Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm tasked with making some polish food for Christmas and I am unfamiliar with the cuisine. Especially regarding what would be palatable for a majority of people. Would most people find a beat based vegetarian borscht with uszka good or should I not make authentic polish and just use common Polish ingredients like a sauerkraut and whatever sausage dumpling and sour cabbage and meat stew.

^^^^

Duck, always duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

If you have a Sur La Table near you, they let you try out their knives. Try a few boners in different sizes and see what feels good in your hand
Same with a William Sanoma

Also thanks for the two suggestions. Kielbasa is unfortunately covered, I love the stuff.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

This weekend I want to do a chicken ballotine and incorporate some of the fresher fruits (do we have a seasonal ingredients thread?) and have a few questions:

Is it intelligent at all to do a ballotine in the puddle machine and fry after, similar to a turkey porchetta or will the existence of a stuffing make it nonviable.

/e Nevermind the above, I can't read!

What'd be the best method to incorporate strawberries in the stuffing? Or would it be best to do a more traditional stuffing and make a sauce or glaze with say strawberries. I feel this is more lazy and missing my intent for the dish though, but I also think I'd need to add nuts into the stuffing if I use a fruit which I'm not the biggest fan of.

Or just any suggestions for a great summer fruit meal. I never really ever cook with fruit, I don't like sweet things, but reasons dictate I want to do this.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 9, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

And the original question was specific to the sansair :rolleyes:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

nwin posted:

Holy poo poo I hate my gas oven. I made pizza on a steel a few nights ago, let it preheat for a good 45 minutes, and it did not get nearly as good a crust as I'm used to with the electric ovens I've used in the past.

And the broiler!? Just a small flame at the top where I had to use my peel to bring the pizza 1/2" underneath it so it would melt and brown the cheese, and I still had to constantly move it around-it just wasn't radiating that much in a large area, more direct heat.

Any tips to not make me hate this thing?
With a steel and 'za preheat for 40 or so, have the steel on the top rack, use the broiler for 10 with the door slightly ajar (not sure if this is relevant for a gas) then go back to normal heat and put the pie in about five minutes later.

The top rack steel and bottom heat source will cook your toppings well enough and the broil preheat will give you a better/crispy crust. I get my pie cooking time down to 4:20 with my electric using that method but ymmv

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I want to make kickin rad garlic butter dipping sauce because I'm fat.

I'm thinking of making a butter from cream using garlic salt and a bit of granulated garlic, but throwing in some olive oil (maybe a garlic olive oil?) towards the end to thin it out and an emulsifier if it breaks.

Good idea, bad idea?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iirc it's risky for around 1 in 20k eggs.

Even better.
vvv

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DerLeo posted:

Are there any interesting things I can do with a pomegranate that aren't: eat it, make a lamb glaze, or use for salad?
It's good to throw in cocktails.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pizza dipped in ranch is popular in the midwest.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Heat = flame. The background light might be such that you can't see it, but it's there. Dome/cover the cheap grill and you should see the flame. Some cheap grills will light only a portion of the heat elements though.

Also, if you smoke or even if you don't, you can always try to burn something disposable to confirm the flame.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you don't loose arm hair dumping a chimney you're doing it correctly.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bone broth!

Or more seriously, toss it in some soup for some added yum.

^^^
Aluminium one will likely have the handle bend on you. Get the cast iron, I have no experience with wood.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

turbomoose posted:

I have some beef stock I made a bit ago and want to use it to make something, but i don't really want to make soup. What are some other things I could try that are a bit more substantive, maybe something like shepards pie? I'm not a whiz in the kitchen but I can follow a recipe. If this is too open ended yell at me or ignore it. Thanks!
Braise something, maybe osso bucco or make a gravy for poutine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

chaos rhames posted:

I've got a big bowl of fresh homegrown grapefruits. Does anyone know a good marmalade or something? I'm not eating them outright like an insane person.
Why is that insane? Grapefruit is the best citrus to eat straight.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Can you get those MRE chems that will heat up water? If so you could get some vacuumed stuff and heat that up quick. Whether you do it yourself or like the tastybite things.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There's a http://slickdeals.net/f/7919847-all-clad-online-vip-sale-up-to-76-off deal going on now for all-clads.

Non Sticks shouldn't be going above medium so I'd just grab an Ikea one or two and replace after a year unless you need one for induction, in which case get an all clad non-stick. Use wood/plastic only and it'll be fine. Performance based non sticks are a bit of a sham IMO as it'll only take one night of being really drunk/careless/stupid loving guest to ruin one regardless of price.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

d3rt posted:

raw eggs, no cream and no canned peas. doesn't sound very authentic to me.
I'm pretty sure there's no trolling in this thread. Please stop.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Woof! Woof! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW2kilumXJ4&t=46s

I'm working on a replica dough for traditional midwestern cracker crust pizza.
Most recipes do not feature yeast, obviously, as it would limit the "crackeriness" of the dough.
But Pat's Pizza, one of the more amazing producers of this style of pizza, notes in the above video (timelinked) that his dough production process lasts 5 days, kills the yeast, etc.

