Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SaltyJesus posted:

To contribute to the thread here is a great scrolling gallery of minimal movie posters. (From the aptly named Minimal Movie Posters tumblr.)

I find most 'posters' in this style pretty stupid and obnoxious, but this one really takes the cake.

Seriously, it's somehow even worse than that Matrix poster with the battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I love the idea behind that poster, and parts of it look really cool (I love the hand), but Daniel Radcliffe himself and the title font look pretty wonky.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

Guy Pearce was in the Best Picture last year, just saying.

He was also in Animal Kingdom last year and that movie loving ruled.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Is that Bodie from The Wire?

No.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Everyone talking about how The Social Network poster keeps getting ripped off knows that they just bit that design from Michael Clayton, right?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

There isn't much "body horror" though, maybe the final scene but it's nothing crazy.

Uh, out of curiosity, when was the last time you watched it? Cuz I just rewatched it recently and there's a loving lot of it.

Maybe not as much as The Fly, but that's like the Citizen Kane of body horror.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

Same idea, infinitely better execution.

It's not bad, but that woman really looks like Klaus Kinski in that drawing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

She's literally so terrible to watch that I started rooting for the pedophile near the end

Admit it, you were rooting for the pedophile from the beginning, weren't you?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, God, I am sick of all these horse-racing movies!

what?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Unleashed was cheesy fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Tom Waits with a bunny rabbit makes that poster rule.

Martin Mcdonagh making a movie with that cast makes it rule, holy poo poo how have I not heard of this?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pick Hard posted:

The sequel to Pontypool. The movie's writer posted this on his Facebook page.

Well, the poster is already better than the entire first movie was.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Midnight Meat Train is one of those movies that's not nearly bad enough to deserve its reputation but not really good enough to compel me to defend it.

The original short story's pretty cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ez posted:

I think those five are the best Mondo posters I've ever seen.

Hell, the Dracula one is kinda better than the actual movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Watch your tongue, Lt. Won't be having people talk ill of Dracula.

Maybe it gets way better in the second half but I've never made it that far. I won't argue that Lugosi and Frye aren't great, but it probably wouldn't even make my top five list of "Movies with Dracula in the title."

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 30, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I only just found out about it a couple days ago, it's definitely up near the top of my most-anticipated-movies pile now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Just be thankful that it wasn't credited with Bobby Digital.

Story by RZA
Screenplay by The RZA
Starring Bobby Digital
Directed by Bobby Steeles

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Has there ever been a good movie with the premise of "take an old fairy tale but make it badass?" Hansel & Gretel looks terrible, Red Riding Hood was criminally boring and bad, The Brothers Grimm was stupid, Van Helsing was awful. Has anyone ever made something like that but had it turn out even halfway decent?

Since when was Van Helsing based on a fairy tale?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Well if we're stretching that "genre" I just made up to fit Hellboy I think Van Helsing fits in there. Also just the general attitude and feel of the movie is right at home with the rest of that bunch.

Well I mean if you're counting Dracula is a fairy tale, then yes, there have been lots of good Dracula movies. Hell, there's even been one genuinely great Van Helsing solo movie(Brides of Dracula).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Has Jeremy Renner ever been in something good and, more importantly, been good in something? The guys got a lot of fans and a lot of opportunistic in the business, for some reason. He's about as bland and uninteresting as they get.

He absolutely rules in 28 Weeks Later. He's very good in The Hurt Locker and The Town also.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's Terrence Malick, so I assume it's just a lot of people staring off into the middle distance while you can hear their inner monologue.

Bingo. I love the other Malick movies I've seen, but this one was so corny as to border on self-parody.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ragging on Bono is fun and all but like you said, the mainstream shift towards actual hatred comes from something really twisted. It's bizarre.

My sister works in public health as well as animal rescue, so she's involved with charity on a couple fronts. She says in those circles "Bono" is a recognized term for someone who you have to be nice to because they're contributing to great things but is totally obnoxious to actually talk to/be around.

