Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Are there any app review sites worth remembering? There seems to be a billion apps or widgets for any search, and the internet is full of 'this week's top 27 awesomest apps!' pages. Lifehacker seems to have some decent/interesting android stuff but it's a bit sparse compared to their PC coverage. What's everyone's go-to when you want to find a thing to do a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Now that Grimbo's blog is gone I don't know of any. I'm guessing you mean something a bit more in depth than AppBrain.

AndroidPolice does app and game roundups every week but it's hardly easy to search or look through except as they come.

I'm new to this so I'll have a look at Appbrain, cheers - really I'd like some good resources I can search easily whenever I think of something I might want, instead of looking at random sites on the internet.

Penguissimo posted:

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but Appstorm has a lot of really good in-depth reviews of apps, with the occasional high-quality themed roundup (like "40 apps for the aspiring accountant" or "30 apps for the college student"). Definitely worth tossing into your Google Reader subscriptions.

Yeah the reviews look decent, thanks!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Pinch to zoom is finally coming to Gmail, it's about loving time.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...earchive-video/

This doesn't look like it allows you to zoom out? Gmail is already plenty zoomed for me, I hope they add a smaller text/UI option for people with bigger screens

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

There's an app called Llama that's free and does something similar by the looks of things - you can set it to learn your locations, then create events that are triggered when you arrive or leave and at certain times or whatever. You can set it to give you notifications and launch other apps and stuff, so maybe you can get it to do some useful things

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Any apps that will let me stream YouTube videos in the background? So I can (say) watch a presidential debate, jump over to a chat window to laugh about it, still hearing mrrmrrmrrrrr in the background, and then hop back to the video without having to restart it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I use PVSTAR+. It's a japanese app but it serves its purpose very well. It also allows loading of playlists.

Thanks, this is kinda what I was looking for (the other recommendation just seems to be for audio?) but unfortunately it doesn't seem to handle live streams, so I was foiled again

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

UK crew (and maybe others), Google Music is now legit open for your uploading needs

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 13, 2012

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Lies!

"We're sorry. The Google Play music player is currently only available in the United States."

Although I guess technically it's the 13th over there.

Also how do I ensure (check) that Google Now will remind me about a shipment I am getting from FedEx?

Maybe you need to update the Music app on your phone, I did that first. Then I did the site signup, but when I ran Music it had a similar 'LET'S DO THIS THING' process so I think it's connected to the app somehow. Basically update that and see!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Um, it can, that's the whole point.

I think Dr Cruise means some kind of barcode-scanning system or whatever, so you can add CDs without having to rip them first. Unless I'm missing something it just fingerprints the files in your library and checks if it already has a copy on their servers to save you the upload

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well someone pointed out you could just walk into a music store and scan away, but yeah I'd way prefer snapping pics of my CD collection over putting them all in my drive one-by-one. But that would still be better than ripping them all, plus it would be pretty much bulletproof identification, so if they can do something like that then awesome

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Who hasn't ripped their CDs by now? Hell they're not even putting optical drives in computers anymore so if you haven't yet it might be a good time to start.

It's me, I'm the guy. It's mainly stuff I don't listen to much, but I don't really have the time or inclination to sit through the process, so if there was an easy way of getting them magically computerfied I'd be pretty happy. Plus some of the stuff I *did* rip was in the format of the future, OGG

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

How hard is it? Put the CD in, iTunes automatically does literally everything, CD pops out, insert next CD? Of course the even easier way was :filez: which is what everybody did and why most people's metadata is poo poo which leads to even worse ideas like having your music player read from a folder structure.

Well I just ripped a CD and it took 10 minutes, so it means sitting there, swapping each of 100 or however many CDs I haven't ripped over the span of many hours, even longer if I'm not hanging around ready to swap discs the moment they're done. It's just a bit of a project I've not been motivated to take on

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is there any app or set of apps that would allow me to, at a specified time, turn on my Bluetooth, connect to a device, max out the volume, and then play a music file?

