Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
curses that i bought a gsync monitor instead of a gsync compatible freesync monitor so i'm locked into nvidia at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

shrike82 posted:

Seems like the mapping might be:
2080 Ti -> 3080
2080 -> 3070 Ti
2070 -> 3070

The 3090's 24GB makes it a Titan/compute card but it's funny how people who wouldn't buy a Titan are planning to buy it.
Marketing's a funny thing.

well if it's supposed to be the titan it going from $2500 to $1400 would be a huge price drop

or was that nvidia's entire strategy with the titan RTX, make it way more expensive than it needed to be so the next one would look "reasonable" in comparison

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I’ve been watching more and more GN and they are pretty alright.

He moves his hair too much though.

Steve's hair and his love of cats despite him being allergic to them is the best part of his channel.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Honestly i haven't even cared about Cyberpunk (never cared for anything CDPR did), I'm just excited about Flight Sim 2020 and how we finally have a game that goes balls to the wall with visual quality

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

AirRaid posted:

Haven't seen this article posted -

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-provides-further-details-on-geforce-rtx-30-series

NVidia answered a bunch of questions on Reddit clarifying a couple of things, such as why the Cuda Core count suddenly doubled, and a few other things. Nothing mind-blowing but some interesting bits.

quote:

New ultra performance mode for 8K gaming. Delivers 8K gaming on GeForce RTX 3090 with a new 9x scaling option.

So it's upscaling from sub-4k to get to "8K"?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I'll try for a 3080 on the 17th but if it becomes a huge pain to find I'll just go "gently caress it" and get the 3090 instead and hold onto that for 3 years (how long I had my 1080Ti for). The amount of money I've spent on FGO exceeds the cost of the 3090 by a fair margin anyway so whatever, it's not like I have a social life or go out to eat or anything.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

TerminalSaint posted:

At this point, even if they have decent stock, the shortage will be a toilet paper style self-fulfilling prophecy.

the bright side of this is if they do somehow have decent stock the people who panic buy and end up with too many are going to have to dump them

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
That DF video convinced me that motion blur is good if you can render 1000+ FPS, that Quake footage looked drat good

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

physics is a bitch ain't it

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
The 3080 is real tempting but I have to say it's ridiculous for me to want to buy a card 3 years later that has less VRAM than the one I have now (10 vs 11). Almost want to go for the 3090 just to avoid that entirely since I noticed Flight Sim is really creeping up at the limits of my 1080ti's VRAM

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

TheCoach posted:

I'm in the demo of "not enough cash to go high rez or high refresh rate monitor" and this is BS, people just turn off v-sync because v-sync especially in fps games feels like total dogshit. Yes screen-tearing, I don't care about it at all, games just feel snappier when they run at high fps even if the monitor cannot display it properly.

It might not seem like it's that big of a deal but when G-SYNC or FreeSync work properly it's incredible

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Riflen posted:

FS2020 is not using anywhere near 11GB VRAM. If you open the developer overlay for the game, or use the Special K GPU widget, you'll see the real VRAM usage, not what software like afterburner can show you, which is simply allocated memory.

Games allocate or cache if you like. If you're purely going by something like afterburner, you've no idea how much VRAM is actually used nor how much is needed to run the game well.

I used the in game FPS profiler and it only shows about 9 GB accessible to the game, and I've definitely had moments where I saw 8 GB in use. Maybe that's not an accurate representation of the situation?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
On one hand gently caress them, on the other hand if ETH crashes 6 months after launch and I can score a firesale 3090 like I did for a 1080 Ti after the 2018 bust, I'd be willing to wait

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Truga posted:

8k is in the high enough pixel density range that at normal sitting distances your eyes can't distinguish individual pixels any longer. i'm super hyped for it to be affordable

Didn't they say this about 4K?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Volguus posted:

On local Kijiji one person is selling EVGA 2080ti FTW3 for $1,200CAD. The best part about the ad is this:

It's funny.

he's right but also i hope someone robs his rear end for that

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

i see the problem here. it's the fool still using an air cpu cooler

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Looks like this guy didn't get the memo that hsfs are back in fashion again

Hey sometimes people get it wrong, just because people don't know how to mount their AIOs properly that's on them.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

shrike82 posted:

waiting for the super refresh isn't a bad idea if you don't feel the need to upgrade

there's quite a large continent of posters here, on reddit/r/nvidia, and on resetera that have gotten hyped up by the online enthusiast crowd where they're gunning for day 1 purchases where they would have otherwise been quite happy waiting

I've cooled down after the initial hype and realizing that my 1080Ti still handles 1440p at max just fine and the one game I play it doesn't is poorly optimized CPU wise so that's really the biggest issue.

