Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Nephzinho posted:

I've got some truffle salt and truffle mustard from a gift set I'm not sure what to do with. Any bright ideas? I've been using the honey as part of a ravioli + hazelnut + brown butter dish, and the oil in a number of things including bread, pizza, and crustini. Right now I'm tempted to just put the mustard into my next batch of burger sauce, or throw it on a hotdog outright. Salt nothing jumps out at me as obvious and am paralyzed by "don't waste it".

Put the salt on popcorn and many potato variations (fries, oven fries, bakers, roasted chunks, sweet potato versions of these, etc). Basically anything you'd salt at the end anyway.

Use the mustard on a ham and brie sandwich. Anything ham, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

feedmegin posted:

I mean, also this for basically any dish. Practice makes perfect!

I dunno, I have a lot of fun picking a random new recipe and bringing it to our weekly brunch potluck. It gets a little Iron Chef/Bake Off in the kitchen sometimes though as I run out of time and have to futz with the recipe to get something out the door.

...but that potluck is not a high stress event and I'm not trying to impress anyone and it won't be the only food there... So it's not really like anything discussed. But it does let me feed my addiction to novelty!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Does anyone have a killer chickpea salad recipe? I love chickpeas on their own with a bit of salt, but every time I try a cold salad (like the Mediterranean one I see in searches) they taste weird.

We're eating cheap this month, and I have a fair bit of dry chickpeas to go through. It's also getting hot, and I don't want to warm up the house too much running the stove or oven. Fortunately, chickpeas and an instant pot are best friends.

Any ideas?

Chickpea avocado smash (quick & easy)

Chickpea Waldorf Salad (I leave out the onion and cut down on the cayenne. Everybody I have made this for loves it.)

Chickpea of the Sea (it's missing a bit of something, but I find when I make sure to eat the sandwich with tomato slices it works out)

Braised Coconut, Spinach, and Lemon Chickpea Stew (this one's better with lime)

My "oops I'm out of black beans" eggy quick dinner: warm chickpeas in a skillet, add eggs at some point, remove when eggs are as you like them, cover with a bunch of salsa & devour, with a tortilla if I have it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

TheAardvark posted:

Can anyone recommend some cooking resources for people looking to lose weight?

I've never had any luck finding a low-calorie oriented version of something like, say, Serious Eats, quality wise. I look at it like a good vegan/vegetarian restaurant - taking a meaty/high-cal dish and going crazy to fit it to a diet is never going to be as good as focusing on things that fit the category in the first place.

I don't think I know of any sites like that. Skinny Taste is ok for recipe sources. Honestly just searching for vegetarian/vegan/whole 30 recipes will get you pretty far too. Avoid cheese & oils and a lot of the calories get cut.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Nicol Bolas posted:

I can't believe this is a struggle but it is. Is there a soup container on this Earth that is microwaveable and actually leakproof? I actively do not want insulation here--I'm want to be able to batch up soup and take it to work from the fridge. I also do not want my bag to smell like tomato bisque for six months again.

Edit: I would also settle for metal to get that good water bottle tight seal, just so long as it isn't insulated.

Another vote for canning jars. Ball even makes leakproof reusable plastic lids for them now. I haven't tested them beyond chia pudding levels.

I also like the Rubbermaid ones linked above; used them for years and haven't had a problem.

If you really can't find anything, get a roll of Parafilm and wrap it around the jar/lid junction after closing. We would do that all the time in the lab and everything stayed inside that should have.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

A friend of mine swears she suddenly "got" it while working on a farm and moving a flat of cilantro seedlings, so I try cilantro every time I have a chance in hopes that one day I will suddenly "get" what everybody else likes about it, but it hasn't happened for me yet. She was pregnant at the time so I still kinda half believe that it is totally genetic and her switch was just pregnancy stem cell magic, but maybe someday I'll be a cilantro-liker.

I have had multiple friends who hated cilantro flip around to loving it from pregnancy. They all started out disgusted at it but just felt compelled to keep eating it, and eventually they started liking it. Maybe part of it was an exposure thing, maybe part of it was all the hormones, but either way they enjoy it now!

lodie posted:

i have some chicken breasts that i was brining for ~24 hours with the intent to grill them, but it has been pouring. is anything disastrous going to happen if they sit there for two days instead?

