Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

demolition rickshaw posted:

I noticed on the narration in the EMH intro that Thor is not a "god" of thunder but a "prince". Did they seriously switch that out? Come the gently caress on.
Probably trying to cut off things like,
"Well if he's a GOD then why doesn't he..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cliff Racer posted:

No, they used sonic waves to destroy it, we never got a look at the weapon, or at least I don't remember seeing it. It could easily just be some deus ex bullshit device from one of the Light's humans.
I saw the rebroadcast from this morning. You get a slight look at the sonic gun, and it's blue (what parts aren't in shadow) and pretty much exactly like Jaime's.

Plus there's the fact that Shadowy Robot Voice Guy calls people "Meat".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this? posted:

They also introduced the Anti-Monitor and brought back the Manhunters. So far they haven't really said what was up with the Anti-Monitor so who knows what they're going to do with the backstory, all we know is that he reactivated the Manhunters.

With the Anti-Monitor around, they open the door to AM getting trapped in a Black Lantern battery!.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

achillesforever6 posted:

also is that the only voice Cree Summers can do?

She can also do "slightly older sultry sounding". And if she tweaks it a little, she gets "slightly younger, squeaky chipmunk".

but yeah, it's pretty much those three.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AlternateNu posted:

Not to fanboy sperg too much, but just being able to seamlessly tie BB (and even Zeta and Static) into the JLU series was ridiculous. Hell, they even had Mandragora's son first appear in the Beyond episode with the physic organization. Those kinds of call-outs and that kind of plot-weaving in a kid's show are never going to happen in our lifetime again, will it?
It's the equivalent of Johns writing Green Lantern for like 10 years.

If the CN DC Nation fiasco is any indication, we'll have to be happy to settle for competently written plot arcs, much less interconnected series.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

I think it's really weird that swear words and flipping the bird are still taboo in most comics, considering the 2-page splashes of mutilation and graphic murder.
Terry Moore had a great rant about this during the CBLDF Artists' Jam at SDCC.

Basically, we can draw, in great detail, the disemboweling of a character but the minute we see a nipple poo poo hits the fan.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

E the Shaggy posted:

It was loving awful in the weirdest way.

It was one of the earliest DTV efforts by WB, wasn't it? Explains maybe why they were trying to hook people into the purchase with the DiniTimm models.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

One thing that always bothered me about Batman Beyond was that I could never pin down exactly how much their cars could fly.
Some Wayne-Powers types can afford the Gallardo Maybach R8 style ultracars that are essentially mini jets.

Meanwhile, the McGuiness family is plunking around on C-Trans busses, or in the family Kia Hummingbird hoverwagon.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

Man, I wish we could just get a show of all these shorts (and that said show was on later in the day when I'd be conscious to watch it).
Not getting an Amethyst short, even if it was a 15 minute AS type deal, is criminal in my opinion.

What A DC Cartoon would be great. They actually did a great job appealing to girls (the Batgirl/Supergirl/WonderGirl shorts were great, as were the designs). But something like that would mean an investment into the series' they develop.

And, well, that'd just be retarded wouldn't it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lobok posted:

Q&As are terrible, always and forever.
They have the potential to be ok, but you seriously need someone to screen and reject dumbshit questions and creepy-rear end nerdlingers. As it goes, it's a mad dash to the mic, where the first two people usually make poo poo up on the spot so they can just address the panelists.

But if they would begin a screening process, give the panel 10 minutes to finish up their bullshit spiel, then open the floor to the approved folks, things would be a lot smoother.

Granted, that won't solve the problem of the panel addressing the audience with pre-canned PRspeak, but at least you'll avoid questions like "What would Han Solo say to Indiana Jones?!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lobok posted:

I guess it could come up again with Dr. Doom. It wasn't an issue with Iron Man since they were able to do helmet cam.
You don't ever really need to see Doom's face, though. It's part of his bombastic nature (and it keeps him from being humanized, if you think about it).

IronCam worked because it also offered a chance to show some of the UI stuff that Stark worked into the suit. So you not only got the acting, you also got some of that character flavor from the technology side.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I don't see why they couldn't just reboot a previous iteration.

Power armor for everyone!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ToastyPotato posted:

Disney just flat out let MVC die for no reason. It was still the second biggest game at EVO this year as well.
To be fair, given Capcom's ability to handle their properties, it probably would have withered away anyway.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah I guess, I kind of don't like his subsequent appearances in the DCAU.
He's kind of divorced from purpose and turns into a shapeshifting mook for the most part. Which is a shame.

Though, the episode where he pisses the gently caress out of Robin 2.0 is pretty heartwrenching and surprisingly complex.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McSpanky posted:

On the DVDs for "Mudslide" they said they didn't reuse Clayface for a long time because they had a hard time coming up with another premise for such a deeply personal issues-driven character, same as Mr. Freeze. But eventually they got over it because he just had too much potential as a powerful physical threat for the heroes to overcome.
I think they missed a nice opportunity to have some random third party characters come in and try to exploit Hagan for personal gain. Basically turn him into a lab animal to that they can (profit off his shape-changing, iono) and have Bats bust it up.

Gives Clayface a nice way to either salvage or forgo his humanity.

And then in the Christmas special he can come back and hit Nightwing with mallet-hands or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

Oh it deserves mad props, I honestly wish a show featuring C-list villains rather than just doing Joker again would succeed, but it was just aggressively mediocre.
It was aggressively UGLY.

Like, in a way that made GL's N64 CGI look good.
Like, in a way that made peanut-headed The Batman look like a solid design choice.

