Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

GulagDolls posted:

ffuck saving the world.....we should like....pick up babes from every single era

That was already one of the endings in CT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SbeBqZ27bQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

From this my conclusion is Final Fantasy should be taken from Square Enix and given to Nintendo.

If not that then I'll settle for Nintendo-developed Seiken Densetsu games.

My friend let me tell you about a little game called Ever Oasis.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Nine Word Horror Story

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

so much for gambits being good am i right

I equipped Ruby Rings and Mirror Mails and everything worked out ok. It's that kind of "think on your feet" strategy that you just don't get in other Final Fantasy games.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 1, 2017

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Disruptive Wave sucks but don't pretend that it's only a problem with DQ8. I think they've been doing that since 4, and it's never not been annoying, even when you can use the ability yourself. And it's somehow still worth it to buff up, because any of the turns they're dispelling are turns you're not getting hit on, even if it's just part of a multi-turn set.

Disruptive Wave has been around since 3 (maybe 2?), but usually it was reserved for like, the final bosses or otherwise very important story bosses. But in 8 it's like, every boss for half the game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Emron posted:

I'm loving around with Reddas in my party since I'm about to go to Pharos and I think that's a point of no return? Just doing hunts and some espers, trying to get better weapons.

In that vein, if I've got a shikari/breaker as my A team tank/melee guy, are daggers my better option for the evade boost? I haven't even found any ninja swords.

Pharos isn't the point of no return, but completing it will kick Reddas out of your party so you may as well get some stuff done while you have an extra target/Arise caster running around with you.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Squall is a huge awkward dork.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

SNOT CORN posted:

I think this is the plot of 12 as well

12 is two separate factions going "Aha by trying to subvert one enemy you've played right into my hands!"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

My Hands was a good song and the FF13 franchise is better for it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It's very thematically appropriate for the 13 franchise. Stand By Me is also very appropriate for XV, but the first verse is maybe a bit too on the nose, but it's still extremely good.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

All your wishes will come true... via free to play phone games.

Mega64 posted:

I would watch Sephiroth impale the Final Fantasy series with his sword and let it fall into a watery abyss if it meant a direct sequel to Legend of Mana.

They can even just straight-out pull an After Years with the plot if it still has the same level of graphics and music. Legend of Mana is already pretty stupid, it'd work perfectly for that game.

Though I guess you may have to settle for "similar but legally distinct premium phone game"

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 10, 2017

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I'd be interested in hearing how SaGa Scarlet Grace ended up the way it did. It was obviously made on a five dollar budget, but the battles having two and half load screens is such a peculiar manifestation of that.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

12 has rough patches but it doesn't have multiple boring cutscenes that are just the characters riding in a car where nothing happens for minutes at a time. Just slooooowly driving along.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

No it has multiple boring bits where the game is

It's fun and entertaining, actually. It also has nice looking and interesting environments, which was something XV failed to deliver on (except for Havana, which was delightful)

Honestly, the sequence in FFXV where you have to sneak into an imperial base and capture a general, only for him to escape, off screen, five minutes later and never be heard from again, really sort of encapsulates XV's problems. It's like they looked back at XII and thought "Hey, you know what? The Judges got too much screen time and were too well developed"

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 11, 2017

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Oh really? Ok that kind of owns. Does Loqi come back too? Edit: Apparently he does in the same sequence. Nice.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I want to ride my chocobo all day

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Relin posted:

well i just learned about the canon ff10-2.5

lol

Hi, it's me, Auron's secret daughter. Lulu doesn't trust me, because Auron would have told them he had a daughter, because after all Auron's defining character trait was being extremely forthcoming with information.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

There are two things that I got mixed up: FFX-2.5 is the novel where Tidus blows himself up (but comes back to life) and he and Yuna are whisked off to another world to have an adventure, and then there's FFX-3, an audio drama which stars Auron's daughter and her friend (as new love interests for Tidus and Yuna) and involves Sin coming back in the same way Tidus did in X-2.5.

quote:

The developers wanted to have the story continue as a direct opposite of Tidus and Yuna's happy story, and thus Sin was brought back. Kitase commented that similar to Sephiroth's role in Final Fantasy VII, Sin plays an important role in Final Fantasy X and the developers wanted to keep Sin involved with the story.

