Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, got my OTA for 4.3 for my 2012 Nexus 7. Bricked it. Stuck on the X at bootup. Any advice? Stock device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

1st AD posted:

Power off, get into the bootloader, restore the factory image?

Or does the OTA delete the old image? I can't remember.

No choice to restore image in the bootloader. Even if it wipes, that's no issue.

Did the factory reset, wiped data, still won't get past the X.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 27, 2013

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I didn't take a screen shot but I used my nexus 7 really heavily yesterday and got just over 7 hours of screen-on time. That was with auto brightness too, I probably could've squeezed an extra hour out of it if I set it a bit lower.

I have a 14 hour flight coming up in a few days so it's good to know I won't really have any issues with the battery during the trip.

For those kinds of flights (I used to fly to/from Korea 4 times a year), it's worth it to buy the rechargeable external batteries.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Heh, it actually is Korea I'm flying to. Do you have a specific one you can recommend? I'm not too worried about it since I'll be doing music through my phone and I plan on sleeping for at least a few hours of the flight, but it'll be nice to have just in case.

It's been a while, but I'd suggest buying based on physical size you can easily carry. Amazon has a ton of them. Juicebars look easily portable, but I haven't used one.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My dodo case is excellent. Well worth the $40, looks, feels just like a moleskin.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

frameset posted:

A similar deal is available from Currys website, use the code TABL5 on checkout to save 5% on tablets and tablet accessories. Makes the N7 16GB £190

Has anyone else had a problem with Netflix on the new N7?

Whenever I launch it I get a 15001 no Netflix service error. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling clearing data, clearing the data of the google services program, and I've also gotten the latest updates to both Netflix and the system software.

Anyone else in the same boat?

had it, googled it, Netflix told me the fix, which worked fine, but I forget. I think clear the cache in the app.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, the Nexus Player is Amazon Fire TV? Same remote, same game pad? But, no access to Amazon Prime streaming. Winner.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Comrade Flynn posted:

Neat. I heard you can expand the memory easily, is that true?

Yes, with one caveat. You have to name the SD card before it is generally readable by file managers. Simple solution, but nvidia never mentions it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My Shield tablet was killing me, making me regret passing my 13 nexus 7 to the wife. Finally stopped all use of chrome, installed dolphin, and have a tablet that doesn't freeze, stutter, or close itself. drat, chrome sucks these days.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SlayVus posted:

Do yourself a favor and buy a high capacity microSD card. I plan on dropping back down to KK though since my memory editing apps don't work anymore in lollipop. Personal suggestion, Samsung's Pro line. I get 50/70 write read speeds with it through the tablet itself, rated for 70/100.

And name the volume before using it. The tablet just won't allow much use with an unnamed card.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Nintendo Kid posted:

Do you have root? You need root for full access.

Not really. I've only named the volume and I can install apps to the card and store files.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Glad I saw this after my update. No problems for me, which is unusual, since I get all the bugs. Update is stable and a nice upgrade if it works.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Rythe posted:

Does anybody know any tips and tricks to clearing the internal memory of the Kindle Fire to free up some room as the Wi-Fi gets disabled with low memory? I have used the ES File manager app to try and clear as much junk as I can and the Kindle Fire built in storage menu but that didn't allow me to clear any apps and I am sitting at 5.8g of 6g used.

I had to reset my son's. There was no way we had actually used 5.8 of 6, same as you. I deleted every app, every video, every photo. Still at 5.7 or so. The total of apps and the rest listed was less than a gig. The OS is loving something up. Did a system reset, reloaded the apps, had 5 gig left unused.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Incessant Excess posted:

One of the reasons I have an iPad is that there weren't any Google made tablets available at the time, however, I've not really become a fan of iOS and am considering switching back. I usually stick with Pixel phones because I don't really like manufacturers making changes to notifications, memory management and having duplicate system apps. In those aspects, how close is the Galaxy Tab S8 to something like the Pixel? Should I expect that stuff to be pretty different or mostly the same as on a Pixel? The Tab S8 because it seems to be the only real solid mid-range to high-end option. I've spent a little bit of time with the Xiaomi Pad 5 but wasn't a big fan.

Wait a bit, like a couple of weeks. The Lenovo Y700 gaming tablet should be out.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bull3964 posted:

I really want that thing, but there's no confirmation yet that they are releasing in the US.

Same here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, it's literally all I really want out of an Android Tablet, but I'm not importing it.

I have the import. Painful first days, but drat, a great tablet once you've got it mostly in english, working Play app. All the apps update, everything works lightning fast. Great tablet.