I'll wait a month or two and see how things shake out.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

repiv posted:

someone on reddit emailed seasonic about their 12pin modular cables, and seasonic replied saying they're going to give them away for free

meanwhile evga is charging :20bux::20bux: it's individually sleeved but still come on lmao

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-NK-3000-B9

drat i'm glad i bought a 850W seasonic

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I was really annoyed that I had to be up at 6 AM this entire week for a virtual conference but given that I'll actually be awake for the orders to open maybe it's a silver lining. Was hoping to read the reviews yesterday but I guess i'll have one day to decide how hard I want the 3080.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
joke's on nvidia my utilities are included in the rent so i don't care how power inefficient it is

thank god the 3080 appears to be so power-hungry it's actually a bad bet for ethereum miners

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
As an upgrade from a 1080Ti this looks like a very solid performance gain - I'll be trying to pick one up tomorrow for sure then.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Any particular reason why everyone is gunning for an FE over the AIB versions?

the AIB cards look like garbage and will probably cost $100-200 extra, and the FE appears to actually perform well in cooling this time

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Broose posted:

Nothing Nvidia sells directly can be put into your cart cause the button doesn't load. Not even NVlinks. But yeah rest of the site is working perfectly.

Sitting on their page right now, it loads fast enough just that the Notify Me button is there which I assume is still correct behavior until they push the button in 9 minutes.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'm no marketing wizard but aren't launches like this worse than a later launch that has its poo poo together and actually has stock to sell? Why not wait until they have products before launching? I was ready to snap up a 3080 or 3090 but now we're all going to be waiting around so I guess might as well see what AMD has to offer.

i'm pretty sure if anything this is like Supreme or whatever where the scarcity only boosts demand and people accept the problems as "well everyone wants it so badly their servers are being hammered so i must get my hands on it"

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

axeil posted:

Yeah that's the insane thing. Why can't we just place orders and we'll get it when we get it? Instead we have to play f5 sniper for the next however many months it takes for the bots to stop grabbing them all.

Because this anxiety is driving people to want it more, it's a marketing trick.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

triple sulk posted:

I dunno why people think this was botted when pretty much only Shopify-oriented bots exist for sneakers. There's clearly just virtually zero stock and it's a fake launch for press

(edit: unless NVidia magically throws up inventory late for some reason)

more bot discussion in this thread than in an hour of MSNBC

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Laughing at everyone who smugly went "You shouldn't pre-order hardware before it comes out" because it gives us poo poo like this

*2 weeks ago* No one should preorder anything, you're a fool if you preorder things

Now: "Why aren't any hardware companies setting up preorder systems??"

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

shrike82 posted:

lol and people are already talking about “falling back” to a 3090 so next week should be worse with an even more of a paper launch

the bastards knew what they were doing all along

and i'll probably fall for it

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

NoDamage posted:

The USPS lets you normalize addresses which should get around this problem.
Hmm, okay. Ultimately the destination address seems like it would be the bottleneck there. You can generate phone numbers, you can generate credit cards, but at the end of the day you have to actually send the product somewhere.

It seems like a lottery based system limited to one entry per street address would be a good start. The lottery means you don't have to beat a bot at filling out forms, and the street address means you can't put in a million entries for a single person.

I can't count the number of times USPS's "normalized addresses" completely gently caress up routing packages to my apartment.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

D-Pad posted:

I hear the people who paid $1200 for a 2080 Ti that the 3080 blows out of the water aren't too happy. nVidia knows they'll still get their money.

gee its almost like people told everyone to hold off on the 2080Ti because it was vastly overpriced for what it was. If you bought one in the past 6 months that's entirely your fault for being impatient.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Durzel posted:

The only practical solution to this, I feel, is not giving scalpers enough time to think or prepare. If Nvidia and the AIBs had been ready to go, Nvidia could have presumably orchestrated preordering (or ordering) to begin at the end of their recent keynote. Hardcore gamers - real customers - would’ve been following it anyway, so they would’ve been the ones who would’ve stood to benefit.

