Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

boho posted:

I learned today that it's possible to play EQ Mac (the permanently locked in PoP pre-Rathe Council nerf server) on a PC. And it's free. And its population is competitive with P99's.

So, when it comes to getting my free classic EQ fix, I'm probably going to be doing it on EQ Mac (unless P99 gets around to giving me an exemption soon). Assuming they don't, I'll be sure to hand off my gear to a needy goon or otherwise return it to whoever's dishing out the welcome packages.

Cool coincidence, I was just about to ask if anyone had tried EQMac on a PC, and I researched it a bit today. I'm going to try it today when I get home. Here's what I gathered from a bit of searching:

1) download Intel EQMac client:
http://www.eqmac.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10782

2) guide to play on PC, including a hack to the patcher:
http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorpg-general-discussion/38234-eqmac-now-free-play-79.html#post2289359

A few other random tips and fixes to bugs I found, which may or may not be necessary:

* In windows you can create a junction to a directory on another drive. For example if you want the actual files to be on D: create an EQMac directory there then run in a command prompt:
C:\>mklink /J /D EQMac d:\EQMac

* I was having very strange problems with this. The graphics were messing up very strangely, and I was running at supersonic speed. Fixed it.

You need to set processor affinity to 1. This is what my command line looks like...
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 eqw.exe

* IF you need to fix your FPS issues and your gfx card software doesn't allow it, there is a freeware program called dxtory with an FPS limiter. I have mine set to 60 and it works perfectly. Fraps has one also, but only works in record mode. Dxtory is always on without recording.

* crash upon patching:
That is what happens when your virus software deletes WSOCK.DLL from your program directory at launch. Reinstall "secrets patch" and disable your virus software before you start the program

Can't wait to try it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Biaaaaaaatch!

Works on the PC and I'm in the game! :D

Edit: Holy shiiiiiiit check this out:

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 5, 2012

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

Honestly, I'd recommend live for that. You can get to 60 in like 2 days, grab defiant gear cheaply from the bazaar or the goon guild bank (which is completely retarded stats, mind you), and easily explore almost all of Old Norrath - only some raid zones would give you issues. The REALLY old zones unfortunately have been revamped - just zones from launch I believe, but it's not like they're terribly interesting or were hard to explore in the first place. But Kunark and Velious are 100% untouched last I checked.

It's not even that bad; there are tons of classic zones that haven't been touched at all aside from lots of extra NPCs and the odd portal to new expansions. I'd say about 80% of the old zones retain their geometry, textures, and NPCs - LFay/Gfay, The Karanas, Kith, Feerrott, Rathe Mountains, Lake Rathe, Everfrost, BB, Dagnor's, OOT, and almost every old dungeon. As for the remaining 20%, some just had texture updates and the geology smoothed; I can really only think of Freeport and Plane of Hate as zones that were completely overhauled, both with geometry and NPCs.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Live versions of Paw, South Karana, Cazic Thule, The Feerrott, Kithicor (though this is already changed on P99 too), Lesser Faydark, Guk, Innothule, and Grobb are also different from their classic counterparts as far as mobs/content if I'm remembering things correctly.

Paw has totally new NPCs. Rather boring, but a great grinding spot
CT has new NPCs, was revamped back in 2001 or 2002
Grobb got changed, but wasn't there an event where the trolls took it back?
Innothule got that texture/geometry overhaul, and probably some new NPCs

The rest you mentioned are 99% the same, though. Guk retains everything from ye olde days, just has a few extra quest NPCs. SK still has all those weird NPCs and rare spawn cycles. Kith still has the day/night undead cycle. Feerrott is the same, they just made a "new feerrott" zone for the HoT expansion.

I still know what you mean, seeing it all in its original state is cool (IMO it's even more cool on EQMac since it's frozen in time), but the amount of changed zones is really low compared to what some people might think.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

iNteg posted:

The funny thing is, I honestly think it's TMO vs the entire rest of the server population. That entire guild BREEDS discontent among the community because of the "elitist" attitude that stealin, alarti, and the rest of the RnF members put out.

I don't even think other guilds bicker with each other. It basically feels like it's TMO vs FE/BDA or whoever is racing or sitting on spawn points for raid mobs for 10+ hours at a time during spawn windows.

