Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

frameset posted:

Is anyone else up to date on Deadly Class? Not sure where they're going next with this one.

I actually checked whether it was cancelled after reading the latest issue (it doesn't appear to be). New main character? Miraculous healing? I guess we'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Holy poo poo, Shutter 22.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

Weird Detective #1 is out and it's interesting.

I liked it quite a bit, but I'm from Canada so...

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Is there a Mignolaverse thread anywhere or is this it?

I'm excited/sad to see the main Hellboy-related titles winding down. This week's BPRD was pretty great and I loved the crossover with Hellboy in Hell.

It looks like the retro BPRD titles will carry on, at least.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

AD is worth all the reading, IMO.
As a bonus, it told me there's a new Lemire written/drawn series coming that I didn't know about.

I liked it too. For those on the fence, it's only about 50% prose, and most of the time not full pages.

The ad for Lemire's new series was a pleasant surprise for me as well. The guy's had a hell of a 2016 and I look forward to seeing what next year brings.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

site posted:

Dang, a bunch more than i was expecting that's cool thanks guys!

And big ups to Connellingus good post *thumbs up emoji*

Adding to the list, one of the main supporting characters in Shutter is trans.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Space Fish posted:

Baltimore is BACK, baby!

Definitely good news there. In other exciting returns (spoilers for an Image release) I was shocked to see Marcus back in Deadly Class this week. I thought they'd committed pretty thoroughly to his death and I'm wondering how they'll tie everything back together.

Thom and the Heads posted:

I'm pretty new to this whole comic-reading thing but I'm looking for the best indie horror/mystery stuff that has come out in the past few years. So far I'm looking to pick up Providence, Baltimore and Locke and Key. Anything that is considered "essential"? Bonus points if I don't need to buy 15+ TPBs to get the story.

Hellboy and the BPRD involve a lot of reading but you can probably get them for relatively cheap these days and I found the investment totally worth it. I've been enjoying Harrow County lately - it's sort of a southern US mystical horror series.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 1, 2017

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but how do you guys recommend ordering the Hellboy / BPRD / off-shoot comics? I was doing them in sequential order, based off of date then arc (151 - Abe Sapien 9-11; 152 - BPRD 115-119; 153 - Abe Sapien 12; etc) but the release schedule makes things difficult.

Is there a good sequential list out there that I can follow, or should I just organize them by title and not worry too much about callbacks to other issues? (i.e. "See Hellboy #14.)

I forget how I specifically went through the older volumes, but you can probably trust these guys.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Shovelmint posted:

It seems like Remender does half of Image's line, how is his other stuff?

Deadly Class and Black Science are two of the books I look forward to the most from month to month, and Seven To Eternity seems to be off to an interesting start. He's certainly a writer I pay pretty close attention to.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Anyone else pick up Royal City yesterday? I'm a sucker for Jeff Lemire, but I thought it did a good job of establishing the setting and characters, and there was a good hook in there too. Looking forward to more!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Oh man, heck of a Shutter this month. I wasn't aware things were starting to wind down, but it's been a good run and I look forward to the last few issues.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

I started reading East of West and really liked it. How is the rest of the series?

I like it a lot but I sometimes have a hard time keeping up as it's pretty dense. Probably easier to follow in trades.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I didn't even realize BPRD Hell on Earth ended. Is anything planned afterwards or is it just going to basically merge with Abe Sapien?

Abe Sapien also ended.

There's​ a new BPRD ongoing starting this summer I think.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

IUG posted:

So thanks to this forum (maybe this thread) I picked up the Hellboy library edition Volume 1. I liked it, but the second story, Wake the Devil, referenced a story that's in volume 2, The Chained Coffin. I looked on Wikipedia and around, and everything still says that Volume 1 is the first two trades. Did the trades come out in a different order than the release order?

Some of the backup/one-off stories aren't presented in chronological order in the trades. The reading order is a bit complicated and I remember finding that confusing as well.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

This month's Astro City was about a cat with superpowers and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Next two issues are supposed to bring movement on the Broken Man story that's been running since the new series started in 2013 and I'm excited about that too!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

frameset posted:

Are there are any cool new indie series starting soon? My pull list is a bit light.

Unrelated to that, what's up with Nowhere Men right now?

I was just reviewing my Comixology subs and the next issue is listed as February 28, 2018 so it's either another hiatus or they're planning for the long-term.

I'm not sure what's starting soon (aside from some new BPRD), but my recent subs include Royal City, Grass Kings, Ether, and Extremity.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Just did a re-read of Shutter and enjoyed it even more in one go than I did following issue by issue (and I liked it a lot already). Lots of interesting ideas, great art, and surprisingly emotional at points. Sad to see it go, but glad to see it last as long as it did and finish in the intended way.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Whatever happened with Ether?

#5 didn't seem like a real ending, but it's no longer solicited. I don't follow creators or anything and a quick google doesn't tell me anything. I assume cancelled due to low sales?

Coincidentally, Matt Kindt just retweeted this photo two days ago:

So not cancelled I guess!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Invincible's fight against Thrag got even more ridiculous I say.

Yeah that was definitely one of the most over the top fights I've ever seen in comics. Kudos on the creativity, I guess, and the artists did really good (albeit nasty) work with the concept.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino are doing a horror series called Gideon Falls with Image starting in March, which is something that scratches basically all of my itches at once.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I thought it had been mentioned here, but I can't track it down. I'm looking for a book set in medieval times, where all the characters are anamorphic and the main character is a dog. Can anyone identify that off hand?