It'll be safe to eat, but if you've got acid in the marinade it's going to make them all mushy and gross. You can just take them out of the marinade if you're worried about it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Penzey's is excellent and they give away a ton of free poo poo. Sign up for weird rambling emails and wait for a good bargain including things you want

Yes, this. I spent $7 this weekend on two jars of spices and will be getting 4 jars free. Plus a poster, a pin, and stickers.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Finding a beekeeper at the farmers market has worked for me. They aren't subject to a lot of regulation where I'm at but one thing they do get audited on is sales so it's probably more legit than not. Also I found a guy whose farm I drive by a lot and there are hives there so :shrug:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

TheCog posted:

As part of the CSA I'm a member of I'm getting so much zucchini and summer squash. We've had it on pizza, we've sautéed it with balsamic vinegar, we've put it on pizza and served it with pasta, we've made zucchini bread, and put it in red curry... what are some interesting things I could do with zucchini that I haven't tried yet?

Zucchini and squash au gratin

Calabacitas burritos (my favorite way to use up a bunch of it, recipe is very flexible)

Puff Pastry Zucchini and Squash and Cheese Thing (no recipe, layer slices of veggies with melty cheeses--be sure to include some goat cheese-- then bake for a while)

Also I really like chocolate zucchini bread if you are looking for other bread varieties. Makes delicious muffins and you can leave a lot of sugar out.

Squash pickles sort of like bread & butter from a lady at work:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I got nectarines in my latest produce box and they've been sitting in my fridge for a few days because I have no idea what to do with them, and also my wife is allergic to most pitted fruits which I think includes these. What can I make with them?

Tarts, cobblers, roast with pork/chicken, salsa, eat out of hand, make into a sauce and put it on gingerbread with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, eat with fancy cheese, freeze slices for the winter, put on yogurt or cottage cheese, cocktails, make a sandwich with it and bacon and brie...

So many uses. Do you want sweet or savory?

Also don't feed to your wife.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

So I'm having a tooth extracted and replaced tomorrow, and need some suggestions for completely smooth soups. I'm in enough pain right now that I'm having trouble getting inspiration, so would love to borrow some.

I have a good blender, pretty high skill level and budget, so pretty much anything is on the table. Thoughts so far are a really good tomato bisque, a thicker Tom Kha, blended baked potato soup (bacon greese, not pieces). Anything warm, smooth and high-calorie is welcome.

Thanks goons.

Roasted cauliflower soup! There are a ton of recipes depending on your preferences (keto, vegan, lots of cheese, creamy, etc). It's easy to make it low cal so stick with the cheesey and creamy recipes for sure. (I'd give a recipe here but I've never had the cauliflower make it past the roasting stage in years as we were too taken by the smell to make it a soup.)

My husband has had a lot of extractions and implants, and the below is his favorite soup for those times. Add in heavy cream or coconut milk at the end to make it higher calorie.

Pumpkin Curry Soup

• 2x 15oz cans of plain pumpkin
  • 4C chicken or veggie broth/stock
  • .25C honey
  • 1 tsp table salt (more or less depending on if your stock is salted or not)
  • 1 tbs your favorite curry spice mix, more or less depending on your tolerance for it after oral surgery
  • Heavy whipping cream or coconut milk/cream to thicken/make pretty

Add all ingredients (save the cream) to a stockpot, mix, and heat until it is hot enough for you. (You can also use a Crockpot and leave it for a while instead.)

Add pretty swirls of cream when plating to make it a little thicker and get some calories in you.

(When you are ready for bread again, this goes great with rye!)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

The Bananana posted:

Ok, but which is better?

If you use biscuits you better make sure they are good by themselves. I was served shortcake with what felt like day-old biscuits and it was sad.

I personally like angelfood cake best, if I don't have time to make drop biscuits. I don't like strawberry shortcake to be overly sweet though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Guys, it's called strawberry shortcake, not strawberry angel food. Let that be a hint.

I recommend cream biscuits.

I also recommend berries that aren't strawberries -- like raspberries or blackberries -- and way less macerated than usual.

Guys, it's called strawberry shortcake, not "berries that aren't strawberry" cake. Let that be a hint. :colbert:

I love all berries and those sound delightful too

I 100% agree on cream biscuits, though, those are delicious.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

EVG posted:

I'm fond of Pearl River Bridge for soy sauce (both light and dark).