And as much as I know that if TMO was to disappear another guild would take its spot, I sometimes think the server might be better without some of the members of TMO being allowed to play on p99 (A lot of TMO are still cool dudes)
I've been following P1999 from the beginning, and from the beginning goons have always reported that there's been at least one annoying top guild in "charge". Truly the Classic Experience.

I wonder if there were any laid-back, drama-free live servers back in the days? Fennin Ro was ripe with it, so I didn't experience it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

So these days, if it's at some crazy rear end hour, and it usually is, it's almost all TMO. Unless it's Gore, because Gore is work, and TMO wipes to Gore a lot, and FE doesn't have the number of skilled raiders to kill Gore yet, so BDA will roll up for Gore.
What is Gore? Gorenaire can't possibly be a challenge.

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, I'll never understand Kanras. He loves to nerf poo poo iccenstantly, even when it's not classic. WTF is up with that "resists break FD" poo poo? Am I remembering it wrong? That's not classic is it?
Is it as far as I know. Getting a spell cast on you while FD'd, even when resisted, broke (and still does without AAs today) FD. You have to time your FD carefully when dealing with a caster mob.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Fungi Tunic is properly non-magic now...which means that rogues can pickpocket it. This can only end in RnF fodder.
Googling a bit reveals that there's a level limit on PP, 5 levels below you is the maximum mob level you can PP. Since the king is lvl 56 or 57, the fungi wasn't PPable - but who knows if the 5 level limit is implemented on P1999.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

rectal_rocket posted:

https://epicemu.com/

Might end up sucking, but giving it a try just for the fresh start experience that I missed out on with P99 by a couple years..
That Randomized Hotzones feature should really be in Live EQ as well, and with a documented bonus, at least 50%. It would add a ton of life and grouping opportunities to the game.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Dizz posted:

Now I know the regular 1999 EQ had pretty difficult soloing, did they ever fix it in here that you could solo decently well?* I've considered just firing this up once in a while if I'm ever bored but that seems like a terrible idea for someone who doesn't want help.

*:Not including dual boxing.
I haven't played it, but if it's an attempt at making a copy of EQ as it was during Velious, there's indirectly a huge boost in ability to solo compared to classic 1999 EQ, thanks to the large amount of easy outdoor zones that scale to high levels.

What I mean by this is that in classic EQ, there were no outdoor zones dedicated to leveling beyond around level 30 or so (South Karana was probably the highest), after that it all took place in dangerous dungeons such as Guk and Solusek's Eye. Even then, outdoor soloing was mostly for casters/kiters, and good spots were far and in between. A few classes could kite guards to high levels. Kunark however, launched with zones with easy mobs in a narrower level range (much more than the crazy level spread in classic zones) that were ripe for the picking one at a time, all the way to level 60. A good classic "xp highway" is:

1-10: Newbie zone (Steamfont or Field of Bone are really good)
10-20: Nearby newbie zone / newbie dungeon, for example Warsliks Wood or Crushbone
20-30: Lake of Ill Omen
30-40: The Overthere, City of Mist
40-50: Dreadlands, Burning Woods, Firiona Vie, Trakanon's Teeth, Emerald Jungle
50+: Dungeons or Skyfire Mountains if you can kite and are up for some danger

A boxer should be able to dabble near the entrance of a few of the dungeons like KC and Sebilis, and at lower levels, do some of the goblin dungeons in Frontier Mountains.

Velious' outdoor zones weren't that amazing compared to Kunark. As far as I recall there's GD for around lvl 30-35, EW for around lvl 30-40, CS with wyverns (mostly for kiters) around lvl 50, and then lower level stuff in Iceclad. Most people went to some of the relatively managable dungeons such as Velk's Lab and Crystal Caverns, which should be boxable.

Class solo ability/balance was massively overhauled with Kunark due to spells and gear, but virtually unchanged from Kunark to Velious. Shamans are amazing with the right spell (Torpor) and have very powerful buffs and debuffs.

I will still say though... soloing in old EQ is time-consuming, frustrating, slow-paced and dangerous. Good luck! :)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Getting to 4 is excruciating on a mage because you know it's going to go 5x faster once you get that fire pet. 3 to 4 sucks on most classes though. It's like a mini hell level of the mind.
Or for priests, lvl 3-5 :gonk:.

