Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Neutrino posted:

I was a project manager on a storm water detention pond project several years back. As part of the project there was a large underground settling tank that needed to be built. This settling tank was 10ftx10ftx150ft so it was big. The contractor could choose the way they wanted to build it and instead of using precast sections they chose to cast it in place in one orgy of concrete pouring.

Setting the forms took over a week and was an impressive job and very well done. There was an impressive amount of reinforcing steel inside the formwork and to simplify matters the contractor did not leave openings for the pipe, deciding to come back and core the holes after the forms were off. (Red Flag!)

The concrete pour was an all day affair and went well. A few days later the exterior forms were stripped and the interior forms were going to be pulled the next day. Unfortunately the next day we had rain. When I say rain we had a storm of epic proportions. If you are familiar with a storm water detention pond, it is a place to hold water from a storm. It usually doesn't stay a pond except during storms and when a storm comes, it will fill up with water. This pond filled up with water fast and if you can imagine a big concrete bathtub sitting in a deep pool of water, what does it do? It floats.

This big concrete structure wasn't designed to be a boat but it tried. It started to raise and when the uneven lifting pressures grew to be too great it broke and sank. Nearby residents heard a large bang when the concrete shattered. Well over $100,000 of work was lost in one rain storm.

Holy poo poo, do you have pictures or an newspaper article on that? That had to be a sight to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Does the door open all the way if at all? It's like pee wee's playhouse.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I'd be very upset climbing those stairs only to see that bar sitting in front of me.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

RoboRodent posted:

Surprise limbo!

Either that or hop over it. There's no way I'm walking back down and then up again.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

(e: I don't actually think it's crappy but in this instance I would've gone for a hemispherical cup instead of a conical one.)

The real crappy part is that tiny rear end TV.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Enos Cabell posted:

I feel like your light fixture shouldn't be bigger than your tv.

This should be law. Also, I just realized there's an open flame next to the TV.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

sneakyfrog posted:

sooo you dont like ever light some candles around the house? is the tv explosive in some way?

I light candles around the house but they are tiny candles not full candlesticks and I certainly don't put it less than a foot away from a TV. I'd worry that the heat would do something bad over time.

Also yes, all TVs are explosive in some way. Checkmate.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

drgitlin posted:

I once foolishly melted a bit of our old tv by leaving a tea light candle underneath it on the mantle. :(

At least it didn't explode and level half your neighborhood.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

It looked smaller in the box (it's a kit):

Whenever you think you knew just how detached from reality goons were, this sort of post happens.

Also how in the gently caress is the size of the candle in any way related to the intensity of heat it puts out?

I dunno, how is the size of the flame in any way related to the intensity of heat it puts out? Maybe, because the wicks are different sizes therefore the size of the flame is bigger on a regular candlestick compared to some candle in a jar from bed bath and beyond or a tea light sitting in a cup on a restaurant table. But what do I know, I'm just some goon from the internet completely detached from reality. I just thought it was dumb to put an open flame next to a TV, but you do you.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

Candlesticks don't have wicks. Candlesticks have candles stuck on them.

You win this time Jerry Cotton. But next time...

next time...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I am so sorry for noticing the flame close to the TV. :(

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You can 100% pull out

But why would you want to?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Well I hope they got good money for leasing out that land.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the state that footed the repair bill.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

It's more that the modern definition of the word "castle" has evolved. People are fully aware that there were wooden fortifications, but we call them... wooden fortifications, or fortified manors, or just forts. Whereas the origin of the word "castle" is in latin "castrum" which just means "military camp" or "military post."

https://www.etymonline.com/word/castle

I'm sure survivor's bias comes into play in terms of there not being a lot of ancient wooden fortifications still being intact today, but even if there were gobs of them, we don't call them castles anymore.

You forgot to start with "Actually," for maximum technically correctness.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I never got past this puzzle in The Witness.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Bad Munki posted:

How much like it, was it the same cat?

I totally appreciate this subtle reference.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I bet the whole house smells like chlorine 24/7.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Tired: nails measured by pennies.
Wired: nails driven through pennies.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

FogHelmut posted:

My wife, who went to school for interior design and architecture and works as a graphic designer, has chosen shades of grey for all of the rooms in our house - after complaining that every room was a shade of yellow when we bought it. What gets me the most, besides the furniture also all being grey, is that the difference in the shade from room to room is so subtle. Under most conditions, you can't see the difference room to room. I'm sure that a board certified color scientist can verify the differences with advanced testing equipment, but for the most part under most lighting conditions, its all grey to me. I have to keep a spreadsheet of which can of paint goes with which room in case anything every has to be repaired.

There's warm grey and cool grey and if you pushed them together it would be completely obvious.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Mac Mini colocation was (apparently still is) a thing:

https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html

Playstation 3 used to be the most affordable GPU farming machine for a while.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I absolutely can not stand when realtors photoshop the sky in pictures

Yeah. The contrast is cranked up so hard on the first image that it looks like the wooden boards on the roof overhang have mildew on them already.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

there wolf posted:

There is an episode of that old Tiny House building show about this thing. I think the couple who did it are set designers? and they travel for work a lot so this was their solution.

My parents have their TV permanently set to this channel, and I totally remember this episode. You have to turn the sailing steering wheel thing to pop the roof up or something. I'm stunned it all works.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

canyoneer posted:

xpost

I started off horrified at the lack of eye protection and then ended up pleasantly surprised and entertained.

I don't understand arc welding at all. How did he not shock the hell out of himself holding that pipe with his face resting against it?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I've never seen wood flooring laid down with gaps. Do they plan on grouting the wood? I'm so confused.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Dear god why?????

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wish I could find anything more on this house:

This is the hill I will die on.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shut up Meg posted:

In which case: what the gently caress?

How noisy is that? It must sound like a burst watermain hitting an empty dumpster.

In the video it sounds loud as gently caress. Also yeah, you're pretty much taking a bath and hoping the 900 windows across the street aren't watching.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Grandma kickflips over the gap and then eats poo poo after her board hits the plastic bag of old rags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

opengl128 posted:

I legit thought that was a cat

Schrodinger's Plastic Bag.