Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I like boozy hot chocolate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

What kind of booze?

Whisky, brandy.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
My hot take is rich simple syrup is a waste of time

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

field balm posted:

Looking for some advise on building up ingredients for a home bar.

One thing I wish I could go back and tell my past-self when I was starting to build my home bar:

Don't buy a million bitters.

They sound so fun, there are so many flavors.

If you use them at all, you never use them fast enough. Most of the bottle will oxidize.

Ango, orange, and Peychauds, that's it.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Shaking vs stirring absolutely makes a difference. It effects what the finished product look like.

You control the temperature and dilution of the finished product when you shake, and when you stir. Extra dilution from shaking makes no sense.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Shaking and stirring for the same time will give different levels of dilution

I'm not arguing that, just stir longer.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
A true cocktail snob would have took one look at the bar and knew they couldn't make a proper drink in the first place and just ordered the bourbon neat right off the bat

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Trinidad Sours 4life

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Underberg also works wonders after a meal

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Trinidad Sour

1.5 oz. Angostura bitters
1 oz. orgeat
.75 oz. lemon juice
.5 oz. rye

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Carillon posted:

Bitter Mai Tai

1 ½ oz. Campari
¾ oz. Jamaican rum
½ oz. orange Curaçao
1 oz. fresh lime juice
¾ oz. orgeat

I had this at a restaurant that had it listed as a Mai Negroni. If you like those two drinks this might blow you away. It's bitter but cut with that orgeat, it's a great discovery for me.

Yeah this drink loving rules.

If you have someone who doesn't like Campari this has a good chance at converting them.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Big Daq

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Dry shaking is a waste of time. If you mean a cobbler shaker, which is also a waste of time, that's probably your problem. Get a boston shaker, more space for agitation/aeration.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Hendrick's isn't really gin, it's more it's own thing.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
If we're talking Nonino make a Paper Plane

equal parts bourbon, aperol, nonino, lemon juice

I'm sure Campari would be fine if you don't have aperol, but we just got a bottle of it, and I have a bottle of nonino I'm trying to kill so we've been going hard on these.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

The Chad Jihad posted:

I tried my darndest to like the vile, bitter campari but eventually gave up. Then, to celebrate a promotion I got drunker than I've ever been in my life on basil hayden and got violently ill. Now I can't taste whiskey without gagging but negroni's are delicious. The world moves in mysterious ways

Another drink good at getting you to like Campari is a Bitter Mai Tai, it's so good it's almost unreal.

1 ½ oz. Campari
¾ oz. Jamaican rum
½ oz. orange Curaçao
1 oz. fresh lime juice
¾ oz. orgeat

Serve on some crushed ice if you have the energy

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

wormil posted:

Anyone use those canvas bags for smashing ice or is everyone just using a towel, or maybe something else? I've been using a freezer bag with a towel around it but I still manage to tear the bags. I could use the blender but I'm lazy and don't want to get it out and put it away.

I've had a lewis bag for years and I'd say it's worth it. I don't use it a ton, but it doesn't take up much space. On those occasions for when you want that consistency of ice it really is the best tool for the job, the ice doesn't stick to it like a towel and you can beat the hell out of it.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I've had my muddler for so long I don't think you can get it anymore, but it rules, and doubles as my ice smasher. This looks very similar:

https://www.kegworks.com/wooden-kegworks-cocktail-bar-muddler

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Thoht posted:

Got gifted a bottle of elderflower liqueur a while back. What should I make with it?

Here for my ~yearly recommendation to make Apparent Sours

1.5oz Aperol (Campari is probably fine)
.75oz elderflower liqueur
.75oz lime juice
Rosemary sprig if you have it (and put one in the shaker too)

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Toebone posted:

It's hot out, what's your favorite margarita recipe? I'm a 2:1:1 guy, with good tequila and cheap triple sec.

2oz teq
.75 lime
.5 simple

Not a margarita. Made it in Florida when I was vacationing with loved ones and it was hot and they wanted margaritas and we didn't have triple sec and have never looked back.

I call them Florida style.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
No it's a new thing that I invented

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I live on Long Island too and I've been using wine.com since March. It's been pretty great.

I used to use astor wines until I had 2 bad experiences with them.

Wine.com has a thing where you pay $50 and all your orders for the year ship free.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

What were your bad experiences with Astor? I also live on LI and was JUST considering an order with them

They don't seem to have a very sophisticated inventory system, or much of a customer service department.

On 2 separate occasions I had an item in my cart that was actually out of stock, and the order just sat after I placed it, and would have maybe sat forever, until I reached out. Took a while to even get a response and explanation.

If everything you order is in stock it goes off without a hitch though, and they ship fast.

Wine.com just seems like a much more professional operation. They ship fast too.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

What other Aperol drinks should I try?

Intro To Aperol
1oz gin
2oz Aperol
.75oz lemon
ango

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I want to make some jalapeño tequila (or otherwise spicy tequila) for margaritas, using Espilon. Do I just slice some jalapeños and steep them for a day or what? Do I need to refrigerate afterward?

Be very careful infusing booze with spicy, it can go from good to undrinkable in an instant.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Finally finished my first bottle of fernet branca. Definitely grew on me over the months, especially after having fernet & coke at a bar once.

What's a good next amaro? I've heard cynar referenced here a lot.

Cynar is great and quite versatile.

Get it just in time to make Bitter Giuseppe's for after thanksgiving dinner.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You can get color like that with a blueberry simple syrup.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Laocius posted:

Looking for some advice regarding orange liqueurs.

I have had lots of them on my home bar at some point over the years. For a while my default was Cointreau, I found that was what I reached for most often, and felt most compelled to replace when it was empty.

I have been paring down my bottles for some time now, it gets harder and harder to justify a huge collection when I don't go through them fast enough. Orange liqueur hasn't made the cut. Maybe try making some margaritas and sidecars with just simple syrup instead of orange liqueur and see if it's something you can't live without. (Although I guess they aren't margaritas or sidecars at that point)

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
gas

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

So I guess now what I'm looking for is basically "cachaça cocktails for people who don't like cachaça".

Make light rum drinks and sub a portion of the rum with it.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
My wife and I will be in Washington DC from 9/15 to 9/20.

Does anyone have any cocktail bar recommendations? We usually like things on the quieter side where we can have some face time with the bartender to talk about what we like and go from there.

That usually means going in earlier but we're fine with that. Good food is a bonus but not a dealbreaker.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

There are a number of truly exceptional cocktail bars in DC. Where are you staying?

We're staying at The Jefferson.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
We went in 2015 but the places I remember having a good time at that are still open are The Gin Joint, The Rarebit, Xiao Bao Biscuit.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I’ve got family visiting so I went and picked up a small bottle of Carpano Antica and wow it’s so good!

Try some with a nice glug of prosecco and a couple olives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

I forgot to post about this but I was out east on Long Island a few weeks ago and ended up at the Betterman Distillery. Got a Negroni with their dry gin and it was unbelievable.

https://www.thebettermandistillingco.com/cosmicsouldrygin

I ended up buying a bottle. Made a Negroni with that, cocci, and St Agrestis and I'm never going back to my usual (brokers, Campari, antica).

You were in my neck of the woods, Better Man is walking distance for me.

I find the gin on my bar more and more lately. It started because I wanted to support local, but now it is because it's just good.