Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

sleepwalkers posted:

How can I sync my Android phone to my PC/Mac/Linux computer?
Android can do drag-and-drop, or certain music players (Spotify, Winamp, etc.) allow you to sync music. There are other solutions like DoubleTwist, too.
This section should definitely include iSyncr because it's awesome and DoubleTwist is a piece of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

trandorian posted:

LauncherPro is still working for me. I'm sticking to it unless another launcher will allow me to clone over my icon layouts.
Whenever I'm setting up GoLauncher it offers to copy the layout from other launchers. You can also use Desk Migrate

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

scarymonkey posted:

Streaming videos from home PC to Android phones and tablets trip report:
This is the best post. Thanks

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It's been said but there's nothing android nerds like better than breaking a privacy breach story (see also: recent Dolphin browser news). So since goons, xda and everywhere else loves LBE and have no factual negative things to say about it I am happily running it.

Besides, the number of bullshit apps that it helps you prevent from ACTUALLY intruding on your privacy makes it more than worth the risk.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I think the EMIT guy still posts here so I thought I'd say the app works very well on the Kindle Fire. I'm using the "High * Dual Core" profile.

This is really helpful because not only is the Fire restricted on storage, but it also won't even play XviD/h.264 files that are copied via USB. So Emit is a great solution.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Catching up on the thread and the launcher conversation prompted me to switch from Go Launcher back to LPP. Man it's so much faster, I just totally didn't notice how god drat S L O W go launcher had become. I don't really care that the guy hasn't updated Launcher Pro in a while because it just works.

Also AirDroid holy poo poo. Even though I use Kies which is really good, this is better.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Should I get ADW Launcher while it's 10 cents if I am generally happy with LPP? Does it have significant differences in features or anything?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I seem to remember goons not liking Handcent SMS much and I think it's slowing my phone down a bit.

However I use the quick reply window from the lockscreen pretty much constantly. Is there an SMS app that is faster or more optimized than Handcent that still has the popup/quick reply window?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Does anyone happen to have an apk for the previous version of the Audible app? Maybe in their Titanium Backup history or something? The current version is a total clusterfuck and they have been unresponsive to my requests via twitter and email to get an old version to roll back to.

The version I need is 1.3.6 (current is 1.3.8). Feel free to PM or post if you can help out, thanks!

edit: I found it; if anyone else needs to roll back pm me for a link

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 27, 2012

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Arcsech posted:

Does anybody know of a calendar-checklist/"don't break the chain" type app? Basically I want something that I can use do the equivalent of making an X on my calendar, but on my phone.
Momentum builder maybe? Not sure if I totally understand your request

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.menueph.util.momentumbuilder

e: or Everyday Check: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.androidx.checkcalenf

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Could anyone post or link to a safe place to get the most recent Dark Horse Comics APK? I want to sideload it on my Kindle fire but I don't have a phone to pull it from any more. Mods this is a free app so I don't think this is :filez: but I'll revoke this if it's not ok.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

What's the goon preferred RSS reading app for 7" and 10" tablets?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Aatrek posted:

Crap, no - I meant Pulse.
Well you helped me discover Plume as well so thanks :cool:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Boywunda posted:

So, I plan on getting the Nexus 7 soon and also plan on getting into comics again. What's the recommended comic book reader? I don't even know what features I would want as I've never read a comic on a device before. Free is always nice, but I'm more than willing to pay, since I'll be getting all my comics as :filez:
You should pay for your comics. comiXology and Dark Horse have great apps and since the N7 is too small for full page reading, you'd like their per-panel reading modes.

However, if you want to read your stolen CBR files you can grab Perfect Viewer or Komik.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

More comic reader talk: If you have ICS or JB with onscreen buttons, you might want to check out ComicRack as it's pretty much the only reader I've seen that dims the system bar during reading. If you're annoyed by the buttons or just worried about screen burn-in, this might be the best choice for comic reading.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a website that tracks what apps are free like there is for iOS?
http://www.appbrain.com/apps/hot/free/

And price drops are here: http://www.appbrain.com/apps/hot/price-drop/

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is there a way to make Chrome mobile not open the tabs that were open when I closed it? I just want a blank app if I open it directly or one tab with the link I followed if I pressed it from somewhere else.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Cojawfee posted:

I decided to see what I could get out of my GNex with light use and no charging after setting up profiles on SetCPU and going back to a static image for my background.

Total screen time of 45 minutes. Also, turns out I had my priorities backwards for the profiles, it was always on the <=75% profile the whole time. Not too bad I don't think, seeing my old Droid would last half a day. before this phone would be down to 60% just sitting in my car and using it throughout my time at home would get it down to about 40. This gets me an extra 20 hours or so.
A little late on this, but could you post your SetCPU profiles? Or at least a summary of them?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It only worked for me up to halftime then it didn't update the score any further. So I thought the Raiders might have a chance based on the score shown - not knowing they were in truth getting their asses kicked. So no, I'd say that Google Now didn't work very well today.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

General_Failure posted:

Why do you have to get your stuff off to root it?
If he hasn't unlocked the bootloader yet it forces you to wipe the entire phone when you do.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kheldarn posted:

Any suggestions for a customizable Lock Screen locker replacement? I don't mind if I can only add one or two apps to the lock screen, as long as I can get some nice themes, and have the time, date, and weather displayed.
Widget Locker: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.widgetlocker

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I grabbed nova fr a quarter but I'm not sure what's better about it. It already did a full reload/redraw once which was annoying. What do you guys like about it over trebuchet?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is there some way to set up a gesture in Swype beta to delete the last word? Swiping left across the keyboard to delete is the biggest thing I miss from Swiftkey.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

