Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Residency Evil posted:

I know this is the equivalent of asking "where should I get pizza in New York," but do you guys have any favorite coffee places in SF near Moscone?

My favorite coffee place in SF is Ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

magnetic posted:

I had all but given up on great coffee then I moved back to Belligham, and found a great little coffee place.

Since I found this place I have tasted far and away the best coffees of my life. What great is the variety and menu changes daily, the are expensive.

In recent tastings, the Esmerelda from Stumptown is one of the more elegant coffees I have had. Heart roasters are doing amazing things as well if you get a chance check them out.

Onyx Coffee Bar? Gotta be Onyx. Such a cool space!

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
I think all of you guys are right. Everyone has to start somewhere. I have a decent setup (Gaggia Classic + Baratza Vario) and it's not the end all but I regularly make great drinks, and infrequently exceptional ones. It's good enough for me to use at home, but I realize its limitations. It doesn't compare to the La Marzocco at work, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it! I say use and enjoy what you have until you begin to notice what the next level up will get you, then get that when you can afford it.

Other than that my biggest recommendation is to find an amazing roaster, and have them serve you an espresso at their shop. Then buy the beans they used, go home, and try to pull the same thing there. That will quickly show you the shortcomings in both your equipment and technique. I'm fortunate to live in Portland which has some of the best roasters in the country (Coava, Heart, Extracto, Stumptown), but I'm sure there are some good spots in most major cities.

My other recommendation is to bypass espresso completely and get a Chemex + Coava Kone + Bonavita + best Baratza grinder you can afford. It's way cheaper and easier to make great coffee at home than espresso, and the results from that setup are exceptional.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone tried Handsome Coffee in LA?

Haven't been there but ordered espresso when it was first available. It reminded me of Stumptown's espresso blend in that it was good but not memorable. But I keep hearing great things! Hoping to try some more of their stuff soon... they're basically a barista dream team.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
Two things:

Got a Breville BDB a few weeks back and I'm loving it. Consistant shots, quick warm-up, thoughtful design. Only gripe so far is I wish that the portafilter would retain heat better. That won't matter as much eventually as I plan to get a naked portafilter. Also worried about long-term durability, but so far so good. Worth consideration if you're looking to spend around $1,000.

Secondly, if anyone in the Portland, OR area (or elsewhere, I suppose, though I'd rather not ship) is looking to get into espresso, I'm selling my Gaggia Classic. It's a great machine that's 2.5 years old, and it has been faithfully cleaned, backflushed, and descaled. Willing to let it go for cheap cheap cheap. Let me know if you're interested!

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
A bit of a plug here, as I work for the company, but there's only three days left to preorder the Able Kone and/or Brewing System (for a reduced price!) on Kickstarter. I've had coffee from the new Kone and have nothing but good things to say -- though I've always been a fan of the Kone and own the first and second iterations. Definitely worth checking out if you're into pourover!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/333965871/kone-coffee-filter-brewing-system?ref=home_location

https://www.ablebrewing.com

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

nm posted:

Sorry, $45 is like a lifetime supply of the good filters.
I feel good about saying that because you have $100,000 anyhow. drat.
I don't get the metal filter thing.

Yeah man, I totally get that. For me, I really prefer the cup that the Kone produces (more oils + body in my experience). Others will prefer a paper filter and that's totally cool!

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Furious Lobster posted:

If one already owns a Chemex, would you recommend the Brewing System as well? I'm interested in the filter but am hesitant about this alternative.

The Brewing System + Kone will taste the same as the Chemex + Kone. The main advantages to the Brewing System in my mind are heat retention, ease of cleaning, and aesthetics (though the Chemex is a beautiful design as well).

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

swagger like us posted:

Alright bare with me, I feel stupid for saying this but this thought occured to me. Has anyone ever made a true automatic pour over? I realize first off, a pour over's main advantage is the control you have over pour, temperature, pacing etc. but has anyone ever made a basic automatic boiler, that pours at the perfect and amount, as well as slightly pouring in circles in to the center of a cone style pour over?

