Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
There's been some bizarre poo poo during the renovation of our house, but this one just baffles me to this day. Pulling down some 70s era wood paneling that had been plastered over, the one wall had 1x2s behind it, spacing the paneling out from the wall behind.

That particular wall was no different than any of the other 3 walls in the room, and I still have no idea what the hell whoever did this was thinking. Also, plastering over wood paneling without taping the seams = giant cracks on every wall. There was a lot of that half-assery going on around the house.

Oh, and no thread like this would be complete without the This Old House Home Inspection Nightmare galleries. They're up to 23 galleries now, and they're all this level of :wtc:

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
:tviv:

Hooooooooooooly poo poo.

Are those pop rivets in that joist? Why are there pop rivets in that joist? Oh god that doorway. :psyduck:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

poemdexter posted:

Does the door open all the way if at all? It's like pee wee's playhouse.

I think the door may be level and the wall's what's at an angle...? :catdrugs:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

GD_American posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for this link

:stare: indeed

Yeah, a lot of those surpass plain old laziness/sloppiness and plow on in to the fabled "how could anyone possibly think this was a good idea ever" territory.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

What kind of idiot would make a sill, and then have it slanted inwards? Ugghh!

The same kind of idiot who painted every single window in my house closed? :suicide:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

The contractor could have sprayed it with a real reserving solution (similar to the that green PT solution). Or he could have stained it or. . . so many options if you're already spraying it.

Guarantee food coloring is cheaper.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sgt Fox posted:

I also would like to see this horror.

Thirding. Especially the basement floor. That just sounds like a huge bag of :wtf:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

ibpooks posted:

I think he's into "muscle cars", although from what I've seen any of his prized treasures are no nicer than what you could find at an average car auction / junk yard. You know the kind: scoop poked up through the hood with tin snips, obviously homemade body work, paint job with over spray, spoilers and other aftermarket accessories with cheap fabrication / exposed rivots. A poorly rendered flashback to an era when his wiener still worked without medical intervention.

I'll try to get a picture next time I'm home during daylight hours.

Post pictures of the cars here, thanks in advance! :D

⇩ ⇩ Oh. Right. Barn for cars. :saddowns: ⇩ ⇩

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 25, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Venusian Weasel posted:

A couple of years ago, my parents decided the balcony on their back porch needed replacing. It was only about 15 years old at that point, but was really starting to sag in the middle. For some reason, the contractor had also used untreated boards to floor the deck, and the boards were beginning to warp and form gaps in the floor. That's some evidence the contractor was kind of crappy, and we've found some fun stuff after the construction like how-to wiring books in one of the bathrooms. Cutting corners seemed to be the rule of the day while the house was being built.

Anyway, after we'd pulled the boards off the porch, we found stuff like this:

:unsmigghh:

Dear lord. I'm pretty amateur at woodworking, but I'm pretty sure I could build a better deck than that without a problem. Did that guy do any planning at all or just kind of eyeball it and start chopping poo poo out of the worst wood he could find while hoping for the best?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

I mean isn't the majority of the buildout cost the physical labor, not the transmission media? So why not put fiber down instead of already outdated copper pairs (or soon-to-be-outdated copper coax)?

Because there's no fiber to the point where they'd have to attach the new development's fiber to, so it would be essentially useless and they'd have to put in coax/UTP anyway to have any connectivity.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nomination for Best In Thread, holy gently caress I'm dying over here.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

I'm in IT. That is not even remotely the worst network closet I've seen. :smithicide:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

TVs Ian posted:

Huh, my grandma used to have a bottle of that stuff in her house that she'd put on us whenever we got scratched or something.

Glad I didn't get injured very often while I was there. And that she only had one very small, very old bottle.

Hell I got that on all my minor scrapes growing up. It's chemical makeup is mostly not-mercury, and the usual solution is only 2% like it says on the bottle.

Also, still available most countries outside the US, Germany and France since it's wicked cheap and effective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merbromin

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

TasogareNoKagi posted:

So Aluminum and a polymer binder? Sounds like rocket fuel!

Don't give them any ideas. Soon we'll get nu-luminum lightweight panels, made like those polymer + sawdust plasticwood products, just with polymer & powdered aluminum. :supaburn:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I already have a Steelcase that somebody left out on the street three blocks from my apartment.

This.

