Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JcDent posted:

One time I was a Rogue Trader, I was super protective of my redshirts and always looked after Imperium's interests.

I'm weird like that.

Ugh, get a load of this guy playing Chartist Captain RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Tias posted:

Gonna run a Necromunda heist game. What kind of classic heist plots have you guys tried, and which apply well to the setting?

I am doing this with Blades in the Dark and it is incredible. Half planned jobs that spin way out of control is the best part.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Tias posted:

I can't recall having watched any good heist movies :(

I was just gonna go with Dark Heresy, but I'm listening. Is there an intro/freeware thing for BitD I can check out?

https://bladesinthedark.com/downloads

The rules summary sheet and the player playbooks are like 80% of the rules, so you can certainly get the flavor. The base setting is basically Dishonored but spooky, and it is incredibly easy to refluff to be anything.

The flashback mechanic especially is perfect for capturing the feel of heists.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I mean I am doing it in the sense that this is a campaign that I am actually running right now. The system is so narrative that the only mechanical work that has to happen is a list of Gangs and their level. The Leech is a Rogue tech priest, the Whisper is an orphan who hears voices, and the Lurk is a Window Washer.

gently caress it is fun.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Infinity has a similar system for how damage dice work. 1 is 1, 2 is 2, and then a 6 is a special effect that isn't just "more damage". Seems to work pretty well.

I don't know what to think about this system though. I have already played a ton of White Wolf games already so this system doesn't really have anything exciting. I am glad that the Old World rpg is sticking with the old system.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Uroboros posted:

lore skills and drastically cutting their purchase prices to give incentive for people to even pick them.

Get a load of this Heretic over here!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JcDent posted:

There are only two legitimate embigenings a Marine should aspire to:
1. Dreadnaught (via near martyrdom)
2. Statue (via actual martyrdom)

Please do not disrespect the humble Space Marines desire to get more and more of that sweet gene seed.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Everyone should just be playing games about the Fall of the Eldar with the Houses of the Blooded rules.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really hope the new system plays well. Having all the FFG books, it is really going to have to be an improvement to make me switch over.

Which is definitely possible, as something more streamlined would be a huge benefit.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am still sad FFG didn't get to do more Only War books.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am so down for Eldar RPG.

:sparkles:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Why not just play Stars Without Number or whatever?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

Apparently Rogue Traders will be a playable archetype for WanG as will Ork Nobs though I can’t remember if I already mentioned that last one.

More important, though, is the amazing outpouring of whining on FB every time the team puts up one of these Archetype art previews. There’s nothing really wrong with the art, but that doesn’t stop people from braying for the artist’s firing because it doesn’t meet their nebulous vision of 40k. Reminds me a lot of when the Space Hulk Deathwing trailer came out and dared to use music that wasn’t all metal or chanting or bombastic propaganda kind of stuff.

Yeah, I love that trailer. It was unfortunately the best thing about the game. :smith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Meanwhile Wrath and Glory uses a Die Pool system. We don't know too many details about the Age of Sigmar RPG.

I think they mentioned that AoS is going to use the same system as Wrath and Glory, but that has been a while ago.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Horse Heresy.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

moths posted:

Alternatively, a kind but eccentric inquisitor who genuinely believes that the naivety of podunk farmhands will shield them from the horrors of the universe.

This right here is why 40k is good

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

That magic preview is great. I always liked wizards in 2nd edition but maybe the Lores will be a little more balanced now. Having more generic spells is a really good idea.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

New edition passes the Small but Vicious Dog test. Owns.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

WFRP 4th is so good so far. I really hope I can get a game of it going sometime. Just the fact that your damage is based on how successfully you rolled and not a random d10 is a change I particularly like.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am excited to see the Eldar campaign, frankly. Gonna play the right Fire Dragon for the job of ruining everyone's day.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

tarbrush posted:

Gorkamorka has a setting?

Get a load of this Yoof.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I know they have rules for Feral World armies.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dre2Dee2 posted:

That being said I'm probably going to play Warhammer 4th more (which hopefully doesnt suck)

As someone who played a lot of 2nd edition, 4th is a big improvement across the board. Just the fact that they have rules for upgrading stats that are outside your current class is a fantastic improvement, and the new magic rules seem way more manageable. I loved the extreme danger of the old magic system but you were always one roll away from ending your carefully crafted campaign with some "lol miscast. Time to roll new guys"

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JcDent posted:

So is the new fantasy book good? Some goon on the forums says it's missing stuff and whatever.

So good. If you liked 2nd edition this is a straight upgrade with some nice modern touches.

Don't like percentile systems? Well, it is what it is.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Clanpot Shake posted:

Lascannons are 18+3ED AP-3. I haven't run the numbers but it looks like a lightly armored, low toughness target would evaporate from a hit from one.