As it was they said “these cards are awesome, cost half as much as the previous gen and are faster, so everyone is going to be desperate for them. You’ll be able to preorder them in a couple of weeks from our website, which you can now spend all your time getting your bots in place to exploit”

It boggles the mind that time and time again companies seem to completely underestimate the determination and resourcefulness of people who stand to make a significant profit if they can get as much stock as possible. Nvidia could’ve done the bare minimum and frustrated casual botters and scalpers, but instead they left their website to run off of the Digital Ocean system as per usual, which is purpose built to offload e-commerce stuff to APIs, a perfect vector for automated abuse.

nVidia is benefiting from this. People are seeing massive demand and it's triggering their desire to grab a card when they possibly can. It's a feature that things appear so out of stock that people are scrambling to pay way over MSRP from scalpers

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

mA posted:

Jayztwocents has a new video where he discusses cook groups and the 3080. He spends the first 2 minutes talking about how he's a capitalist and loves capitalism and free markets, then goes on to make an awful "No true Scotsman" argument about scalpers and cook groups.These tech influencers are so painfully out of their element when they attempt to discuss politics or stray from discussing hardware and benchmarks.

wouldn't exactly expect a tech youtuber to be a marxist but yeah, him realizing the contradictions and then brushing it away was definitely frustrating to watch

Watching companies like Valve handling preorders for the Index well, and even smaller niche manufacturers of gaming controllers like Honeycomb for flight sims getting it right with announcing proper preorders, while nVidia just fails to come up with a decent system. If they had announced preorders immediately at the end of the announcement with no chance for bots to set something up it would have been far smoother.

HalloKitty posted:

I have no idea whether this has been posted yet, but the rumours about the 16GB 3070 and the 20GB 3080 seem to be panning out, as expected.
https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-confirms-geforce-rtx-3060-8gb-rtx-3070-16gb-and-rtx-3080-20gb

Gigabyte screwed the pooch it seems, and left some pretty obvious references to those card models laying around

Good news - I don't feel bad about waiting a few months anymore now if they're just going to release a 20GB variant. I find it a bit absurd that I would buy a card with 1 GB less VRAM than my 1080Ti 3 years later.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I have the exact opposite reaction. I'm wondering how I can build up a youtube following in the next two years so that I can get a new GPU from Nvidia.

Thinkin about loving around and being a anime Vtuber whos gimmick is reviewing PC hardware for this now

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

spunkshui posted:

Pre-orders would’ve made the truth obvious that many people are not getting a card this year because they don’t have them.

Learning that your are number 40,562 for the EVGA card would be bad press for Nvidia.

Would it though? It's not like they're getting good press from this situation either. I guess people will complain no matter what but truth of the matter is they just cannot manufacture these things in enough quantity, and I'm sure AMD will have exactly the same problem next month. If AMD is smart they'll make it easy to preorder with a system like Valve's and force their partners to do the same.

In case people forget, this year had a massive hole shot in every manufacturing schedule for months. No poo poo it was going to be in short supply. At least with a back order system people would feel at least comfortable they'll get it eventually versus this bullshit.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

shrike82 posted:

If you’re spending an inordinate amount of time trying to buy a card, you should consider pricing your time and seeing if buying a scalped card ends up being cheaper

time isn't 1:1 fungible with wages

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

gently caress you, my time is worthless

and i wouldn't have it any other way off the clock

i relish my free time having no monetary value

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
where are people seeing these in stock because the site sure as hell wasn't showing it as in stock for me

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

triple sulk posted:

there was an ATC link similar to before. could get one in the cart but lmao at spending 1500 loving dollars on a graphics card that's barely better than the one less than half as expensive

Yeah watching the Tech Jesus review now and i'm glad I couldn't make it through. Lol at paying $800 more for 7 more FPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Just lmao