Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TARDISman posted:

The thing that makes him a pain in the rear end is that he resists everything, you have a new gameplay gimmick with commanding Cid, and if you do your usual boss opening move of slowing him, he hastes himself.

The thing is though, Evrae doesn't have counter-Haste, he just casts it once his HP hits below a certain breakpoint. (I wanna say below 50% but I didn't check because Auron was tearing through him.) It's the Sanctuary Guardian that has counter-Haste right off the bat, and at that point it decides to spam 9999 Curagas twice a turn more often than not. I forgot about that in my current playthrough, and got my face wrecked. :downs:

I love this new Sphere Grid though, I managed to pass Rikku through a large chunk of both Lulu and Yuna's areas, and got Holy before Seymour 2. That was a satisfying massacre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Vil posted:

If you beeline straight to beating the game, you can still get some reasonable challenge out of it. The more optional stuff you add, the more of a pushover the final area and final bosses are.

Not to say that even with a pimped out party that you can't be killed. I went into fighting Overdrive Sin all cocky about doing 20k per hit with my team's celestial weapons, and boy was I shocked when he opened the battle with an attack that petrified my entire party.

(He went down before we got to him the next time. gently caress you, Sin.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Excels posted:

Squall is an especially bizarre case in that he abruptly resolves like 50% of all his problems simply by having Rinoa "die" halfway through the game. He suddenly starts spilling all his personal poo poo to her dead body, like all he needed the whole time was a comatose friend to just sit there and listen for a while.

...Where are you getting that from? That entire scene is basically the culmination of his problems and where he starts to realize that his worldview is hosed up and has a bit of a mental breakdown over it. Saying that he resolves his issues just like that is just as wrong as saying Cloud is a big, sad, mope whingebox from the start of the game and never stops. (Not counting the sequels and poo poo, obviously)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

No, that assessment of Squall is pretty correct. Up until that point all he does is bitch about Rinoa and bitch about being the leader and bitch about this and bitch about that. He exhibits no real compassion for her, and treats her like an annoyance and a burden. Then she goes comatose and SUDDENLY all he can talk about is Rinoa and how he wants to hear her voice and how much he cares and how he'll do anything to make her better. It's totally jarring.

Congrats on missing the point, I guess? His entire point before his breakdown, his entire worldview is that he can't bring himself to form attachments, in any respect. Responsibility, leadership, friendship, romance, etc, because he fears loss and rejection, because he's been in that situation before. Several times, in fact, both with his real family (who he never knew) and his adopted family, so he taught himself to keep his distance.

The thing is, when leadership and other people are forced upon him, you see gradual cracks forming in his resolve, which he tries to cover up to maintain his image and keep his worldview from collapsing in on itself. Stuff like the scene where "They have to convince Squall just to go save her life" is right in line with that, because he tries to hide his desires and focusing on his duty, thinking it'd be inappropriate to pursue personal wants. The entire point is that he doesn't understand that, in a situation like that, it's appropriate to act selfishly.

By the time he breaks down, though, having lost what he had just started forming the first small attachments to is enough to bring his entire philosophy down, and without it, he has no idea what to do and, for the first time of his own volition, he goes off and does something extremely selfish. That's especially striking given the Japanese cultural mindset, but that's another long, dumb wall of text.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Excels posted:

The Chimeriad all did a Heel-Face Turn. Temporarily? Sort of? Honestly they just didn't have much left to do by that point.

Does something interesting actually happen with them? Last I played, they all just got written out of the plot after a point, and then just get killed off.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Don't Crazy Girl and Glasses Chimeriad eat it by being blasted off a cliff when you enter the final dungeon on Jude's side of the story? Like there was a pretty big scene between them and Alvin that made it seem to be pretty final.

I only played through the Milla route, and I really felt like I missed a lot of poo poo because they just get written out and then all you hear about it is Alvin being really tortured about a scene you have no idea about. Not a very good idea, that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Syrant posted:

When he should clearly have some kind of expression on his face he's just... got nothing but the fantest of smiles going on. It's really awkward.

That's the thing I really hate about the port, the company they outsourced it to totally didn't copy over all the nice little facial expressions all the characters tended to have in cutscenes. Now they're just stone-faced plastic doll people that occasionally smile or frown very very slightly. I think it takes away some of the charm and character of the game, but everything else is great. Too bad.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh gently caress you FFX. gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you. Five hours catching monsters and grinding spheres and I stumble into loving Dark Magus Sisters.

At least let me run from these fights you piece of poo poo game. Argh, this is the worst. :mad:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm just really pissed after doing: all the blitz ace grinding, most of the omega ruins/inside sin monster hunting, and grinding for stat spheres from arena monsters.

