Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

re: ethanol in general you can run into people today who should know better saying things like "I can't drink rum because I get angry drunk on rum" so when you've only got two or three alcoholic options it's not hard to imagine people thinking wine drunk and beer drunk were totally different when people still do that today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I know there are some fermented beverages that are chewed and spit prior out to fermentation for the enzymes.
Chicha and Masato are a couple of the big ones. Apparently Sake has also been made this way

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

That's a French 75 with some substitutions (gin -> vodka, lemon -> lime). Not sure how that relates either.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Ottomans used siege artillery to break through the walls of Constantinople. The French 75 is a cocktail named after a famous artillery gun type. That's the connection.
I did know that about the French 75! Thanks for figuring it out!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The North Tower posted:

I don’t remember if it was this thread, but I seem to remember a theory that the animal Anubis is based off of is possibly an extinct species of caninae. Does anyone know more about this?
Jackals aren't extinct yet

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Context was how the Predators (of Predator [1987] fame) use a segmented LCD numeral/alphabet system where each digit/letter is a vertical pair of asterisks:

flavor.flv posted:

That makes me realize that if cuneiform had survived to the present era, it would have been really easy to make led text displays

FFT posted:

Maybe with deliberate and major adaptation, but acute triangles where directionality matters would have been way more difficult to adapt than our line-based system

(Not gonna pretend these are 100% accurate, of course, given how unlikely it is that any cuneiform systems hit 1:1 on English letters like that)

FFT posted:

Yeah, here we go, phonemes. (Copied out of this article that references actual authorities on cuneiform)

Try that on a segmented display lmao
This seems like the thread to ask: how (im)practical would/could a segmented LCD version of cuneiform be?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

That was the specific video I had in mind about the dififculties of segmented displays actually lol

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

if it was just an everyday utility object it doesn't really make sense that some of them were made of gold and were decorated. if i had to venture a guess id say they were used to display something
Split the difference imo

Clearly they were dual-purpose: displaying rings and measuring ring sizes

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Fond memories of that one Dwarf Fortress story about selling tons of cinnabar cups to the elves

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tomn posted:

I vaguely recall that in Europe at least the modern template for restaurants was developed in France in the 18th century, but details are fuzzy and there ARE eateries of various kinds elsewhere throughout history. Don't recall offhand what exactly distinguished that French tradition of restaurants from older things like inns.
The biggest difference was having a menu instead of "the stew has x and y tonight" iirc

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

galagazombie posted:

What’s the latest we know of an Italic language still existing that wasn’t a Romance language?
"ʻŌlelo"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Seriously. Set aside 17 hours for a variety show from Japan or Korea and see how many of the jokes land (I am presuming you are not Japanese or Korean here) and how much of it is just people laughing at stuff that makes zero sense to you. It's a good example of how culturally linked humor is.
Turn on the subtitles.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

Maybe? If the joke is someone said shut the door, but the words for door and mouth are very close and the humor is that it sounded like they told someone to shut up how are you going to translate that through without either a kludgey explanation or substituting another similar, but still different joke in.
"Shut the front door" is already used as a euphemism for "shut the gently caress up"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of how in Babylon 5, apparently Earth's most popular cultural export is The Three Stooges.
To tie into the other discussion, one of the only episodes I actually watched back in the day had Jack the Ripper as an abductee diplomat or something?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Göbekli Tepe directly contradicts that claim. It was a huge storehouse and ritual gathering site built by hunter/gatherers. There are numerous sites like it in Turkey and elsewhere.

Preservation for future use was absolutely a part of pre-agricultural society. They were not stupid or naive.
I'm not convinced Gobekli Tepe was fully pre-agricultural. Modern wheat was domesticated roughly contemporary to it and also not very far away.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

And also studying native americans as a more documented form of hunter gatherer gets weird because most of them were a whole lot more sedentary before the Columbian plagues game.
Hell, see also Celilo Falls which had thousands of years of settlement history wiped out in living memory.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

My guess is "it could be any number of things, pickled in red vinegar"

Or "the paint colors as seen aren't identical to how they started because the different pigments used faded at different rates." Or part of a floral/other design that was painted onto the plate itself.

stringless fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 28, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's entirely possible that a mozzarella precursor was available in Pompeii by 79 CE.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Admiral Bosch posted:

I've been rewatching hbo's Rome in the background at work recently and I have what is probably a really minor question. It frequently shows the generals/caesars/etc using a soldier who has gotten on their hands and knees as a stepstool to mount their horse. I know that Rome didn't have stirrups/saddle horns and the like, but is there any historicity to that little detail specifically? Or is that something they made up since it seems sufficiently imperious? One would think with all the rest of poo poo in the baggage train they'd have a stepstool for the important people to get on their horse instead of vaulting onto it.
From first principles (i.e. I am talking out of my rear end) it's a hell of a lot more hassle to go "fetch the mounting stool!" than it is for someone nearby to get on one knee so the other knee can be used as a step.

That can gently caress up knees and legs, whereas backs are somewhat armored or at least have the support of all four limbs.

So, again, still speaking entirely out of my rear end, it does make a sort of sense as both a power move and not injuring soldiers.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I do: cheese is delicious.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

Neat.

What mountain* is that?

*I'm guessing from it's solitude it's actually a Volcano.
Mount Egmont

Took longer to make this post than it took to find it with satellite view lol

/e: oh the park is still called Mount Egmont, that was what Captain Cook named it. It was changed back to the original Maori name in 1986

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 10, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Sealed jars at Abydos? What out for symbiotes.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

skasion posted:

Canst thou draw out Leviathan with a taxonomy?
What a silly question, they're of the Leviathan type.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I'm partial to the idea that the Sahara is really just the first Dust Bowl even though there isn't much support for it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

zoux posted:

Current one is sublime
Yeah but it didn't get tapped in the explicitly relevant conversation over several pages a few pages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's also difficult to put a finger on which side of the rear end in a top hat vs. power/money is causative. Thatcher's Britain basically gave property to a whole bunch of fairly normal people and "having something to lose" seemed to make them assholes as planned, for instance.

Could be a direct correlation on average, tbh.