Im pretty new to pourovers and my basic setup is a bonavita kettle, V60 with filters, 65 g/L ratio, pouring in circles slowly until saturated, waiting 45sec, then pouring slowly in circles (riding the bloom) until the set weight on a scale. I feel like maybe my method is super simple that Im just surprised why something so simple couldnt be made automatic. I know a drip machine is basically this but doesn't a drip machine slowly and unevenly saturate grounds in a basket thus making an uneven extraction?

I frequently have coffee from this coffee maker:

http://www.clivecoffee.com/product/bonavita_glass_coffee_maker.html

Except I replace the carafe and filter with this:

http://ablebrewing.com/collections/products/#kone-coffee-filter

And this:

http://ablebrewing.com/collections/products/#chemex-coffee-maker

And it's awesome.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
Re: Starbucks talk. I think Starbucks coffee is gross, but I get why people like it, and I think it works in their sweetened drinks. I'm a big fan of the Pumpkin Spice Latte, which is basically hot pumpkin sugar-milk with a dash of bitter espresso to balance the sweetness. It sounds wrong, but it works. And, if I was forced to, I'd be fine with drinking their grossly over roasted drip coffee with cream and sugar. Not because I like the coffee, but because the balance of bitter and sweet works. Their coffee is awful, but their drinks work and are eminently repeatable.

If I want good tasting coffee, though, Starbucks is near the last place I'd go. When you go to Starbucks the only thing you taste is the roast, which tastes terrible. Except for their Blonde coffees, I guess, which, while not burnt, are overwhelmingly, disgustingly boring.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Good places to buy coffee, beans in the SF Bay Area?

Sightglass, De La Paz, and Ritual are all good. Verve is in Santa Cruz and is also good.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
Anyone need any coffee brewing equipment? The company I work for (Able Brewing) is having a Black Friday sale! Get 20% off your order on November 23 with the coupon code: THANKS

grahm fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 22, 2012

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Hauki posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I've gone through the checkout process up to the point of confirmation three times now and can't find anywhere to even enter a coupon code.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The code will only work on Black Friday (November 23).

EDIT: Code is live now.

grahm fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 22, 2012

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
I'm selling some coffee equipment (incuding a Vario grinder and Hario kettle) over in SAmart. Check it out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523046

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
Trying out a prototype of a cool hand grinder right now, for anyone interested in that sort of thing: the Comandante C40. It can hold and grind 40g of coffee officially (up to 45g in my tests), has titanium burrs (with steel and ceramic options), is made in Germany, and oozes quality. It has a little notch system for adjusting grind size, which makes dialing it in easier (than the alternative of turning an unmarked dial with no frame of reference). We'll be selling them at https://www.ablebrewing.com once they're available, along with the smaller C20 grinder. Pretty cool stuff!

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

ded posted:

I'm looking to get an electric drip machine so I don't have to make a ton of coffee by hand with my aeropress when people come over to my house. I'm debating between a Technivorm and Bonavita. Other than the obvious price difference how is one better than the other? Also what is a good permanent filter to use for either of them?

Bonavita + Kone + Chemex is a pretty great combo. It's what I use whenever I have to make coffee for a bunch of people.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

How much sediment do you get through a Kone?

A lot of it depends on your pouring technique and your grinder. Using it with the Bonavita coffee maker and a Virtuoso, there aren't too many fines. That's because the Virtuoso is a great grinder, and the Bonavita does a very controlled, slow drip -- and because I let the fines settle at the bottom of the Chemex before I pour my cup. If you use a bad grinder and slam water into the coffee bed, you'll see a lot more fines.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
I was in San Francisco recently, and the best cup I had was at Wrecking Ball. Sightglass and Fourbarrel are also great. Ritual is okay if you like super light roasted coffee. Timeless Coffee in Oakland is great as well.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Fino Martini posted:

If you enjoy the dry process yirg, it's very likely that you'll love other natural/dry processed coffees. Drinking natural's is an unforgettable experience at first because of the huge ferment/fruit bomb flavor they can give you. I'd also reccomend buying a natural Ethiopian from another roaster to compare yourself to, and then try a washed Ethiopian to see the other side of the coin. Heart's Ethiopia Chelba is the best Ethiopian coffee I've had yet this season.

Heart's Chelba is amazing. That, Roseline's washed Konga, and Grumpy's Idido are the three best coffees I've had in the past few months.

grahm fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 30, 2013

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

Was thinking of buying some beans from Grumpy in NYC. Has anyone ever tried it?

