Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sounds like this expac will go over as well as Gates of Discord did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Just downloaded and installed live again after not playing since 2006 (Shortly after TSS launched we keyed for the endgame zone via the 10 trials or whatever and I quit shortly afterwards), does anyone play on the xegony/zeb server? I'm currently 2-boxing but I'm probably going to just level a cleric up really quick as well, only at level 10 with a ranger/enchanter duo so cleric will catch-up quickly.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

darkhand posted:

Plenty of duders play on Xeg but they are mostly (all?) up in their high-end raid guild. Xegony is definitely a good server to play on either way. And your box combo will probably plow anything group content can throw at you. My ranger friend was tanking his box crew in the last expansion's endgame zones.

Hoohah and I are on Fippy busting up Underfoot, and Deadwing and I have some chars on Test.

I wish I had gotten back into it when a progession server was opening or still in content that I had done and worked up to stuff I hadn't done, but alas it was not meant to be.

Maybe they'll open a new progression server at some point considering I would bet it brings people out of the wood work to pay :10bux:

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MrTheDevious posted:

To be fair, loving with MQ2 is strangely compelling and oftentimes more fun than playing the game itself. I spent some time learning how to find offsets a while back and the amount of poo poo you could do if you wanted to is pretty insane.

Someday I'm going to amass enough computers to box a full raid's amount of characters and see how far through raid prog I can get via code only without actually playing any of the characters myself

Honestly you could probably get pretty darn far, it would just require A LOT of coding , but you can put in all sorts of triggers etc, my brother and I actually worked on a script that would get you through the MPG simon says trial, it worked pretty decently for the most part.

If you put in the time and effort with MQ2 scripting you can do a shitload with it, we were able to get pulling automated in zones in I think it was DODH that had static mobs and the zones weren't randomized (but were instanced).

Honestly a lot of the fun of the game for the last few expacs outside of our raiding progression was running a group of chars with MQ2 and basically automating making money, people buying progression/levels/aas/gear from us.

One of the things i miss was the plane of tactics (from PoP expac), the pit in the zone you could actually start a massive war between the 2 factions and gain xp from it, some guy on xegony (possibly dudes elsewhere figured it out too) showed it to us and it essentially was pretty crazy, you could get hundreds of aas overnight while he kept feeding mobs into the war he started, I'm pretty sure he figured out a way to kill valon zek or talon zek by pulling whichever one into the pit and having mobs beat him to death.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

DigitalMocking posted:

I was 30 when EQ first hit and because it was the first, it'll never be replicated for me.

The sense of wonder at what we were playing. The first time running around Kunark... SoV's release. Oh man.

The day PoF opened up... I'm sure I'll die before anything tops that in gaming for me just in terms of intensity and highs and lows.

Breaking PoF as a druid with a few wizards and a monk was a pretty sweet experience.

I was 14 when this game dropped, I started playing slightly before kunark came out, and nothing has captured it, I've played about 5-6 MMOs since and nothing comes close to the experiences I had in EQ for the first 1-2 years, after a while though, it got stale as well, got into the best guild on xeg for a few years top-end raiding etc made everything kind of dull.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Stanos posted:

One year for fading memories, one year for bows to not completely suck rear end. Like two? years or a year and a half for puma and I think more for slow skin. My class choices :qq:

Also RIP to druids who don't get the remote line until underhill.

RIP druids until POP when they actually get decent heals.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I played a druid then. We were still crap for healing in groups because we didn't have resurrections.

Druids were fine once POP hit and you got the good quick heal and the "complete" heal, I played one from kunark through some expansion like TDS TBS or TSS something like that, and main healed the whole way through without issue.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

darkhand posted:

In classic their dps is pretty equal but their tanking is worse. And necro bar is a lot more useful than mage spell bar, so necro having pet heal memmed is a bigger disadvantage.

On live, main pets are pretty much the same, except beastlords and mages have better pet burns I'm pretty sure.

Both classes are good, but yeah the mage pet tanks better, you'll end up kiting with the necro pet a bit. Necros are generally better from what i recall outside of soloing too, although it's been a long time since I did the classic/kunark/velious kind of dance, but I remember velious mob HP went up a lot so necro dots were more effective.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I might hop in on this as a cleric, I've got a paid account I haven't logged into in a while, but I don't know if I really want to make the time commitment.