Tortilla Press suggestions? Also best tortilla holder (not one of the microwave warmers, just one of the ones to keep 'em warm). I've been using a clean towel but would like something I can actually set out on the table. :) Should I just go for one of the bog standard plastic ones?

Re: tortilla holder: It's maybe not pretty, but you can probably find a way to make it so. I have a Ranmaru stoneware straight-sided bowl that's wide enough to hold them, and a matching saucer I put on top. I fill it up with boiling water for a few minutes to get the bowl warm and it works nicely.

effika fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 8, 2019

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I have a heavy 4-cup granite mortar & pestle and it takes two seconds to make any quantity of spices. Unfortunately I can't leave it out on the counter and can't lift it well (forearm issues lately). My sister got me a little porcelain one and it takes so long to grind spices my forearm ends up hurting anyway!

A one-cup size seems about right. I see a lot of marble ones, but wonder if those aren't as good as the granite ones.

I just need a teeny granite one.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I have a four cup granite mortar and just ordered a one cup porcelain. Could I have just used my big one for tiny spoonfuls of spices?

Yep. I do small quantities of rosemary all the time in my big granite one.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

What can I do with canned french green beans? I grew up eating them, I like them with some butter and fried onions. Something about that mushy texture is so nostalgic for me, it was the only vegetable I liked growing up. Anyhoo, I went overboard at the last canned goods sale and bought a few too many cans. Same with corn. What's good for using up canned goods? It would also be great if these recipes didn't use an oven, mine is terrifying and I haven't turned it on since about April because it heats up the whole apartment.

I haven't tried this, but it's on my list. It's from a blog that tests old recipes. She finds a lot of duds, but this one appears to be a win and doesn't use an oven:

Surprise Dip

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is a thermapen worth the cost jump from the thermopop?

I use a thermapen all day every day at work and would hate to wait to get temperatures.

That said, I keep having to RMA their very newest model. I bought 7 for my employees and we've sent back 4 of them so far. There's something wrong with the sleep trigger. The older models are fine and cheaper.

Also if you're only taking temps once or twice a day a thermopop is fine. I bought a thermapen for home use because I can't go back to the waiting.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

captkirk posted:

Here's a question for y'all: how would one gaining an appreciation or at the very least a tolerance for blue cheese?

Try putting a milder one with something sweet; bleu cheese & pear salads with candied walnuts were my gateway to liking bleu cheese. Then I started trying it on those seeded date crackers near the cheese counters, and eventually I got to just liking it all by itself.

Now I crave funk in my cheeses; lemon stiltons I used to think were "too much" are just barely tangy enough and most of the brie I can easily get feels so... :geno:

edit: I did find a goat brie that's actually pretty neat and has a taste, so that's fun.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Ego-bot posted:

I made some cranberry sauce last night and it didn't thicken at all. Can I put it back on the stovetop to reduce and add pectin, or do I have to start from scratch?

It usually doesn't turn out well when I make it, so if someone has a recipe that they've had success with, I'd love to see it.

1 bag of cranberries
1 cup of orange juice
.5 to 1 cup of sugar depending on your desired sour factor
.25 teaspoon salt
1 tsp powdered ginger (optional/to taste)

Put everything but the cranberries in a 4qt pot on the stove over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved, then add the cranberries. Stir the cranberries and watch for the mixture to start boiling; you want it boiling it not terrible so. Stir the mixture until nearly all the cranberries are popped. Decant into something pretty and serve or chill.

It is delicious warm and gooey, but will thicken up to be more of a spread in the fridge. It'll never reach canned log consistency without extra gelatin or pectin, but I do not suggest you go for that.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

finally going to make a purchase at penzys and i'm wondering if any of their special blends of spices (or regular ones that i've overlooked) that i should consider getting?

I like their Bavarian seasoning a lot.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Make sure you get fish that's been frozen for parasite destruction or farm raised with a parasite free diet.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Question for those more experienced with cheesecake making - is there a good way to keep my swirl cheesecakes from cracking? I've tried all the usual methods, room temp eggs/cream cheese, as little beating as possible to keep air from getting in, having the springform sit in a pan filled with water to help even out the cooking, etc.

Generally I do a blackberry swirl with just smashed blackberries, some brown sugar, some cornstarch, and strain to get the seeds out so it's a bit syrupy when I mix it in but man, I just can't get a good smooth top. Not that it really matters since it tastes great either way but I still feel a little embarrassed whenever it happens, especially if I'm cooking for others.

