Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

kim jong-illin posted:

What’s the right reading order for the Urdesh books? I bounced off Serpent and the Saint because it felt like there was tons of backstory I’d missed out on, but I can’t work out which books to read first.

Urdesh ties into a bunch of wider stuff written by Abnett, rather than Farrer.

Gaunt's Ghosts - read the series up til Sabbat Martyr to get to know Brin Milo. Key novels would be Honour Guard and Sabbat Martyr, that introduce the Saint type stories.

Then Anarch / Warmaster from the same series tie into later events in Magister and the Martyr (the second Urdesh book).

Brothers of the Snake introduces Priad and the Iron Snakes, who show up in numbers in the Urdesh books. Also ties into the Dark Tusk renegades who are in both books.

Characters from Titanicus are also in Urdesh.

ADB created the World Eater character who is in Urdesh, in a short story.

Chronologically the reading order would be something like this...

Brothers of the Snake
Sabbat Martyr
Titanicus
Arnoguar (ADB short story)
Urdesh duology
The Warmaster
Anarch

Amongst that you could also add the GG novels Honour Guard (more Saint stuff) and Traitor General (Wirewolves!) if you really wanted to flesh out stuff that appears in Urdesh, although I think the Urdesh books provide enough context for this stuff to stand alone.

Edit: although if you're only selectively reading the GG novels that give you context for Urdesh you'll run into the same issue of not having any context for the stuff that happens in the GG series..so you may as well run the series.

a shitty king fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Mazed posted:

Okay, the Alpharius book ranks number one out of the Primarchs books with almost contemptuous ease.

I love how the narrative is equal parts revelatory and blatantly full of poo poo.

It's a bit surprising that there's not more Black Templars stuff. They've got a strong aesthetic that reflects the gothic vibe that makes the 40k setting stand out, and it isn't all that hard to explain "fanatically violent supersoldier knights in space" to franchise newcomers.

Templars are almost too fascist to make good protagonists, even amongst everyone else. Grimaldus is a fascinating character thanks to ADB but he's not exactly a hero.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/28/sunday-preview-start-new-adventures-into-the-underworlds/

You want some books? Course ya do!

Well a book I suppose, since all we get for pre-order next weekend is the limited edition of Yndrasta: The Celestial Spear by Noah Van Nguyen.

As per usual, limited to 1250 copies, no idea how hotly wanted this one is so you might get a chance if you want it.
No promises though.

If audiobooks are more your thing, then you have two things to look forward to. As we have audiobook versions of Ciaphas Cain: Choose Your Enemies and Fall of Damnos going up for pre-order.
Although the second one is a Nick Kyme book. So order at your own peril.

It's been a real slow news day at BL ever since End and the Death vol 1. Just announce part 2 already! We know it's ready to go!

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Mzuri posted:

I have a week of holiday coming up fast and I have read Serious Books for too long. I just want to read good, fun books.

I enjoyed Eisenhorn, Ravenor and Pariah. I have also read all the Gaunt's Ghosts books (liked them) as well as Titanicus(good) and Space Wolf (ok, not great). The last 40k book I read was the siege of Baal (ok).

What should I read if I care about a good story first and lore a distant second?

Carrion Throne and sequels, Night Lords trilogy, Assassinorium: Kingmaker, The Infinite and the Divine, Lords of Silence (stinky boys), Rites of Passage, Vaults of Terra duology, Double Eagle, Urdesh duology (ties into Gaunt's Ghosts heavily).

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

Edit: reply is not edit.

Goofed yeah, it's Nov 7th instead of Sept. Dunno how I hosed that up.

Until BL itself announces the release date I'll take any 3rd party reveals with a pinch of salt. Amazon has been known to randomly put release dates for BL novels in the past that are pulled out of their arses.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Biplane posted:

Im too poor for physical books, when is the ebook up for sale :mad:

In the past the ebook has become available at the same time as the special editions and hardbacks.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

There was also a very sudden Night Lords cameo that served no purpose other than to lead to one character dying and giving the main character something to hate. Which I also assumed tied in to the Salamander books for all I know.

