Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

computer parts posted:

If a store you regularly visit doesn't have a product, but a store you also regularly visit but is slightly farther out does have that product, is the first store placing an additional burden on you because now you'll have to add that product to your second store list?

If a store I visit regularly denies me anything that I know they (would otherwise) sell because of their "Religious liberties", I'd be pretty pissed or upset and stop going there altogether. That's a pretty sizable burden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I was posting under the impression that pharmacists (and others, like employers?) could deny access to birth control because of their religious beliefs.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

computer parts posted:

Pharmacists can, I don't know about the employers themselves, and in any case they're not denying you something that they would normally sell. They're just refusing to sell it.

The last time I heard of "Religious beliefs" being the reason to deny goods to someone--as well as the last time I saw birth control get brought up for rights issues--was when employers were able to opt out of providing insurance or medical benifits that gave access to birth control/contraceptives.

Don't mean to confuse the issue, though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

For people not very involved in politics, republicans and conservatives tend to have a reputation of "comic book villain".

It's because of repeated attempts to pass bills and laws like this all over the country.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm not fully read up on legalese, but when did sodomy stop meaning "Any sexual act that doesn't promote procreation" and start meaning "man dick in man butt"? I'm not trying to be Mr. Semantics here, but I was always under the assumption that, by definition, "Sodomy" meant anything from a blowjob to using a condom, or even straight anal. But was there a point in US legislative/judicial history where it was defined as (male) gay sex?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

lambeth posted:

Not to break from libertarian chat, but the Georgia bills have been tabled due to a ton of backlash http://huff.to/1htgk4B. Hopefully it's for good, but considering that we have politicians who've said that homosexuality is satanic, I have a feeling this won't be the last of this. gently caress this state. :(

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure all forms of Satanism openly embrace homosexuality, or most other forms of sexual "deviancy" that are between consenting adults that don't harm others. So they're not technically wrong.

PS: Hail Satan. :worship::rock::devil:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

katium posted:

That would be giving him what he wants, though. Better would be to just ignore him and WBC, since they thrive on the attention.

He won't know he's getting what he wanted.

He'll be dead

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

quote:

Attorneys for the state also argued that no one is depriving homosexual citizens of access to marriage; rather, such individuals could but "for good reason" choose not to exercise that right.

"Utah law allows every person, regardless of sexual orientation or gender, to marry a person of the opposite sex," the state said, adding in a footnote that Utah "is not trying to punish nor attempting to change anyone’s sexual orientation."

Is this an actual thing someone said in court? This seems beyond blatant satire at this point. This feels like joke book material.

I can't even fathom this :psyduck:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Are you a straight couple? Yes? Awesome.

You love each other?? That's great, but completely irrelevant.

So, do(es) your ovaries/womb/testes work?

...No?!

:frogout:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Pfirti86 posted:

I know it's not exactly legal news about gay marriage, but I like how Honey Maid basically told One Million Moms to get bent, in a sweet and friendly way.

All those dead trees :qq:

(PS: It's ironic how the people who are pro-"Family Values" are increasingly becoming more "Anti-Family" as that word starts to take on a larger meaning.)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Shaming is the greatest tool for quickly and efficiently bringing about sincere changes of mind and progress.

Fight the power, or be branded the irredeemable Privileged-word. :black101:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So do people opposing gay marriage really think that there are a substantial amount of gay people who are waiting for equal marriage before having sex with their partner? I mean, I'm sure some do, but if the negative stigma towards homosexual males is that they're promiscuous anyway, I can't make the jump the opposition is making that allowing for equal marriage will increase same-sex marriage (and thus std's, etc) by that much more :psyduck:.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Rick certainly gives me the vibe that only the fear of god is currently inhibiting a raging need to rape and dismember.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Of the people here that are against abortion, for non-religious reasons, do you also believe abortion should be made illegal? Or do you just leave it at a simple, personal choice?

I don't mean to start any arguments, but I want to get more insight from the people I generally disagree with.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

SwingShift posted:

Wouldn't unborn/aborted children's souls go straight to heaven, bypassing temptation and all chances to sin? Obviously homosexuals and feminists are doing the Lord's work by ensuring that all children's souls will be saved.

I think even though Jesus saves you of original sin, you still need baptism to get into Heaven. So you're just in purgatory.

But it's okay because it's not like you knew anything so you'd just be a dumb baby.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

quote:

"That child won't have a chance to live the way God intended us to live," Andujar said. "They will just keep the chain going and going. It will lead to no human race [or] reproduction."

UuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUGHHH! :bang:

I don't loving get this logic at all! I'm not asking for it to be explained, I just don't get how blind you have to be to understand that there are too many people not living the way as "God intended" for reasons beyond their control. Has God abandoned them? Should they not live a holy life if they have been forsaken by only having one parent (or maybe neither)? Is gay marriage being legal the one thing that will disable everyone's natural instinct to reproduce??

I'm really not anti-theistic, but this is pure insanity that lends itself to a lack of critical thinking--as well as lack of basic human empathy--promoted by the same herd-like mentality that makes people hoop and holler when someone behind a podium says "Jesus Saves".

:sigh: Sorry for getting worked up.

Morter fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 21, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

FourLeaf posted:

I was really surprised by how many Hispanic people there were in attendance, and how some of the speeches (maybe all? I didn't watch the whole thing) were in Spanish or translated into Spanish. Are conservatives trying to change course on the anti-immigrant rhetoric? It's a bit late for that!

