Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Anyone else having sporadic success with G+'s automatic photo upload? I have mine set to only upload new photos when I plug in the phone. It only seems to work half of the time, or it only checks it every few days or something...annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

IT Guy posted:

I have a question about battery temps. I just downloaded a new app to help my sleep schedule. It's called "Sleep for Android" and it works loving awesome. However, it is constantly running all night to log your sleep cycles which requires it to be plugged in and left on your mattress beside you or under your pillow.

Anyway, I tried it for the first time last night and in the morning when it woke me up, The phone was pretty warm. I quickly checked the battery temp and it was at 46 degrees Celsius. Should I be worried or is it fine for an app to run all night while simultaneously the phone being charged? The same thing happens when using GPS in the car while it is plugged in, however the GPS is usually only on for an hour while this sleep app is on all night.

I used to use it and would keep it underneath my pillow. The insulated warm pillow environment caused it to heat up, when I would leave it ontop of the sheets or the bed it was fine, so consider figuring out a way to set it next to you or some place it still is exposed to the air.

This sort of caused me to stop using the app since I could not reliably keep it on my bed without it falling off...I should probably uninstall it actually, thanks for the reminder.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Any thoughts on whether the nook app or the kindle app is better than another? Trying to decide which store to go with ...

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Install Gentoo posted:

Amazon is usually cheaper and usually has a better selection. I wouldn't even bother with nook.

I noticed this as well...I like the animations for page turn on the nook app, but I prefer the organization of the kindle app and the tie-in with the OS. Thanks for the recommendation.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Any good suggestions for offline GPS apps? I am looking at GaiaGPS (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.trailbehind.android.gaiagps.pro) Decent price and might work in a pinch.

Im traveling to Germany, I don't have cell service out there, and I want to have GPS for cheaper than paying for maps download for my Garmin.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Anyone have problems with the G+ app not uploading photos reliably?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

a shameful boehner posted:

Speaking of calendars, are there any good, resizable calendar widgets that'd work well on a tablet? I've looked in the market and there doesn't really seem to be any, as they're either mostly geared towards phones or aren't resizable. I just want a nice, homescreen filling calendar on my 10" tablet that I can look at when I want to.

I think that Pure Grid Calendar Widget will do the job, although I've never used it with a tablet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...F9jYWxlbmRhciJd

It is super customize-able, and I think well worth it. Search the reviews to see if its been used on tablets.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, but has the ICS gmail app been ported over to GB/HC android devices?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I know its been asked a million times, but do you need a separate app to record a call?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Primworm posted:

Is there a good album art grabber that works with Google play? The app I got from the market (Album Art Grabber, icon is a record) says it grabbed the art, but nothing is showing up on the Google Play side.

I think the problem is google-side not the album grabber side. You will need to remove the music from your google play and re-upload the files with the embedded album art.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
On my old EVO4G there were options under the handcent app that allowed me to change the LED color, flash frequency, etc. for the notifications. I just got a GS3 and was wondering where these settings ran off to? Are they buried in the settings somewhere?

Oh and is Handcent the go-to 3rd party messaging app nowadays, or is there something newer that is recommended around here.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
What is the new twitterer app that you goons are using these days? Still using tweetdeck but it is showing its age on my gs3.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Red Warrior posted:

TweetLanes on my phone, but development is winding up on it like many other new Twitter apps due to the new API restrictions. But it still works just fine and has a better holo-style interface than just about anything else I've used.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tweetlanes.android

Tweetings as someone else recommended is actually based on Twidere so if you want a free version try that (may or may not have the same features depending on how heavily they change it)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mariotaku.twidere

Falcon Pro is actively being developed, I don't particularly like the interface but it is showing promise
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=34361296

Plume is annoying with it's ad popup at the bottom of the feed (obviously I am using the unpaid version), and it feels a little overdone for my tastes. The simplicity of tweetdeck was what I loved most about it.

I appreciate what Tweetlanes is trying to do, but it seems to have a bunch of missing features, I will need to keep checking it out as it gets developed.

Thanks for all these suggestions. I like Twidere a lot, but it is missing a widget that indicates new tweets in my feed, which sucks. Does Tweetings have a good widget included, I am more willing to purchase this than Plume.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
RE: Using Falcon Pro as a twitter client over plume

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's not as feature rich but I like how it looks enough that I switched.