This is honestly such a remarkably bad justification. Stories are told for a reason: Even as far back as FF1 there was a reason you played the version of the time loop where the Light Warriors prevail and not any of the instances where they fail. There's a reason so many RPGs have the player playing the characters who defeat the ancient sealed evil villain instead of the characters who seal it away. But it's particularly ridiculous here, because FFX's story is about Yuna and not any of the other high summoners because she breaks the Sin cycle instead if perpetuating it, and even FFX-2 tried to explore what Spira would look like now that Sin is gone forever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Gologle posted:

I literally have no idea who you're even talking about. Is this one of the guys from FF2?

He was the old guy you meet for like five minutes when you go to Havana in FF15 and then he dies off screen and everyone acts all traumatized and sad like it was this huge deal even though the player has spent a total of five minutes with the guy.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

The remake of Tales of Destiny is vastly superior to the original PSX game as well.

The PSX Tales of Phantasia was better than the SFC one. But then the GBA one was way worse wasn't it? In conclusion, remakes are a land of contrasts.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

When Kitase and his team first started development on Final Fantasy VII, he added, they saw some other company give a survey to little children that asked if they thought people come back to life after they die. “A lot of the kids actually said yes to that question,” Kitase said. “There are all these fantasy stories where, [for example], the princess would come back from death with the kiss of her prince. For children, it was normal for them that people would come back to life. And we wanted to question that idea and thought. So we wanted to depict that there is weight to life, and just put weight on the loss as well to life, and that’s where we all started with Final Fantasy VII. That was our core concept.”

This owns lmao.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Gilgamesh is from the Creator's race.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Relin posted:

ahhh i just realized zeromus gets loose and there's no resolution to that plot point. maybe we're to assume putting the dark crystals back sealed him?

Shh... shh... none of it matters anymore, the bad game is finished and you never have to think about it ever again.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Cross-posting from Switch thread.

I'm hyped.

Bravely Default went through a series of demos where they kept implementing user feedback, so make sure you let them know how you feel about the text speed.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It's exactly the same as the PC version including blurry-rear end backgrounds and a UI originally designed for touch screens, just in case anyone is wondering.

Ariana's impact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkjrRs0Y4N0

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Square Enix was built on power levels and gauges.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

She lost her phone and when she got a new one she couldn't remember his number.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

TL posted:

So I've never played FFV and picked up the GBA version on a whim. Anything I need to know going in?

There are twelve legendary weapons. They're weapons, they're legendary, and there are even twelve of them!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Do people like you just never look around and appreciate the environments? FF15 has a gorgeous world design with all kinds of cool poo poo to look at and like everyone else said it's cool and fun to listen to old FF soundtracks while doing that.

Are you just always like "it's been 10 whole seconds since I pressed a button this game sucks ugh" with every game?

Does it? Because way too much of it looked like my commute to work, which I do not find particularly exciting, even when I'm listening to classic FF music.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

purkey posted:

I don't think that Scottish conveys a hick accent very well :/

tbh all the ~wacky scottish tweets~ that went viral a few months ago makes it seem like an appropriate enough translation.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I didn't understand the last scene in ffxv and frankly I didn't care

it was basically this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23GrEhLUF_k

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

HD DAD posted:

Oh god, time is speeding up. It seems like literally a few months ago I was browsing for FF13 info as a college student and wondering when they’re going to finally give “Mr. 33cm” a proper name. Now I’m 30 and still playing these anime games. :v:

The cool part of getting older is that time stops having any meaning until you actually try to pin down when things happened, and that's how you end up realizing Super Mario Galaxy came out a decade ago.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Azure Horizon, the guy who admitted to coercing sex out of drunk straight guys while sober, and then had a complete meltdown when people said "that's rape, dude" and was summarily permabanned :allears: rip in pieces

Wasn't it his roommate? And he was like "anyway the next day he was acting really weird and wouldn't look me in the eye :confused:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Final Fantasy 12 is actually really good and the best Final Fantasy game since the PS1 era.