Had it since high school in the 90s and its a fuckin tank. People should definitely jump on these if they can transport them.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
With "samurai" in the title, I was hoping he'd be using traditional Japanese joinery, and was not disappointed.

The awesome professor that ran the art school wood shop in grad school had a book on that poo poo and good lord, some of those joints were just mind blowing:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

They tried.

I'm going to assume those are just foot-flush urinals? The only failure I see is that only one has a paddle instead of the usual handle, but even then, that seems like a pretty cool setup.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I can't help but think my cats would be all

24/7

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

The place I work is a mishmash of buildings that have been added over the years. There are 6 2nd floors and none are connected. They all connect on the 1st floor and sometimes the basement which gets extra confusing even knowing what building you're in.

So, hospital or funeral home? Those are the two businesses I know of offhand that tend to seriously accrete over the years.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Edward_Tohr posted:

Bah, that bolt isn't even a little red!

It's not there to conduct electricity, it's there so that the breaker can't stop conducting electricity.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

It's a shop.

If you watched the video for ~10 seconds you'd see they'd done the entire house sans the office with a different color epoxy.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

I feel like I should frame this or something.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

This smiley is just the goddamn greatest :allears:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
To be fair to that terrible idea, they said the walls would be full of wood wool, not just plain ol sawdust.

Less problem settling, even more flammable! :supaburn:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

We had an anomalous current reading from one customer who had 2x the power going back over neutral compared to coming in over live.
Turned out the customer had tried to "bypass" the meter to steal free power, but obviously bypassing the live in parallel still left as much current running through through the meter as through the extra wire.

What are the chances you'd notice if they knew what they were doing and "bypassed" both? If I'm understanding it right, that would theoretically cut their power bill in half.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Intruder Mk II

I hoped this was going to be what I thought it was, and was not disappointed. :dong:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

I was counting kitchens in finnmansion and I'm not even sure how many there were. Love the contrast of the totally normal and minimist apartment on the top floor.

Yeah, the style switch gave me whiplash.

Also, I can't tell if the downstairs pictures have the HDR cranked up to 11, or if it just actually looks that way.

Those floors :psyduck:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

i think he is talking about the 2 free flying 4 pin molexes

Those are just push-in splices.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Slanderer posted:

I could go into the safety aspects of this, but honestly the biggest issue is that he has tons of mixed cells (you can't really tell until the end of the video, since he puts similar cells on the exterior of the packs, presumably for cosmetic reasons). Using mismatched cells of vary ages means the individual cells might have very different full charge capacities and impedance during charge and discharge. Even he does everything safely, this will impose a bunch of restrictions on the overall capacity of the battery banks, as well as their overall efficiency.

Otherwise, it looks cool as hell.

In that same shot, it looks like he has an absolute assload of extra cells though. I'd imagine it'd be possible to test each cell and bundle them in groups that share similar charge/discharge/impedance characteristics?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe it's real? But if so, how thin are those walls!

If you look at the left hand side of the window, you can see that the front wall that window is in is on top of the side walls, like you can see at the bottom edge:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Redeye Flight posted:

the Conservative party there in the vein of all conservative parties does not give half a poo poo what happens in the future so long as they control everything right loving now.

Profits next quarter > total global thermonuclear annihilation in Q3

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
This entire line of conversation was a joy to behold, thank you all. :)

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

I'm son of party hat.

Sup bro

:coal::hf::c00l:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Nooo it's gone

I got you fam

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Me: huh, weird layout but I don't get wha...:stare:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
The second, taller glass wall stops before it hits the back red wall, so you can get behind/under the lower stairs.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

That's awful, but my cats would love the poo poo out of it.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

I appreciate a great concurrence between username and post. :golfclap:

Also, that makes sense. I cant speak for building roof drains, but in designing dams and large retention ponds, a similar principle applies: You have the normal system to cover usual drainage and then a backup overflow system which exists to get water out ASAP in case of emergency (or crazy Biblical Ark level rains) to prevent a catastrophic failure.

Also the benefit of the one pictured is, if it does start pouring out the overflow, it's immediately obvious that your normal drains are probably clogged and/or underrated and you should probably do something about it before your roof caves in.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Q2pw4v6.gifv

e: I thought I was in the OSHA thread but Im leaving it.

That is hella fuckin cool though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

I thought molten metal plus water equals explosion???

BRB

E: :supaburn:

I think there's not actually water in there, just the spheres themselves are water-gel-things?