Working as intended then.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mulva posted:

I mean has there ever been a good video game that implemented them?

Imperials ain't poo poo in Fire Warrior.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I love the new WFRP edition, but it would be nice to know what the next book or two are supposed to even if they don't know when.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cublice 7 apparently was in the middle of relocating to Ireland during all of this and have just gotten settled. They have also expanded the team and hired a guy whose purpose is communicating with the fans. It's people are now joining Discords and talking about upcoming stuff, playtests and some of their current stuff.

So I would expect some news soon. Given that they put out a newsletter that said expect some news soon.

Oh that is great to hear. With the book staying high on the best sellers list at Drive-thru I assumed it was a big success. I have everything they have produced so far and the quality is fantastic.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JcDent posted:

Smells of the kind of meh blandness that Wrath and Glory reeks of.

This is exactly why I am excited that Cubicle 7 is doing this and not Ulysses Spiel. Everything from Cubicle 7 that I have I have enjoyed, and I am pretty sure that a "dice pool" is a common enough mechanic that it shouldn't raise any red flags.

I will say a campaign about a Fyreslayer, a Skink Priest, and a Stormcast traveling to another dimension to overthrow and evil Chaos Lord with a massive army is way more sensible here than the same plot with a Space Marine, an Ork and a normal IG soldier.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Yes, 40k is Fascist.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JcDent posted:

It helps that dorfs, Skinks and Sigmarines are of the same faction. Would you feel the same about a Sigmarine, an Orc and a Freeguild Soldier doing the same?

It would not be ideal, but still way more sensible than it would be in 40k. At least with AoS the leaders of the factions were allies in some Age of the World. Space Marines have a divine mandate to purge all non-humans.

Sure, buddy. :shobon: If you are willing to believe that a game about Non Ironic Heroic Genocide Soldier has no relationship to fascism, well that is sure A Thing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Fascism is a word which has meaning and exists in our actual world. Please dream up a new word for whatever you're talking about rather than watering down a real thing with make-believe bullshit. TYVM.

Sorry if I am not comfortable hiding from the Fascism that is present in GW games. You really need to think about your life.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

It is a big shame. I love 4E a lot so far, but just being a corebook is tough when I have all my 2nd Edition books just sitting there ready to go.

Still, the system being updated was a really nice thing and I will be buying anything else they put out in the Old World.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Warthur posted:

How hard it is to just use 2nd edition stuff in 4E? I imagine you could convert monsters and NPCs fairly easily, especially since you already have some converted already which you can use as benchmarks.

Really easy. I definitely have more than enough knowledge about the setting where I can run anything I would care to, but I really want to see more books.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

All ADB books are pretty much amazing, so just read those if nothing else. Betrayer is easily one of my favorite Warhammer books.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, WHRP 4th is a beautiful product so this is definitely a good move. It will still need a big jump in flavor to get me to play WanG over Black Crusade or Rogue Trader but I am definitely much more interested in the line now.

Just give me the Fall of the Eldar book and archetypes for more aspect warriors and I am there.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Oh for sure. The One Ring books are great at capturing the flavor of the books, so I am sure it is in better hands. I don't love the base system in WanG but not to the point that I wouldn't play it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I always had a lot of fun with Black Crusade. It is basically Rogue Trader with Space Marines. I actually like that you have to make an effort to be devoted to a particular God and can't just take all the optimal stuff. I get why people wouldn't like it, but it does add flavor. If you are really serving one God for the sweet bonuses and cost reductions it makes the out of God purchases more meaningful too.

But I would never mix CSM and humans unless you know there is no way for them to be balanced in combat. My most successful campaign was all CSM except the one human who played the ship captain who drove everyone around.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

New RPGs even ones with established IP fail more often than they succeed.

Money is tight as hell at any rpg company, so when you release a sloppy mess that has to compete with a pre existing game in the same setting that is an extra barrier. Your book looking like poo poo and getting a lukewarm reception at launch is death to any game.

I personally thought the game looks really bland and unfocused, so I was really counting on things like the Eldar source book to really provide what I wanted to actually run a campaign. Because that never happened and no other real supporting material came out I just put this whole system out of my mind.

At the same time WHFB 4th came out, and looked and played extremely well. I was much more uncertain about upgrading my beloved 2nd editon but they won me over with good mechanical upgrades and a beautiful presentation.

In summary, mixed campaigns are garbage for idiots and basing your company on the premise literally causes you to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, hopefully we will get more soon but at least they are pretty active on their blogs and things. There are so many little things I like about the system that just really work well. The downtime actions stuff I like a ton. Let's you have a campaign where the party can actually have sensible breaks and a life outside of killing Beastmen or dying in the sewers, and it also helps with Elves being a superior race.

Just smart stuff all over.