Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on cooking with tofu and eggs? I tried googling it and all I was getting were links to replace eggs with tofu, instead of cooking with the two of them :downs:

Actually I'd like some tofu recipes in general, the main things in my diet are linguica, chicken, rice, eggs and jalapenos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been making plans for a homemade pizza, and well I loving forgot to pick up yeast and by the time I get back to the store it'll be closed :suicide:

So while I rewrite my shopping list for a trip tomorrow and make sure I put yeast in big rear end letters so I wont forget it again, whats a good blend of cheese for a pizza? I picked up some shredded mozzarella but I figure just plain mozzarella would be boring and I should mix in some other cheeses as well. Also I plan on cooking on this, should I also pick up some cornmeal to put onto the cooking sheet?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SubG posted:

I don't know what else you're planning on putting on the pie, but you'd want to pair the cheeses with the other ingredients. That said, don't buy pre-shredded mozzarella unless you have some bizarre medical condition that prevents you from shredding cheese yourself, like not having any hands and not having any friends with hands that would shred cheese in exchange for a slice. Why? Because any time you buy shredded cheese you're a) paying too much, b) getting low quality cheese, and c) getting cheese with a bunch of random other crap in it to prevent caking.

You can use cornmeal, but I personally don't gently caress around with it because that poo poo gets all over the place. I assemble the pie on parchment on a half sheet pan, use the pan as a peel to transfer the pie into the oven (onto a stone), and then yank the parchment out from under the pizza after about a minute. You could do the same thing if you're planning on cooking on a sheet without a stone.

Toppings I'm using is canadian bacon and pepperoni, also I'm using BBQ sauce instead of pizza sauce. I didn't realize buying preshedded cost more (I have never really looked at the price of a block of cheese), but I do have the same medical issue tarepanda has. One day I'll buy a block, later that night I'll want a snack and just stuff the entire block down my throat :ohdear:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright I made my first ever homemade pizza:

I can imagine a fair number of you look at this and your stomachs are turning. Family did enjoy it, but I know I hosed up in many ways. I could of definitely put more cheese and toppings on the pizza, and I feel I should of stretched the pizza out more. My main issue that I'm not too sure on is the crust itself though. It was basically pizza toppings on a giant round slice of bread, family suggested that maybe I should of spread olive oil onto the bottom of the pizza which would help make the dough crispy. Here are my steps:

Made the dough by mixing in flour, yeast, warm water, half a tablespoon of sugar, a teaspoon of salt and about a table spoon of olive oil as all were suggested by this video (I didn't use the goon with spoons wiki as all of them suggested using tools I do not have or can get a hold of)
I kneaded the dough for about 5 minutes till it stopped becoming sticky and rolled it up into a ball, I then let the dough rise for about an hour and a half in a big bowl covered with a damp towel.
After that I rolled the dough around a bit, then used a rolling pin to roll out the dough flat. After about 5 minutes I then made the pizza circle shaped, and added my toppings. BBQ sauce, a cheese mix of 75% mozerella and 25% cheddar, canadian bacon and pepperoni.
I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and tossed it in there for about 12 minutes. I thought of cooking it longer but the cheese melted and I didn't want it to start burning.

Any tips? I plan on trying again tomorrow. What I really want is for the pizza crust to be a bit crispy and not basically bread.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Is that picture from before you cooked it? Because if not, my tip would be "cook it"

No that is actually after cooking it. Guess I should of cooked longer then.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright day 2 of making pizza, let me begin by saying I'm loving terrible with working dough. I kept adding water and flour cause the dough would be this slimy glob or this completely dry ball that has terrible dandruff. Thanks mom for finally stepping in and making the dough for me :unsmith:

However such gently caress ups made so much extra dough that I made 2 pizzas this time. Ingredients are the same as my last attempt. For the first pizza I covered the entire pan with olive oil as my family suggested that may heat up the crust and make it more crispy, also my oven's max is 550 F which I cooked the first for a little under 10 minutes:

It is probably hard to see at this angle, but the crust was a bit hosed here. One half of the pizza was low, the other puffed up for like a solid inch of crust. I don't know how, I rolled the dough evenly before cooking :psyduck: Also while the outer edges look brown and crispy, pretty much past the edge the crust was soft.

Here is number 2, this time again my mom stepped in after seeing how frusted I was getting flattening the dough (have I mentioned I'm loving terrible with working dough?) and she certainly flattened this thing up for me. I didn't put any olive oil on the pan this time cause it didn't seem to make a difference for the last pizza.

