Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

Is it worth keeping the chicken bones from a pressure cooked stew (specifically, this recipe for making stock, or is it likely to have already extracted most of its flavour and body? The resulting stew does feel a bit gelatinous, but since the actual bone isn't directly simmering, I've been freezing them for a batch of stock.

It's unlikely that it will hurt to throw them in your stock, unless they took on weird flavors from the previous stewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

I don't feel the need for it so much anymore, but when I was starting out, I wanted a book like that for a long time. Something that would take me through all the basics of cooking techniques that I could work through like a workbook, so I could finish and feel like I had a handle on the basics. The closest I ever found was Ruhlman's Twenty, but I don't know that it's beginner-friendly enough.

Actually, I kind of wonder if we could create something like that online, on the wiki or something. GWS' Twenty or whatever, a more stripped down version of that concept, aimed at getting people started.

I'd contribute to such a wiki in any meager way I can. It makes me sad to see people come in here who didn't learn to cook from family as children :(

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

I do medium-high on a gas stove with 80/20, on cast iron, using kenji's smashburger method.

Personally I prefer 2 thinner patties compared to a thicker patty. More crust = better

There are methods of doing thin patties on a griddle with water. I wonder if you could do that in a cast iron.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

I got a hand-me-down Lodge dutch oven and I'd like to use it. Preferably something that will produce a good amount of leftovers that'll keep for a bit since I mostly cook for my lonely self. I've flipped through a couple cook books and Cook's but nothing is jumping out at me. I eat pretty much anything and I don't mind something labor intensive or higher skill level. I've made beef stew, chili, and risotto recently so probably not one of those. I've been hankering for Indian recently maybe something along those lines? Help me write my grocery list!

Chicken stew.

Also, pork tenderloin guy, this is the best way to prepare pork tenderloin I've ever had:
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11897-twice-cooked-pork-tenderloin

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

In that article, Kenji says

Screw that. You don't get these steaks a lot, so take the time with them. Reverse-sear all the way -- it's not harder, just takes longer. Bonus, your house will smell amazing for hours.

I had no idea Kenji came up with the method from cook's. I was going to suggest the same thing, though I will warn that it's significantly slower to do 2.5 lbs in the oven to 125F, like, it took an hour last time I tried it at the recommended oven temp of 275F.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to use browned ground beef with some fat poured off in a Texas chili recipe instead of steak or chuck? I have some 80/20 frozen that I want to use up for chili. Here's the recipe that caught my eye, if you're interested: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017160-texas-style-chili?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Did we have a Superbowl thread this year?

I have some left over shredded chicken from making soup, and my party guests have demanded "buffalo chicken dip". Any recipes?
I already have some Franks on hand, so I think I can cobble this together on my own, but I thought someone might have a good recipe.

Cream cheese, some sharp cheddar, Frank's and the shredded chicken get combined in a small baking dish. Bake at 350 until it's hot and bubbly, serve with Fritos or tortilla chips.

I think the Frank's bottle actually has this recipe on it, which you might want to check because I'm not sure how much Frank's you want to use exactly. Regardless it's dead simple and your guests probably don't need you to make anything outrageous if they're asking for buffalo chicken dip.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

... no blue cheese?

I'm not particularly fond of blue cheese but as the above poster said, perhaps you would want to serve some of that on the side.

I have my own question, can anyone suggest an alternative to salt pork in the Serious Eats cassoulet recipe posted recently? My butcher didn't have any yesterday and in case they don't have any today, I need a backup. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

My local grocery store is having a great sale on pork chops and I'd like to stock up. Can I freeze the pork chops in a marinade (soy sauce, brown sugar, touch of olive oil and spices) or do I need to freeze them untouched?