This story is actually paired up with an ADB short story about his Night Lord characters on the same hulk. It's much better than Kyme's story.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The most interesting BL stories are the ones where someone tries to do something genuinely heroic and finds themselves battling both the forces of Chaos and the Imperium they’re trying to protect. Heroism exists, but it is not the natural state of the Imperium.

Gaunt's Ghosts has a really interesting character in the latest arc, Mabbon Etogaur, who is a former Guardsman who went over to Chaos, then went back to the Imperium. He's presented as a pacifist who's questioning why they're fighting in the first place and whats it all for and everyone treats him like a complete freak.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Although Warmaster or Anarch reveals there definitely was a lot more to him than that.

Absolutely, it's a reveal that only makes the character more interesting and engaging imo

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

euphronius posted:

What if the Ecclesiarchy and Administratum were combined tho? I’m positive that would work well

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Im blanking on the story name and it might not have been the ghosts, but there was a daemon prince or daemon in palace or something that they ended up calling orbital lance strikes on.

Edit: Might have been a chaos spawn? Iirc it was portrayed as being strong enough that orbital lance strikes was reasonable.

The demon they nuke from orbit is in one of the Ghostmaker shorts, and if we're talking 'inconsistent' the worst place to look is early 40k Abnett. Daemons definitely were just greebly monsters early on, much like the Ghosts chumping Marines fairly easily in the first two books.

The daemon in Armour of Contempt isn't explicitly a Bloodthirster. Abnett is good about not explicitly naming stuff like the models, no NounVerber Verb Nouns, just unspeakably horrid stuff he describes interestingly. That's a fantastic sequence, the daemon is barely seen and it instantly routs the Guard.

Rereading the GG series at the moment. Early books characters refer to Chaos forces and Chaos stuff a lot, which I always found pretty lame. Then around the time he writes Legion Abnett starts calling Chaos stuff different names, The Primordial Annihilator, the Sanguinary Tribes, the Archonate. His Chaos is some of the most interesting, he fleshed out the culture of it.

I forgot Anarch opens with an Urdeshi religious quote that ostensibly applied to The Emperor but could easily be read as referring to the Chaos gods, and there's references throughout to the Urdeshi playing both sides and just seeing them both as occupiers.

He's seeding this stuff too in The Vincula Insurgency, implying something similar about Tanith.

Not sure what I was trying to say here but I just think they're neat.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

That's a tuesday though. GW doesn't release books in the middle of the week.
In which case I figure it'll maybe come out on the 27th, and then the third party retailers get it later.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/27/graham-mcneills-classic-storm-of-iron-returns-in-a-dazzling-hardback/

It's now Storm of Iron's time to get a reprint with a newer cover. That's about it.

Whenever this book crops up I'm reminded of a post on an old 40k fanfic forum I hung out on in aeons past, wherein someone mentioned they hated the book so much they threw it against a wall.

Canon alert!!! Honsou doesn't get his living metal arm until the crossovers with Uriel Ventris.

Boy I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Even though you'd want to do Eisenhorn first, I feel like the first Ravenor book works best for adaptation. Crazy small scale fight sequences, the circus scene would be amazing and the climax happens on board a ship and on an alien cantina type area. All eminently affordable for a high end TV drama.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Cavill is doing Eisenhorn and filming hasn't started yet but there have been claims it is actively moving forward as a project

You're conflating two things. An Eisenhorn show was in very early development by the guy who did Man in The High Castle but the last news on it was in 2020 so it's either dead or very dormant.

Cavill has signed a deal with Amazon to develop a TV show in the 40k universe but it isn't confirmed as Eisenhorn (though he is on record as a fan of them).

Whether the earlier deal has become part of the later deal is up to conjecture.