While it's nice to get spells every level on live EQ, it did have its charm to have spells tiered. It felt amazing beyond belief to ding a spell level, and the increase in power was sometimes threefold. You really grew with your spells and worked with what you had. Hybrids had it really bad though, 9 levels before the first spell.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

rsjr posted:

Went from 4-8 in the time it took to go from 1-4. I'm actually enjoying the server quite a bit, mainly because Toop hosed up and didn't make it true classic. Like mobs drop half a plat a kill in Crushbone. Mez has no aggro, pets hold aggro really well, HP / mana regen seems faster than classic, etc.
What is the vision (hehe) with the Sleeper server anyway? An attempt at a true copy of Velious, or various tweaks as he sees fit?

I know it's a slippery slope, but I think there are some aspects of classic EQ that the vast majority would agree upon do not add anything but annoyance to the game. For example: death wiping your memmed spells and pets not zoning are some of the biggest peeves of classic emu servers for me.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

The vision is supposed to be Classic with tweaks as the player community and Kegz see fit. /melody is in, supposedly things like target rings and the compass won't go anywhere, Kegz/Toop has hosed with AC and taunt quite a bit (as opposed to P99 where AC never did poo poo, here it's pretty important).
Sounds like a good plan. Just as long as they don't make stuff that was never put into EQ, like if they suddenly added new spells, free levels or purchaseable items or such stuff.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Wow, EQClassic using a classic client is pretty hardcore.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

In addition to supply going down, demand may also go up as a fungi becomes quite useful as raiding gear in Velious. Mobs have way more than 32k HP, fights take longer, and most things have AEs that can be helpfully offset if you stack enough regen. Many more people have extremely good sets of resist gear on this server than did on live, so depending on how they code resists in places like NToV, fungis may, for instance, end up as required gear by guilds like TMO if you're melee DPS the same way that certain sets of resist gear are required right now.
Are you sure about that? I cannot recall anyone from the old days using a Fungi on raids, or honestly, anyone using a Fungi as anything other than a twink item.

With the AEs flying like they do in ToV, you need real healing. Think about it, the Fungi only gives 150 hitpoints per minute.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Holy poo poo. I think you're missing one part of the equation though, which is overhealing. If you get healed for more than you're below max HP, part of the Fungi's regen has been "wasted", theoretically. But fair points stuff.

Well, I'd like to add that 99% of the players back then, including me, were oblivious to the concept of min-maxing, how stats worked, and pretty much all we could figure out was "wear resist gear against dragons". That's how I recall it. I have no doubt that the top guilds on the servers were the ones that were just a tad smarter and were thus able to beat EQ's laughably simple tank 'n spank encounters in the early days. My hat goes off to them.

I remember that there were fads of sorts during the time I played (2000-2002). I seem to recall that AC was the hot stuff, even recommended for Rogues, around Kunark, then in late Velious the trend shifted towards Hitpoints. I also remember some casters that wore resist gear while just grouping in Sebilis, and I always found that dumb.

We were at least clever enough to prioritize Haste and weapon damage (with a weighted judgement of primary damage for backstab) above all else.

When Aura of Battle and FT items came, people well over themselves to get them. From there, effects slowly got actually useful, so people wised up.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

iNteg posted:

I logged in with the intention to play last night. I chit-chat with a few people for like 5 minutes, and get D/C'd while omw to Fear and instead go play Counter-Strike... My desire to play EQ is still very much there, but I don't have the real willpower right now to actually go through with it. the FE/TMO/BDA stuff has me wishing an accidental wipe with no real backups would happen, and everyone had to start fresh.
Is the high-level guild drama still an issue if you ignore the P1999 forums, stay out of the raid game all together and turn off /ooc and such? Does it infiltrate grouping as well?

PS: It's classic EQ, ha ha.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

Granted, DPS on classic EQ is pretty inconsistent anyways. It takes a LOT of parsing to get a good idea of what damage weapons do. I think "the pros" back in the day wouldn't work with less than like 8 hours of log data before saying how parses were.
People on Monkly-Business still to this day sperg out if someone posts a log that isn't 10+ hours worth of parsing. :monocle:

What do people parse on on P1999 anyway - are there any high HP, non-attacking or rooted mobs?

Also, if I might critize one argument:

"-a miss on a 2hb "hurts" a lot more, because you're swinging a lot less"

That's a bit of a fallacy, because it evens out over time. I agree that psychologically it might feel annoying, particularly with EQ's high miss rate.

