Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've never seen them and wanted to see at least some iteration of them before they call it quits.

They called it quits in 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

I did see High on Fire open for Meshuggah a few years back. The people I was with were there to see HoF and weren't thrilled about how they sounded, but Meshuggah's sound was normal, so I had a good time.

With the exception of Monolord, Stoner stuff has never done much for me, and Matt Pike is disturbingly sweaty, which definitely didn't help...

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I described Gaerea to a friend as a murloc with bronchitis that occasionally screams "BALTIMORE." They weren't, uh, good, but I enjoyed their show. I have no idea how my opinion would have changed if I'd ever heard of them.

I don't understand why vocalists do this. Do they think we don't know where we are?

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Vargatron posted:

Children of Bodom is the best power metal band

This but unironically

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

ShoogaSlim posted:

it would be fun to just see the band names but not the genre. i read through these posts and see the genre and they somehow always feel like they fit 100% with the band name.

It's hard to beat naming a tech death band "Elitist"

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

ShoogaSlim posted:

gang tag??

I'm not thrilled about legibility at this size due to video effects. Someone with more skills than me could probably assemble a gif from ~5 frames and timing, or maybe it'd have to be done from scratch, I dunno

Visions of Valerie fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 29, 2023

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Don't spotify, but last.fm so far says Katatonia, Blut Aus Nord, Rosetta, Рожь, and Wolves in the Throne Room.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

joylessdivision posted:

https://youtu.be/batYCsseqaM?si=W-pQmyUbVX4vFCXn

How do you gently caress up a cover of "Black Metal" this badly?

Oh right, it's Dimmu Borgir in 2023, that's how.

I think this was a bonus track to the Japanese version of In Sorte Diaboli so that'd be 2007-era DB: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Dimmu_Borgir/In_Sorte_Diaboli/479876

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

I only really like the Angela era. After her departure, the music has felt flatter - not just vocally, but nothing melodically has grabbed me from the new stuff either. :shrug:

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

mosh however you like imo just don't loving stage dive

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

ShoogaSlim posted:

idk that time for death song sounds like if the b-52s had distortion pedals

you say that like it's a bad thing

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Woods of Yeezpres

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiwyqMmYDN0

lmao this is incredibly stupid.

i love it.

(BustaSlamz)

I love everything about this especially 7:46-7:48

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Spanish Manlove posted:

On a scale from 14 to 88, how wary should I be about any black metal I come across on Spotify that's in Russian? The guy from Olhava has a playlist lovingly called "this is woodgaze" and I'm really enjoying it but can't shake that feeling.

If a search finds nothing problematic, it's not worth worrying about. Absolute moral cleanliness is not attainable - objectionable people will make music that you hear sometime, even if it's like Ace of Bass or some pop you got from the radio.

I'm troubled by this attitude of all one country's music being Nazi-adjacent (be it Russia, or earlier someone mentioned this for France, and Poland is another common target). By all means run google translate or whatever over languages you don't speak, but tarring an entire country both misses that fascism can arise anywhere and denies space for its opposition.

Anyway. As far as I know, Olhava, Рожь/Rye, and Trna are reasonable and oppose the invasion of Ukraine and make good tunes.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Henchman of Santa posted:

but these stereotypes about some national scenes have a basis.

I don't think you're going to agree, but: I do not think that whether stereotypes "have a basis" affects whether we ought to act on them, knowing that they are stereotypes and not fact.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

H13 posted:

https://blabbermouth.net/news/its-official-slayer-reunites-announces-first-shows-in-five-years

Slayer Reunited

Weird considering all of the shade Kerry threw at Tom and stuff when the first song from his Slayer album came out.

so which of Tom or Kerry do we think is out of money?

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Have a bunch of busywork to do today at my job so im listening to music. Goddamn Saor is so good.

truth

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

the best Åkerfeldt album will always be Brave Murder Day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Glen Benton, edgelording? What a surprise.