Also, playing a cleric solo might drive me insane, but I don't think I can muster the energy to box 2 characters on separate machines, nor do I really want to set up isboxer or whatever it is, I did the MQ2 thing back in the day with warp/ghost and macros for like 6-7 different classes.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 7, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I've been debating, I might actually run a dual-box setup, cleric/monk probably, although a shaman is VERY tempting considering their insane power come velious/luclin, but we had one on live. I'm really going to miss ports (played a druid on live) but I just can't put myself through the pain that is being a druid pre-POP and cleric/wizard does not really appeal to me at the moment, might consider a caster DPS once luclin or POP are around.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 9, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

did it explode yet?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ShankyMcStabber posted:

Looks like DBG updated the rules for the new server and are now claiming no 3rd party software at all.

So getting caught using ISBoxer, even across multiple computers, is going to be trouble. Good thing I multiboxed EQ in the old client days.

Yup, used to run 5 computers between 2 of us before we got into MQ2, it's not too hard, just have the keyboards next to each other, setup good hotkeys and use F1-6 targetting a lot.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Are racial bonuses and penalties a thing on this server? i.e. does ogre have frontal bash immunity and trolls have regen but also XP penalties?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

RCarr posted:

All the racial and class penalties are out. Warriors and Rogues still get xp bonuses and I think Halflings too? I believe all the racial traits are still in like troll regen and ogre stun immunity.

hrmm might have to re-think my high elf cleric then because I'll want an ogre warrior to pair with... Maybe I'll roll darkelf

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Xeras posted:

Playing on this server is some of the most fun I have had. I love single boxing and usually being in a group of 6 people. Wish I could make some iksars already but still. I'm a bit worried 3 months until any expansion hits will be a bit too long but I guess I'll be able to roll some alts in the meantime.

I can't wait for iksars, I'll dump my warrior and make the superior monk choice!

I also hosed up and left my laptop at work, so I can't play both characters tonight, guess I'll just wait till tomorrow :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Why am I playing this game again, I must hate myself.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Hoohah posted:

So I bit the bullet and decided to roll with a single character for a bit to see how I like it. Buddies were already playing warrior, warrior, shadow knight, druid, rogue, wizard, so I picked enchanter since I figure there's enough buttons going on there to keep you busy. It's been a lot of fun and I'm almost to 16 through CB and Unrest but I'm unsure if I've made the right choice since there's a million enchanters. Wondering if I should start trying to box up a cleric since our druid is kinda flaky and he likes to nuke more than heal, and there is never not a need for clerics.

Also the pickzone thing is nice but I wish it was more up to the players when to spawn more instances. There were two instances of unrest with 30 people in them last night, but no one is strong enough to be on the second floor or the basement yet so we were all fighting each other for the yard and the first floor pickings. Basically we had to hope that dipshits would train themselves with Torklar Battlemaster which would clear out the area for a bit, and we'd get a steady stream of kills.

People are REALLY BAD at being enchanters, like REALLY bad, being an enchanter is not only mez/clarity/haste/sometimesslow. What I used to do when solo boxing an enchanter in a group was, I would let my group do their thing, I would charm stuff, have it attack other stuff, then break charm and pull the mobs back, poo poo like that. Basically always be busy and use your full toolset. Charm might be difficult now, but it's something to keep in mind for later.

*EDIT* also getting my 2-box setup going tonight, I leveled my warrior solo to 2-3 last night for a bit just to get a feeling for the game again, and my cleric to 3, just gotta get them together now. Probably going to bring them together in Nektulos and then hit EC and then maybe CT if it's not an extreme shitfest (I'm sure it is). I'll hit goons up in channel and see if they want to plow through mobs with me.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 11, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Hoohah posted:

Yeah I'm pretty well aware at the toolkit, power, and capabilities of an enchanter, they were the first class I boxed old time style back in the day. I just didn't expect there to be a loving billion of them day one. There are two gaps where enchanter is really god drat useless (late velious to pop; TSS to like SoD or so when they start getting more nukes and resurgence aura) and I'd have thought people wouldn't be playing the class, but yesterday they were by far the most common people I'd see pop into unrest LFG. I suppose at least 50% of the people I've seen will quit or change classes by the time raiding occurs.