If the show had started shooting or gotten beyond early development stages we'd have had an announcement of some kind, casting notices, etc.

I'd hope they'd shoot in the UK and I'm in the UK industry and haven't heard anything about it.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the show that amazon is making. I am going to assume we will get a teaser or some poo poo in the next couple months or at least more details.

There will be no teaser as they haven't even begun shooting yet. Principal photography and casting on large shows like that is announced when it happens. There won't be a teaser or trailer until shooting has wrapped. I finished S3 of Alex Rider back in March and there still isn't a trailer out for that.

They'll maybe announce more but it is so early development I doubt they've even got scripts yet.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Waroduce posted:

so the LE is going at....10AM GMT and I gotta wake up at 5:45/6AM EST to make it?

When is TEATD II actually going on sale? The announcements never make it clear.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

I expecting some sort of time fuckery or big changes to chaos, given some of the character deaths. Khârn especially comes to mind.

Wasn't the earliest Khârn lore always that he was killed on Terra and carried off planet, where he miraculously revived? Then Skalthralax was the next time he was lore relevant.

Which big change to Kharn are you referring to?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Didn't Khârn respawn on the Conqueror after Sigismund ended him on Terra? But stuck in noclip mode and couldn't leave or was that just all in Lotara's head?

Echoes of Eternity Spoilers
They mention in Echoes of Eternity that the Conquerer is haunted by the dead, and as Kharn hasn't revived yet I guess he counts.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I'm unbelievably hyped to see what word salad vomit Abnett has cooked up for us. It comes out this Sunday right?

a shitty king fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 20, 2023

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

They do. The last few SoT ebooks leaked early so I am really hoping to get it this weekend.

How did those last few even leak? They get accidentally put online for a moment?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
The Warhammer Horror imprint seems to have dried up hasn't it? They never announced an official shuttering of it did they?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Tonight at 11pm CST as far as Amazon kindle is concerned. I can't wait.

It's up on my kindle. Reading now.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

moths posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but who was the woman's voice that helped defeat Samus? Was that Mersadie or a hook for later?

Was it not Maeur in the library reading from the book?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

In the Gaunt's Ghost books, there's a planet - Urdesh - that has changed hands between Chaos and Imperial at least once. I was under the impression that it happened a couple of times in modern times, but everything I can find online suggests that it initially declared for the Warmaster during the Heresy, then was purged of heretek influence afterwards. In 40K proper it was captured again during the Sabbat crusade, then retaken 8 or so years later.

In Warmaster and Anarch, it's made clear a lot of the Urdeshi simply view the Imperium and Chaos as two different colonisers. In fact there's religious frescos mentioned in the books (or possibly the Urdesh series?) that could be interpreted as depicting either aspects of the Emperor or the Chaos Gods, depending on who's viewing them and interpretation.

I love what Abnett has done with the Chaos societies in the Sabbat books, as a really very different society but still a society.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

I watched a couple of YT previews and they looked quite nice, if a bit numbers-heavy in a janky '90s/'00s tabletop sort of way. Also the companions seemed to be the most default archetypes of their respective factions imaginable, but that's unavoidable since it's the first 40k CRPG ever and there's already a shitload of lore for non-40k-nerds. It's probably going to be my next video game after I'm done with Cyberpunk.

One lore related thing that bothered me: in one of the videos, I saw a group of Dark Eldars yelling about the Blood God which made me squint a little. Do you know if the game acknowledges them as an aberration or otherwise justifies that in some way? I'm hoping they're supposed to be possessed or something, 'cause it would be literally a CS Goto tier blunder otherwise.

Don't some DE still worship Khaine? Who is sort of a Blood God right? There's something there about Khaine and Khorne being similar entities if not aspects of each other in some way.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Ben Counter has done some pretty decent short stories though. Definitely remember reading a couple of his in some anthologies and liking those, even if the names escape me right now and I'd have to look up the book reviews I did last year for specifics.