PS: I'm levelling a Monk (Zliz the Human Monk of course) on EQMac as we speak - good times. I'm working on the newbie armor and the sash quests and eagerly awaiting to hit lvl 17 for FD. :D I love the fact that the world is just there - no station cash store, no RAF bonus, no Lesson, no test copying, absolutely no fuss or bullshit. The game is as it is.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Parsing is a bit rougher because of the lack of these (and believe me, I've bitched about Pain and Suffering not being around to parse against being non-classic). The only situation that works out like that is if you can set up a duel against a warrior or other high hp person and have a Donals cleric sitting nearby spamming their BP on the person you're beating down. Given the provision against boxing and other third party software, it's pretty tough to set this up. I have actually been waiting for the Velious beta server to come up because I have a few parses I want to run and have warrior and cleric accounts ready to box with my monk.
If you don't know it already, and if it gets implemented properly, a good parsing mob should be Bloodmaw in GD. It's perma rooted, has a shitload of HP, and if you have a friend cast high-hate spells on it (tash, stun or snare for example) from a distance, you should be able to attack it from behind for quite a long time.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Nilbog Resident posted:

I'm not sure just how important all the other stats are, but I know once when a 60 Shaman gave me an obscene STR buff I'm pretty sure I didn't hit for less than maximum damage a single time.
Your memory is a bit hazy then. :)

Perhaps what you remember is getting the Avatar buff, which gives the following:

Increase ATK by 100
Increase AGI by 100
Increase STR by 100
Increase DEX by 100

The only part of that which can increase the damage on your hits is ATK, which will make you notice that you're hitting for your max damage more often, as your high(er) ATK is being rolled against the mob's AC.

STR never really did much for melee damage. A developer in April 2000 said this:

quote:

determines how much you can carry; influences maximum and average damage; influences how quickly you learn many offensive skills
STR buffs seem to increase your ATK, but this is misleading, as ATK is just a combined number consisting both of your accuracy and change to get high damage rolls. My assumption is that it works like the avoidance part of AC, i.e. makes your miss less, up to a certain point.

oswald ownenstein: The effect of old stats in old EQ were always speculative and misleading. The only ones people really knew about, and had a noticable effect were STA, which gave hitpoints, and WIS/INT, which gave mana for casters. I'll present you a screenshot of an article on a website I'm working on about EQ, about stats, which has all I could find of old info plus my own judgements. An extra cherry on top of the confusion pie is the fact that P1999 is emulated and customized by the P1999 team, based on unknown or speculative data, so you're pretty much screwed. :) Maybe one could ask the P1999 and/or EQEmu team, as they have the code that makes it work.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Interesting links, love seeing the formulas. :) Just a shame they're emulated, I'd kill for a copy of the real EQ source code...

Regarding STR influencing ATK, I am 100% certain that 1 STR does not give 1 real ATK, unless they've botched it on EQEmu. I clearly remember (Velious era) how massive a buff it was to get a ranger ATK buff, whereas old STR buffs didn't give the same effect. You have to remember that the AC and ATK values we still to this day see in the UI are compounded values, with two real numbers behind them. The false ATK that STR seems to give is really meaningless.

It's odd that I don't recall STR influencing max damage, and I even played a rogue where I knew my max hits and max backstabs by heart. 503 was the max BS with a 15 DMG Ragebringer, and I don't recall anything ever increasing it. It must have been because I always had maxed STR.

Regarding DEX, I've searched and searched and I have simply never seen anything conclusive evidence that DEX did anthing. I've never seen a parse that provided even remotely conclusive evidence. The "best" I've found are some people saying that "maybe if you parse long enough you'll find that more DEX will give you 0.000166783% more proc rates". Eh.

I know CHA had an effect, although I have already read a developer quote saying that its role in charming was tiny, dwarfed by level and MR. Still might be worth buffing if you're charming, mezzing or lulling.

The learning rates were just impossible in practice to parse, I guess.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Cool Buff Man posted:

You're not high enough level to get light blues
At level 25, the new con colors (and slightly different messages for some cons) come into play. http://www.zlizeq.com/Game_Mechanics-Faction_and_Consider#4_Consider_Difficulty

Limbo posted:

Oddly enough I am getting the exp message for some greens, as well as the light blues. I have really been enjoying this, it's brought back so many memories from the early days. I am, however, developing a severe hate for the Sand Giant in NRo. Freakin guy seems to pop up from behind every hill I'm fighting on.
Am I remembering wrong, or did even a low green give the XP message in ancient times? The XP bar just hardly moved, if at all.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Node posted:

Ah... Scars of Velious, my love, second only to Ruins of Kunark. I hope drama doesn't gently caress it up. What a wonderful expansion, and a remembrance to a wonderful time.
Haha, drama free Velious... have fun in Kael and NToV!