Yeah! Get the Idido!

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Now I'm in Portland. Any suggestions for cafés/roasters?

I'd suggest Heart for drip coffee or straight espresso, any of the Baristas for espresso or espresso + milk drinks, and Coava for anything. The NE Alberta Barista is the best Barista location to sit down and get work done.

Ristretto's coffee is so-so in my book, but their locations are rad. They just opened a new shop on Couch St. which has an Alpha Dominiche Steampunk (the only one in Portland). Their Schoolhouse Electric location is also awesome.

If you really want to mix things up, check out The Arbor Lodge in NE or Either/Or in Sellwood, both of which serve Roseline, which is my favorite Portland roaster right now. Either/Or is better, and also serves Heart, but it's probably the furthest place away from you.

Another good spot to check out is Clive Coffee, which is an espresso machine and brewing equipment showroom (the only one in Portland... maybe on the West Coast?). Water Avenue coffee is right next door, and it's okay. Coava is also only 7-8 blocks away.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

marmot25 posted:

I picked up a glass-handled Chemex. I like carrying around my little jug of coffee around the house in the morning now.

I have a basic Salter food scale that likes to shut itself off after about a minute unless I paw at it. Does anybody have that Hario scale with a timer in it, and if so do you like it?

It's okay. I mean, it's probably the best widely-available timer+scale combo for your $$, but the buttons have no tactile or audible feedback, the screen is small, and the timer and scale readouts both look the same. It's fine for making your morning coffee, but if you're going to be using it a ton it would probably be frustrating. But all scales suck, and at least this one has a timer built in, so you could definitely do worse.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I planned on buying some of their beans but from what I've read it's roasted by Ritual, so it's pretty much going to be the same stuff in different packaging right?

The Honduras Las Nieves rules -- one of my favorite coffees I've had this year.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Who Dat posted:

Should I just splurge a little and get a Bonavita drip?

I'm selling my Bonavita if you end up wanting to go that route. I bought it just under a year ago and used it maybe 50 times. The thermal carafe that it comes with is brand new, as I used a Chemex + Kone instead. Let me know if you're interested!

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
Anyone in this thread want a sweet Hario V60 setup? I just moved to a new apartment and I have way too much coffee stuff and way too little space.

Includes a Buono kettle, a glass V60, and probably 60-70 V60 filters. Does not include an Apple router. $60 shipped for everything!

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Hauki posted:

gently caress, I want that although my girlfriend would definitely argue that I have way too many different ways to brew coffee already. Mostly I just want a new kettle though.

Edit: gently caress it, I'll bite. I don't have PMs, do you have an email address I can reach you at?

Yep! there's no email address here

grahm fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 30, 2013

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can't find their locations on their website but the one I went to only did espresso drinks and pre-made coffee.

Their East Burnside location does it; their downtown location (the one you must've went to) does not. That said, in my opinion the best cup of coffee at Heart is straight from the Fetco. They dial those things in. Reliably the best cup of coffee in Portland if you ask me.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

becoming posted:

I've been loving around with the Chemex that I bought for my wife for Christmas

The Intelligenstia beans are going to rock your world. Because Starbucks coffee is roasted so dark, the oils and fines are probably clogging your filter, leading to the slow drawdown and your need to use a really coarse grind.

When the Intelligentisa arrives, a good starting point is a 3:30 brew with your same ratio and the Virtuoso set to 22ish. Pour ~100g water, let it bloom until ~45 seconds or until it stops bubbling, then pour the rest and end between 3:00-3:30. The drawdown should take between 15-45 seconds after that.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

mr. yolk posted:

Well that's a little disconcerting. I thought the Vario was a good all-around grinder... I don't make drip and I don't think I ever will. It'll either be pour-over, Aeropress, or espresso for me... aren't those all *relatively* fine grinds? I know my Aeropress works best with a fairly fine grind, about the size of table salt granules.

or at least i think it does.

The Vario is good but not great for drip, and like someone else said, it's a pain to change settings from espresso to drip and back.