If you're wondering what the hell that white stuff is its ricotta due to someone's earlier suggestion; I would of added more but my brother wanted some and I don't know if he'd like it so only my half got it :v:. Pizza was pretty much even throughout, no hosed up geography of this pie. Again though, after the outer edges the crust would then go soft. When I pick up a slice I want it to be straight out like an erect member, not :flaccid: like what currently happens.

Again, probably cook time. Next time I cook a pie I'm going to look under it before cutting it and if it looks like bread I'm tossing it back inside. As for people suggesting a stone, I am extremely poor. I'm unemployed, I'm living off the kidness of my folks (and they themselves aren't well off) and I literally collect cans and bottles (as well as my remaining tax refund) to get myself food that isn't the ramen my parents will provide me with. I can't justify buying a pizza stone right now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

You can get a pizza stone on the dirt loving cheap by getting an unglazed stone tile from a home improvement store. I don't recall the best sort to use, but that's what basically everybody recommends for both quality and price.

No loving way? Wow, alright my parents work with a merchandising company (That I also used to work till.. things happened) and someone high up in 7-11 says he has a hell of a lot of unglazed tiles we can have for free. I'll just tell my mom to add another foot by foot measurement for the tiles.

mediaphage posted:

Also, are you cutting your pizza on top of your metal pan? Don't do that.

Nope, not doing that. My mom set me straight on never cutting things on the pans, I take them off and set them on some tinfoil to cut them up. I do still have a glob of dough leftover, so definitely gonna try again tomorrow and cook a bit longer. I guess I'm just terrified of burning things so I pull them out quick without a second thought.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Quick question, how long can I keep dough in the fridge before it goes bad? I've wrapped some up in plastic wrap yesterday, don't think I'll be using it tonight. If it would go bad by tomorrow though I'll go ahead and use it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tried again tonight with a pizza, I figured since on average I've been cooking them for ~12 minutes, this time I'll go for 15. And uh..:nms:

And the worst part? It still loses its crisp past the edges :negative: I guess its actually a good thing since I can eat this, just not the edges. Next attempt I'm going to try precooking just the dough by itself for a few minutes then adding the toppings.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Quick question, I've got some precooked linguica. I want to cut a few links up and toss them onto a pizza, since it is precooked is it safe to throw it straight onto the pie as it cooks or should I cook up the linguica first and then add it?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
^^^ Bookmarked

Lately I've been interested in making some of my own sauces, I found this recipe that I swore was on this site but I can't seem to find it again. I don't know if I saw it in this subforum or in the YLLS one in the "getting swole in the kitchen" thread (I tried looking there and couldn't find it), but it was a recipe for homemade ketchup. The poster noted how it wouldn't be as sugar intense as store bought ketchup (which makes me think it was from YLLS) and it also had a bit of a spiciness to it. Does anyone know what am I talking about or did I imagine this post? And if I didn't, anyone have a copy of the recipe?

Secondly, I really want to make my own sweet mango habanero sauce, the kind that Dominos has. I am absolutely in love with this sauce, but when I asked Domino's for a recipe they gave me an automated response. I guess they thought I was complimenting the sauce or something :confused: I have a list of whats in it, I just don't know how to prepare it. And as shown from my previous pizza experiments I'm quite terrible with guesstimating. And I'm sure I can cut a few of the ingredients out as they're preservatives, I just don't know which ones.

quote:

water, sugar, corn syrup, vinegar, orange juice concentrate, modified corn starch, mango puree, jalapeno peppers, spices, lime juice concentrate, habanero peppers, bell peppers, onion, salt, garlic, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 18, 2013

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright, should have money in by tomorrow so I'll buy enough stuff to try out both recipes. I'll buy a bit more to experiment with as well, thanks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been having a craving for some fried chicken, thing is I can't afford to go out and have someone make it for me. So I decided I should try making some myself, looking and stuff online though I don't think I can do it. Every place says to use a non stick pan and I've got none of those, also they call for a large amount of oil and well.. I don't got too much oil, and if I did I would of just used my deep fryer instead. So would it be possible to do the following:

Mix up some flour with pepper and chili powder, then chop up saltines mixed with some chili powder and pepper and put these in two separate bowls. Then in another bowl crack some eggs into it, coat the chicken breast in the flour, then dip it into the eggs then into the saltine mixture then add some oil to a skillet and just cook it like that?