As I remember it, a good place to be in the Velious era was sort of a 3rd position guild. No racing for Tormax, Yelinak, Dain, NToV, or SoRZ/AOW, but you could go crazy in all of Kunark, along with PoG, Vindicator, east and west ToV, WW dragons, velk's lab, and perhaps get lucky with Zlandicar and more. Tons and tons of quests with good rewards too, like shawl, dain ring, bracer of benevolence, etc. Awesome expansion indeed.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Hasn't it been the stance of P1999 since the beginning that it would stop at Velious? Luclin is really far from any definition of Classic.

Also, maps that we know today in Live EQ came with LoY. They're still to this day a wireframe nightmare to look at.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

With EQMac gone, I've returned to P1999 as well. Started a necro, because I love to solo. Zliznec the Gnecro is online!

Already got a protip: Don't AFK too much at low levels, because your food and drink will go to waste. I love the little challenges like this.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Goast posted:

Uh, how do you get out of the water in South Felwithe?

Apparently you have to be in first person to jump out of water. What the gently caress.
You don't have to, but it's easier since you can pitch your view up/down easily with the mouse. Alternatively, shift your view up with Page Up while in third person; that'll make you climb up and out.

To this day on Live even, water is a bitch and a half to deal with. Quickly zooming into first person and navigating that way is the best way to deal with it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Is Monk untwinked soloing just balls? I'm a level 6 Iksar in FoB, and the only stuff I can kill are blues, which are hard to find. Even cons kill me 75% of the time.

:smith:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Yeah I guess Monk is a pipe dream, I also have a necro already that I'm dabbling in. With a yellow con pet up, he owns. He's a Gnome though, even though Iksars are technically better.

P99 Blue and Red are both currently down. I'm sitting in IRC hoping that Rogean will say it's because they're dropping Velious, but it's probably something datacenter related.
Have they said that Velious will come out of the blue with no long-term announcement?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

72o posted:

I'm making a tool that reads the last line in the active character's log file to automatically load the map for the zone which was just entered into a GUI, but I'm having trouble finding a list of the exact lines / names of the zones in those lines when you zone in. Stuff like , "You have entered Butcherblock Mountains" or whatever I can get from memory, but others are weird, such as "You have entered The Burning Wood" (instead of "Burning Woods"). So to have the functions be more precise, I'd appreciate any help in getting a list of these lines.

Would they be in a file somewhere in the EQ files themselves, maybe?
You can check the big zone level chart I made recently for my EQ website. I went through great pains to record the precise names of every zone.

http://www.zlizeq.com/Guides-Zone_Level_Chart

It's so fun and quirky how the zone names are all over the place, particularly with the mish-mash use of "The". It didn't really stabilize/streamline until after PoP.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Kinda, got Zliz the monk and Zliznec the necro going.

Might also soon roll a fresh 4-box on Test and level / progress hardcore with no mercs, testbuff nor twink plat/gear. I'm such a sucker for the one-man box army.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I was lucky and got relatively rich (30p) at like level 2 from a simple thing. A Magician was perma-camping Watchman Halv in Steamfont, and I went by and looted Halv's corpse occasionally. The gnome guards drop a sword and shield every time that sell for over 1p each, and sometimes drop fine steel that vendor for 4-6p. Might be worth checking on the guards if you're a newbie gnome.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

truavatar posted:

Speaking of being poor, whoever suggested that I hunt wisps in Erud's Crossing and trade in the greater lightstones in NK, thank you! Exp and plat have both been very good. I'm also on asia time right now, so hardly anyone is ever there.
That's so old school, I remember getting that tip and following it back in the year 2000. I'm not sure why one should precisely sell them in NK, though, but I was lead to that too.

A really nice platinum making tip I found on Live is to kill gargoyles in OOT and loot their Gargoyle Eyes; they sell for almost 10p each to a merchant. Alas, old OOT undead island only has about 4-5 of them (found out the hard way on EQMac), but I think it will add up to a nice amount of cash still. They're around level 18-20.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

The everquest next alpha, and its menu music has got me nostalgic for everquest so I decided to try this and see how well I remember it. The one problem I'm running into is that in everquest I only ever played as a wizard. I loved being able to travel around at will, and help other people who needed to get somewhere (luclin and its teleporters basically destroyed the only reason for wizards to exist which made me sad). Sadly they were kinda useless in a group compared to every other class, and in every mmo i've played since I've always played as a healer.