I wouldn't recommend it, you're just adding more liquid to freeze into ice crystals and ruin the texture of your meat. It's also been discussed at length here recently that time in a marinade is pretty much irrelevant, so you probably aren't gaining anything by putting them together. It would be easier and maybe less messy even to freeze batches of marinade and then the pork chops separately.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You can use a scotchbrite pad or steel wool to refinish your cast iron. Or get SiC paper from about 600 to 1200 grit, polish from coarse to fine for a factory-quality finish. This will require some serious re-seasoning though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I've been using a small culinary creme brulee torch to take care of some spot blackening. Can anyone suggest me something more badass and bigger that's more efficient?

Should I just buy a blowtorch from Home Depot?

Of course you just buy the loving blowtorch.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Whenever I do a pot roast I generously salt the meat with kosher salt and brown it really well in a pan at the start, this works really well for seasoning the meat and makes both the meat and broth much more flavorful.

Yeah, this is super important. You need the Maillard reaction to produce much flavor from the meat, or else it's going to taste bland. Salting generously is also important.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Very little water actually comes out of the cells themselves. Salt dissociates into Na+ and Cl- ions. The Cl- ions bond with proteins that run the length of muscle fibres, the Cl- ions repel each other, and this causes the fibres to spread a little. This allows water that's trapped inside the fibres (but isn't sitting in cells in the tissue) to be released. It's the same process by which water is introduced into meat during brining, for example.

Got a source for this? I'm curious.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Soy sauce, fish sauce, L&P, anchovy paste, Braggs liquid aminos and the stuff in the little yellow bottle I can't remember the name of right now Maggi seasoning are all great umami boosters. When a dish needs a little oomph or depth of flavor, I always go for one of those things.

You can also bloom a packet of unflavored gelatin in stock/water/what have you for an easy and huge umami boost for your soups and stews.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Eeyo posted:

Cleaning related question - Is picking up a lot of Stainless Steel normal for Barkeeper's Friend? My girlfriend got some rust in her Stainless Sink (I figured it was just some low-quality metal) and I hit it with some BKF since I figured that was the right tool. When I looked at the towel I used to scrub it was very grey, like it had removed a lot of material from the sink surface. Does BKF normally turn grey from SS it picks up? Or am I dealing with some pretty soft metal?

There are two types of rust, Fe2O3 and Fe3O4. The former is your familiar red rust, while the latter is black in color which, when mixed with the white powdery stuff, gives the grey appearance.

Don't worry about your stainless, either. It's similar to aluminum in that the protective oxide coating is self-healing with time, though it's much slower (because chromium diffuses to the surface much more slowly than does aluminum).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm making broiled Cornish hens with lemon and balsamic vinegar tomorrow, and I'm planning on serving it with some risotto. I'm not sure if the risotto will stand on its own or if I should add some veggies to it (I was thinking asparagus would be good), or if I should just do a separate veggie side. Suggestions, anybody?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

More importantly don't go to take a piss

Hopefully Pontius Pilate is still lurking this thread. If he doesn't tell, I will.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

fickle poofterist posted:

Ok no response, so please tell

I don't recall which type of peppers he was cutting, but he didn't get his hands quite clean enough before taking a piss. When I got there about an hour later, there was a glass of milk on the bathroom counter and, for some reason, I knew I should NOT drink that.

EDIT: actually I have a question of my own: can I substitute cream or half and half for milk in a basic pancake recipe? This is unrelated to the previous story.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 13, 2016

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

Yes for half and half, just reduce the amount of oil/melted butter that you add to compensate.

I ended up running out for milk and syrup, but I'll keep this in mind in the future. I'm constantly frustrated by recipes that need milk as I don't drink it and thus almost never keep it around.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Pretty much ditto this. Marinade for chunks, sauce for a full piece.

My dad used to play around with injection and it was pretty good, he'd squeeze a little cajun butter or something into a few spots inside a chicken breast or something. Worked rather well, especially with pork chops.

I did some mild Cajun spice injection into a couple turkeys I deep fried for Christmas and thanksgiving. I found that it lent some flavor to the surrounding meat, but the crust still carried most of the flavor.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I got a pork loin. What should I do with it?

