Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

bony tony posted:

This thread comes back to Hot Fuzz every fifty pages or so and I love it every time

https://i.imgur.com/tXVdEjL.mp4

"You can't just make people disappear."

"Yes, I can. I'm the Chief Inspector. *menacing sneer*"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I think it was Red Mars that got into the physical complexities of living on Mars and according to that book, you'd have to live several feet underground in order to avoid constant exposure to stellar radiation due to the lack of a magnetosphere. No thank you.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I will say that some movies/shows have really put a lot of effort into getting gun fights to be super intense compared to '80s-'90s era shootouts which are on par with Always Sunny's mocking representation in their lethal weapon home movies.

Generation Kill was pretty good at that with a pretty low body count kind of depiction of war and Sicario comes to mind for the shootout at the border and in the caves. John Wick movies just kinda get silly after a while though because that's really all there is to it.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Not gonna lie and say I don't enjoy the JW movies, but there's not a lot of substance beyond watching him shoot plenty of dudes and then reload at the appropriate time and manipulate a bunch of guns.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Pilchenstein posted:

What plot there is in the sequels actively annoys me. It's difficult to put into words how little I care about the stupid loving crime hotel where everything costs exactly one pirate doubloon :v:

Yeah, honestly the plot is kinda a drag

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

It was a Christmas party and after hours

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

is the howie scream the sound effect they use for the TIE fighters' engines?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Gejimayu posted:

Isn't Sunshine the movie that starts as fairly serious sci fi and ends with a stupid sun zombie chasing everyone around? cause that sucked.

It's like that Futurama episode where Leela keeps insisting that Fry has ocean madness, but in space. Both well documented phenomena.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

that's a lot of words that I do not understand in that order

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

In the comedy series Au Service de la France, the colonel is reading a book in bed titled mémoires de guerre by Charles de Gaulle, but the dust jacket slips off and you can see for a second that he's actually reading a book called la vie exemplaire de Phillip Pétain and it's later revealed that the colonel was a collaborator

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Lemony posted:

Oh man, I never noticed that and it is a fantastic detail.

There are a lot of fantastic moments in that show. My two favourites, neither of which is actually subtle, are the French agents not being able to understand the Quebecois FLQ guys and the CIA agents trying to explain to the French how they will be able to control JFK because of all the dirt they have on him. To paraphrase:

"He likes women and sleeps around a lot."

"Yes, and?"

"...That's not so good for a politician."

"Really? Why?"

I'm glad someone else has seen it. I've mentioned this to coworkers living in France and even they were unaware of this wonderful series. My favorite throwaway joke is during training for Algeria, the main character ignores the woman in a hijab and the agent stops the training to yell at him that "in the context of terrorism, women must be considered people!"

Another somewhat subtle, but later overt, joke is when the agent's tenants in Alger were all killed by Merlaux because he identified them as terrorists, the agent is on the phone talking to a new potential tenant, and he says something like "oh, four generals, ok!" later revealed to be the founding members of the OAS

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

franco posted:

Not quite the same but magician Paul Daniels did a live Halloween special in the 80s where, while performing an escape artist bit with an iron maiden, the door slammed shut on him, the screen dimmed, and an announcer in the studio told the audience to leave in an orderly fashion. Roll credits with no audio.

I saw it at the time and it freaked little me out. There were thousands of calls to the BBC asking if he was okay.

Went to an escape artist live show thing and the big finale was the guy escaping from a tank of water and they really built up how dangerous it was as part of the act and I realized woof i don't like the idea of potentially seeing someone die in front of me

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Right, but part of the entertainment is the idea that it's dangerous and that was the part that turned me off a lot is what I was saying

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

i couldn't tell apart those two guys in the prestige

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Roblo posted:

Maximum of two spitfires. And one maybe two Royal Navy ships. And maybe 15 little ships.

Oh boy. Impressive.

God that was dissapointing.

Maybe 10 French soldiers too. I don't remember a single thing from the movie other than British people queuing and I think there was a sinking boat and a plane.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

A Terrible Person posted:

Yet only Cilian Murphy has hanged dong in a movie (28 Days Later, 2002) and, so far as I know, Margot Robbie has never hanged (hung?) dong at all.

Amazing performers both, nonetheless.

hanged dong = he dangled someone from the neck with his dong until dead

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

When they were modelling the virtual Moff Tarkin for Rogue One they used the lifecast mask of Peter Cushing taken while shooting Top Secret to build his magnifying-glass eye prosthetic.

https://www.tomspinadesigns.com/news/media/grand-moff-tarkin-lifecast-rogue-one/

I wish they'd not have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

i was right about this then, and im right about it now.

What action takes place in the middle? Is that the raid on the house?