Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Kodiak posted:

Right, the Species model.

Also the Jurassic World model, also in broader terms the model behind any movie or show or book or game that gives its villain a measure of sympathy by including a traumatic backstory that they're taking violent revenge on. The hosed up part of that model isn't that it encourages or normalizes abuse, because like you said, it doesn't really do that. It's that it posits a sort of threshold beyond which you can throw up your hands at an abuse survivor and say "Welp, too far gone. It's time to kill you now and maybe be sorta sad about it. Not my fault"

But like, the redemptive interpretations of these movies are always super easy and pretty fun. I rode for Sil, I rode for Verizon Wireless Presents: the Indominus Rex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

Actually, upon reflection I will be watching that movie based on the scene where they redress the girl from Modern Family

Heck yeah, goblin makeovers for everyone

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
FYI y'all have permission from your devout Christian friend Jenny to say that these posts are dumb as gently caress

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Love too dislike people simply because of their religion

the_american_dream posted:

Disliking someone because of their religion kind of makes you a poo poo of a man, friend

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

the_american_dream posted:

Tolerance is optional. Good point.

Seems to not exactly jibe with how you usually post though

Man I don't even know how I'm meant to usually post but uh yeah, "tolerate this intolerance" is indeed dumb as gently caress

To be a little less glib about it, "tolerance" is a dodgy goal in the first place, because it implies this sort of ahistorical lack of context that sorta melds the lived experiences of women, people of color, LGBT groups, marginalized faiths, etc. into this lazy milieu of "hey man I don't see color, we're all equal". It ignores the specific needs for justice that have piled up for these groups in question on account of the history they've suffered in favor of a contentless "let's be polite". You tolerate when the sound system at the grocery store starts playing Macklemore because you know you're getting out of the place in two minutes anyway. Hopefully you (the general you, I'm not interested in casting implied or direct aspersions on you specifically) extend a little more than that towards gay people, and so on

Specifically, what you extend is radical love, the kind that Christ preached, the kind where you champion the dignity and indeed the practical safety and comfort of those who have been targets of institutional prejudice. The equivocation with those-poor-defenseless-evangelicals breaks down here because they're not the prostitutes and adulterers in the analogy, they're the Pharisees, they're exactly the people that Christ spoke out against with passion and contempt. They're the people that enjoy positions of great societal comfort and influence, and who use that influence to withhold justice from those that they've identified as undesirables. Christ never spoke about how we must tolerate the Pharisees, lest we become just as bad as them, or whatever horseshit. Instead... he dunked on them, over and over and over and over and

If we go back to the original post that sparked this pearl-clutching, resurgam wasn't worried that Kinnear might be - gasp, a Christian, like 71% of Americans - but that his faith might be the kind that would inform his decision to star in a movie that appears to espouse some grossly paternalistic racism. That's been made abundantly clear in the various follow-up posts to resurgam's first, and it was honestly already clear in that first one too, but there's this weird insistence from your end that the content of those posts is entirely "Christianity bad", and that "tolerance" must be extended to all of Christendom, even when the issue at hand is that this specific brand of Christendom has a wholly inadequate understanding of what "tolerance" towards people of color entails

And I mean like, this is why I contextualized my previous post by confirming that I'm a devout Christian myself. If there was any more need for confirmation that the argument at hand wasn't "Christianity bad" (there was no such need), I wanted to confirm that I, as a Christian (the most insidious kind of intolerant internet atheist of all?), agreed with the criticisms being levied of this specific form of Christendom. Which, y'know, is part of my job as a Christian: to criticize the failures of Christendom to adhere to the teachings of Christ, and to the pursuit of justice in this world and in the next one, whenever they are apparent. Paul told me to test everything and to hold fast to what is good. Christ told me to hate my own father and mother and wife and children and brother and sisters

And so I do

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
If you had those same "10 scariest clips" to work with, what direction would you have taken it in? Or is that kinda a moot question

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Good calls. I actually feel like "I have to say goodbye" does a pretty decent job as a final line of hitting the same sense of ambiguous sweetness/menace that the rest of the Morgan marketing it is going for, but yeah, adding "mother" is a clown move that the robot's human spotter should've been there to prevent

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

that movie looks, sounds and feels like it was directed by Garry Marshall.

Joke's on you, it's actually directed by the Driving Miss Daisy guy

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Man I just got teagone's username

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Dillbag posted:

Oh good we won't see the monster the movie is named for until the second hour of the film, well after the protagonist we've been following dies off-screen in a scaffolding collapse.

[whispering to date while watching Rogue One when Rogue One first appears on the screen] That's Rogue One

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

And the guy's a producer. At some point you have to admit he's good at what he does.

I didn't see anything after Signs and before The Visit, so pretty much the whole period where he was a a punchline. If I'm gonna watch one of those, which should it be?