I also switched to this when someone posted about it a few pages back, even though the feature set is limited compared to plume, it is cleaner and more simple in my opinion.

e: context + english

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It got rid of the Beautiful Home Weather widget. Now I can't use my favorite skin (Curved). What the gently caress. How do I downgrade back to the last version?

There is some sort of "legacy home" option in the settings, maybe that will get you the old look and feel?

7 Bowls of Wrath fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 4, 2012

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Vagrancy posted:

Try HD Widgets (Paid) or Beautiful Widgets (Paid). Zooper Widget (Free), or ClockQ (Free) might work for you too, but require a bit more set up. Weather (Free) also turned up in a search, but I haven't used it so I can't vouch for how good/bad it is.

He has a Nexus 4 so is probably inquiring about the native 4.2 option.

Holy crap Zooper is pretty great, thanks for sharing.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

lelandjs posted:

Speaking of clones of phones, here's what I just did to my Galaxy Nexus:

The launcher is Launcher 8. It's pretty awesome. I got Segoe WP to be the default font by flashing the zip from this XDA thread.

does launcher 8 run kind of slow for you? its stutters alot on my galaxy S3

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yes.

The screenshot is while I'm pressing the slide lock. After I choose which app, it brings up the basic pattern locker (or pin or whatever). Same goes for music (although it allow you to play / skip / pause) and any other apps launched from the lock screen.

Oh snap, I didn't realize that WL had the 1/8th positions available for the JB style slider lock, thanks for this...

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

brc64 posted:

I have no idea who it was, but I want to thank whoever pointed me to this egg timer app. It has truly changed my life.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobication.EggTimerPro

how does this deal with poaching eggs?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Is there a direct app link for starting a hangout with someone on android? Sort of like you can configure a speed-dial shortcut to call someone with a single click, I want to do that but have it start a hangout.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Skeezy posted:

I can't believe this but Twitter for Android updated to version 4 and now it has a Holo look to it.

Check it:

For HTC One owners though, there's apparently a bug where the on-screen menu key still shows up even though it shouldn't.

The official twitter app is still laggy and choppy on my S3, am I the only one experiencing this? Also, why don't they offer a "dark" theme for the interface, or am I missing it in the well-hidden settings menu?

Back to carbon and/or falcon pro.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Skeezy posted:

Typing is still a little laggy for me but overall it runs perfectly. I doubt a dark theme will happen since they are trying to keep all the apps looking the same on the iOS/Android/Web for the most part. While it would be neat I just don't see it being a top priority thing. I hope Twitter keeps updating the app to work with Androids strengths and adds expanded notifications next though.

Agree on the notifications. It lags mostly when I am scrolling or swiping between tabs. Maybe I have too much going on with my phone in the background. I'm running rooted stock, FYI.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
What is the big difference between Carbon and TitaniumBackup? Carbon seems a little more user-friendly and focuses on apps/app data, is that the biggest distinction?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
It is a little nicer to start a video hangout now over the phone with the new app. Trying to explain to my dad how to navigate the multiple chat clients before was a nightmare, so I am glad it is all together so we can start a video chat faster.

The new updates are nice across the board, even if they are a little buggy.

Someone questioned about silencing notifications on the chrome extension, and you can do that on each individual conversation, not from the main hangout contact list menu. I am not sure why they would separate it like this...Id like them to decouple the notifications from the sound as well so we could have one and not the other. I hate the sound notifications, but it would be nice to have a flashing notifier on my desktop at times.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

LastInLine posted:

Does doing that still silence notifications on the phone? Because it did for me. Checking that box instantly made an orange bar appear in the Hangout on the phone saying "Notifications are disabled for this Hangout. Turn back on?" at the top.

poo poo, I didn't realize it crossed over. I hate that orange bar across the top on my phone.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
So, I know we aren't talking about Hangouts here in the thread anymore, but this is more of an observation rather than anything else.

My wife just called me with her bone stock GS3, and I answered it from my laptop via hangouts. What is interesting, is that I didn't know whether she was using the hangouts app or if she was using the regular cell phone call, and she had no indication that I was using my laptop to answer her phone call. It was all very seamless. Has this always been the function of google voice and I was just unaware of it, or is this an update that has come with the hangout rollout? As of now, I used the google voice plugin in order to receive/send texts and see missed calls, but never to answer a phone call.

7 Bowls of Wrath fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 23, 2013

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Is there a way to force update the Gmail app? I have the desktop update running already, but not on my phone...

