Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Does the Mass Effect series actually have any themes?

Not being facetious but I really can't think of any coherent themes, it's all just surface level these-are-things-that-happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Apparently thy had the devil of a time getting the suicide mission in ME2 to work right, so going with something more basic was probably intentional.

They still should have copied the basic formula though.

Choose your ground forces; just Krogan clans from the main plot is enough to 'just about scrape through', but if you also have Rachni swarm or Geth Juggernauts or Possessed Reaper forces or Omega mercs etc to assign it boosts the number to a high enough point you get a slightly different scene where the Reaper forces actually get pushed back.

Choose your air forces: just Turian Fleet is enough to scrape the plot forward, but adding Migrant Fleet, Geth Armada, Volus clans' merc force, surviving Alliance Fleets, The Destiny Ascension, Terminus pirates etc triggers a scene where the Reapers have to relocate into space just to hold the line.

Then for the final battle in London and the push to the beam you have three fronts, one for the brute force march, one for precision strikes and one for strategic support. For these you can assign drat near every asset from the trilogy, with varying effectiveness on each front. So Zaeed, Asari Justicars, Biotic students, Kirrahe, Javik, Grunt's crew etc give a huge boost to the brute force, Salarian STG, Garrus, Kasumi etc are enough for the precision strikes and Miranda, Liara etc shine strategically. N7 operatives would excel at any role, with their value based on your multiplayer manifest.

It wouldn't be a huge thing to do, just have 5 good/bad conditions for each front and if you get all 5 as good the Crucible bullshit can go ahead, if not you get a more bittersweet 'bad ending', with slightly different cutscenes or a few voice clips at each stage. At least then it would feel like all your choices throughout the trilogy were leading to something.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Personally I hope the next game will have completely new characters. Well, if EDI or Wrex are around I would not be mad about it.

Eh, Wrex or Garrus or whoever could easily overshadow the new characters. EDI still being around as an immortal AI could be interesting though.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Kegluneq posted:

No one cares what the volus really look like.

That's probably why they got to be more interesting. The 'head' bit of their suits being fake and totally aesthetic to seem more approachable to other species etc

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Aces High posted:

so does this mean that Mordin will be at your party if you sabotage the cure with Wreav around instead? Actually, maybe a better question, how do you get Mordin to live? Wrex has to be dead and Eve as well?

You have to have carried on Mordin's life work and hosed the Krogan in every conceivable way, but he still just disappears.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

ME3 Legion was begging for it.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

I decided pick up the ME3 DLC and do a run through the entire trilogy, ME1 really is a bit rough and if I couldn't do it pretty much by muscle memory might not have bothered, but just got on to ME2 and honestly, it really was/is such a fantastic game.

The combat has a great crunchy feel to it, the squadmate system is a balance between let-them-get-on-with-it shooter gameplay and 'fighting Geth, best bring Tali and someone with Overload' on the higher difficulties, the whole structure and pacing works so well, there's actual cinematography in the scenes and it's actually a way funnier game than I remembered. Very few games are broadly serious but have moments of deliberate levity that actually land.

Thinking back Mass Effect 2 might genuinely be the best game of the last console generation, it's certainly way up there.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

What do people mean by "going both ways"?

I think it's like Bioware are having their cake and eating it too, so like "it's a clean break in a new universe!" but also "voiceover from Sheps! all the old races are there!". As long as they don't just rehash stuff like 'the krogan sure are getting violent' and 'the quarians have made new ai, hope nothing goes wrong' it'll be fine though.

I think the best scenario for starting would be that the player was a child or maybe conceived on the deep space flight to Andromeda, then let them be ~25 at the start of the adventure. Enough time for a few settlements to spring up and the start of distinct cultures to grow among different groups of pioneers.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Mymla posted:

ME2's ending was better. ME2 was better in just about every single way, actually.

ME2 might be the best game of the last console generation.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Thats a real good looking korgan.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

The Batarians basically being eliminated from the universe without rhyme or reason was a pretty poor choice IMO.

The batarians never getting any kind of face turn was just weird to be honest and having one race just be irredeemable arseholes doesn't fit at all with ME1 or ME2.

Before ME3 came out, when we all thought the trial at the beginning was going to be a bigger deal, I honestly thought there was going to be a scene where a batarian ruler walks in all threatening and imposing to press charges then surprises the court by saying "Yeah our intel says the Reapers are real and we're about to have an extinction war, Shepard is off the hook so they can help fight, here's a batarian squadmate to humanise the race like all the other races got".

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Shadowbroker suffered from the titular character being built up to be an AI in all previous games (funny, this'd probably help ME3's story) but then became a one-off alien.

Actually that was really cool. An AI would have been boring and having a non-Reaper AI effectively managing intergalactic politics would have been Dumb.

The shadowbroker being a huge creepy vaguely satanic thing that rose up against his master adds to the whole demonic theme of that DLC too, what with the 'deal with the devil', literally killing him with bursts of white light from above and Liara martyring herself at the end.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

All in all, you probably kill less than two-hundred members of Cerberus in Mass Effect 3.

I just did Grissom Academy and killed 99 Cerberus mooks in that one mission. You are vastly underestimating how many the game throws at you in combat sections.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

SciFiDownBeat posted:

mass effect (the series) owning is an unspoken assumption of this thread

mass effect 1 however will always have a special place in my heart

After grabbing all the DLC in a sale like a year ago I'm finally plodding through ME3 properly, doing all the side quests and stuff, and decided to replay through the series to make a perfect import state.

Mass Effect 1 really was something special. Even though I know it inside out and despite all it's flaws the title screen still gives this feeling of mystery and adventure, I think it's the music.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

that's kinda pretty

interesting that their first reveal focus on scanning things and exploration

I hope they aren't making it an Ubisoft game like DA:I was.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Pryce posted:

I think the whole point of establishing the game in a new galaxy was so they could avoid having to import a game state. Andromeda is completely disconnected from everything we've seen previously (intentionally), and I bet that saves an insane amount of backward-bending to make sure this fits "your" galaxy from the original trilogy.

I have no problem with this, honestly. Starting fresh sounds great at this point.

"Captain, we just saw a tiny pin-prick of light from the old galaxy. It was blue/red/green. Oh well no big deal go plant a flag on that Uranium mine."

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Of course there will a quarian or two. My guess for geth is that one will sneak its way along.

It would be crazy for them not to, especially as one Geth platform could carry so many members of its species.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

Reading that, I wonder if there won't be a new ME3 DLC about the ark: Departure

That would be super cool, especially as it could show the backstory for how Cerberus agents infiltrated the ark to explain why Cerberus are in Andromeda too.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

As someone who lives in Vancouver let me say that watching it blown up was a lot more fun than saving it.

As someone who lives in London let me say that they didn't sell the Reaper devastation hard enough.

Alain Post posted:

The entire goal of the first act of the game is to help out the Krogan and the Turian defense before they help out with Earth. The "why is Shep being so earth-centric" thing is not ignored.

Come on son, you are explicitly helping them so they'll put BOOTS ON THE GROUND to help Earth right after.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

So is she, like, the only companion? Is she Elena to Ryder's Drake?

There's a third person right there in the picture.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

The MSJ posted:

If this is anything like Dragon Age 3, you stumble onto mineral deposits during adventures and then send people to mine them from the command center. You're the boss-hero, you have people to scan stuff for you.

If you find something useful, just take it over to the requisitions desk *makes asari puzzlebox*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Put all of each species onto one ship each, nice, good plan, no there is no famous saying about eggs and baskets

• Locked thread