I'm really, REALLY hesitant to play cleric anyways since their solo-ability is horrendous until TSS, and really only works when you get mercs in SoD). Enchanter / cleric duo wouldn't be terrible, but I'm not sure how I'd power the cleric up.

Gotcha. I have seen enchanter rushes like this before (back in my day blah blah blah) because the pet is decent at low levels, and then you can transition into charm, but I think you hit it on the head, these people are going to quit/change classes once they realize they are loving awful at charm/mez.

Enchanter/druid would imo be better because you can snare the pet so it doesn't gently caress your face when charm breaks and it has haste, plus you get ports/sow which is never a bad thing to have. I just remember charming in PoP with my druid and snare saved me more times than I can count on my pet, so I can imagine it would be the same for enchanter charming, but I could be incorrect.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ugh just realized I forgot my spare laptop at work :(

Maybe I can install EQ on my work laptop for a few nights.... maybe...

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The Rage posted:

Do I have to have a paid account to play on Phinny?

Yes i'm 95% sure

MF_James
May 8, 2008

suuma posted:

Most of the custom/emulated servers I've played on (so basically just Shards of Dalaya and The Hidden Forest) reuse old zones and then change up their mobs/items/intended level rather than making up actual zones. Dalaya is a little more fleshed out in that regard with a custom "main quest", though it used to have a 2-box limit and I doubt anyone really plays it anymore.

For Shards of Dalaya there's like 100-120 online during peak last I checked (and that's the high end) probably 60-80% of which is people boxing/afk. They are getting their client up to date now (new one is supposed to launch the 19th... although it's been pushed back a few times) and get put up on EQemu, so we'll see if that pushes numbers up or if the game stays steady at low numbers.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Hoohah posted:

It is I. I'm playing Zelas (enchanter) and Serri (cleric) but anyone in the guild can invite right now. We need bodies, play the class you want to play.

Guild Plug
Echoes of Elysium did classic till secrets of faydwer on Vulak, then secrets to house of thule on Fippy, including the unlock kills for Underfoot and the first half of House of Thule. There wasn't really a set intention to redo the guild on Phinigel, but once Damdor started playing and we started gabbing with some of the core from EoE, The EoE was remade. We intend to raid, but every single officer (myself included) has stated that the poopsocking will not be happening, unless we have a force online to grab the daily respawns on bosses and we can confidently win the race. There's no application stuff necessary right now, just hit up Damdor, Hamshire, Selan/Sesrak, Rhaok, or myself (Zelas/Serri) if you have questions, and if you want to join, ask almost anyone. We're just relaxing and leveling right now, and generally bullshit around on TS. You can check https://www.echoesofelysium.com and look through the news for the cavalcade of our previous achievements. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I7K1hX1kqI is recommended viewing (yes, it's a downfall parody, but even Damdor laughs his rear end off at it, and he's nothing like that anymore).

Please don't join if you have a thin skin or can't handle people being offensive in TS. You can always mute them. I'm not sure what the 'plans' to make the raiding force are, at the moment it sounds like we simply want numbers.

Sounds cool, I'd like to join in next time I have a chance to play (hopefully tonight, but work/life balance sucks atm) and I'll hit you up, characters are Gegen/Galelor in game.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

RCarr posted:

I two box with a PC and a laptop. I wouldn't even attempt to try to 3 box. 2 is hard enough.

in all honesty you get used to it, plus if you're 3-boxing you're probably doing like healer+tank+dps, the healer you don't have to do much with, the dps you generally mash 1-2 keys and move every so often, the tank is the one you do the heavy lifting with.

for the healer, you just setup hotkeys that target+heal, or separate them both but hotkeys are a must.

for the dps, again you're pressing your 1-2damage buttons, casters are easiest since you can stay out of melee and it makes it easier to know when agro gets pulled etc.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Britt Burns posted:

Okay, so I'm looking to twink out my druid's gear (on Phinigel) but I don't know what I'm doing or how to get stuff. I've got about 4k to work with... Help!

you should camp the paw of oppola(sp?)! Get that TRUE classic experience... if that quest is even still in the game.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Medullah posted:

I'll never forget how I got my Paw, we PK'd a Cleric who had just got done camping it, disarmed him and it dropped into his inventory. He was so, so, angry.

haha wow that's awful. I spent a day and a half (or whatever the timer was.. I think i twas 36 hours) camping it when I was like 14, it was terrible.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

howling stones, how I miss thee. Did that zone A LOT with my druid and a necro buddy, sometimes adding a wizard friend, it was fun, chill xp and could generally clear the bigger parts of the zone ourselves.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

DigitalMocking posted:

Two things really;

I'd like to raid, and be useful in the raid.
I'd like to be able to make it to raid level without killing myself, so that's part of being useful and wanted in groups since it seems that solo XP has been kicked in the dick on Phinny.

I mained a monk at launch, pulled more corpses than I can count the day the plane of fear opened, poopsocked almost all the way until PoP launched. After PoP I got into botting, wrote a shitload of macros and plugins, ran my own raids just because. I hadn't returned to EQ since because it seemed like the botters ruled the game and there was no way to group or level or play one character, until I read about Phinegal and their deal with the MQ2 devs to make sure the bots wouldn't work.

I don't get a ton of time to play, couple of hours a night, so playing a class that will get me up to raiding and being able to raid is my goal, I went with druid because I remember them being pretty damned good all around, but that was PoP and just prior mostly.

Druids were dogshit UNTIL POP, group/raid wise anyway, that's when they got actual useful heals. If XP has been super nerfed on phinny for solo players, playing a druid is the last thing you want to do because no one ever wanted a druid healing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

pyromance posted:

Also, if your last time playing was around PoP, it's worth noting that Chloroblast is no longer a 400 hp "why the gently caress am I trying" heal.

Ahhhh I stopped uhh I dunno what expansion, but my main was a druid, and I played from release of kunark --> the buried sea or somethign like that, and yeah if they had made chloroblast useful and added another larger heal life would have been nice. Although, quad-kiting was actual somewhat effective, and oh man turn into a tree for extra mana regen!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

iNteg posted:

You'll probably get a lot of XP for that poo poo just camping key mobs for VT would be my guess, but people were saying the XP rates for AA grinding won't be accelerated at all so it could suck some serious assholes

Well, when you are farming these as a guild (you're doing that... right?) you ae the gently caress out of stuff like crazy when and where you can, XP won't be super awesome, but it won't be dumpster either.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MrsPooky posted:

The people I've been running into are all anonymous / roleplay enabled. General chat has been fun, some strolls down nostalgia lane. Mind keeps flicking to possibly going cleric so I'll always be doing something.

Should we set up some sort of not-guild-specific VoIP server? I'm all about hitting this hard, but not by myself.

You could use the goon discord server, it's pretty good, I'm at work or i'd link it. The only issue with it is that it runs out of the EU, so if there are network issues going from east coast -> EU, you will get dropped a bunch, but 95% of the time it's rock solid and if you're running into issues generally it's your own problem such as instability of your own connection. Discord seems to be slightly more sensitive to inconsistent connections than say vent/mumble, I swapped to using powerline adapters to save myself from running a 100' cable through some walls, my connection works fine for playing MMOs and FPSs, but I get dropped hard from discord every 20-30 seconds.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

lemonslol posted:

what's quarm like?

A lot of fun actually. I don't recall all the phases, but it's one of the first multi-phase fights (I think 3-4 phases) that is really challenging (Rallos being another). Once you do it a few times everyone figures it out and it goes smoother. I forget if it completely resets on wipes or if it checkpoints at the end of each phase. Seriously though, it was a blast, you split the raid into like 3-4 teams and then come together again after a phase or two.

I loved PoP though so I could be a bit biased :)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Wait, they aren't instancing Luclin zones? That... sounds awful.. As you said, Sanctus Seru will be poo poo, what about Ssra? What about the "lesser" raid zones you use to side gear like GE, the deep (the burrower beast zone), and the other couple zones I'm forgetting?