It's really dumb that you can just bump into an unwinnable, unescapable fight. Argh. Both Flee and Escape commands were greyed out, so no go either way. I mean, it's the bloody Mushroom Rock Road, nothing could even hope to kill me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Why would you play any game for five hours straight without saving once in the first place? I mean you literally warp to save points in that game and you never know when you get an unexpected crash/blackout etc.

Sucks to hear it either way though.

I had no idea they would have a superboss sitting in the middle of an area like that. I think this is one of those times that the Vita's suspend function kinda is the cause of all my problems, since instead of saving and turning it off, I just suspend it and go do something else for a few hours.

I thought all the Dark Aeons (short of Dark Valefor) were in weird, out of the way places. Oh well, now I know I guess, and it's back to getting where I was. (gently caress you monster catching)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

jesus christ

I refuse to believe my nostalgia goggles are so bad that i forgot this

No, you're right, they were way more expressive in the original. The HD conversion looks like they just made some new models, replaced the old ones, and called it done, and didn't redo mouth movements or expressions while they were at it to make them work with the new models.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

precision posted:

Paine is Squall if Squall were actually as cool as he thinks he is.

You're going to have to explain that one. She's exactly as cool as a character with crippling self-image problems thinks he is? Seems like she wouldn't be very cool at all then.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Welp, I've gone and beaten Nemesis and Penance and I go and check my Vita's trophy list, only to find that it didn't register me as doing any of that.

THANKS FFXHD. gently caress YOU TOO.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Chalk me up as another guy who doesn't like IX, it just hits all the wrong points for me. Characters are firmly locked into roles, an overbearingly steampunk setting, slow combat, and the number of characters I really like I can count on half of a hand.

V, VII, VIII, and X are my all time favorites, and there are enough individual parts of the three XIII games to make me say that I like it on the whole. V's mechanics stand out enough for me enough that I can forgive its steampunk-iness, VII/VIII/XIII have cool modern settings with little sprinklings of fantasy and varying degrees of full-party customization that I can just ditch the characters I hate and forget them forever, and there's really nothing about X that I dislike.

:words:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

Steampunk literally means nothing anymore.

It's shorter than saying "lazily designed faux industrial revolution design aesthetics using pre-modern technology to imitate modern advances". But a lovely aesthetic by any other name is just as lovely.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Five is considered steampunk?

Some areas do, like the floating island, crescent island, and the airship. Everything else is just standard medieval fantasy.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is there any particularly effective way to grind? I remember some guide using Overdrive >>> AP conversion to get you 99 Sphere Points if you left your game overnight or something weird like that.

Creating weapons for your whole party with Triple Overdrive, Triple AP, and Overdrive > AP and fighting, creating armors with Auto-Phoenix, and then fighting Don Tonberries will get you 99 sphere levels in a couple minutes. Even with Double OD/AP, you'll get at least 50 easily in the same timeframe, just by hitting X while doing something else.

As for Dark Valefor, once you get your Celestial weapons and do just a little bit of rudimentary grinding, he'll be a pushover in no time at all. The only thing you need to worry about is tanking his Overdrive, but Auto-Life or tanking it with a Summon will work perfectly fine.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So where's the best place to get four empty slot armors at the endgame?

If you talked to him up on Gagazet, Wantz will have moved to the entrance of Macalania Woods, and sells full empty four-slot weapons/armors for the entire party for 100k a pop.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hrmph...then I can afford...two of them.

And I still gotta buy Yojimbo so...now I need money. :(

Well, once you head over to the Omega Ruins, you can equip Rikku's Celestial Weapon (or anything with Gillionaire) and kill mimics to get a little over 100k a pop, so that's a good start.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

edit: nvm, I misread

Later on, though, apparently the most efficient way of making money is buying cheap armor, slapping SOS Regen on it (the material for which you get 40 a pop from killing Kottos in the arena), and selling those en masse. I've yet to get to that point, since I got like ten million from just catching monsters in Omega Ruins, but it's something to keep in mind for later.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 17, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno, it doesn't seem that hard to think up short summations of the basic plot for each game.

XIII: Your party is cursed and they set out to try and break the curse.
XIII-2: The sister of the main character from XIII travels through time to find out what happened to her sister.
XIII-3: You're on a mission from god to save the world in thirteen days.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Semantics, semantics, and also semantics. Making a perfectly accurate, short, pithy description for a plot with multiple twists and turns over the course of tens of hours is impossible, so just cutting it down to its barest of minimums is kinda required. Otherwise the description for FFVI/IX/etc would be hell to type out.

