Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

idoliside posted:

Just picked up the free trial in the UK, this is pretty nice, better than LoveFilm which I used for a bit. Going to try it on my PS3 later on tonight.
Is there anywhere I can look at listings without going through the websites "recommended" sections. Like a straight A-Z of titles in genres?

Not on consoles, but you can on the site. Unless the UK layout is different, you should be able to go to a genre (or subgenre) and then click the barely noticeable "See all" button in the upper right. That gives you a gallery view of box covers that you can change to a sortable text list of titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Jakabite posted:

Ahh right, thanks then. If a TV series was about to be taken down would there be some sort of warning, or would I be halfway through the series and beep boop, no longer there?

Kind of, but they don't go out of their way to tell you. Keep an eye on your queue, especially toward the end of a month. Anything expiring within a week or so will have a note next to it showing the date. The date should also be mentioned on the page itself, like so:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Vinestalk posted:

I expect Hulu+ to fill the void, if Netflix really is silly enough to drop their streaming services.

They're not going to drop their streaming service. He's expecting cable companies to go more in the direction of streaming on demand (such as the TV Everywhere thing) and suggested Netflix could be offered as part of cable packages of the future.

What he's saying isn't great, but I think places like the AV Club are overselling it. It sounds like he's just blue-skying about what the future media delivery landscape may be. The Hollywood Reporter article says "in the future he might want it to be included" in cable, which the AV Club then turns into "explicit" intentions to make Netflix "an ordinary cable channel."

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Manky posted:

It's just the post-CSI cop show thing where the protagonists are judge, jury, and executioner, and things like "due process" never seem to enter the picture except in particular episodes where it's highlighted for narrative convenience.

I'm not sure how this bothered you but you were okay with Luther determining someone is a liar because they didn't yawn.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

IanCaw posted:

Now for the other side of that coin: Are there any Netflix Instant movies or TV shows that really show off HD?

The Fall is back up on Instant, and that's as good a place as any to start for something pretty to look at.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Balancing Monsters posted:

In other news, the 148 minute cut of Metropolis (listed as Metropolis Restored) is expiring in a few days.

Happily, it was just added back to streaming a couple days after its expiration. Dunno what that was about.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

I just checked it, it's the widescreen version.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

If the Avengers gave you a taste for it, Thor just got added to streaming. Now I can go back and figure out the backstory I missed.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Slackerish posted:

We better be getting some smashing new additions for all the great poo poo they're getting rid of tomorrow...

They just added Transformers: Dark of the Moon that's what you were looking for right

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

truth masseuse posted:

Does anyone have Amazon prime, who can tell me whether Netflix or Amazon has more/better content for instant streaming?

I used to ignore Amazon entirely because it seemed like they mostly overlapped with Netflix with a handful of oddball exceptions (Amazon has classic Doctor Who by season while Netflix only has a handful of collections that were released on video). I think they're doing a bit better more recently, though, because just browsing through I see a number of things Netflix doesn't have, ranging anywhere from Mean Girls to Antichrist.

But if you had to pick one, Netflix is probably still the better choice. Amazon's selection largely reads like the back racks at a video store (among the current most popular titles are stuff like Deep Impact and Forest Gump), and there's still a lot of overlap with Netflix. Plus it seems like it's taken them a while to get around to taking this video thing seriously, given that they only added the ability to queue movies last month.

Of course, you can also do what I do and get Prime for the shipping and consider the video a nice bonus.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

f#a# posted:

But yeah, finish the Breaking Bad binge because that's about equivalent (maaaybe a bit higher) in quality, and season 5 starts Sunday sucka.

And for us suckers who rely entirely on the Internet for our TV, season 4 of Breaking Bad is coming to Instant the same day season 5 starts.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Tennis Ball posted:

I just started watching Peepshow. Pretty good if you can get past the sometimes disorienting camera work.

It should be a little less disorienting after the first season. I think originally they were actually using head mounted cameras on the actors, then from season 2 onward they just shot people talking into normal cameras.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

I don't think we have a separate Prime thread, but it's worth noting that the full series of the West Wing and seasons 1-3 of Fringe have been added to Amazon Prime Instant.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Yay Pudding! posted:

Is this coming up later or am I missing something? I wanted to check out Fringe, but it still says it's charging 2 bucks an episode on Amazon instant.