I know this post is some-pages old but I just found out this rather bothersome fact about the rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMYjUAbzaRY

New York Senator urges church pastors and community leaders to send all their followers and participants to a super cool and ultra vague washington DC trip. The two and a half minute PSA literally does not mention anything marriage or gay related.

That is so blatantly conman that if I were a church-goer, I would stop trusting whatever church attempted to cart me off like lamb to the slaughter. Pun intended.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If you have Netflix, watch God Loves Uganda. It is a really powerful documentary about who is to blame for this law and the measures the proponents took to get Ugandans to support the law.

I just watched this. Holy crap. This did a buttload to affirm my beliefs so I thank you for pointing it out to me.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm unaware of this situation entirely, so excuse my dumb line of questioning. So there are "faith-based" adoption centers--which I can only assume means they are discriminant towards who they lend their kids out too, based on heterosexuality and faith. And they've had trouble in certain states (Cali, Mass, Illi, D.C.) because of their own "deeply held beliefs".

So what is this bill trying to do, exactly? It says it "protects" these agencies, but from what? Discrimination?! :psyduck:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Did heterosexual males not approach "any nice looking lady" way back when? :raise:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Dumbass Oklahoman Gov. posted:

What has been ignored, however, is the right of Oklahomans – and Americans in every state – to write their own laws and govern themselves as they see fit.

"There's too much government! Every American should be able to govern themselves! Unless we think it's icky and gross and non-traditional!"

I don't understand how something beyond a one-dimensional comic book villain could say something in such blatant contrast to their intent. There is no feasible way to spin "stopping other people from doing a harmless thing I don't like" into "Allowing Americans to write their own laws". :bang:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Perkins posted:

"The (Supreme) Court did a backalley type Roe v. Wade judicial decision by letting the lower courts do their...their evil bidding.

Oh here we go :munch:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Reminder: This is all because they want more babies.

The ironyyyy :suicide:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Look at all of those homosexual couples (a good chunk of them 50 and older) looking to get gay-:airquote:married:airquote:! Can't you see their self-destructive alternative lifestyle will lead to an early grave?! Won't someone think of the children?! :qq:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

This is loving incredible

http://www.c-span.org/video/standalone/?322045-4/washington-journal-brian-brown-evan-wolfson-samesex-marriage&popoutPlayer

This weekend Freedom To Marry head Evan Wolfson faced down hate group leader Brian Brown in an hour-long call-in show on C-SPAN.

Strapping in for the next hour to listen, thanks for this.

I'm new to all kinds of this legal and political drama but I find it immensely embarrassing that there are separate call in lines for parties.

Edit: First call "Are lard didn't make Adam and Steve :bahgawd:." I love this country.

Morter fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 15, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Oh god Brian Brown mentioned the "Elites in control" of medical journals. Is he seriously talking about the Illuminati or some such (masonic/satanic) organization? Because I've heard that from too many religiously minded people.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Dear NOM:

Thanks for the donations, fuckfaces.

Now :frogout:

Sincerely,
The Courts

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

About to watch but is there a reason that video starts at the 2 hour mark?

Edit: Oh I didn't know it was 2 hours of waiting lmao.

Morter fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 17, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Okay, actual question: In all seriousness, what do religious people stand to lose from this "legal assault" besides the legal expansion ("redefinition") of marriage and the occasional business being closed down because it's owner used the facade of "religious expression" to hate on a group/person? What do they actually feel is under threat?

Perhaps they're just upselling their plight but I feel like I'm missing a great deal of necessity for their panic, and I want someone to explain it to me, please.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

CAKES! PHOTOS! PHARMACYS!

Bathrooms.

This is about loving bathrooms.

I can't. I just can't anymore. :doh:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

To them gays are no better than cannibals and murderers, barbarians at the gates.

I have noticed a pattern of a lot of people equating homosexuality, and by extension, same sex marriage, with incest and bestiality. It took me a while to realize that one of the stronger biblical passages against such homosexuality, Leviticus, also spoke against lying with a beast or with some blood relative, in quick succession, as far as I remember. So this is some weird slippery slope/domino-effect-waiting-to-happen, I think.

So in short, to some, being in a relationship with someone of the same sex is as bad as loving your dog.

Morter fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 17, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ninjasaurus posted:

It's definitely made my day. :3:

Yesterday, my day was made by this:

Thank you for the news, D&D goons!

This is one of those moments where satirical news sites like The Onion gets their absurdist headlines trumped by reality.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

The Devil can enter your soul through your eyes once your moral defenses have been weakened by the sight of a tight man rear end in riding chaps.

Not to rag on Theistic/Superstitious people but influential so-and-such Pat Robertson sincerely thinks you can let evil spirits into your life by watching horror movies. As a good Christian, you must flee from those things. He actually said this.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The West is the Best

Even though I was born in NYC, and I've never had In'n'Out, I'll have to agree that West Coast = Best Coast now :(

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Honor our vote, don't let those kids into Little Rock Central High School! :arghfist::911:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Freudian posted:

some of you want to rush ahead into some kind of crazy law that lets you marry a box turtle,

Finally, it's revealed, the TRUE Gay Agenda!™ :freep:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Can we all stop the infighting and just laugh at Republicans?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Yes, actually. :devil:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

The Satanic Temple has been doing wonderful things in Oklahoma and Florida, using the same aspect of "Freedom of religion"/"deeply held beliefs". I wonder if what Michigan politicians will think of these bills when Satanists want equal rights and representation. :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Eww, no icky weddings, guys!!

I'm going to take the MARRIAGE ball and go home! :mad:

• Locked thread