For pour over I would recommend the Kalita Wave over the V60. The V60 is cheaper, but in my experience it's easier to get better results on the Kalita.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a noticeable taste difference between the V60 and Kalita Wave? I would imagine the difference would just come from the filters…

Yes, but I don't think either done well tastes objectively better than the other. The filters, bed geometry (flat-bottom vs cone), resistance that the holes provide (water flows through faster in the V60 than the Kalita), and grind (finer for V60 than Kalita), all make a difference. Both make great coffee, but the Kalita is easier to use. More expensive, though :(.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

becoming posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Fino kettle? I've got a friend's birthday coming up, and I'd like to get him set up with a fairly inexpensive pour-over rig. He's currently doing CCD so he's got the basics: hot water source, scale, grinder. I'd like to spend less than $50 on the kettle. If need be, I'll just get him a Buono, but I'm reading some good things about the Fino too. Thoughts?

It's nice. Slightly slower flow rate than the Bonavita and Hario, and it looks better too.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

dik-dik posted:

For those of you brewing with the wave:

Anyone mind sharing their numbers with me? Specifically, brew ratios, mass of water per pour, timing of pours, etc. Thanks!

Here's what I do! For the 185:

28g coffee
420g water

70-80g water in the first 10 seconds
Resume pouring at 30-35 seconds
Do circular pours, pausing every 30-50 grams (the first few will be bigger... my first pour after the bloom is usually ~100g itself). Don't fill to the top but also don't let the coffee bed start to show. Try to maintain a relatively even amount of water. Use the water to integrate high and dry grounds
Reach 420g at 2:15
Dripping should end around 2:45

This is all with a grind setting of 21-25 on a Virtuoso.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I was doing that too. My cups are never as good as they should be, and I've played around with grind. Not sure why, obviously it's all fresh coffee, I do the process right, I time 3:30 and then let it filter from there. Sometimes it can be good but I feel like it's not as bright/sweet/flavor-defined as it is when I have cups at work.

Are you using different water at home?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

It's filtered but that might be part of it.

Yeah water is a big deal (over 98% of a cup of coffee is water!). That's the first thing I check if a coffee tastes boring.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
For all of you kettle people: this kettle rules. Control is as good as the Takahiro, but it has a better handle and is way cheaper. I've made about a million cups of coffee with it and have yet to find anything better. The fact that it's only $45 is icing on the cake.

http://ablebrewing.com/collections/products/#level-pour-over-kettle-narrow-spout

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

becoming posted:

Have you seen a larger one?

I haven't.

dik-dik posted:

Any comparison to the wave kettle?

I haven't used the wave, sorry!

Mu Zeta posted:

It looks like the Fino Kettle which Able used to sell

It's actually pretty different than the Fino! More controlled pour rate and better balance. Also the lid stays on better! I have a few Finos and like them, but this one is even better (especially for a brew method that requires a really slow and controlled pour, like the Kone).

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

DoBoMi posted:

Thank you for your answers!
But to be honest, I don't want anything fancy like the chemex or the vacuum pot.
Both look awesome and interesting, but I don't want to have to explain something to my family and friends.

It seems like many coffeemakers produce bitter coffee, so I looked around what I could get for a bit more money..

Anyone ever heard something of the Moccamaster? It looks pretty awesome to me, even though it is a bit more expensive than the other solutions.

This is the best taste/value compromise for home drip makers, in my opinion: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005YQZNO8/ref=pd_aw_sbs_1?pi=SY115

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
Getting rid of coffee equipment I don't use or have multiples of. Let me know if you want it!

- New version Aeropress (brand new)
- 6-cup Chemex (like new)
- Able Kone (like new)
- Able Heat Lid (like new)
- Level Kettle (small crack on handle, otherwise good shape)
- Bonavita 0.5 L Travel Kettle (some light spotting inside, works great)

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

porktree posted:

How much for the Aeropress and the Chemex? Shipped to KC?

I could do $65 shipped (shipping is a little more for me because I want to insure the Chemex because they're fragile).

ALSO: I've posted thread in SA-mart with all of this stuff, in order to keep discussion out of this thread.

I also added some Able shirts, a Kone Brewing System, and a Comandante hand grinder. Check it out if you're interested!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3652418

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I find fresher roasted coffee (like a day old) shouldn't be tamped very much.

For what it's worth, as espresso you'll probably have the best luck with coffee that is 7-12 days past roast. Freshly roasted coffee does strange things when hit with that much pressure.