For some reason they still show up in search listings as having a price, but if you go to the show page itself all the episodes are check marked as available with Prime.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

fenix down posted:

If you like MST3K there's always The Film Crew

If you like MST3k there's also Rifftrax (Mike/Kevin/Bill's thing after the Film Crew) and Cinematic Titanic (featuring some of the original cast like Joel/Trace/Frank). Rifftrax seems to be more popular, but I prefer CT because I think they stuck to the style and spirit of MST3K better.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Following up on Thor last month, Captain America has been added to streaming.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Volume posted:

What other stuff has he done? I know he's done Worlds Greatest Dad which was fantastic but I'm not sure what else.

He also famously wrote and directed a romantic comedy about a woman who admits to her fiance that she once sucked off her dog.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Glengarry Glen Ross just showed up on Instant. If you haven't seen it, or more likely if you only know it for Alec Baldwin's famous monologue at the beginning, you should definitely see what you've missed.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Indie Game: The Movie just got added to Instant. It's a documentary following the development of Super Meat Boy, Fez and Braid (actually Braid was already out by that point, but they still talk about making it). Really interesting if you at all care about those games or just want to know more about the poo poo people go through to make indie games in general.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

david_a posted:

Is there some stupid licensing reason why that movie is on Amazon Prime but not Netflix?

Amazon and Netflix seem to cut a lot of the same deals but get stuff up at different times. So if it's on Prime chances are it'll be on Netflix within a few months.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Azathoth posted:

Am I out-of-luck in wanting to be able to watch MST3K on Netflix (or other streaming sites)?

Well, if nothing else, pretty much every episode of MST3k is on Youtube (most in full, 90 minute single videos) and no one ever bothers to take them down. May not be fully in the spirit of what you're looking for, but at least you know they're there. And for some episodes, that's pretty much the only way you'll get them.

Azathoth posted:

Given the nature of MST3K, it seems that streaming/digital distribution would be perfect (large catalog, low individual demand for many episodes) but all I can find is a few episodes on Shout! Factory, which are priced at $10 per episode, which is way too expensive and definitely outside of the normal pricing for digital downloads.

There are a handful of episodes on iTunes that are $5, not that that helps much. Most are $10.

The reason for the spotty selection and cost is that they have to pay for the license for both the show and the movie being used. The selection is further hampered by the fact that some episodes were originally released through Rhino and there seems to be some limitations in what Shout! can release from those. You can look here to see a big list of what's been released when. It's a bit of a clusterfuck that leads to things like Mitchell being out of print for years and people trying to sell sealed copies on Amazon for $80. Or the best Coleman Francis movie (the Skydivers) only being available in VHS.

So yeah, that's why Youtube's kinda your best bet.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What's the deal with show availability on Netflix? I understand it's all tied to rights issues about what they can stream and where they can do it, but I don't get the way they go about things. UK shows available only in the US, US shows only available in the UK, Canada getting some seriously good movies releases at times.

I mean, I use Unblock-US so it's not an issue, but it's weird I have to use the UK stream to watching the latest Breaking Bad or Portlandia, or Canadas to watch whatever new movie out of the US. poo poo be weird.

The rights issues aren't just a matter of who has the right to what, but what makes money where. For instance, they've tried to show Breaking Bad on TV in the UK twice and it failed miserably both times, so showing the new season on Netflix isn't hurting anything. Whereas in the US, I'm sure AMC wants to get its fill of reruns first. Likewise, I'm sure there's stuff the BBC can't get on air here so it doesn't hurt to have it on Netflix.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Joe Don Baker posted:

It should stay in your queue when it goes away, with a note of 'not available.' It should then be there when it comes back.

I don't see this. A long time ago it used to move into a "saved" section, but now it just straight up disappears. But yeah, it gets readded automatically.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

My guess would be that the version they were sent was a "US edit" that cut it down for US television. Fortunately, Netflix doesn't have the same restrictions that US broadcast does but it looks like they still got saddled with that one.

That would be my guess. The BBC seems to sometimes give them BBC America versions, like the most recent Doctor Who episodes they've added having the stupid "hey Johnny Foreigner here's what Doctor Who is" opening tacked on.

tliil posted:

I watched some film called "Sexual Chronicles of a French Family" a couple of months ago and thought it was fairly explicit but then I found out recently that there's a ton of genital shots and penetration that's cut out of the Netflix version.

According to Wikipedia that's just the version that got released in the US, period. America doesn't like boners.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Rothgil posted:

I added Groundhog Day to my queue months ago and thought today would be a good day to watch it again.