I'm pretty sure Llama will let you do all this

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Joramun posted:

Can anybody recommend me a good video player for Android that can play video files sped up without distorting the sound or changing the pitch? GOM Player can do this on Windows (up to 4x sped up, but even just 2x would be sufficient for my needs) but it doesn't seem to be available for Android, so I'm looking for an alternative.

DICE Player does this, although 2x is a bit hard to understand - I guess it depends what you're listening to though. It'll do background play and a popup window too, if those are any use for your nefarious activities

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gyshall posted:

Also re: GoodNews - can I get it to hide tags from Google Reader that don't have articles to read?

If you mean on the main page, the Show All / Show New button (the kind of sun icon they use for read/unread) will show all your feeds or just the ones with unread items

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I was playing with this last night since I (finally) got the update, it took me a while to work out exactly how the two-finger thing was working. I'm still pretty slow with it, but I bet once you get both hands working together you can swipe like a fiend.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Well unintended or not it's already proving useful on my N7. I can't really see it being useful on a phone though.

It's just an extension of two-thumb typing really, there are some situations where it just feels more comfortable (and it's somehow hard to think of them now, but that's how I discovered the two-finger swiping in the first place). It definitely feels buggy though - try swiping "let's" with two fingers, even when you hit the L dead on and keep it there you get all kinds of words starting with P half the time. It's pretty inconsistent, but it'll probably get refined

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You can use Llama too, it's free so worth a try. It'll do the ringing thing too (noisy contacts)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Jelly bean.

I'm sure Tasker would probably do all this better, but Llama's free. Maybe I should just get Tasker.

Can Tasker do something like "When leaving home wifi - enable lockscreen"?

One problem I'm having with Llama is that it uses the cell towers, and I live too close to work for it to always be effective. Like right now, I'm at both home and work.

But that's not the same issue really.

http://kebabapps.blogspot.co.uk/p/faq.html

Have a look at the wifi polling bit, that might help you with the home thing.

It also says that the lockscreen thing is buggy at the moment, so there might not be anything you can do about htat right now

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

RVProfootballer posted:

I just started using Google Reader and wanted to try out GoodNews. It looks like GoodNews is strictly for consuming the content, and I can't add or organize stuff there? Is that right? It isn't a big deal, but I wanted to see if I was missing something. I'm guessing after a week or two I won't be making many changes and can ignore Reader and use only GoodNews.

Unless I'm missing something yeah, it's just for reading and listening to podcasts. Think of Reader as like a management app for setting up your feeds and so on, not something you need to mess with on a regular basis, and GoodNews is a convenient way of consuming that content. You may as well install it and try it out, you can use the two side by side and see how they compare. GoodNews syncs with Reader, so articles only get marked as read when you actually read them and whatever.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

HTJ posted:

Android noob question about music storage: I have uploaded my library to Play through the Music Manager, but downloading even an album to my phone via the Play Music app is painfully slow (it took over an hour to do 1% of 2,000 tracks, although streaming is fine).

Downloading the entire library on to my desktop is much faster, so I'm now trying that (the thinking being that it will be downloaded in Google's preferred structure/format). How can I put some of the albums on the Nexus 4 and will the Music app recognise the songs as the same as those in the library and mark them as being on the device?

I'm not totally sure but I think if you drop them in your Music folder it'll work. I already had some on there before I got to upload to ~the cloud~, I had a couple of duplicates but I think that might have been a changed tag issue. If your files are identical, try dropping an album on there and see what happens.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The android design people did a mockup of Holo Tasker recently, which might give you a flavour of how it could look

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12/04/what-taskers-ui-could-be-as-imagined-by-the-android-team-video/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Mister Snips posted:

I've been trying to download vice city and it's just getting stuck on "downloading"

This was after pressing download and waiting about five minutes

Is it a play store problem

Is it downloading that whole 1.39GB at once? I'm guessing that would take more than five minutes, and installation in general might be a bit slow maybe

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Good point - I had the same issue when YouTube updated the other day actually, I closed the Play Store app but the notification was stuck on Downloading or Installing. Maybe restart the installation and see what happens? Or look in your Downloads app, I don't know if it would show up there though

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Is there any reason not to use the bookmarklets in the android browser? You can have them in your favourites, and once you're logged into your account through the main website, you can open the favourites screen and click a bookmarklet to fill in passwords or forms. No need for copy and paste.