Again, I don't have cash and I'm just using what I got at the moment which isn't much.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Seems there is a change of plans, I swore the chicken I had was thawed but no, it was just taken out of the fridge so its still frozen. I swear there was some chicken that was in the fridge for a few days but I guess I was wrong, so I go without handling my fried chicken craving for another night. I'll keep in mind what you both said, and I wont bother with the saltine thing.

When it comes to what is bought though, its not really my choice. All of my grocery suggestions get replies of "You can have an opinion on what is bought when you GET A JOB LEAL", so no one listens to what I have to say. Hell having chicken is like an early christmas present for me, a nice change from the ramen and eggs (and thats only cause my neighbors give them to us for free) my hosts so kindly feed me. Luckily I'll be moving at the end of the week where I can get a job...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright here is the result of my chicken:

Didn't make too much cause if something went wrong well at least I didn't waste much. I made the flour blend with paprika, onion powder, pepper, chili powder and chili pepper flakes. I did the egg wash, flour, rest, egg wash and flour. I cooked in two batches (used a small skillet), the lighter batch is my first batch that I wasn't quite confident in cooking and kept flipping constantly. Darker is the second batch that I was much more confident in, figured it took roughly 2 minutes on each side to cook and only flipped once.

So how did it taste? loving awesome, who needs to eat out anymore for some chicken? Brother also loved it, so thats good. I definitely could of like doubled the spices I threw into the flour mix though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

Does anyone have the link to that thread on making marshmellows that was on this forum I think a few months ago? I been thinking about altering the recipe for nutella marshmallows but I want the basic one before I change it up yknow?

Was it this one? You need archives.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3094275

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How long would you guys think a pound of cooked ground beef would last in the fridge? I'm thinking of grabbing a chub and making some poor man's sloppy joes to give some variety to my diet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Schmeichy posted:

I'd give it a week max. You could freeze half for later.

That'd work great, I live week to week. Ideally I'll finish it off within 5 days

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Do you have any way of buying ground beef in other than "chub" form? I only ask because those are rather notorious for having food safety issues.

Would the.. square plastic "plates" with plastic wrap around it be better?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If I were to cook chicken then shred it up for sandwiches later on, how long would it last in the fridge?

Second question, would I get food poisoning if I grab some shredded chicken that was refridgerated for a few days, throw it on a sandwich and stuff it into a bag with a single ice pack and left in a car for 4ish hours?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm fed up with my roomies taking bits of my food, I mean besides me knowing they are doing it cause I buy just enough to last 2 weeks and keep counts, now they aren't even trying to be sly about it. Opened a new loaf yesterday and made a single sandwich, tonight half my loving loaf is gone.

So I got this 4 tier shelf in my room, any precautions I should take in throwing bread, chips and cereal on the top tier? Like would I need to cover them from the sun, would it be better throwing it on the third tier instead? Would they be more attractive to ants and other like pests being out in the open like that?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have a pound of ground beef, the sell by date was yesterday and I was originally planning to get it cooked today but I just had a 14 hour workday and am about ready to pass out. Would it be safe for me to cook up first thing tomorrow? I'll smell it of course, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Also I had another pound that I froze when I couldn't get to it one day after the sell by date, its been in there for over 2 weeks now, will that be good to go still after I thaw it out or should I trash it? Or again, do the sniff test but don't be too hopeful?

Originally I bought the second pound cause I didn't want to wait to unfreeze the first to cook it but then things changed, ever had to cover over 150 miles of territory cause one coworker quit and another took a trip to another state? :shepface:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I was putting dishes away today and noticed this on my pan

My loving new pan, what is this black poo poo anyways?

Oh, it came from my new spatula. Thanks my brother's girlfriend's mom, I too see nothing wrong laying a non metal spatula on the rim of a hot pan. So what would be best to get this crap off my pan? I tried scraping it off but its doing a far more better job of scratching the metal then actually removing the... whatever material my spatula is made out of.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Any recommendations for a honey sauce for Chinese style honey chicken? While I am looking for a normal (not spicy) kind of sauce getting a spicy version as well would be nice.

If it matters any I'm coating the chicken in cornstarch and frying that, and serving it on rice.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

I don't know how new you are to cooking but just in case DO THIS WITH THE VENT FAN ON OR A WINDOW OPEN. And do NOT rub your eyes with fingers that have prepped the chilis. Let my beginner mistakes be your lesson. I once accidentally maced my whole house.