XIII posted:

Looks like an update for Google Maps just hit the Play Store. The change log just says "bug fixes", so hopefully it fixed the wake lock issue. Doubt it.
Today's Maps update seems to have removed Maps from its perennial #1/2 spot on my battery use chart. It's not even in the top 10 now. Hoping I can get 2 days per charge on my Note II now.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have spent about a week trying to use and like Swiftkey Flow but it's just not as good as Swype Beta 1.4 at getting the drat words right. Next-word prediction doesn't matter when you're predicting based on wildly inaccurate gesture recognition. Anyone else feel this way or are there any tips on getting it to just get the drat words correct?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

az jan jananam posted:

Did Facebook remove the function to set a contact picture from the fb app?
Yes, long ago as part of the G+/FB slapfight. I use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ro.weednet.contactssync

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Vinlaen posted:

What's the best video streaming app for Android?

I was using AirVideo on iOS and it was fantastic (i.e. it converted videos on-the-fly and streamed over 3G and Wifi practically any video format).

I've tried Emit (free) for Android and it's stuttering and laggy quite a bit (and looks worse than the AirVideo/iOS streamed videos; both are using the same WiFi network and encoding machine)
Air Video is still the only thing I miss from iOS.

I just use the Plex app with a Plex Media Server set up on my PC. I wanted to like Emit cause it's made by a goon or something, but it's just not very good.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Try pausing playback manually from the car before you turn it off. I found that my car didn't always send the pause command before it broke the BT connection which left the app (Audible in my case) in a weird state. It always sends the unpause command when I start it up though.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 25, 2013

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

signalnoise posted:

Is there an app that will let me take a picture of a page of text with my Nexus 10 and then translate that into a text document? "picture to text" is just pulling up PDF creators that don't have that option.
There are some on the store but I can't speak to their effectiveness. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=OCR

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Google released their own survey app for which you can earn Play credit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.paidtasks

Hopefully this won't be as lovely as other internet "surveys" which give you 100 "screener" questions aka "a full survey", then disqualify you.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I was messing with the Motorola camera on a RAZR M and it came up and said "high contrast scene detected, press here to use HDR for this photo" or something like that.

Is there a way to add this functionality to a phone that has CM10? I have an app called Camera Zoom or something but it's not really that good. Is there a way to get the Moto Blur camera on my phone?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Could anyone give me an idiot's guide to why I might want to use Hangouts for SMS? I heard there was a problem with it not being able to do MMS or something? Basically my SMS app right now is Chomp and I'm curious if there's any reason to change over, especially since there doesn't seem to be a quick reply popup.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone used Perfectly Clear for their camera app? Just wondering if it's better than Google Camera or Cyanogen Camera.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Nintendo Kid posted:

This isn't true, it hasn't been true since our phones used nickel-chemistry batteries back mostly in the 90s.
It is absolutely true with lithium cells. The number of discharge cycles to depth of discharge is a logarithmic relationship, in other words if you only ever discharge your phone 10% you will get a lot more than 10 times as many discharge cycles from the battery. You can read more here (see table 2): http://www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Nintendo Kid posted:

Buddy you're contradicting yourself with that link. Charging your phone overnight every day means you have less discharge over the life of your phone than if you refuse to charge overnight. The article supports charging as often as possible i.e. preventing the battery from draining.
Yeah you're right, I thought he was saying he'd charge a few times through the day, not that he was going 2 days between. Anyway, charging more frequently helps your battery life so you can watch more 10 bit anime!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Nintendo Kid posted:

Speaking of the opinion rewards, what's everyone else's total look like?
$37.91, but I spent a couple weeks in timeout after accidentally hitting yes to the fake waterpark question

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Swype is far and away the best swiping keyboard, unfortunately they still don't have the option for a dedicated number row and even though they finally have an emoji keyboard it's hidden under a dual-purpose enter key.

Don't worry though the useless loving SWYPE key that does nothing but take you to their lovely theme store to buy three dollar star trek skins is still wasting screen space

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

monster on a stick posted:

I'm getting a warranty replacement for my warranty replacement phone. Short version, what's the current backup solution of choice? Not just SMS but I also don't want to lose which podcast episodes I've listened to, the current list of installed apps, stuff like that.
Moto Migrate is really great but I'd bet it's for Moto devices only. Not sure what you're having replaced.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Busy Bee posted:

I just switched over to Pushbullet because MightyText is going to start charging $3 a month for sending over 500 texts with their app. Do I have an option to be able to delete text conversations within Pushbullet in Chrome?

Also, I use TeslaUnread and I'm confused on what it means to be able to give that app notification bar access? What does that mean?
From what I can tell, you need to do your deleting on the phone if you want a conversation to go away in Pushbullet. This has been true for me in both the desktop and the web versions of the PC component. It also has an annoying habit of adding a blank conversation with any contact I edit, that I'm not able to delete, although those eventually get bumped down and off the list.

As for TeslaUnread it wants notification bar access so that it can add unread counts to various apps such as FB and Gmail, in addition to just SMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ninmeister posted:

Since I've gotten the Hangouts 5.0 update, it's been nothing but a pain in the dick. Every once in awhile (multiple times a day), when I open Hangouts from a new message notification and go to respond, I get a message about message history is on and do I still want to send the message. When I hit "send" I get "the message will be sent shortly", and then never sends. If I back out from the conversation, my conversation list just sits with a white screen with the loading circle forever. The only way I can get past this is to hit the app switcher and close Hangouts. When I reopen it, it signs in and I can send messages again. What the gently caress is up with that?
The new Hangouts is poo poo. I wish the US would just use Whatsapp like normal people

• Locked thread