Also, I need to stop checking this thread, it's making me want to go back to fippy eq in general :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Hoohah posted:

While this is better than what Prathun had in place before, it's still going to be a clusterfuck. The 4 shards are part of a quest that gets you not only the arx key, but the 4th earring in the quest...and the final earring is one of the best tank earrings in the expansion.

What this means is, even if there's tons of pick zones to get the Praesertums or you run your guild there to force a spawn, because of the way pick works, people can just sit at the appropriate spot and pick over to cockblock you to get your key by killing one of the four praesertums, or they will in order to get the earring for themselves, even if their guild already has a key.

Yeah I knew the questing and stuff, but I forgot about how the pick stuff works, so yeah, that makes sense.

Seru is such a fun fight too (kinda..), I suppose it was more fun later when we could kill it with our 6-10 raid geared chars to farm the mount in the GoD era (I think that's when we were doing it)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

xZAOx posted:

My understanding is that GoD got nerfs over time to not be near as difficult at the intended level. That plus how players are generally more powerful at lower levels than they used to be has made people say GoD should be fine.

If it's still a problem, I don't see how it couldn't be fixed with a negative MotM buff.

Have they said when they plan on no longer adding MotM?

GoD should be fine as you said, buffs over time plus nerfs to GoD.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

What was the zone that had the 6(?) trials, I believe it was OoW, one of them was Simon Says and another was one where you were supposed to kill a monster, but a "raid" of NPCs beat you there and instead you had to kill the raid to complete the trial.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah breeze was a kunark thing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

iNteg posted:

Lord Inquisitor Seru was the most dull boss ever to kill, I got to shoot a bow for 5 minutes and drop massive damage but it was kind of depressing lol

Yeah seru is boring as gently caress, jam tank in corner between pillar and wall, do a thing for 10 minutes.

Sadly that is how most Luclin fights are, but you have something to look forward to in PoP, poo poo gets interesting there!

Or, perhaps they'll have you be the kiter for burrower beast and you can run in circles for 40 minutes.... as a druid I was stuck in that roll for a while (after we had it on lockdown I would purposely die and let my secondary take over)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Hoohah posted:

Seru was actually going a lot faster than we expected, but that was because people were going balls out and pulled agro @ about 70%. Once we got him back in position and the requisite reprimands were completed, it was slow and steady to win that race.

When we did burrower beast, we had two bards playing slow/snare song and just murdered everything. Luclin is not intended for you to throw more than 50 people at an encounter, hence the Mitigation of the Mighty change, but even then we simply know too much more about the mechanics of EQ that were still a mystery all those years ago.

Sadly, while PoP changes things by making raid bosses hit much harder, the only real 'mechanic' they added was timed or percentage based adds. You don't start getting raids that have depth until the Ikkinz raids in Gates of Discord requiring you to kill golems that are raping tanks with a specific class or archtype. I think the only 'hey that's a neat trick' in PoP is Plane of Time Bertoxxulous who inverts his melee/magic resistances as the fight goes on.

Eh, in era we raided with like 120ppl in our alliance in luclin. Burrower beast we eventually figured out you didn't have to kill everything, which meant druids/rangers kite for 20-30 minutes then BB spawns.

Yeah maybe I've got hte rose tinted glasses on for PoP, I did like the zek fight, time was sweet, I liked PoFire, earth was ok until you had to farm it 3-4 times.

water sucked because water and air was unmemorable imo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

My guild did a lot of lower tier raids to flag people prior to the flag system changing, it was fun, but yeah, really no point once you have hte elemental planes, especially if you have them to yourself (instances), plenty of gear to go around for your 50-72person raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

darkhand posted:

a lot of times when leading raid you're basically forced to have the 5 competent guys in the whole raid do everything while everyone else just does their dogshit "rotation" or whatever the gently caress they can muster. it is what it is, that's the double edged sword of letting everyone on the server raid.

lol yup, on live i raided with ~50 people from PoP through god only knows how many expacs, there were maybe 20 competent people.