\/\/ That too, don't get it too hot. Medium low is a fine temperature. Just be patient when heating the oil. \/\/

As an aside, soaking chicken in tabasco isn't as good of an idea in practice. I too have cleared out the entire house cooking this stuff. That must be what it feels like to have a tear gas can fired towards you..

But at least the chicken was spicy :haw:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Just don't overnuke them, as they will literally catch fire and burn merrily. Smells terrible.

I can attest to this. I remember when I was younger my friend and I thought "Wait, if we melt chocolate chips we can make HUGE CHOCOLATE BARS!". The smell, dear lord the smell.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I bought some mushrooms and want to cook them all at once and store them, about how long would they last being ziploc'd and thrown in the fridge?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Perfect, these should be gone by then. Gonna throw mushrooms on everything :getin:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So, forming patties and storing them: Does freezing them really matter? I recall Wendy's making some big deal that their beef isn't frozen, does that actually effect the meat at all? I was planning on buying a few pounds of beef, making pucks, laying them between wax paper and chucking them in the freezer and taking them out as needed. I work at a grocery store though so if it actually effects the quality I have no problem just buying ground beef as needed, I just wanna be lazy and not have to form a patty every time I want to burg.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

What I have been doing if I'm making hamburgers for more than say, 2 people, is just buying the pre-formed patties

Burgers are just for me :btroll: I do a lot of work though so I'm trying to minimize prep time so I'm not tempted to just get take out.

While I'm talking about prep and storage, how long would chicken breast last in the fridge? Would lemon juice or teriyaki effect storage time?

E: Oh and sealing my frozen burgers, would tossing them in a freezer ziploc bag and squeezing the air out work?

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 1, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Weird open-ended question- what do you all make for breakfast during the week? I'm sick of eating the same one or two things every morning before work but also want to eat something healthier and not just cop out with a bagel every day. A couple of good breakfast recipes that can be cooked while half-awake would be much appreciated.

I throw some oil in a small skillet and toss some mushrooms in, after about a minute or two I throw in some ham and let that cook for another minute or two. While thats going on I scramble some eggs then pour it directly onto the mushrooms and ham and let that cook for a bit until its read to flip. Caveat, I never successfully flipped this so its just some complicated method of scrambled egg so it generally gets tossed into a tortilla with some cheese.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone got a recipe for a sauce I can use to cook/add to zuccini, mushrooms and broccoli that'll be dumped onto a bed of rice? Ideally something that isn't salted to hell.

While I'm asking, I recall someone suggesting using deli style jalapenos and mayo to make a kick rear end sauce, anyone got a recipe for that? I wanna kill this jar of jalapenos soon.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I made an awesome teriyaki chicken and mushroom tonight, will the mushrooms wilt or get nasty if I store them as leftovers :ohdear:

Also is there a recommended recipe book or website for single person cooking? All these recipes assume I'm a family man or am fine eating the same thing 6 times a week :saddowns:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone have any experiences with an air fryer? Only using enough oil that you need and not having to deal with excess oil seems like a good deal if I want to fry stuff.

JawKnee posted:

it's this one, GIS will confirm it

Why do these anime babes have penises drawn on them?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Probably our favorite use for it is personal pizzas, they bake up great.

This is actually very tempting. When you did cook frozen fried food did they taste as good as if you put them into a traditional deep fryer?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I decided nuts to the air fryer, any recommendations for a crock pot to cook for 1 plus leftovers (and maybe if a potential Mrs Leal comes around)? I wanna make pulled meats, chilis and soups mainly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Goons you have recommended an instant pot to me and I love it, so much simple pulled meat! Now I come with another request, I'm looking for a blender to make protein shakes with. Not looking for anything too fancy, just something reliable and durable for a single person.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SubG posted:

There's a product recommendations thread where this has been discussed many times.

You mean there are threads that are outside my bookmarks?! But thanks, I should take a look through this as I'm trying to expand my cookware.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Just eat it by the spoonful like a real man.

Just spoon it in and pour steaming hot water straight into your mouth.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I thought the proper way to cook a steak was to microwave it for 45 seconds then throw it on a hot skillet for 30 seconds per side to get a crust cause actually cooking a steak is haram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
2 questions:

1: If I were to make an egg burrito and keep it in the fridge for the next day would the eggs taste absolutely terrible?

2: I have some cans of tomato sauce and was going to use it in a meat sauce. If I added it while simmering the meat and sauce together would the mushrooms come out cooked or am I better off sauteing them separately?