He also wrote the Mechanicus video game which has excellent characters and dialogue.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Interview with Dan Abnett about concluding the Heresy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w395Z5Uk1f8

Says he's finished another 40k novel connected to an ongoing series here already so I wonder if we'll get more Abnett this year.

He also said it was a refreshing change of pace so I actually think it won't be the final Bequin book.

My wildcard prediction is he finally did his Double Eagle sequel he's been on about for 15 years, Interceptor City.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

I would bet they had him do a Dawn of Fire book. They really want it to be a thing especially with HH ending. Which is fine the last one by Wraight was excellent, just a series that needed good authors.

He said it was connected to one of his own ongoing series, so I'd say that rules out Dawn of Fire.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Oh poo poo, a new Simon Spurrier novel? His ‘Fire Warrior’ is one of my favorite BL books of all time.

It's a reprint of an older book he did rather than a new novel. AFAIK Spurrier hasnt written for BL for a long time.

Lord of the Night was pretty well regarded back in the day and definitely informed where ADB took the NL with his books.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Has he really been writing a sequel to Double Eagle or is this a bit?

He's implied hes returned to an old series that's been a palate cleanser after EOTD.

It's speculation that it's either the Double Eagle sequel he's been talking about writing for a decade plus, or another GG novel. Could be another Ghost Dossier, which don't have any huge series baggage and the previous one was a way to return to old characters without the weight of continuity and advancing the plot.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

What are even the big beats of the Scouring? Most of the traitor homeworlds are already cinders, aren't they

The Iron Cage is the most famous event by a long shot, then the destruction of Caliban I guess... then what? The Night Lords' last stand at Tsagualsa has been partially covered already, I guess it could get expanded upon but ehhh. The planet where Lorgar was chilling during TEATD could make for a bit of a story before it gets brutally eliminated. Anything else?

(A bunch of books about the reorganisation of the Imperium and the political clashes over the Codex could be really nice, but there's zero chance GW puts out any books without the required 5-10 battle scenes.)

I could see a Skalthralax book, that's always felt like a fun setting in the moments it's been referenced in other material.

Scouring segues pretty naturally into the Legion Wars in the Eye, which have been covered somewhat by the Black Legion series but there's elements there that could be expanded on / developed.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Pretty sure he does have a scoresheet to keep track of members because there's so many. Mild spoilers for the 3rd and 4th book: However there are occasions where someone pops up in a future book despite being dead because Abnett forgot and had to write in a retcon. Looking at you, Lucky Bonin

The most recent Sabbat World's Anthology had a short story set after Anarch that made a point of highlighting a lot of the Ghost's first names, so people who've been in the series for 20 years as just Haller suddenly got first names.

I remember Abnett (or someone running his Facebook page) soliciting fans to check if certain characters had already established first names or not. So there is some reliance on fan databases for certain things.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Kylaer posted:

I read that he was having some significant problems with depression, I don't know if he's found any relief from it. Hoping so but it's a difficult thing to achieve.

Has he said anything recently? He came off social media a few years ago and stopped blogging, but apart from his afterword in Echoes of Eternity I didn't think he'd said anything else publicly.

Pretty sure before he stopped blogging he'd mentioned working on the 2nd Emperor's Spears novel and 3rd Black Legion one.

There was definitely a theory that End and the Death would have some major lore shakeups it that'd affect future books. But how that bears out now its been published I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

I could be conflating like 3 different things I've read and heard but I could have sworn I saw a post from ADB saying BL3 was done but was being held back for revelations in End and the Death pt3.

Also I didn't know this thread was here, time to go back like 300 pages and read up. I just finished catching up on Dawn of Fire up to the current point and am most of the way done with Renegades: Lords of Excess right now, up next will be the new Deathworlder book

I think you might be conflating theorising that happened in this thread and elsewhere, ADB has never said that.