They followed up Brave and the Bold's great design with garbage. They were given BTAS riddler and delivered Gotham Knights' EmoRiddler with a side of The Batman's Marilyn Manson Riddler.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

People love that version but I don't see it. Scarecrow should be scrawny to me. That just looks like the Undertaker.
Non-coincidentally, I also liked Ezekiel Rage from The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

goldenoreos posted:

I think for TV they're just going to focus on their live action shows because those are the current sweethearts to the public's eye.
Which is a shame because it just takes a Constantine or something for people to say 'yeah, Arrow and Flash are good but stay the fuvk away from Titans or Gotham or...'

Meanwhile they could have had an Adventure Time/Steven Universe-like show with Amethyst and they killed that.

Or a Titans Go! Companion with SuperBestestBFFs (whatever that teen Wonder/Super/Bat-Girl short was called) and that died a horrible stillborn death.

Or continued Yj/GL.

Darkseid doesn't need the AntiLife equation. He can just hire the middle management from Warner Bros and make everything suck balls.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm fairly sure that factors into Multiversity somehow.
Nix Uotan is really Geoff Johns, who was a fan of comics, got himself in to the business, then went native and is now actively undoing/GrimDarking poo poo in the bright universe he once appreciated.

This applies to most comic fans, really.

redbackground posted:

An outside force threatens the multiverse. The multiverse teams up to fight back.
Turns out comics are message posts/warning beacons from nth space and, much like that Darkwing Duck episode, catalogue events that have/will happen In other realities.

Also there's one super cursed comic that serves as a doorway to ruin.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KomradeX posted:

They never seem to learn that people resond to good writing instead they just want to spam out crappy grim dark bs, or a grim dark as kids cartoons will allow
I'll never stop laughing over the guys that took 90s grimdark superstars WildC.A.T.S and UltraForce, gave them the G.I Joe treatment and turned them into lukewarm SatAM properties.

As bad as BatB' cancelation was, Ted McGinley Aquaman was a great joke.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

He-man is deep in the 80s, everyone who'd remember him would be far too old to watch cartoons by then. It wasn't a bad show, but big muscly men fighting skeletons wasn't nearly as trendy as 10 year olds with insane hair playing dumb card games.
I was, I think, done with my first year of college when it premiered and it was supremely my poo poo. It was a faux anime (as in DBZesque fights) with some attempt to actually use the setting to world build.

Unfortunately CN didnt want an action cartoon that post-teens could discuss on the net at the time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

goldenoreos posted:

Batman fighting against an army of robot animals with his superhero pals is a concept too good for this Batman Unlimited franchise.
Dear god, that has Toyetic written all over its dumb face.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Anora posted:

What is with the Jubilee hate?

To build on the 90s hate, she's the audience surrogate for season One (much how Kitty was in Pryde of the XMen), but she's written in such a way that makes her not entirely interesting to the audience.

And really, as the XMen movie proved, everyone wants Logan to be the surrogate :clint:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Srice posted:

I'm confident that it would always have ended with the bad guys talking behind the scenes about how ~everything went exactly as planned~.

Timeskip was bad (from a character standpoint). The Light was bad (from a cliche'd "we need the story to head in this direction and will disregard what individual episodes add"). Schedule fuckery was bad (making folks just give up on the series / helping to destroy the little DC block they had going).

Looks like it was just a long buildup to showing how the adult JL was mistrusted by the world but their scampy little Jr Justice Pals saved the day so they must truly have surpassed the league and are now the heirs apparent.

Also the Superdeadbeat Kal El subplot was really good. I liked that he was skeeved out by Conner.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They did! Chris Kent was in it and it kind of sucked balls!

WickedHate posted:

It has a pretty decent ending moment but other than that I really can't think of anything good about it.
It posits that all it takes for a good man to be brought down is a tiny little pebble amidst an already poo poo day. Just one bad day that's so perfectly bad, the guy has no choice but to poo poo all over the social contract because gently caress You Guys I'm Out.

In one corner, The Joker, who was driven mad by one such accident. In the other (and the man that should be our saviour) is a man who had a supremely poo poo day as a child and ended up permanently damaged by it.

I mean, technically Joker's point is made. Jim Gordon just gets dragged into it because why the gently caress not. And the story of Job in Gotham is a pretty good hook, ya dig.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wasn't there also some kind of justification on Bruce's part that basically boiled down to "Thank god that I can finally give YOU the mantle to Blackwing, Poochie Luke, who is the person I originally intended to serve on my board of multiethnic Bat-Analogues!"?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Another point for YJ's seeming resurgence online: CN dicked their timeslot around a few times or something. I know I lost track of it early on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ToastyPotato posted:

Batman Future's End would be cool for a mini-series type thing though, but only if they got the Dini/Timm crew back.
I can't imagine they end up doing FE. Grimdark roasted Flash is bad, but biomechanical Cronenburgbots is a little much.

Plus most of that story suuuuuuuucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

quote:

for me it's how much of an rear end in a top hat move it is to Batman's surrogate son that's the issue, not the age difference.
God almighty this quote.

"Hey I don't mind the creepy age difference, the power imbalance of a mentor loving someone in his care, or the way the actions instantly become something Batman rejects in the film... but why Bats gotta do his Batbro dirty like that"?

Thank god for Lego Batman.

DC Animated features have been on quite the downturn for a while now. It's like they stopped caring after the Superman film where Spike the Vampire had a BDSM superbot to make him feel alive again.

• Locked thread