Turns out they pulled it yesterday

But they just added Scrooged, so you can watch that now and watch Groundhog Day next Christmas.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Amazon always has a handful of movies Netflix doesn't, it's just never enough to justify the cost of Prime by itself. But free two day shipping is pretty useful.

One thing I don't think I've ever seen mentioned in this thread is Crackle. I had completely ignored it because I thought it was some junk streaming service that shows DTV garbage. And it does have a lot of that, but I was surprised to see it also streaming stuff I haven't seen elsewhere like District 9, Gattaca and even a handful of Seinfeld episodes. There are commercial breaks and the stream is only 480p, but it's apparently all free and uncut. It's something to keep an eye on for stuff you've been curious about but aren't concerned with blu-ray quality.

If nothing else, it seems like a good source of TV to turn on in the background. They've got half a dozen Godzilla movies, for God's sake.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Short Penguin posted:

I think everyone knows the ending to the crying game though.

Everyone knew the twist in, say, 1994, when the movie had been talked about enough they could turn it into a reference in a Naked Gun movie. In the subsequent 19 years it hasn't exactly remained in the public consciousness.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

How did you get into the beta?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Popular Human posted:

I remember reading in the old Shield thread a long time ago that there's some issue with the old seasons being shot in 4:3 or something like that that makes it really hard to do an HD/Blu-Ray version of the show. So you shouldn't let the fact that it's not HD stop you, since there probably will never be a blu-ray of The Shield.

It wasn't the aspect ratio; Sony claimed the 16mm film stock they used wasn't sufficient for an HD release. Although as this article points out, it's not like 16mm shows/movies have never come to Blu-ray before.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Manhunter is now streaming, if you're curious about the first film adaptation of Red Dragon or you just want any excuse to watch more Michael Mann.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

The problem with the stuff they make up is that it obscures the value of the stuff they don't, because they don't bother to draw a line between the two. For instance, by all accounts they really did drive a truck to the magnetic north pole (or at least close to it). But you'd be forgiven for wondering how much of it was real or how much danger they were really in, given how much they've made up in the past.

And there is real danger associated with at least some of the stunts they do, as Top Gear Korea helpfully demonstrated recently when trying to replicate one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsoWpTO2qg

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

I tried watching an episode of Jekyll and couldn't get past how loving cartoony he is as Hyde. It's like they made a grim drama out of The Mask.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

I liked Jeremy Renner when he was on an old Bravo reality show about actors called the It Factor. That was when he was only known for Dahmer and just starting to field bigger offers. The show ended with him tearing his heart out trying to decide between doing a little indie movie he liked and doing SWAT.

I didn't expect that decision to kinda sum up his career.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Mescal posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that extended Adult Swim chat is a bit outside the scope of this thread?

Discussing what's worth watching on Netflix seems to be precisely the scope of this thread.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

Archer is subtitled. I'm watching it with subtitles on right now.

That might actually improve it since you don't have to hear everyone screaming at each other constantly.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

forever whatever posted:

Welp, https://www.streamingsoon.com is out of business, you can read why exactly at the site. Not great news, I loved using it as a resource. Oh well.

Jesus Christ what is wrong with Netflix. I don't know how they expect people to actually find things to watch if the only source is the New Arrivals section of the site which is always mixed up and out of date.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Tewratomeh posted:

They can use instantwatcher.com like I assume most people here do?

I assumed places like Instant Watcher would be using the same API and thus have the same problems. If Instant Watcher still works then I'm not sure what Streaming Soon's problem is.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

I tried watching some of Aziz Ansari's stand-up special Intimate Moments and was greeted with a nightmare vision of a world where you can stand on a stage reading a wacky troll you did on Facebook off your phone and it counts as telling a joke.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

When should we expect s2 of Downton Abbey?

It's on Amazon right now, they've got exclusive rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

GoodApollo posted:

Season 2 is on Hulu, Amazon has the exclusive rights to 3 I believe.

You're right, I was remembering wrong. At any rate, pretty soon it won't matter.

quote:

The online retailer said that later this year, no digital subscription service other than Prime Instant Video will offer any seasons of "Downton Abbey."

Prime Instant Video will continue to be the exclusive subscription home through Season 4 and, if produced, Season 5 of the show, the company added.

As of July 1, no "Downton Abbey" seasons will be available on Netflix, according to a person familiar with the agreement between Amazon and PBS.

• Locked thread