The Autumnlands?

There are probably others that fit the bill, though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Busiek has been having health problems for years and his output has been sporadic in general. I'd assume that's it but I can't say for sure.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Looks like Copperhead is limping to a conclusion next month.

I've really enjoyed Black Hammer so far, if I haven't mentioned previously, and the Sherlock Frankenstein tie-in is a lot of fun with interesting world-building and great art by David Rubin.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

The series is ending, or just this story arc?

I interpreted "to be concluded" at the end of the current issue as series ending, but you're right, it might just be the arc. Image website doesn't list anything after the next issue though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Oh poo poo, I didn't even remotely see the end of the latest BPRD coming.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Really good Astro City today (#50!), and for long-time readers it's a follow-up to The Nearness of You.

I'm sure the quality will keep up once they switch to longer-form stories but I hope they're still released on a semi-regular basis.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Wow, new issue of Nowhere Men in a couple of weeks. I wasn't expecting the hiatus to ever end!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

frameset posted:

loving finally. What's the release date, so I can make sure my local store don't gently caress it up?

March 14th!

Interesting developments in Saga this week. Hopefully things stay focused moving forward.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Hobo Grandpa posted:

Really curious to see where the series goes. Does anyone know of similar titles that takes the Superhero aspect out of a superhero story? I love the idea of a normal dude in a superworld.

Astro City covers both heroes and normal city residents, but there's quite a lot of the latter and it's pretty great in general.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I enjoyed East of West this week, though it's probably to the point that I'll need to do a re-read again as I've forgotten a lot of what's been going on.

Gideon Falls is off to a good start, and I also enjoyed Doctor Star as far as other Jeff Lemire stuff goes.

Sad to see Extremity is done, but 12 issue was enough to tell the main story and it was pretty great while it lasted.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Also, Ether is back next week! It was a great story with some wild art that sadly didn’t get a lot of traction, so I’m happy it’s coming back, even if just for 5 issues.

I'm looking forward to more Ether as well.

Has anyone else been picking up Isola? I'm enjoying it so far - nice combination of art and story.

Coda seems interesting too, as far as fantasy stuff goes.

I had recently mentioned Nowhere Men being in my upcoming issues list, but I think that was just some weird Comixology placeholder because it kept getting pushed back and now it doesn't show up at all. Alas!

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 12, 2018

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Deadly Class TV show trailer.

Looks like they nailed the aesthetic, though I'm not sure how the rest of it will translate. I look forward to Syfy cancelling it after 3 seasons regardless of quality.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Anyone been reading Isola or Prism Stalker? I bought the first issues but they didnt seem strong enough for me to bother with followups just yet?

I'm keeping up with Isola but Prism Stalker didn't do much for me.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Things are really picking up in Black Hammer and there were some fun references in the latest issue. All the tie ins have been pretty great too! I'm all aboard Jeff Lemire's low key superhero universe.

The latest arc of Deadly Class just finished up and it was quite a doozy.

I haven't read today's Ether yet but I'm glad to see it back.

Is anyone else reading Infidel? Interesting premise for a horror comic.

I wonder if the Invincible cartoon will be as insanely gory as the comic?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Those looks like what's tattooed on the gang members who kidnap Keanu Reeves's wife and children, only for it to lead into a rampage where Keanu fights to get them back (with maybe some support/gear by a side character played by a Danny Trejo or a John Goodman).

Speaking of tattoos and comics, I picked up Atomahawk a little while ago and I'd pretty strongly recommend it on the art alone. It was drawn by a tattoo artist and he has a really interesting style which I'd post examples of if I wasn't on my phone.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Did anyone else read The Beef? It was pretty weird overall, but I never thought a comic would have me seriously contemplating veganism.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

On the subject of food-related comics, has anyone read the first two issues of Flavor from Image?

It hasn't grabbed me as quickly as Shutter did, but it's an interesting idea and I like the art. I'm willing to give Keatinge the benefit of the doubt.

Hobo Grandpa posted:

The Beef keeps trying to hook me in, but I've yet to make the leap exactly for your reasons. It seems like it should be firmly in my camp of style of books I dig, but it's gross-out factor is just a little too high for me. It looks absolutely delightfully bizarre & twisted though.

Yeah, it was a strange mix of campy exploitation style art/plot and serious message comic about the evils of factory farming. The last issue had a ridiculous introduction featuring Gandhi explaining the rape rack with fairly explicit art, which then randomly tied back in to the main plot.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Is anyone else reading Highest House?

I'm keeping up with it and enjoying it so far. The art isn't the best but the story and setting are interesting enough.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'm a bit annoyed that Lemire spoiled the end of Descender on his own dang Twitter, but I'm looking forward to this anyway.

He also has a new ongoing with Phil Hester on the way called Family Tree. The man is a comic machine! (Though it looks like this one is over a year late.)

Press from 2016 posted:

When an eight-year-old girl literally begins to transform into a tree, her single Mom, troubled brother and possibly insane Grandfather embark on a bizarre, and heart-wrenching odyssey across the back roads of America desperately searching for a way to cure to her horrifying transformation before it’s too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Pancakes posted:

Both, but mostly the former.

It's been pretty liberal with the killings lately, though I'm not convinced Prince Robot is truly dead.

Anyone else check out The New World this week? I usually find Ales Kot to be a bit much, but this one is fairly straightforward and the art is great.