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Flavivirus posted:

You can just download and install it from here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ource=pulsenews

Thanks to the torrent of replies to my :effort: post!

e: I also am not sold on the tab idea. Right now the automatic filtering of my messages isn't quite right and some things get put in forums or social media which shouldn't be there, or that I would like to see immediately... I wish there was a way to create your own tabs out of the labels you have created already. Maybe this will come in future iterations?

7 Bowls of Wrath fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 4, 2013

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Anyone have any more they'd like to share? Gmail is: npsiwak

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I feel like I've added them all to the dictionary but it still makes me manually type them every time. Won't even acknowledge "sex" or "fart," and I use them in like every other text because I'm an adult. Do I have to get creative with apps?

I think there is an option buried in the settings to suppress bad language...

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Xemloth posted:

I wonder what's happening then, ever since I updated to 4.4 I'll leave my phone on my desk for a few minutes then when I look at it there is no signal/mobile data connection and airplane mode is set to on. Not sure what to try from here then.

Ever since updating to 4.3 and beyond (CM11) I've had connectivity issues related to Wi-Fi not auto connecting and dropped signal... It fixes after an airplane mode toggle though

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Does anyone have any good recommendations for time-lapse photo apps? Ive seen Lapse It, but was wondering if anyone has had experience with other apps that may be better.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

porktree posted:

Let's talk Camera apps. I'm on an LG G3, and the stock app is decent. But I miss being able to manually set the focal point, and/or the exposure. I used to use Camera+, Laminar Pro and Camera Awesome (on an iPhone) - Camera Awesome is 'incompatible' with the G3 and the other 2 don't exist. I bought VSCO Cam, but I don't see how to force/lock exposure/focus.

What's a good Camera replacement for me? Camera FV-5 looks interesting, but doesn't (as I understand it) use the laser focus the G3 has, I've also heard of 'A Better Camera'. I don't care one way or another about the filters.

I use Camera ZOOM FX and it produces pretty good pictures for me. I don't use any of the filters or whatever it provides, but its been my go-to for a year or so now on my S3. If I recall correctly there are options for manual focus and exposure adjustment.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
What's the current en-vogue lockscreen replacement which doesn't completely blow? Im still running stock unrooted on touchwiz, and while the stock lockscreen is fine, I was hoping to add in some sort of notification on the lockscreen which it currently doesn't do.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Mega Comrade posted:

The only decent one I've ever used is widget locker.

This was some time ago though.

Yeah me too, my GS3 was using CM11 and their built-in KK implementation worked fine for me with dashclock. I guess Ill see how it works on the note, if its flakey I may just need to wait for the next touchwiz on 5.0

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Kameh posted:

I used WidgetLocker for a while, but it kept locking up on me.

I use ACDisplay now. I'm satisfied with it.

Ill give ACDisplay a shot, looks pretty nice.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Is there a way to list your installed apps by the date they were installed/updated? Trying to find a weird GPS wakelock

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

dik-dik posted:

Why not just use a wakelock detector app like wakelock detector or GSAM Battery monitor?

I havent had an issue like this in a very long time, Im a bit out of practice. I used to go about it through BBS (but, Im not rooted, new phone...so). Ill check those apps out, thanks. Its a strange "Searching for GPS" notification that flashes up every 10 seconds, but only when Im driving (so far as i can tell). I think its google fit checking if I am walking or driving, but I never saw this before on my GS3...

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

calandryll posted:

Has anyone run into really bad lag issues with Google Maps? On my M7 when I load it up, it takes forever and trying to type a name in takes minutes because of lag. I deleted cache and data but that didn't seem to help.

Yeah, I've been having weird lag issues when I pan and zoom on my Note 4. I have pan and lag issues when i use it in my browser too. And when I used to have an S3, and on my N7 2012 tablet...

I always thought it was a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Sort of a strange question, but I figured I'd ask here to see if any of you guys had heard of this before. Do you know of any apps (or method) i could use to get access to the focusing optics on my note 4 camera? I've got a speck of dust (or something) on the lens that i want to remove. I was hoping that there was some sort of way I could apply an ultrasonic pulse to the coils that control the focusing optics on the camera and dislodge it...is this a pie-in-the-sky idea? or have you seen it before?

Otherwise i guess ill need to go through the stupid song and dance with samsung to get my phone replaced under warrantee for this stupid flaw...

• Locked thread