(I'm pretty sure I got this from the lastpass site, so I'm assuming it's secure?)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Does anyone use the hover word thing on 4.2? I turned it off because I honestly can't see the point - when you finish swiping the word it's either right or it isn't, and the predicted word changes so much during the swipe that you can't tell if you've done something that will end up wrong, so even if you're slow it doesn't seem to give you any useful information. I'm just confused about what it's even for

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Easily my favorite part of the 4.2 keyboard as it means I don't have to look at the suggestion bar before moving on to the next word. It allows you me to skip having to proofread before sending like is necessary with Swype. I really like Swype and the 4.2 keyboard both but each have annoyances.

But unless you're constantly following your finger you still have to look somewhere when you're done, right? And the suggestion bar tells you if a correct alternative is available if the main suggestion is wrong. If I'm looking at the keyboard at all I'm looking where my finger's going to go next, not where it is now, and the hover box just gets in the way.

I mean it obviously works for you do maybe it's a good feature to have - maybe I'll try staring at it and see if it clicks

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

GoodNews is a nice news reader that integrates with Google Reader, it can sync and give you notifications of new articles.

Evernote is... basically a way of storing information, you can write notes and save webpages and take photos (including stuff with text, it does text recognition) and search it from wherever. I only just started using it but people depend on it for all kinds of things - best hit up the Evernote site for ideas.

Google Translate is awesome, it does typing and speech and handwriting recognition, even scans from the camera. There's a conversation mode too.

Google authenticator lets you use your phone for extra login security if you're into that.

There's a weather app I forget the name of, something Sky, that gives you super local weather for the near future (in the US and Canada).

You could try Field Trip for local info as you get around, if that's still a cool thing (doesn't work here).

I'm not sure what apps you get as standard, but things like Maps have some nice functionality like traffic and public transport

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Atlas Moth posted:

Evernote is a nice upgrade and Translate should come in handy too. Much appreciated.

Honestly from being recently new to smartphones myself, the best thing is to read some sites that have app news, or places like here, and if anything sounds vaguely interesting then install it and try to use it for a while.

Like I was browsing a deals site and it had the old TRY OUR APP thing, which always sounds like pointless clutter when you could just use the mobile site, but I tried it to see if the navigation was a bit better. And it was, but I also found out it lets you set up alerts for search terms, so any matching deal that's posted sends you a push notification. It's neat and without trying the app I wouldn't have got to try it.

Some other things you could try:
One of those apps that displays your store cards so you don't need to carry them around

A first aid app like the red cross one, with info for if you ever need it

Google sky map for saying 'hey what's that thing in the sky?'

Tasker or llama for automation of various things, including location- and time-aware actions. Also IFTTT for more general automation about things happening on the internet, and maybe look at getting some NFC tags.

Upload your vast music collection to something like Google Music, which integrates pretty nicely with the stock player

Have a look at things like TeamViewer for remote desktop antics, or Universal Remote for controlling specific applications

Some of the Google goggles functionality is ending up in Google Now, but you could play with the app itself - it lets you point the camera at things and recognises them, and gives you information. The future is now, friends

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Lemons posted:

PSA for those frustrated by not being able to use LastPass with Chrome:

There is a workaround!
http://0xndc.tumblr.com/post/29837855851/chrome-for-android-and-the-lastpass-bookmarklet

Works pretty well for me, too.

Edit: gently caress it, can't get the URL to format right with awful betamax.