So I don't think it's that weird, is I guess what I'm saying. Who hasn't known someone like that?

Edit: This is a really strange derail. How did we end up talking about this again?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A movie poster doesn't need to tell you what the movie is about, it just needs to get you interested. That The Wind Is Rising one gets me interested.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

^^^^^I can't speak for the rest, but Parents is actually a really good movie and not at all in the class of cheese those posters suggest.

Rabid Grannies is 10x better.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Lost for words.

Huh, so that's where that band got their name.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

So it's fine for Borat and GWTDT to do it but when SoaD do it it's dumb?

Yes. When System of a Down do anything, it's dumb.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DarkSol posted:

I think the bigger question is, why would anyone pay money to see Jennifer Aniston strip?

Congratulations, you're an internet weirdo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Terminal Entropy posted:

Because it is suppose to be Selina Kyle.

Yeah, she whistled out bats all the time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A lot of Chaykin's modern stuff is very not good, but all y'all slamming his Star Wars poster are fuckin' crazy. That poo poo rules.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sockser posted:

I'd say a movie drastic example is Terminator 2. Arnie is the bad guy in Terminator 1, and as the movie begins he dons beats the gently caress out of a bunch of dudes and dons some badass bike leather, while Robert Patrick takes the form of a cop and goes looking for John Connor. Up until the showdown at the mall, there's really no indication which terminator is the good guy and which is the bad guy. It's really cool, directorally.

I've heard this argument before, but isn't the first thing Robert Patrick does in that movie murder a cop?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can't the US call it Braindead yet?

Dead-Alive is a better title.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This rules. I really need to rewatch that movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hahaha holy poo poo. That's hilarious. It looks like one of those west-African knockoff movie posters.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 17, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Satantango's 7.5 hours and that movie's dope as hell. Not in some "oh, how ballsy, he made an eight hour movie!" way either, it's just a really good movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

Lars hit that point way back in The Five Obstructions.

The movie is about a Director remaking their own short film five times in different ways at Lars' request (in theory, one time he throws a tantrum and tells the guy to just make whatever. He also outright asks the director to explain all the symbolism in his movie).

However, there is no actual "fifth obstruction" - the film ends with a black-and-white montage, with Lars reading a letter he wrote about himself, to himself. That is the end of the movie.

I mean I'm just saying that's the most pretentious thing I've ever seen, and I went to film school.

No offense but I don't think you got the ending to that movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

Could you explain it to me, then? I don't know how it can be viewed as anything other than incredibly self-indulgent, but it's been 5+ years since I've seen it.

Well I mean part of it is I just think maybe you're remembering it wrong. For one, Lars Von Trier is not the person reading the voiceover at the end; Jordan Leth is. And the fifth obstruction is not "there is no fifth obstruction," it's that Jordan Leth is forced to assume directorial credit for a version of the film that was entirely prepared by Lars Von Trier, and read from a script that Von Trier wrote from Leth's point of view as if they were his own words. Essentially, the challenge of the fifth obstruction is that Leth is denied artistic input entirely and forced to take credit for a film he didn't make.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In other words, a prank.

Oh most definitely, but that's kinda the point: the big theme of the movie is authorship, and the fifth obstruction is the most direct expression of that. The two big questions that the viewer comes away with are (1) whose film is this really, Leth's or Von Trier's, and (2) given that these explanations are coming out of the mouths of two extremely notorious cinematic pranksters, why should we believe anything that they say? It's a lot like F for Fake in that regard.

It's funny to hear The Five Obstructions being called out as Von Trier at his worst because in my experience it's been the one film that even Von Trier haters appreciate.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This poster sucks and also what the hell is it even a poster for

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

4:3 is always good. All 4:3 all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I actually thought it was Dolph Lundgren. This is some weird Identikit poo poo going on.