Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Final Fantasy II is also up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

FF IX was released in 2000. The web as we know it today was a baby back then and I don't believe that there were any sites which guided people to that elusive ocean chocograph (I wasn't aware of any at least).

Gamefaqs was launched near the end of 1995, and when I started using it in 1998 it already had tons of stuff for big games like Final Fantasy.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Someone on Facebook accused me of just being nostalgic but I actually like what Square Enix did with the visuals for FFIII and FFIV. I would have been fine with that for FFVI. But not this... thing.

They should just make this:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

For that the port was kind of lovely, I still have a soft spot in my heart for the cutscenes they added to the Final Fantasy Anthology version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Apk08fgDNg

Oh wow, I did not remember those things even existing, and I've finished all of the PSX Anthology ports (after I'd finished them all on an emulator, I never had the Snes versions). That's pretty cool, actually.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I was going to get the HD version, but then I started thinking that I put like 140 hours into FFX over a decade ago and did everything except kill Dark Yojimbo, Dark Anima and Penance. The whole "kill Dark Yojimbo five times" thing is what finally got me to stop playing, so maybe that's enough of FFX for me.

e: Also did 100% on X-2 (with a guide because gently caress doing it without one) but I don't remember how long that took.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

II is bad but at least it's hosed up in funny and interesting ways. III is just bad.

e: Also the DS version of III is the only main series FF I've stopped playing several hours in with no intention of ever going back to it because gently caress that game.

Veib fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 5, 2014

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

FFIII DS is the only main series FF game I've stopped playing with no intention to ever go back to it (I've beaten the NES version). I got up to the Goldor Manor.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Okay then, I guess I'll be getting a Playstation TV, since I'm not really a huge fan of handhelds.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

For this site in particular, I saw TSL listed by a few people in the "Books you couldn't finish" thread in the Book Barn. But I post on a lot of forums and it's not very popular on a good chunk of them.

The Book Barn currently has a thread calling out the forum for reading nothing but genre fiction.

Unsurprisingly, it's a lot shorter than many popular threads about genre fiction.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oh hey that's great news, Remember Me was one of my favorite games last year. Obviously it has some huge glaring issues, but all the good things more than made up for that for me. I understand why it's so divisive.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Old-school FF tended to be a 4-person affair except for FF4, which is as far as I know the only FF where you ever had more than 4 people in the active party at any time.

The mobile-only Final Fantasy Dimensions has 5-person parties.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Gologle posted:

Wow guys, if you like FF6 so much, why didn't you buy it back then?

I did!

The PSX version. :smith:

(And maybe I would've bought the Snes version if they'd bothered to release it in Europe.)

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Load times in what sense? Between battles or screens?

Battles, screens, menus, everything. Just like the PSX versions of Snes FF games. The Toriyama cutscenes are pretty cool though, but you can just watch them on Youtube or something.

(Android version is the same as iOS, except it doesn't work on 5.0.)

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

dMastri posted:

I recall the combat in X being realtime with macros and such, is that the case?

No that's XII, X is straight-up completely turn-based.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I really liked the job system in Dimensions, pretty much everything else was ok but kinda forgettable, except for Alba who is terrible. It did make me realize I don't actually hate random battles completely as a concept, I hate random battles in modern jrpgs with (disc-based) load times and long flashy animations for everything.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

precision posted:

You can't really do any exploration in FF10 until the very last chapter either, unless you like absolutely batshit insane backtracking.

And people complained a whole lot about that a decade ago. But since it's stopped being the newest game in the series, nobody cares anymore.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

New Theatrythm Songs, Nier!!!!!

BMS Final Fantasy IX — “Vamo’ alla Flamenco”
BMS Sword of Mana 2 / Seiken Densetsu 3 — “Swivel”
BMS SaGa Frontier 2 — “Miβgestalt”
BMS Chrono Trigger — “Frog’s Theme”
FMS Legend of Mana — “Ruined Sparkling City”
FMS NieR Gestalt/RepliCant — “Kainé/Salvation”

http://www.finalfantasy.net/ix/curtain-call-dlc-live-japan/

This loving game keeps being the thing that makes me want to get a 3DS. I love Chrono Trigger, I love the soundtrack, and I reaaallly loving love Frog's Theme.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oh wow I never noticed how the Steam description for FF3 says it's "... one of the best-loved games from the epic RPG series...". Seems legit!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

univbee posted:

Correct, unless you count Mystic Quest (except it was called Mystic Quest Legends in Europe, no FF in the title).

And for some added confusion Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu) for the Game Boy was released as Mystic Quest (no FF, no subtitle) the same year.

e: Also I had to check and we didn't get a single SaGa game either until SaGa Frontier 2 in 2000, and for a moment there I was afraid it would've been loving Unlimited Saga. For some reason I always thought we got the GB Final Fantasy Legend games at some point.

