Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
the most useful thing i learned in school was how to read/write x86 assembler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
i have a real interview for a real actual job tomorrow and i could not be more nervous

its frustrating because i'm a C guy mainly i mean i can code a complex C program in my sleep without looking at a single reference and i can do C# and java too but i don't know them nearly as well and the job posting doesn't give a clue what i'd actually be using it has the usual C/C++/C#/Java/Perl/JavaScript/SQL/XML/HTML mumblemess of every programming language that has does or ever will exist and is it too much to ask that you let me know ahead of time what it is you actually epxect me to know

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

BonzoESC posted:

if it's a place you want to work for, they'll ask you about problem-solving and how you would do something from a high level

if it's a place you don't want to work for they'll ask dumb api trivia poo poo

im 28 years old with a wife two kids and a mortgage, i have an english degree that put me $10,000 in debt and never got me a job, and a CS degree that cost me another $5000 to teach me virtually nothing i didn't already know and i have no paid work experience in the field

"place i want to work for" is literally defined as any place willing to pay me $45,000 or more regardless of how crappy the work is

sorry i didn't meanto interrupt im just having a miniature freakout

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Janin posted:

man, don't worry, if 45k is your goal then you can get there by fogging a mirror.

go in that interview and show off your mad C skills
thanks man this is gonna be great!!!!!!

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

man you can make 45k just by being not retarded with excel/access
well who the gently caress wants to do that

also you guys live in very different job markets :stare:

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

ahhh spiders posted:

also $5000 for a university degree seems cheap, are you in europe or somewhere that actually thinks people should be educated
$5000 isn't what the degree cost, it's the amount of debt i incurred to get it

and while yes I learned plenty from cormen's book I learned practically nothing from the teacher "teaching" it but the general worthlessness of cs programs is a whole other thing

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

CaptainMeatpants posted:

going to school for computers was literally, sincerely, unambiguously the worst decision of my life
i have two words for you man, liberal loving arts ok? if you never suffered through some uptight dyke lecturing you on feminist Marxist deconstructionist perspectives on henry james "the portrait of a lady" aka the most boring loving book of all time, you don't get to complain

afterwords: congratulations, here's your degree, we hope you enjoy wiping your rear end with it

s t e m tell your kids hey sure it sucks but let me tell you it could always be worse!!!!

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

rotor posted:

people got too many fuckin degrees imho
if you don't have a degree you're a worthless sack of crap imb (in my book)

i loved every second of my higher education except for the total bullshit 400 level mccarthy witch hunt english seminars but cs education is seriously directionless and schizophrenic and if you spent any time studying it on your own 50% or more is serious "well duh" territory

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

rotor posted:

if i see a guy with no degree and a guy with two bachelor degrees, its a safe bet the guy with no degrees is the smarter of the two.
what does smarter mean exactly

id say it's a safe bet mr. two degrees has a broader base of knowledge but that may end up being a positive or a negative thing depending on what you want him for

anyway I'm just a big dumb liberal snob since I think everyone should have a classical education not to further their job prospects but simply to enrich their lives

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Otto Skorzeny posted:

how well do you speak latin and greek? for instance how would you translate the following:
it's been hmmmm ten years I think since I took Latin????? funnest class ever by a mile no kidding

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Otto Skorzeny posted:

i'm trying to learn it myself although mostly for different reasons. it's kind of a mindfuck how loosey-goosey the word order is and how all the crazy declensions make up for it. vocab is way easier than grammar on the whole

anyways, glad to learn that when you said 'classical education' you actually meant it
and yet I remember practically no latin vocab but i consider the grammar lessons to have been invaluable

if you want to really get english grammar you need a firm grasp of both latin and chomsky imho

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

sounds like someone needs to get a new book
sounds like someone couldn't hack it at state college!

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

...says the guy who is begging for 45k
my expectations are low because this would be my first job in the field but as i understand it these guys are desperate for warm bodies

*fingers crossed*

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Werthog posted:

re: programming languages

so i'm taking that online compilers class and during yesterday's lecture he showed three examples of archaic programming languages with ambiguity that can gently caress with lexical analysis

fortran, pl/1

guess the third one

compiler design is rad, getting my compiler to the point where ti could produce an actual .exe file was one of the most satisfying experiences of my entire life

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
somebody loving hire me already im a loving genius

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
sorry forgot to mention im tethered to bumfuck az does that make a difference????

o thou defense contractors please bestow unto me thy sweet sweet government money

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

JawnV6 posted:

commute to chandler?

three hours one way

if i lived anywhere near maricopa county this would be much easier and yet i would hate my life even more!

this job im going for is java jsp tomcat kwakkey i was like holy poo poo its shaggars dream job :wth:

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Dr. Honked posted:

there has been a disturbance in the spergosphere lately because micro$$hatf refuse to support c99 in visual studio

if you really want c99 why don't you just grow a beard and get a linux

It is a little frustrating that VS doesn't support C99 but they say their customers aren't demanding it and in all honesty who can argue with that logic? As Raymond Chen says all features start out with -100 points and why waste time implementing something your customers don't want?