EDIT: Whoops, that post did not make any sense until I edited it

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 26, 2016

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Because sarcasm, snark and irony are the only forms of humor. Anything idiosyncratic is unintentional or trying too hard or whatever.

I've only seen the clip where the deranged old woman is insisting that Wahlberg is going to try and kill her in his sleep, and his line readings as he denies the accusations are indistinguishable from his character in Pain & Gain reassuring the Rock that nobody's going to get hurt

davidspackage posted:

The Visit is that found footage-y movie about crazy grandparents, right? I was intrigued by the trailer and then heard nothing about it. Is it legit worth a watch? Much as I might gripe, I like a lot of Shyamalan's fare. Devil was okay.

It's very very good

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
If there was ever a movie that earned the hell out of "little kid raps a plot synopsis over the end credits",

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Y'all seen Shia in American Honey? He was kinda broad but pretty drat magnetic in that

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Vegetable posted:

I know her only from Cloud Atlas.

She was not in that movie

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The situation in CineD has become dangerous and unacceptable

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Goosebumps was better than The Force Awakens.

I was seriously not expecting the movie to code Stine as a child abuser who wrote a series of charming children's books as a way of sealing away his violent pathologies

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I should have figured it would be really weird based on the fact R.L. Stine is the main character, and he's played by Jack Black.

The fact that the real RL Stine shows up for 5 seconds at the end and confirms his status as a droopy harmless granddad is a great punchline on that poo poo

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I'm trying to think of another movie that does something similar because it seemed so familiar. There's stunt casting like David Bowie as Tesla but that's not quite the same.

Jordan Belfort introduces Leo at a seminar in the last scene of The Wolf of Wall Street

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

U just gotta replace the music with a guy giving a monologue about "the innovators, the risk takers, the life changers" or reading something by Walt Whitman & u have a killer tech ad.

I'm for real mad that there's a style of saturated, high-contrast, mostly static shot that's genuinely pretty but is also forever inextricable from the work of some fuckers tryna hock you glossy poo poo

One of my clients a few years back was a tequila company that wanted to message themselves as dark and mysterious, and there was this one shot in one of the preliminary ad concepts we were testing for them. It was black and white, a nighttime scene, two rows of burning cars facing each other with a path between them. As the camera slowly moved up along the path, the cars' headlights began turning on

I got so mad that a shot that sick was being relegated to stock footage designed to ineffectively sell mediocre tequila. It's the second-maddest I've ever been at capitalism

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Indeed, it does not look as good as Hardcore Henry.

Yeah like most of the first-person choreography was decent but the real star of Hardcore Henry was its overwhelming Russian-ness. You're not gonna get something as good if you just borrow first-person ultraviolence

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

married but discreet posted:

That poo poo is straight out of a comedy, how is this even possible

Furiously googling Jennifer Lawrence Accursed rear end

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

This sorta reminds me of Joy, that wretched Jennifer Lawrence movie from a couple years back.

The second best stock character is the woman who folds her arms aggressively and says things like, "Because I'm a woman, I had to be twice as ruthless as everyone else to be taken seriously"

The best stock character is the woman of color who folds her arms aggressively and says things like, "Because I'm a woman of color, I had to be four times as ruthless as everyone else to be taken seriously"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Mary Magdalene looks like the sequel to We Are Your Friends.

I think it's a pretty interesting choice to play Jesus Christ like a mobster in a bootleg Scorcese who's a couple lines away from stabbing someone in the throat with a corkscrew, but otherwise uh... yeah, woof

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Out of curiosity for fans of the books, do they do anything involving different gender presentations and identities through switching up a character's sleeves, or is it pretty much male character has male sleeves, female character has female sleeves

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Proteus Jones posted:

God drat you're making me reach to remember, but I *think* there was at least one secondary character that swapped genders. I'm going to have to put them on the re-read list now.

This is also the guy who wrote a hack and slash fantasy series with a gay man as the primary POV. A Land Fit For Heroes trilogy.

I'd be interested with what you come back with if you do end up re-reading, but don't sweat it! It's much less of a "this is problematic regressive trash if it doesn't include weird gender poo poo" and much more of a "this seems like an ideal sci-fi pretext to do weird gender poo poo, it'd be cool if that factored in"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In the very first book they virtually sleeve a (man-identifying) character into a tiny teenage girl's body so that an interrogation is scarier.

Hahahaha that's gross as gently caress. Rules

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Land of the Lustrous is insanely good though . . .

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm always here for Mackenzie Davis just bug-eyeing all over a situation, no matter how iffy the rest of the movie looks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

stupid and submissive [ . . . ]
monosyllabic cock-hungry nymphos
with gargantuan breasts and a three-word vocabulary

Adult films are populated with these collagen-injected
liposuctioned women
Many of whom have resorted to surgery and self-mutilation
in an attempt to look the way they have been told to look.

These aren't real women. They're objects.

Wrong bitch, they're me!!

• Locked thread