Veib fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 16, 2015

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Sunning posted:

It took about a decade but he's successfully transitioned into mobile gaming with Terra Battle.

The game's also a nostalgic return to the good old days of Squaresoft games not being released in Europe. It's still only out in some countries over here.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

So they're ripping off Earthbound?

You being a Light Warrior too is from the ending of Final Fantasy 1 so if anyone is ripping somebody else off here it's Earthbound.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

It's not a Final Fantasy thing, it's a jrpg thing. See: EDGE MAVERICK and his predecessor, Fate Linegod.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I knew the characters FF Type-0 had numbers for names, but it wasn't until seeing "Seven" specifically in a video that I realized just how funny this actually is. It's a beautiful name for a boy or a girl, especially a girl, or a boy.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The PSX version of FFVI came with a demo of FFX in Europe. Too bad the PSX version is terrible.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Just got an email to download FF Record Keeper, the new iOS game. It's up on the U.S. store

I've been playing it for a couple hours now and at least so far I kinda like it. I haven't managed to run out of F2P energy yet. Gameplay is just repeated battles, but as a shameless fanservice product it seems pretty loving exceptional. 16-bit sprites even from the newer games! Music from when Final Fantasy was still good (ie. you were 12)! Nostalgia overload!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

If a story is well written, knowing what happens doesn't make it any worse. The Usual Suspects/Citizen Kane/whatever are still really loving good movies after you've seen them five times and know the big twist.

The joke here is that there are literally zero jrpgs that have legitimately good, well written stories so who cares

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Rydia's magic stat is around 120 at level 50. Tyro's is around 88.

The English official wiki says 68 for Tyro. Black Mage has 88.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Are these event dungeons in Record Keeper one time only, or do they rotate in and out? So if you don't get Tifa/Sephiroth now, can you get them sometime later again, or is this it? I don't really play these kinds of mobile games so I don't know how they work.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Tortolia posted:

In "FFXIV does nostalgia right" category, they just changed the music that plays when you ride the Magitek Armor mount around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRV3sEgxa28

There's a whole lotta people riding their armor around post patch. I am one of them.

That's cool, I was disappointed it wasn't this to begin with.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

It didn't come out for SNES in the states, then we got a crappy PS1 port with torturous load times and a crappy translation devoid of humor

Well, at least there was the RPGe fan translation of the Snes version in 1998, starring Butz. It was obviously a much better way to play the game at that time.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The iOS version of FF5 is not as bad as people make it seem.

Yeah. When it comes to re-releases (and sequels) of old games, "bad" more often than not means "not exactly like when I was 12".

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Whenever people mention liking VIII I have to remind them that the main characters hold an emo rock concert on some abandoned oil platform in the middle of the ocean during their quest to save the world because one of them is sad about something.

Everyone seems to block that part out of their memory.

Well I apparently have because I have no idea what you're talking about.

I guess this just means I'll have to replay FFVIII, which is, in fact, a game I like. It'll be in the Steam summer sale anyway.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oh hey the Android version of Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is finally out in English, over two years after the Japanese release. Anyone have any experience with the Japanese and/or the iOS versions, are they good ports that work well on a touch screen? Do they still have the slowdown from the PSP version?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I did it, I finished FF3DS (the Android port). There were times when I started thinking how it's not that bad, but then I ran into a boss that kills my entire team in one or two turns before I could do anything because they get two actions per turn (strangely enough, the final boss was one of the easiest boss fights in the entire game). Can't imagine playing through that without the mobile version's constant autosaving (or savestates I guess). gently caress FF3DS, it really is the worst game in the series.

Some of the music was nice though, and I really really like the final dungeon theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-LtSNkwprw

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Outside of emulators the mobile version of FF3DS is by far the best version to play because it autosaves after every battle and screen transition so you never lose any progress when you die to dumb bullshit.

It's still terrible.

The Let's Play 25 Years of Final Fantasy thread got to FFIII on page 24 and from there on has some good info on just what exactly is wrong with the DS version.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Apparently 3D graphics can't render old age since all the old men are in 16-bit games.

Also is Lulu seriously the oldest woman in the series at 22.

e: Oh yeah well Aeris is also 22.

VVVV Well I did mean playable character since that's all that people have been discussing here.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Gologle posted:

awww yeah, chrono tragger is commin back baby

Nah, it's gonna be The VR Battles of Worldrunner.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I don't think I've ever played FF1 without grinding the poo poo out of the Peninsula of Power, I'm pretty sure that counts as core gameplay.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Man, why isn't it the original blocky PSX Cloud character model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Well they did just release Life Is Strange in five episodes and Hitman will have new stuff added after initial release, so I guess the model is working for Square-Enix.