(And you are trying to save the world in XIII-3, just not the planet.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Occupation posted:

Eternity is also loving garbage and ironically liking it doesn't make it better

I bet you hate Metal Gear Rising's soundtrack too, don't you? Such a shame.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Can you still exploit the AI and just go behind the goalie with the ball and do something else while waiting or is that fixed for the International Release?

Yep, that still works. It's how I usually get my win against the Goers in the tournament. Some things never change.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

Seriously, I have no idea how you're supposed to do that without the crater trick.

According to the two people I know who did it 'legit', it involves a lot of crying and gnashing of teeth. Possibly some burns from the inevitable fire and brimstone too.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ethiser posted:

I like how Square-Enix's response to a guy messing up a game so bad they had to redo it from the ground up is to reassign him to work on another one of their games.

To be fair, this isn't a phenomenon unique to them. Or gaming companies. Or to most corporations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

Did that guy just one-shot emerald weapon? WTF?

Sort of? He used the Vincent animation skip glitch to skip the instant death animation from Cait Sith's Limit Break. If he used Death Penalty, he could've literally one-shot him with the overflow glitch.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've gone through college, three jobs, rehab, and two relationships in the time since they announced Versus. I'm basically not even the same person I was when it was announced at this point.

Look, you've never seen Ghostbusters, I don't think you're even allowed to laugh.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Any goodwill Ar Tonelico might have had was lost when they decided AT3 was something that needed to happen.

Thankfully AnS exists and we can try to pretend that AT3 didn't happen. It's even got an almost AT2-style battle system too.

SSNeoman posted:

Don't give up so easily! Tell him how in the second game you can power up your attacks to such an insane degree that the damage wraps around and heals enemies!

You don't even need to wait until AT2 to do that. The AT1 weapon improvement system is so ridiculously busted that at a certain point you start getting seven hits with each attack, each doing an extra 100% extra damage in every element with various status effects. For each of your three characters, before even using magic or skills.

Then the series started trying to shift towards magic in AT2 (still busted but on both ends), further in AT3 (where magic was the only thing that mattered), and now AnS where you wipe out entire fields of enemies in one spell. Oh Gust.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Let me know when they release Magical Tank Battle as DLC. :getin:

(Also some SaGa Frontier tracks too. Actually, gently caress it, just make a SaGa version of the game.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Come on Squeenix, release the Alkasier DLC no one knows they want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EugQfuu1Y6Q

Oh, I already knew I wanted it. :swoon: Too bad that Kenji Ito hasn't done a version for his remix tracks, but I guess you can't really improve perfection.

(Sadly they haven't released their off-album version in anything approaching good quality. I prefer that one.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

FFVIII's clock, if I remember right, loops three times over, changing colors each time. So it's actually a lot harder to max out the clock than a bunch of other games.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Well I guess I wrote another screed.

So, then, I'm sure you of all people would love Nomura's(?) version of Iron Man.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

Saw the second-saddest thing in Final Fantasy fandom this morning:

http://kotaku.com/it-took-two-years...dium=Socialflow

Does the first have to do with people crying over time limits in video games?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Or you could just play it because it's a good game?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

maou shoujo posted:

Safer Sephiroth actually can get boosts to his HP based on several conditions, one of which is casting KotR at Jenova or Bizzaro Sephiroth. KotR will still horribly murder him regardless of HP boosts.

That was actually one of my favorite things about the final bosses, they got stronger the more powerful your party was, and the more overpowered poo poo you used in the previous fights. Too bad that a 5x HP buff still wasn't quite enough but still, I think it's cool and more games should do it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Well, ignore it at least. I mean if you think it's an interesting take on it there's no harm in rolling with it, but if it said 'FFVII was Cloud's dying gay hallucination and he actually died back in Nibelheim' or 'the final boss of our FFIV fanfic actually destroyed the worlds of several other beloved final fantasy games' you'd be excused for dismissing it as pointless bullshit, the fact that the Ultimanias are generally less insane doesn't change that they're built on the same shakey foundations

Anything Kamiya wanted to say he has plenty of time to say in the game

Postmodernism has gone too far, reset it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

no but see if i dont apply death of the author to final fantasy then i cant write my thesis on how the whole thing is one mans lashing out at the world that looks down on him for wanting to be dominated by a big man in a sailor suit

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

I know, why would people talk about characters in Final Fantasy in this, the Final Fantasy general discussion topic? good addition with the doge meme

Don't do this. Don't engage.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wait, since when was Squall good? I never played 012, but I remember him being awful in the first game because he didn't have any brave>hp moves, and even though his brave moves were fast and strong, his HP moves were ridiculously slow and had bad hitboxes. What happened in 012?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Actually, it's Saga Frontier

Play the one that lets you be a superhero.