So I'm kinda torn, I don't know whether to go for the tried and true travelin' fun of my wizard, or try playing a cleric, a class I never ever tried back in eq, but would undoubtedly be more useful to groups.

Does anyone have any advice on playing a cleric in wow and how it compares to something like a priest in wow, etc?
You could also consider a Druid, they can teleport just as well, and are a bit more group friendly. A wizard is not useless in groups though, who told you that? Come Velious, soon to be released, I recall wizards becoming very powerful, with big nukes, lures and improved mana regen.

A Cleric is very different from the wow priest. Clerics can pretty much only buff and heal, and barely do any meaningful damage asides from a few costly nukes and pitiful melee. Clerics are BY FAR the best healer in old EQ, leagues better than the second best (druid and shaman). They are an absolute must on raids, and have several unique buffs and spells. You should be able to join groups very easily (or form your own), but it will be ridiculously tiresome to solo your way to the top.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Angus posted:

Change to first person view. For some reason it's impossible to get out of water in the third person camera.
Actually - unless P99 and the old client is that much different than from current live - you can get out of water in 3rd person, you just need to adjust your view. Even thought you don't see it, pressing/holding PageUp and PageDown (or is it Insert and Delete? Can be adjusted in the Options menu) still pivots your view up/down when in 3rd person, and only when you're looking upwards can you get out of water. You can also use this to adjust your swimming while in 3rd person, although it is generally easier to swim in 1st person.

Swimming in EQ. :gonk: Remember the utterly low view distance underwater in old EQ, compared with low gamma and visibility in general?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

hayden. posted:

Log on, OOC for LFG, get lost running through High Pass, die, yell in frustration, loot corpse, /q, all in under 5 minutes

Yep, classic EQ experience for me
Pray the server saved your character with gear on between your looting and /q'ing. :)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Vargs posted:

Hm, how about ranger? I don't know much about them. They have a lot of the druid spells that I like so much. The fact that they suck seems to be a still running, 15-year old meme, but how true is it? If I made one of these I'd be tempted to wait it out until the hybrid exp penalty is gone though, which could be awhile. If anyone knows approximately how long, that info would be helpful. I'm also a little worried about gear dependency since I don't have much money, though I can make a little bit by porting on my druid.
If you think Druid healing is bad, look at ranger spells and cry at "Healing" (100 HP) being your best heal from level 39 to 57. :monocle:

I'd say the only saving grace of a ranger until Velious is that they have snare, and do manaless damage via their relatively weak melee; better than nothing at least. Still, to this say I find rangers and their bow plinking charming. :)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

hayden. posted:

Isn't there also some difficult item to get in plane of hate off a golem? Mostly it's the VS staff that I hear is next to impossible to get. Drops every few months is the impression I got.
You mean the broken golem in Plane of Fear? According to the P99 wiki, that was implemented later, to prevent the Cazic's Skin from being a roadblock. I'm not sure when the revamp was.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Wizard_Epic_Quest

Ginette Reno posted:

It doesn't really matter how good you are at playing your class because pvp on that server is just twinked people versus people in poo poo gear. It's stupid and pointless unless you're the twink, and then it's fun I guess to beat up people in rags.
It's almost as if world PvP in EQ is a stupid concept as a whole. :monocle:

Is there a level range implemented on Red? As in, max +/- 6 levels can attack eachother? Also, how about twink vs. twink or lvl 60 vs. lvl 60? Does that never happen?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I Love You! posted:

Also a super low Zone Experience Modifier
If it's like it was on live servers, LoIO actually has a negative ZEM, -20%. :/

PS: It's Zone Experience Multiplier :eng101:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

Oh, that reminds me, what's the status of AoE groups in P1999 on red? I remember way back in OG Velious era EQ getting into groups in Chardok with my wizard wherein we grab 8-10 mobs, use a enchanter/cleric/bard to chain AoE stun/mez the lot while a few Wizards and Mages blasted everything down.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

megalodong posted:

So it's just skills that you don't start with at level 1?

All skills you don't start with require a training point for sure. It seems random which level 1 skills require a point to get going. I've searched but haven't found a definitive list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

WTF BEES posted:

On Blue as Traman the Iksar Shaman! Got to level 5 and amazed how much like the old days this server is. Already sold a couple stacks of bone chips for some cash and was gifted some sort of agi belt by a passing monk.