Anyone seriously doing a lot of C coding these says is probably not using VS anyway.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Gazpacho posted:

someone who wants to write a windows app in c just likes pain i guess, they're def not doing it to make money

Fun fact COM is implemented in and was designed to be usable from C and if you never write a COM server at least once in pure C you're officially a dumb gay baby.

Also on the book topic, "The Practice of Programming" by Kernighan and Pike is a great one.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
ugh all this schooltalk makes me want to post a small novel about how ridiculous my entire cs education was but nobody cares so ill just say this:

my intro class did not feature any programming langauge at all, it did not even feature computers. only "pseudocode" written longhand on paper. and something called "structure charts" which im still not sure what they are (aside from pseudocode statements written inside little boxes) but they are definitely NOT flow charts which are evil.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
i start next week at my new job doing java and i keep thinking to myself hmm i should brush up on my java or something but i don't do it because honestly it's loving java how hard can it be

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
i don't think that'll be my responsibility but ~~you never know~~

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
trapped in southern arizona, pls send help and/or non government jobs

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

salted hash browns posted:

Yeah I mean I like python but I'm not going to defend it's "speed and scalability" because it's not

https://modelingguru.nasa.gov/docs/DOC-1762

Check out java

gently caress yeah fortran

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
this is kind of like how every C book in the world is this giant fuckoff doorstop brick of a tome while the only one worth reading, K&R, is a thin svelte little pamphlet that still tells you every single thing you need to know about the language

burn all doorstop tomes forever

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
cygwin is the most pointless poo poo on earth

if you want lovely linux trash quit lying to yourself and just use linux, that's all

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

yaoi prophet posted:

yeah basically

if you want you could try playing around with emulators for old consoles since those tended to not try to do tricky things with memory (and also if you gently caress up memory editing in an emulator you won't crash your entire computer)

i dont know what counts as tricky things with memory but old consoles are full of bank switching and custom chips cuz u know they fucken had to

if you want to gently caress around with any kind of hooking another process and loving around inside its internals the way to go is DOS since that's basically how every single program worked anyway

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
I been writing a lot of JavaScript for work lately and man that's a crazy language I mean its not that bad really but I have this weird feeling that its like creeping crud to where the more JavaScript you write the more JavaScript you have to write does anyone know what I mean ?????

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Shaggar posted:

Once ur a web "dev" you're tainted forever.

right now im the only one working on this project so i have to do everything

the java parts are so nice and easy and fun but everything else is a gigantic pain in the rear end

right now im fighting with sql server 2005 and really wishing we were on 08 or 12 so i could use table valued parameters to stored procedures

the whole thing is a clusterfuck because the app we're replacing was a mess of horrible architecture that was hard or impossible to modify so our customer wants "everything in the database so it'll be easy to make changes!" :suicide:

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
If you've never written a compiler from scratch you are probably gay and or stupid

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Shaggar posted:

checked exceptions and stored procs ftw.

the rightest post

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
unlike you big whiny babies i like my job but that may be because for the last three weeks ive been flying solo and not having to deal with anybody else's stupid fuckups and that all comes to a screeching halt this monday :(

im also terrified for this project to end because i havent heard of any new work coming our way and the last thing i want is to be put on support detail for our primary product which si a big steaming pile of legacy crapola

if anyone is in the san diego area and your company can pay for relocation, there's two things you need to know: a) i'm brilliant and b) i'll suck your dick for the job and i'm not even kidding

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
Modafinil is pretty great but I can't do that stuff anymore

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

AWWNAW posted:

I have to interview a developer tomorrow what sort of coding test should I give them

coding tests are stupid and a waste of time

ask real questions that require paragraph-length answers about concepts that are crucial to your business and or your project

not only will this reveal whether or not the individual actually understand those concepts--as opposed to is he or she merely able to poo poo out some crummy code on command--but it will also demonstrate whether the candidate posesses actual communication skills which are too often sorely lacking

best of all it saves everyone the indignity of trying to draw curly braces on a white board

and no trick google questions about light switches or escaping from a blender or you will surely burn in hell forever

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
javascript is really a perfectly fine language, it's the loving dom and everything related to it that makes you want to eat a loving bullet

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Shaggar posted:

no its not stop saying this. its a scripting language that was designed for opening and closing a browser window or maybe displaying an auto updating clock. its not a programing language.

yeah I mean its perfectly fine at what it's for, which is glue between your backend and the browser. anyone who uses it for more than that is an idiot and anyone who wastes time with something that "compiles" to javascript should be shot in the face

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Gazpacho posted:

i thought about moving to atlanta for a while but half their available jobs that dont require clearance are video tech (already done it) and the other half are hospital IT (no)

getting a clearance isn't that bad, I have awful credit and copped to prior drug use and I still got one

you just need a few months lead time and some good explanations for any derogatory information

and not be a current and active gently caress up of course

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
java isnt great and it isnt terrible it kind of just is.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Zombywuf posted:

I got worried about this for a moment http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Not-Good-Enough-for-Paul.aspx

But then I read the comments and I felt better. That's not how the internet usually works...

anyone who describes anything as "full of fail" is a retarded whiny baby fit only to work the drive thru window at mcdonalds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
tef: the worst poster