Do this, it's really easy and super delicious. It's basically loin steaks pan cooked with a simple cream sauce you flavor as you please at the end: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11897-twice-cooked-pork-tenderloin

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would that work for normal loin too?

It might be better even, you'll have bigger steaks. You'll want to adjust cook times to a bit longer for the meat, too. Ordinarily the shape change would be a problem but since you're slicing into steaks it should still cook evenly. The pork should brown up nicely, and don't be afraid to keep the pan coated with butter (the remaining butter will just enrich your sauce).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

Just posting to say I tried this this evening and it was really good!

Glad you liked it. Goes great with roasted Brussels sprouts tossed into some risotto, too, especially if you do the Dijon version (love me some Dijon and Brussels).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Nicol Bolas posted:

HEY--Anyone wanna talk estimating food needs for cooking at volume? Some folks are coming up in July and it looks like there's gonna be 20 people all staying in this huge airbnb. Since it's near me, we're driving up, but everyone else has to fly, and since it's up in the wilderness, I (along with the other 2 locals) have volunteered to help cook some of the meals.

Basically: How do I estimate how much food we will need for a long weekend? I've done Thanksgiving for 30 before so I'm comfortable prepping vast trays of food, but that's a weird holiday where you make a billion things and people always brought stuff. I've got some menus in my brain that are quick and easy for our handful of vegans / vegetarians who are coming, I bake a lot so bread and pizzas are on the menu (and will be very cheap and easy to make in bulk) but the real question is quantity. How do I estimate that? How many pounds of bacon do I plan to buy if we're doing bacon-egg-bread type breakfasts? How many tortillas for taco night? How many pounds raw pork shoulder do I buy for pulled pork? You get the gist. I don't want too far over or under in terms of how much food we buy to eat. Are there tools out there to help estimate this? Rules of thumb? Alcohol is way easier to estimate than food, I think.

How much would you make for 4 people? Multiply that by 6 to allow some breathing room and you're golden.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I made this with the cream from full-fat coconut milk instead of heavy cream, because I had the coconut milk cream on hand. It didn't homogenize well at all. Did I mess it up by turning the heat too high? Is there any way to fix it or prevent it in the future? Do I just need to go and buy some heavy cream?

The pork came out delicious, and the sauce tasted pretty good, it just looked like crap.

If I'm going to trim the pork loin at some point during the recipe, when should it be? I'd like to get rid of some of the veins of excess fat. It's cooked so the fat is nice and soft, but there's some dime-sized pieces around the edges that are too much.

I believe your coconut milk cream was too watery to come together, but I'm not a sauce expert and I hope someone else weighs in. Typically the cream warms and mixes with the water at first, then slow simmering and whisking for 5-10 minutes thickens it up a bit. If you're adding mustard, that will thicken it some, and it will come together even more as it cools. I would try again with whipping cream and be gentle with it for 15 minutes or so.

As for trimming the fat, I usually just cut around any excess fat on these bad boys. Since they're a fairly regular shape and the fat is mostly at the surface, I don't mind cutting it out on my plate. And you've seared all the sides of the tenderloin steaks nicely so you're not sacrificing much crust anyway.

I think I just wrote more words about the recipe than the recipe even has

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I made some boneless skinless chicken thighs yesterday. I treated them like breasts, but they are a lot different. How should I cook them?

Chicken stew. You should be able to scrounge up the Cook's Illustrated recipe for it somewhere online.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

I understand if you've never cooked chicken before, but surely once you have an idea of how long things take and what cooked looks like, you can forgo the thermometer? I've never used one, and I sort of think they're for people who worry too much...

If you own a food thermometer, and you should, even if by your rule you only use it the first few times to figure out how to cook something to temp, then there's no reason not to do the easy step of using it every time and protect yourself and your guests from getting sick. And your food will taste better. You can hit medium rare every time!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Or salsa. And ketchup. In a slow cooker. With mindflux's tears.