This flat dense but crisp/flakey crust is pretty nuanced, and very much part of the style - but I've no clue how to make it using yeast. Yeast significantly improves the flavor of dough, and I'd love to have that flavor. What will happen if I let dough rise and fall? How long does it take for yeast to die, so that when I beat a dough down it is no longer going to rise? Does anyone have any insight on this technique?

Even thoughts may help, I'm willing to do the experimentation, just want a second opinion.

He is likely using misleading terminology. Heat is pretty much the only way to kill yeast and you could kill it with the method SubG mentioned using hot water but imo...

- Use a lower hydration dough, this will not allow it to get very springy (~ 50%) or lower.
- Use more fat than your normal pizza dough, maybe 10%
- Normal Salt
- Normal Sugar if any.
- Bread flour

After four-five days in the fridge the yeast will be pretty retarded. Pull it and let it get back to room temp, roll it out paper thin then fridge it again for a few hours to to retard it one last time. Don't be afraid to use more flour. I'm not well versed on the implication of fridging it again but it seems to be necessary to mimic the youtube method and with the higher fat content it may help it get more crispy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rubs

I also think someone posted something about either onion powder or garlic powder having some type of unique interaction in baking. I cannot find that again though.

Found it

http://www.pizzatoday.com/industry-news/dough-snapback/

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 10, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yes

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's like sex, you just gotta do it. If "how do I cook" could be answered in a single post it'd be a very good post. I'd just be wary of over salting as that'll make things inedible but also don't be afraid of salt or it'll be bland poo poo. Season in increments for most things. A thermometer will help you from making meat pucks until you get a feel.

See http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649287 for super general info and how to take photos! (ignore the photo part)

If you have netflix there're a few episodes of Good Eats which is great for beginners and I'm sure there are some good youtube channels but I'm not sure what those might be.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kalista posted:

This recipe is a little involved, but the result is worth it, AND the sauce itself is amazing. Save and freeze as much of it as you can and then use it again in everything. I'll probably make it again this weekend just to have more sauce.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-enchiladas-food-lab-recipe.html

Agreed, I've even used the sauce as a pizza sauce and it was well received. SV a breast and with the sauce you have the laziest ever taco filling.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Most salsas and bruchetta

/e - loving pizzas man

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What method are you cooking it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

midnightclimax posted:

Cooking? I put the pizza in the oven.
You'll get a more dense but even crumb and more surface contact from using a rolling pin as you smash out significantly more co2. There are times you'd want to do one or the other, but it doesn't matter when you're tossing it on the oven grate.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I do post bacon or whenever I have a good bit of fat in the pan. With just a bit of butter or oil I prefer something that adjusts to heat faster and won't get hot spots. Sometimes I fry an egg in stainless to get a good crisp too so ymmv

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

sharktamer posted:

Are ceramic pans good as non stick pans?
I haven't used them but it seems they do not last nearly as long as non stick.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can make an even more peaful guac by replaceing the avas with chickpeas and olive oil too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

Best you can do without learning to make a roux.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

At the moment you're breaking your cheese which is the biggest problem. You could also resolve your issue by throwing in some Velveeta with your cheddar (I believe they use sodium phosphate) which will have the same result as the sodium citrate in the modernist article. Some older grandma recipes even have tossing a slice of a Kraft single for the same result.

/e- Also processed cheese can be amazing. Nothing like a grilled cheese with a kraft single.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 9, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That Works posted:

Anyone got good recipes that feature / use a large amount of honey?

Wife bought a giant bottle from costco but we had another big stash of it already that was hidden away so now I've got a ton. I know it will keep for a while but figured it would be fun to try something new / see what you guys thought.
Make some honey syrup for cocktails.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pizza pizza pizza.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That'd be like Sherlock not being offended by an offence of Watson

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's just toasted flour and I'm not certain how it avoids clumping in water to thicken.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sure. As long as it hasn't gone through multiple defrost/freeze cycles and smells fine. The texture at the freezer burn site may not be super.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They expect you to have a cord leading out the front of the fridge so I wouldn't count on it materializing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science allows you a method to get the Food Lab (tm) content without navigated a terrible web 3.0 interface.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Can you mute the verbal communication protocol if you get tired of hearing it
With a knife.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Bananana posted:

So what would happen if I put a half frozen turkey into the oven at 200 degrees for like 36 hours?
You would have a dry lovely turkey.

/e- to thaw quickly use water baths.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Reharakhti posted:

I think it's a ghost pepper, since I ordered a bottle of hot sauce for my brother that has ghost pepper in it.

What would be a good way to use this?
Make some kickin rad chili powder or rehydrate it to use the liquid + pepper in some sauce/soup. Ghost peppers have a real nice smoky flavor.