Question: How does a completely new player gather spell money? I just don't see getting 30+pp by the time level 9 rolls around.
Oh hey, I saw you in FoB yesterday. :) You threw me a few pitiful buffs. I am Zliz the Iksar Monk.

I've been thinking about writing up a little "get going" solo guide for Iksars, so now is a good time. I am saving every copper, literally, in order to be able to afford a few good weapons and starting armor.

Grinding XP
To begin with, all should be centered around two things: Killing skeletons and doing the Curscale Armor Quest. As the first thing you do, go to East Cabilis and to the "Haggle Baron" building in the center (across from the Court of Pain Monk guild). Inside is a dude named Klok Mugruk. Hail him and go through the motions, and say "I will perform a small service". This will immediately give you an 8-slot bag and a quest to go fill it with 8 Curscale Skins.

Now head on out to the field. You main targets should be skeletons, as they drop cash, bone chips and often weapons (Kunark equivalent of rusty weapons), and of course the curscale wolf pups and cubs. As soon as your inventory is full, go to the ruins outside of Cabilis and sell, then go back. When you have 8 Curscale Skins, combine them and head back to Klok Mugruk and hand it in. You will get a little cash, good XP, and a random piece of cloth armor. Repeat repeat repeat! As soon as you have saved up around 5 gold and some silver, you can buy a Backpack, sold by a few different vendors in Cabilis. This is worth it so you don't have to go vendor constantly. Monks should save up 1 platinum and go for Medicine Bag, as they weigh only 0.4 each. Don't worry, hitting combine with random items in it won't destroy them like it did in classic. Monks, don't sweat the 14-stone weight limit too much, just don't be overweight too much strength-wise, as it will hinder your ability to flee for the guards.

At level 5 you will still gain a little XP for killing level 1 mobs, so particularly for melee classes, I recommend continuing the mass slaughter of level 1 and 2 mobs. You can mix in killing bugs and such also. If you've been going for the skeletons and curscale quest, you should have plenty of cash for your spells now.

At level 6 the gravy train comes to a bit of a stop as the level 1 mobs no longer give XP. There are still a fair amount of level 2+ mobs in the newbie area, but it is a pickle to get XP. Personally I continued grinding Curscale until level 8. Each hand-in gained me 1 blue bubble, so it was slow, but nice cash, and easy. I filled up two bags at a time (combine one as you go to save weight).

You should also have some class-specific quests you can do to mix it up, such as necromancer skullcap and monk bracers.

At level 8 the Curscale quest gives too little XP to make sense. You're now ready for "the pit", the huge pit in the center of FoB. Your main targets are bonecrawlers, iksar footpads, skeletons ("skeleton", not the bigger ones), large scorpions, and the carrion beetles.

At level 8/9/10, depending on class, you should gain a big boost in power due to new spells and/or abilities. As a Monk, I got upgraded fist damage (from 5/36 to 6/36), plus Tiger Claw, which greatly increased my offense. I could now grind the lower level mobs all day without break, and also go for scalebone skeleton, iksar bandit and greater scorpion.

If you're sick of FoB, you can also head out into the surround areas. Swamp of No Hope has mobs from level 1 up, but it is dangerous as there are trees and hills all over, making it easy to get ambushed. There are also almost no one else there. Lake of Ill Omen also supports newbies just outside of Cabilis, but with a lot more high level wandering mobs than the FoB newbie area.

Getting money
Skeletons drop bone chips plus weapons that vendor for about 2 gold each. Save all bone chips. Some might say that no one buys bone chips in Kunark since they're abundant, but I was lucky and sold all the 10 stacks of chips I had saved up to a ranger who was doing Cabilis faction work (quest to hand in 4 bone chips at at time). I got 5p per stack.

Generally speaking, I save everything and vendor it, and even exchange my copper in the bank. If you're lazy, destroy copper and skip looting items that vendor for mere coppers, such as spiderling legs and wolf scales.

Also save Spider Silk. No one will buy it in a newbie area, but I heard it sells for up to 10p per stack in EC, so it will come in handy later.

My next goal is to hit level 17, get Feign Death, grind it up, then make the dangerous journey to EC and buy some Monk gear. It just seems way too dangerous at my current level 11. :o

• Locked thread