Speaking of cooking chicken thighs, how should they be handled on the stove? I generally don't cook much using the oven or a grill, since I don't have the latter and constantly set off fire alarms with the former, but I'm a big fan of chicken thighs and I want to learn how to make them more often. Should I use some kind of dry rub on them and panfry? Are they meant to be broiled/baked?

e: These are boneless skinless thighs, if that helps.

Chicken stew, only uses the oven to cook the stew after you've added a ton of liquid so there should be little to no smoke involved.

Here is the recipe. It's incredibly flexible and you get a ton of flavor and meatiness in the gravy from the onions, which disintegrate by the end of the cooking. I like to use Bell's Winter White Ale when it's available in place of wine, partly because I love that beer and it also means you get a bit more leeway with the time you boil off the alcohol. Some other white ale or Belgian would also work for year round availability. I also have added frozen peas and pearl onions before which adds some more color and texture.

http://hipfoodiemom.com/2014/11/05/you-need-this-in-your-life-best-chicken-stew-and-a-cookbook/

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Nicol Bolas posted:

I wish, but unfortunately they are all mixed up--no separating yolk and white.

Squeeze an empty bottle, put the opening on a yolk, and let go.

I never thought this stupid life hack actually had a practical application.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I got some fresh morels from the farmers market today. Do I need to wash them before I sauté in butter, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, then finish with heavy cream for a pasta sauce? Any recommended changes to that plan?

Edit: should add I'll be roasting some sliced fresh asparagus to toss in as well. And I think I have some salmon my gf's parents brought over that she wants me to use. Okay, actually I need a salmon recipe now too.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 8, 2016

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Any reason I can't dump pulled chicken ingredients in the slow cooker bowl in the refrigerator overnight, then start it the next morning?

None whatsoever, unless you have some ingredients that will get gnarly overnight.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Goatfather posted:

Anyone have experience cooking for someone w/ crohns? My cousin's kid was just diagnosed, and can't have dairy or gluten for sure. It's almost impossible to find good answers on the internet what with all the trendy self diagnosed gluten intolerance. Is the gluten ban likely specific to wheat, ie would rye gluten maybe be ok? What about nut flours, amaranth, etc? Would all of these have to be ruled out as triggers first?

Are you confusing crohn's with celiac? Afaik crohn's doesn't necessarily require a gluten free diet. I'm open to correction though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

So I took some egg whites out of the freezer a couple weekends ago and forgot all about them

Are they still useable? I was gunna make macarons

Were the eggs pasteurized? Then they're probably safe.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Does anyone have a real good cassoulet recipe? I have some killer confit de canard.

Also ReelBigLizard, please write some more! I really enjoyed your writing so far. :)

Another goon and I have each made kenji's recipe and found it incredible: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

This was just eh for me. Maybe I messed something up because I never got a crust, and the chicken and sausage were overcooked at the end of the suggested cooking time.

The gelatin is key to the crust, so if you didn't use that then it's a must, unless you're using homemade stock that practically turns to jelly in the fridge. I didn't notice any overcooking, but the depth and intensity of flavor in the gravy/broth/whatever that mushy, creamy bean liquid is outshined the flavor of the chicken to me, anyway.

I try not to judge a recipe after just one attempt, but the effort involved in this one could be very discouraging. I hope you try it again! Another tip for the crust formation, I suppose: keep the oven shut as much as possible. Don't check on it for longer than suggested if you're having trouble getting a crust.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Put orange zest in your graham cracker crust. It goes really, really well with the creamy richness of the cheesecake.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If I can reasonably eat chili for two weeks from the fridge then I'm busting out both of my slow cookers this weekend.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
How long does chicken broth in the original container keep in the fridge after it's been opened?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I ended up using some better than bouillon, which is a hell of a lot more convenient with an electric kettle than it used to be. My chicken risotto with peas and pearl onions turned out to taste like pot pie filling, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I suggest thinning your barbecue sauce with water and reapplying liberally during the broiling. Heavy, thick sauce has a tendency to burn.