it's going (homestead on undeveloped land in banjo country) but we would like it to not fall over on anyone.

As far as I can tell this is just a screenshot of a screenshot of a Pinterest post and there's no actual directions to follow, though I can pretty much tell what all it's built like.

Here's as good a spot as any. About the only thing I can say that you probably need to do is anchor the beams very firmly in the dirt, with a crapload of concrete, because there is no real way to prevent the entire structure from racking and falling the gently caress over otherwise.

peanut posted:

This thing looks nice. Please consider more opaque material for the roof because dead leaves and gunk are going to harsh your chill.

Clear works fine, just get a ladder and a pressure washer out every season. Also make sure the poo poo is robust enough to stomp around on without accidenting it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah there's an actual number missing from the street, even accounting for that.

People being upset that people built a house they don't like is what I'm not into. Enshrining it in authority is just the next step in the process.

I'm not sure there's a useful distinction between "you can't do this aesthetic thing" and "I'm going to moan that you did this aesthetic thing" in this context.

It's the reason HOAs exist, basically. Everything from "gently caress Cletus and his loving 'project car' that's been rusting on blocks on his front lawn for as long as I've lived here" to "The neighbors don't put their trash cans away within 2 hours of the garbage man coming, and that just won't do" can be enshrined in their bylaws and rules, no matter how retarded, unethical or abusive they may be!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Motronic posted:

But here's the problem: there is a title encumbrance on all of their houses for this. They are just a few busybodies away from a board takeover that makes their lives hell and their houses in jeopardy.

gently caress HOAs.

That's easy enough to avoid, set the bylaws to require 51% actual homeowner turnout in order to modify any rules or to levy additional fees, no proxies allowed. Nobody gives enough of a gently caress to actually show up and vote at a HOA meeting, so even if Octogenarian Hitler shows up to ruin things, they legally can't do poo poo except maybe change the newsletter font to papyrus or something.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Motronic posted:

You really don't understand the dynamics here. And that's okay, you don't need to. What you need to re-read is: title encumbrance.

If you understand what that means you should be properly motivated to not "buy" something in an HOA. Even a "good" one.

Oh no, I fully understand the dynamics of title encumbrance. It's like the story of the genie who requires you to sell it for less than you bought it for. As long as someone else is willing to put on gloves and touch the poop, you can sell your house. God help you if the poop(HOA) is so awful that they start to refuse.

But if you have an HOA, or a condo association, or an apartment society or whatever the gently caress communal living covenant thingy you like, making rule changes harder to pass than a constitutional amendment can make it hard for five old fucks to ruin it for everyone.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Leperflesh posted:

As I understand it, the ground's main purpose is to provide a safe pathway for the angry pixies to go, in the event that the neutral connection is broken but the hot connection remains connected. Tying the ground to the neutral at the box accomplishes this, as long as the neutral at the box is not broken. I believe in some cases the neutral at the box is grounded directly from the box, to ensure this works.

e. This also provides a pathway for induced current in the neutral to flow to ground.

This reddit post (yes yes I know) provides a reasonably thorough explanation, but basically: yeah that is OK, although ugly looking and the black wire should not have been used.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEngineers/comments/38ocy1/why_bother_having_a_ground_if_neutral_and_ground/

Neutral should only be bonded to ground at one point, generally the main panel for the house/building. If you run a sub panel to the garage or something, the neutral and ground should be kept separate, according to NEC.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I probably worded that first bit weird, we got an asbestos remediation contractor to remove it/test the air quality and the sellers agreed to pay. It wasn’t as much as I had though it would be initially, and I’m glad we went with removal over encapsulation.

Encapsulation is only a good idea when you A) Never ever need to gently caress with it ever again and B) it's like 3x cheaper than removal. Or C) You're pretty sure it's asbestos, but as long as you never formally check you never have to formally disclose it!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Elevators with threatening auras?

The elevator that makes noises that sound almost but not quite like "I haven't decided to kill you yet, perhaps tomorrow....".

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Slayerjerman posted:

Tiny houses are all fun and games until you have to drop a serious deuce in the bucket while your guests (or spouse) are 6 inches away seated in the “living room”. That’d be a deal breaker for anyone in that situation.

Make eye contact, establish dominance, offer them some bucket chowder?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

protectionfault posted:

With enough adapters, the ordinary homeowner can accomplish anything. And it might even work sometimes.

The permitting department around here is generally pretty easy to work with except for the rainwater drainage people, who are nuts.

Hey, my HDMI to garden hose adapter doesn't let me stream Netflix to my garden! I demand a refund!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

wesleywillis posted:

Permanent piss towels.....

...nailed to the entire wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

canyoneer posted:

there's a joke here about model year vs. mileage that i cannot bring myself to make

When choosing a previously used item, be sure to closely examine the wear and tear under the hood, just because it's a younger model doesn't mean it hasn't been used hard. Be sure to check for loose or sloppy fits on all joints and manifolds, and make sure that after a detailed, in ~depth~ inspection, that you're happy with the condition of your new....

P.S. "There's room in the back for two, three if you're willing to really wedge yourselves in there."