It sounds hacky, and like it shouldn't work, but all the cheesecakes I've made in my InstantPot have had great tops. Take a look at this technique and try it if you have one, maybe?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

I watched an episode of a documentary "Cooked" about bread. While I was aware that white bread was bad, and sourdough was good, I did not realize that the fermentation process was an important part of proper bread-making. Is this true? Some googling suggests that the easiest way to identify proper sourdough bread is to look at the ingredients and verify that (1) it uses whole grain flour and (2) it does not list yeast as an ingredient. Am I on the right track? Is enriched flour a bad thing, or is it "good, but not as good as whole grain flour"?

If it turns out that whole grain flour breads without yeast work better for me, are there certain cereals I should be avoiding or is it enough to identify those that use whole grains and are low in sugar? I have been reaching for Kashi's whole grain cereals lately, and I am happy.

I am asking because some breads/tortillas do give me stomach issues, and I am tired of randomly trying different breads/tortillas/cereals.

1. Proper sourdough bread won't list any acids. Sometimes you might find a teensy bit of yeast added for insurance from home bakers, and a lot of commercial sourdough is just normally yeasted bread with added acids to give it that tang (that I wouldn't call real). Real sourdough can be made with any flour at all-- white, whole wheat, rye, etc.

Actual sourdough is quite easy to make and costs pennies, and the no-knead variety doesn't even take more than 5 minutes of work, if you want to give making bread a try (come see us in the bread thread).

2. Some people tolerate different grains better, or might have chemical sensitivities to an ingredient in the bread. E.g. there are some emulsifiers I try to avoid as they don't sit well with me, and it's not the grains that are the problem. And as you saw in your (probably a little bit alarmist) documentary, sourdough bread breaks down some of the proteins so some find it easier to tolerate.

If you don't want to go to the doctor, just keep notes & avoid what doesn't work for you. (You may even try making your own bread to control the ingredients-- all you'd need is flour, water, salt, yeast, and a loaf pan or dutch oven to cook it in.)

For the cereals, the Kashi ones are definitely low-sugar and high in fiber if you get the right ones. Just read the labels and take notes.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm gonna make a roast beef dinner on new year's eve but I'm out of the country and so I asked my girlfriend to pick up some meat for me. We live in Luxembourg so all the cuts are in French - she bought an 800g 'roti gite a noix a braiser'. Trying to find translations of what the different cuts are is quite difficult but I think it's either topside or thick flank? So first I'm hoping are there any frenchies here that can help me identify this cut, and then what would be the best way of roasting it because I've never roasted a joint of beef before.

Obviously braiser means braise, which is clearly not roast, but all the descriptions of thick flank say it's a great cut for roasting. Alternatively if it would be poo poo roasted I guess I could make boeuf bourguignon.

Hmm, let me pop that into Google Translate...

Uuuuh hmm

This should actually help though

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Funktor posted:

In a vacuum, sure, but we are busy folk with careers and small kids and only enough time to do serious cooking like once a week. Yogurt is a staple food for us and very much needs to be a grab-on-the-go kind of thing once it's been made. This is more about being able to create the things we like without all the terrible additives you get in the store (read: loads of sugar) rather than an optimal flavor thing. Although flavor is certainly nice.

I meal prep my yogurt for the week. Mason jar (or what have you), add yogurt first, add fruit and fixings, screw on lid, stick in fridge for a week. Quality is fine for every fruit combo I've tried so far by the end of the week, but granola gets a little soft after day 2.

Come see us in the Pressure Cooker thread if you need help making the yogurt! We just talked about that, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Funktor posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out. I didn't mean put the fruit in during the making of the yogurt, I'm more interested in blending it in after. Can that be done with just like a standard Ninja or something?

Sure. Blend it up, scoop it out, and eat on it for a week.

If you cut up the fruit or use something like pitted cherries I find enough of the juice leaks out to flavor the yogurt that I don't need to worry about blending it and just give it a good stir before eating. (I get that kids may not like the non-uniform texture or yogurt taste though.) Pineapple pieces are my absolute favorite this way-- the sweetness blends so well with the tartness, and then I throw some blueberries in it for more delicious flavor bursts. (Blueberries definitely don't leak delicious juices into the yogurt, though.)