Yeah I mentioned that earlier - it's always worked fine for me, but actually adding sites is kind of a pain (the vault is not mobile-friendly)
http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/bookmarklets/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Markovnikov posted:

So it should have come with one? I went crazy searching for an already installed browser, but I guess the carrier people hosed up and there isn't one (or I'm just stupid, and can't find it; I'm pretty sure it's not where the other apps are). THere's a whole load of other crap that I will never care about pre-installed though :downs:.

I think it's usually at the bottom of your home screen, one of the icons on the bottom row, like a globe. I have the stock browser (as in stock Android) and it's honestly totally fine. As for apps it sort of depends, a lot of sites give you a decent mobile version, but for some (like say Amazon) you might have a better experience with the specialised app

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 4, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

No, google hasn't made the API public yet.

At this point I think it's been almost two years since Google Music has went public, so maybe they never will.

But it's also two months since they made it available outside North America, along with their big Nexus 4 push, so they're at least getting more serious with it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Synnr posted:

I've come to understand that only past certain versions this works. It certainly doesn't on my droid x. There isn't a dropdown menu like the gmail app has.

I have a dropdown, but if I keep hitting the Talk icon I get back to the accounts screen, where I can set my status(es) and add accounts with a button at the top. Do you at least have that screen?

And I don't really know how this works with non-stock, can't you upgrade the basic Google apps through the play store? Or is it only certain ones that allow it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I haven't actually used anything else, but imo seems to be pretty popular these days.

bull3964 posted:

The Talk app hasn't been broken out in the play store yet.

Droid X is a Gingerbread phone. The major Talk enhancements came in ICS.

Ah right, makes sense

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

spincube posted:

Hate to re-post, but this is bugging me; after selecting the appropriate album cover art, it just sits there as though I'd clicked 'cancel'. Logging in/out, rebooting, even another browser isn't working. Could one of you guys verify?

Yeah, same here. Honestly you might be better fixing them on your computer and reuploading

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

az jan jananam posted:

What is the best photo retouching app so I can easily fix the awful pictures the Gnex takes?

I've been playing with Pixlr Express, which has a lot of decent editing tools, but the built-in Gallery editor with 4.2 is pretty ok in a pinch (the Sharpen tool is hosed up though, I get some weird sensor pattern and there's no radius adjustment to try and tweak it)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It does so long as you've downloaded it in the Language and Input settings - although US English doesn't have an uninstall option so maybe it's there by default, but that's where you can check anyway

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

brc64 posted:

It lists English (US) as downloaded there. Any idea why it would be hanging on voice input? Would this be a better question for the general Android thread?

Not really sure, you could always disable all data and see if it still works (so you know it's being done on the device itself) and go from there.

I'd like to help more but my phone is also loving up and running like crap, high five!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Noticeable Dickvein posted:

They do. Just checked. I am ripping them to PC with win amp and just connecting the phone via USB cable and dragging the album folder over. It only happens on ripped albums, downloaded stuff works fine.

I don't know about the stock player specifically, but check your tags are exact - track numbers for each song, matching disc numbers, matching artists, matching album artists, matching years... that kind of thing. I know Play Music is really picky about this stuff, if some things don't match it will treat songs as from different albums

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

nigga crab pollock posted:

It works absolutely flawlessly. no problems at all, except for that one problem. and that other one. But yup, it's flawless.

Whenever i go to google music from the notification it won't let me seek or display the playtime of the song and i have to restart it to do anything. And when i'm trying to change the song and i'm drunk or driving i have no patience for poo poo WHERE DID EVERYTHING GO HOW DO I PLAY THIS SONG

I know 'doesn't happen to ME' isn't a helpful response, but that sounds like something's hosed up rather than Play Music being that way. I just had an issue with Talk - laggy as poo poo, messages taking forever to send and show up, messages not appearing at all, the interface refusing to draw various elements - and a factory reset cleared it right up. Now it's back to its usual snappy self. Play Music has some crappy design choices, but apart from that it works, and your poo poo ain't working for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Bet you anything the tags don't match perfectly. All the tags. It's finicky as hell about album art filenames and stuff too

• Locked thread